Thread: Security guard badly hurt after condo gate collapses on him

Default Security guard badly hurt after condo gate collapses on him

Can the guard sue the mgt council for this? Hope the estate has public liability insurance to cover themselves.

=========================================================

Security guard badly hurt after condo gate collapses on him

By Pearl Lee

A SECURITY guard, struggling to close a huge metal gate at a condominium, was badly injured when it unhinged and fell on him.

Mr Soman Marcel Pereira, 59, suffered a dislocated shoulder, a fractured pelvic bone and cracks on his backbone from the crash at Yong An Park condominium in River Valley Road.

"I will have to go for surgery in the next few days," he told The Straits Times yesterday from his bed in the high dependency unit at Singapore General Hospital.

The gate collapsed on Friday when Mr Soman was teaching a new colleague how to close it.

"It was about 10am and I was trying to shut it when suddenly it fell."
    The gate was to have been opened and shut with a switch which, however, was faulty, he said. He would carry out the task manually every morning.
    Mr Soman, a security guard for 15 years, said he noted that the gate was not working correctly the day he started work at Yong An Park last December.
    He informed his supervisor about it several times, he added.

Describing his ordeal, he said he was pinned down for around 15 minutes as his fellow security guard and the condominium's gardener tried to free him by lifting the gate.

But it weighed more than 100kg and they succeeded only after several onlookers and residents rushed to their aid.

"I was trapped for 15 to 20 minutes and I struggled to breathe," Mr Soman said.

Yesterday, the condominium's manager, Mr Lee Kheng Guan, told The Straits Times it would be "taking necessary steps to prevent a repeat of this unfortunate incident".

He added: "One possible solution would be to replace this heavy metal gate with a lighter one and have it motorised."

But his words brought little comfort to Mr Soman. "They should have replaced the faulty gate before an accident happened, not after it happened and (then talking) about what to do."

The faulty gate is closed till further notice, said Mr Lee.

But several residents were seen using the small door within the gate when The Straits Times visited the condominium yesterday evening.

[email protected]
    Copyright © 2013 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Similar incident which resulted in death happened before to SMRT guard
    http://thecourtroom.stomp.com.sg/sto...00kg_gate.html

I was at Yong An Park yesterday - explains why I was surprised to see that there was no gate / barrier to entry and I could just drive in.

This is an old dame. Time to enbloc.

Personally, I think it will be difficult for YAP to en-bloc. It's 1 of those really old school condos like Tanglin Park and Dairy Farm with huge old trees, a lot of greenery, which can never be replaced in the central part of Singapore.

Plus there are many huge units, and the guys who own them probably don't need the money / can't survive in smaller units.

Some photos I took yesterday:

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    This is an old dame. Time to enbloc.

Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    Personally, I think it will be difficult for YAP to en-bloc. It's 1 of those really old school condos like Tanglin Park and Dairy Farm with huge old trees, a lot of greenery, which can never be replaced in the central part of Singapore.

Plus there are many huge units, and the guys who own them probably don't need the money / can't survive in smaller units.

Some photos I took yesterday:

There a lot of free up space and garden...nice environment in fact apart being a bit old...

Quote Originally Posted by zzz1
    There a lot of free up space and garden...nice environment in fact apart being a bit old...
    u can't hardly get this kind of spacious developments in D9 liao. maybe ardmore park?

I love the place! This and Tanglin Park are my 2 favourite old condos

Yong An Park is great for own stay.

got an old charm homey feel...is that a private porch for parking?

wahhhhh ! I am impressed ! This is magical land . Frankly I never see this kinda condo even in Hong Kong ! so much better than PacMan. me go propertyguru check the price of this project liao.

for the townhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by waterviewer88
    got an old charm homey feel...is that a private porch for parking?

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader
    wahhhhh ! I am impressed ! This is magical land . Frankly I never see this kinda condo even in Hong Kong ! so much better than PacMan. me go propertyguru check the price of this project liao.
    OUCH!!!! saw 4mil, 7mil, 11mil on propertyguru.....kenna toto also not enough

which MA is it... ought to be shot. sleeping since dec.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    OUCH!!!! saw 4mil, 7mil, 11mil on propertyguru.....kenna toto also not enough
    that is why i said Singapore Pool's prize of $600K is not enough, remember ? It should start at S$3million at every new draw.

Yup. 4 storey townhouses. 2 parking lots per unit.

Other units' resident parking is underground. Ample lots for residents and visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    for the townhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader
    that is why i said Singapore Pool's prize of $600K is not enough, remember ? It should start at S$3million at every new draw.
    heh, $600k not even enough to buy resale HDB nowadays in RCR

heh, $600k not even enough to buy resale HDB nowadays in RCR

talk cock again. 3bed room cannot meh? why must buy resale. BTO so many. as usual talk cock sing song.

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority
    talk cock again. 3bed room cannot meh? why must buy resale. BTO so many. as usual talk cock sing song.

totally irrelevant, WAHAHAHAH! the issue is not whether to buy resale or brand new BTO

let me hold your hand - to disprove my statement, all you need to do is show proof that $600k can buy resale HDB in RCR.

give you another personlized quote

"While the irrelevant may not be stupid, the stupid will always be irrelevant" - Sir A.W.

u can't hardly get this kind of spacious developments in D9 liao. maybe ardmore park?
    Yap.. In these area , the developments mostly concrete made.. Every inch is maximized by developer to convert into sellable cash.... Hardly any field for the foot to touch the real soil..

Quote Originally Posted by starrynight
    I love the place! This and Tanglin Park are my 2 favourite old condos
    Good to have one before extinct.

totally irrelevant, WAHAHAHAH! the issue is not whether to buy resale or brand new BTO

let me hold your hand - to disprove my statement, all you need to do is show proof that $600k can buy resale HDB in RCR.

give you another personlized quote

"While the irrelevant may not be stupid, the stupid will always be irrelevant" - Sir A.W.
    ..u have a hard core fan..
    U can start a fan club Liao..lol

nice place. I need to find a rich husband lieow

..u have a hard core fan..
    U can start a fan club Liao..lol
    heh, thank you thank you.

at this rate i'm conjuring up these quotes, i can author a book "Tuesdays with minority - A new perspective on being dumb"

OIC

at this rate i'm conjuring up these quotes, i can author a book "Tuesdays with minority - A new perspective on being dumb"
    deadly gunslinger with razor-sharp backhanded compliment sword that you dont know what hit you till it's too late
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

only u have patience with him haha

poor guard hope he is ok...yong an park is beautiful in its own way..
    i love these type old skool condos...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Default Security guard badly hurt after condo gate collapses on him

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...s-him-20130326

Security guard badly hurt after condo gate collapses on him

Published on Mar 26, 2013

Mr Soman suffered a dislocated shoulder, a fractured pelvic bone and cracks on his backbone. He expects to go for surgery soon. -- PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO

By Pearl Lee

A SECURITY guard, struggling to close a huge metal gate at a condominium, was badly injured when it unhinged and fell on him.

Mr Soman Marcel Pereira, 59, suffered a dislocated shoulder, a fractured pelvic bone and cracks on his backbone from the crash at Yong An Park condominium in River Valley Road.

"I will have to go for surgery in the next few days," he told The Straits Times yesterday from his bed in the high dependency unit at Singapore General Hospital.

The gate collapsed on Friday when Mr Soman was teaching a new colleague how to close it.

"It was about 10am and I was trying to shut it when suddenly it fell."

The gate was to have been opened and shut with a switch which, however, was faulty, he said. He would carry out the task manually every morning.

Mr Soman, a security guard for 15 years, said he noted that the gate was not working correctly the day he started work at Yong An Park last December.

He informed his supervisor about it several times, he added.

Describing his ordeal, he said he was pinned down for around 15 minutes as his fellow security guard and the condominium's gardener tried to free him by lifting the gate.

But it weighed more than 100kg and they succeeded only after several onlookers and residents rushed to their aid.

"I was trapped for 15 to 20 minutes and I struggled to breathe," Mr Soman said.

Yesterday, the condominium's manager, Mr Lee Kheng Guan, told The Straits Times it would be "taking necessary steps to prevent a repeat of this unfortunate incident".

He added: "One possible solution would be to replace this heavy metal gate with a lighter one and have it motorised."

But his words brought little comfort to Mr Soman. "They should have replaced the faulty gate before an accident happened, not after it happened and (then talking) about what to do."

The faulty gate is closed till further notice, said Mr Lee.

But several residents were seen using the small door within the gate when The Straits Times visited the condominium yesterday evening.

[email protected]