Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: $200,000 for air-con space?

Default $200,000 for air-con space?

THE Government has introduced several rounds of measures to rein in the continued rise in property prices. There is some effect, yet property prices are holding their own.

Recently, I visited a couple of property launches. The showflats attracted quite a crowd and the boards indicated that many units were sold - clear evidence that there was no shortage of buyers.

I was told that, at the offer price of about $1,300 psf before any stamp duty, the apartments should be a worthwhile investment for my own stay or rental income.

When looking at the price list, I noticed that there was a sizeable area set aside for holding the air-conditioning equipment. A unit with a total saleable area of 61 sq m had 14 sq m provided for air-con space.

A quick back of the envelope calculation suggested that the buyer will be paying about $200,000 for the space to house the air-con. Considering that a multi-split air-con system costs about $3,000, I find this situation incomprehensible.

To be sure that I was not mistaken, I sought confirmation from the agent, who assured me that the 14 sq m of "air-con" area is indeed chargeable, and that the cost is to be borne by the buyer.

This must make Singapore one of the most expensive places in the world to install an air-con system.

To have living space costing in excess of $1,000 psf for suburban localities already makes Singapore property prices one of the highest in the world.

To have air-con space costing $200,000 should be a wake-up call for Singapore to seriously re-examine its land valuation model.

Philip Toh Kee Poon

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods
    THE Government has introduced several rounds of measures to rein in the continued rise in property prices. There is some effect, yet property prices are holding their own.

Recently, I visited a couple of property launches. The showflats attracted quite a crowd and the boards indicated that many units were sold - clear evidence that there was no shortage of buyers.

I was told that, at the offer price of about $1,300 psf before any stamp duty, the apartments should be a worthwhile investment for my own stay or rental income.

When looking at the price list, I noticed that there was a sizeable area set aside for holding the air-conditioning equipment. A unit with a total saleable area of 61 sq m had 14 sq m provided for air-con space.

A quick back of the envelope calculation suggested that the buyer will be paying about $200,000 for the space to house the air-con. Considering that a multi-split air-con system costs about $3,000, I find this situation incomprehensible.

To be sure that I was not mistaken, I sought confirmation from the agent, who assured me that the 14 sq m of "air-con" area is indeed chargeable, and that the cost is to be borne by the buyer.

This must make Singapore one of the most expensive places in the world to install an air-con system.

To have living space costing in excess of $1,000 psf for suburban localities already makes Singapore property prices one of the highest in the world.

To have air-con space costing $200,000 should be a wake-up call for Singapore to seriously re-examine its land valuation model.

Philip Toh Kee Poon
    14m2 out of 61..that's more than 1/5 of the total area. This is how developers use the GFA rule to take advantage of their buyers
    hungry eat sleepy sleep

Not sure will the developer so silly to do such thing on a small unit of 61sq-m... May i know which development is this? Personally, I find the article has some distorted facts..

This project's ac ledge is probably as big as the blacony, if not bigger. Heh.

A unit of that size does not need such a large footprint area for housing the condensing unit. Authority has to set some guidelines otherwise developer is making $ just proving a concrete slab with some cement and sand screed finishes. Does not think you need such a large working space for maintenance. It is a problem with new development.

definitely not reputable developers all FEO projects will clearly show the size of AC / balcony in the price list ... for 1br normally is simply 1-2sqm, balcony normally about 4-5sqm

may be 14sqm is AC + balcony
    Ride at your own risk !!!

i have doubts about the writer's claims. 14sqm = 4m x 3.5m. unless the developer plans to have 2 refrigerators cool the unit, the space is simply too much for a condensor - split or single.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    definitely not reputable developers all FEO projects will clearly show the size of AC / balcony in the price list ... for 1br normally is simply 1-2sqm, balcony normally about 4-5sqm

may be 14sqm is AC + balcony
    yup.. FEO's projects stated clearly the sizes. Agreed that 14sq-m likely to include the balcony + planter, etc... That's why i think article distorted the facts..

or there is a term called "air-con space" = ac ledge + balcony + planter + RC ledge?

http://www.virtualhomes.sg/FileUploa...nce_typeA1.jpg

an example of how a/c ledge has been abused.

http://www.virtualhomes.sg/FileUploa...ida_typeB1.jpg

this unit is 60 sq m. it has TWO a/c ledges. add the 2 areas up, may have 14 sq m?

These are free GFAs given by URA to encourage more sustainable design.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar
    yup.. FEO's projects stated clearly the sizes. Agreed that 14sq-m likely to include the balcony + planter, etc... That's why i think article distorted the facts..

or there is a term called "air-con space" = ac ledge + balcony + planter + RC ledge?

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157
    i have doubts about the writer's claims. 14sqm = 4m x 3.5m. unless the developer plans to have 2 refrigerators cool the unit, the space is simply too much for a condensor - split or single.
    I thought BCA specify aircon width must not exceed 1m? I think it is probably 14mx1m if what he claim is true. I do agree developer nowsaday are playing with this loop hole and design exccessive air-con ledge size. Many units has 6m-8m of ledges when 3m is suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by bsslang
    I thought BCA specify aircon width must not exceed 1m? I think it is probably 14mx1m if what he claim is true. I do agree developer nowsaday are playing with this loop hole and design exccessive air-con ledge size. Many units has 6m-8m of ledges when 3m is suffice.
    the point is the credibility of the '14sqm' claims. 14m can put in more than 10 refrigerators, side by side.

u saw the link i posted? its close to being able to put 10 fridges if u combine the 2 a/c ledges. i m sure there are others who are able to do it.

the point is the credibility of the '14sqm' claims. 14m can put in more than 10 refrigerators, side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter

u saw the link i posted? its close to being able to put 10 fridges if u combine the 2 a/c ledges. i m sure there are others who are able to do it.
    can't, your link kenna blocked - suspicions of malware

alamak, its from virtualhomes leh (knight frank's website?)

its for a 60 sq m 2 bedder for la vida @ 130.

can't, your link kenna blocked - suspicions of malware

http://www.virtualhomes.sg/ProjectWe...s.aspx?id=3283

is this link any better? its type B1

for argument sake: is the gov responsible for buyers who do not read floor plans ?
    (I'm not saying the developer is not deplorable, but hey, floor plan/size is simple data.)

http://www.virtualhomes.sg/ProjectWe...s.aspx?id=3283

is this link any better? its type B1
    also kenna block. u better scan your workstation

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    for argument sake: is the gov responsible for buyers who do not read floor plans ?
    (I'm not saying the developer is not deplorable, but hey, floor plan/size is simple data.)
    absolutely not. looking back at when optima was first launched, the queue was ridiculous and i believe many were hoping to get a small-sized unit without even looking at the floorplan. this is property euphoria getting out of hand.

reckon some of the complaints are "hey, my unit looks smaller than the showflat" or "wah, how come there is a pillar in my unit when the showflat doesn't have one"

i know of university grads who do not know how to read floor plans. after unit completed then complain unit is smaller than they thought. furniture from 1200 sq ft hdb, they were wondering why they couldn't fit into 1400 sq ft condo.

but in sadder cases, there are cases of lesser educated buyers who really do not know how to read floor plans or cannot visualise from floor plan to the real thing. to these hdb upgraders, 1000 sq ft of hdb is 1000 sq ft of hdb and 646 sq ft of condo suppose to also be 646 sq ft of condo.

this unit is 60 sq m. it has TWO a/c ledges. add the 2 areas up, may have 14 sq m?
    if i assume the door's width of 1m.. the floor plan only give ~6-7 sq-m only..

then how ? million dollar purchase, gov must ensure developer dun cheat ?
    are singaporeans really that gullible ?

In HK, the sqft sold is "construction area", including lift lobby and common areas too. why HK ppl have no problem understanding floor plans but SG ppl have ?

It is because many of us really are so protected from young that even a simple trick from developer manages to con them ?

In HK, the sqft sold is "construction area", including lift lobby and common areas too. why HK ppl have no problem understanding floor plans but SG ppl have ?

It is because many of us really are so protected from young that even a simple trick from developer manages to con them ?
    Developer got many ways to cheat.. they can build 3% smaller than floorplan and this is legally fine (if they are skillful enough) or they build smaller room and larger ledges. The total floor area still the same as what they sell you...

thought that's been the problem all along? singaporeans too protected from young? hahahahahahha.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernStar
    if i assume the door's width of 1m.. the floor plan only give ~6-7 sq-m only..
    so 7 sq m for the big ledge and 3 sq m from the small ledge, total 10 sq m?

http://www.virtualhomes.sg/FileUploa...nce_typeA1.jpg

an example of how a/c ledge has been abused.
    typical mickey mouse layout

so 7 sq m for the big ledge and 3 sq m from the small ledge, total 10 sq m?
    nope.. i added both..my rough estimation only..

using the same floorplan, i overlay with my 60sq-m unit (with 15sq-m AC ledge). Any normal buyer will immediately notice the AC ledge is super big without go back home to calculate..

u don't need 2 A/C ledges for such a small unit. the developer has plans to convert it into a cold room or meat freezer?????