Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My sincere advice to government, Tharman, Khaw

Default My sincere advice to government, Tharman, Khaw

I feel that Mr. Khaw is tempted to try some drastic measures for HDB, he may want to have some achievements, and he wants to be perceived by history that he did something good for his people. While recognizing it as a noble mindset, he should be careful with each step, a lot of things maybe beyond his understandings (or anyone's understanding), and a wrong step is going to cost the market, the economy a lot.

His recent many ideas show some danger signs, frankly, he and the government should slow down, take more advice from industry and economy experts instead of getting opinions from people who always differ in their views depending whether they want to buy or sell or hold.

Frankly speaking, I don't think it is a good move by throwing out drastic ideas like removing income ceiling, making BTOs 30% cheaper, and let people from all kinds of backgrounds with various hidden agenda to come together and discuss. This will not have any meaningful contributions.

The current government is trying to be populist, but the government must be aware that people, by its nature, is short-sighted, and different groups of people have different hidden agenda. A typical example was the wrong move for them to throw out the Population White Paper to discuss. Majority of the "people" will never never truly understand what LKY said, that Singapore will sink into nothingness if it does not keep attracting high-quality immigrants, and you still want to discuss with this majority? The current government should rather learn from LKY, they should rather make some decisions internally, by consulting with various industry and economy experts!

Its such a shame if the most advanced economy in south east asia, one day would be taken over by Jakarta, Manila, Bangkok. Just like a runner who is fast at the starting line, but run out of steam at the finish line.

U have to let the talent in, just like Elon Musk (tesla, spacex ceo) done to United States. If sg fail to launch its economy and stagnant to the level of 3rd world country, I don't think many in sg can get accustomed to such living condition.

Solute to you, economist. You speak up what I want to say.

Very sensible idea
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

The impresison they give is more of that they dont know what to do !

Rather than consult people, maybe they should frame their ideas and get feedback. This helps to give impression that they are consultative, and yet let people know they know a lot about Singapore properties.

But conversations and conversations, the end result seems to be that they are listening to people with the loudest voice, not the best brains.

I reckon, the best brains in property market is already formed - in this forum - less off some B folks and some Mt Senile folks.

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG

Rather than consult people, maybe they should frame their ideas and get feedback. This helps to give impression that they are consultative, and yet let people know they know a lot about Singapore properties.

But conversations and conversations, the end result seems to be that they are listening to people with the loudest voice, not the best brains.

I reckon, the best brains in property market is already formed - in this forum - less off some B folks and some Mt Senile folks.

DKSG
    Brudder, they need the seat.... They cannot be perceived to be snobbish !!! They have to project a listening ear. See the latest election result...

They are thinking long term....

Quote Originally Posted by economist
    I feel that Mr. Khaw is tempted to try some drastic measures for HDB, he may want to have some achievements, and he wants to be perceived by history that he did something good for his people. While recognizing it as a noble mindset, he should be careful with each step, a lot of things maybe beyond his understandings (or anyone's understanding), and a wrong step is going to cost the market, the economy a lot.

His recent many ideas show some danger signs, frankly, he and the government should slow down, take more advice from industry and economy experts instead of getting opinions from people who always differ in their views depending whether they want to buy or sell or hold.

Frankly speaking, I don't think it is a good move by throwing out drastic ideas like removing income ceiling, making BTOs 30% cheaper, and let people from all kinds of backgrounds with various hidden agenda to come together and discuss. This will not have any meaningful contributions.

The current government is trying to be populist, but the government must be aware that people, by its nature, is short-sighted, and different groups of people have different hidden agenda. A typical example was the wrong move for them to throw out the Population White Paper to discuss. Majority of the "people" will never never truly understand what LKY said, that Singapore will sink into nothingness if it does not keep attracting high-quality immigrants, and you still want to discuss with this majority? The current government should rather learn from LKY, they should rather make some decisions internally, by consulting with various industry and economy experts!
    and the industry or economy experts do not have hidden agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by august
    not hidden agenda, they are just capitalists
    Ride at your own risk !!!

DKSG
    That's sth a sensible long-term thinking government should avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by chestnut
    Brudder, they need the seat.... They cannot be perceived to be snobbish !!! They have to project a listening ear. See the latest election result...

It will be good if they are just out there pretending to listen to the people, it will be bad if they end up listening to the loudest voices.

Anyway, many government's recent moves like the "dialogue" may sound populist, but it also sends the signal that, the government is indecisive, has no idea on what to do, and even throw out drastic ideas to discuss with people whose interest is so diverse depending on different hidden agenda, what's going on?

It's time to miss the LKY era.

with gold/commodities crashing + lots of uncertainties this year ... may be Tharman/Khaw will stay put

DKSG
    wahhaha u using my words....Mt senile(got copyright hor)...
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

It will be good if they are just out there pretending to listen to the people, it will be bad if they end up listening to the loudest voices.

Anyway, many government's recent moves like the "dialogue" may sound populist, but it also sends the signal that, the government is indecisive, has no idea on what to do, and even throw out drastic ideas to discuss with people whose interest is so diverse depending on different hidden agenda, what's going on?

It's time to miss the LKY era.
    Can I ask - did what mbt do good??? It is good for some and bad for others. depending on which side of the fence you are on. The people today are vocal, times have changed and everyone needs to change as well.

Quote Originally Posted by august
    Industry experts, especially those from bigger developers, have interest in a stable market, as they want sustainable jobs for their employees, they are not interested in bubbles, neither crash of course.

Can I ask - did what mbt do good??? It is good for some and bad for others. depending on which side of the fence you are on. The people today are vocal, times have changed and everyone needs to change as well.

MBT apparently underbuilt, causing a shortage of supply which is slowly being corrected, it takes time to correct his mistakes.

People today are more vocal, yes, that's why my post is hoping that government stay focused on long-term prospect of Singapore.

MBT apparently underbuilt, causing a shortage of supply which is slowly being corrected, it takes time to correct his mistakes.

People today are more vocal, yes, that's why my post is hoping that government stay focused on long-term prospect of Singapore.
    it was not a mistake initially

Perhaps MBT didn't know that pinky is going to bring in so many PRs?

狮子王 (formerly blackjack21trader): READ MY LIPS: NO MORE CRASH FOR 60 YEARS.

Industry experts, especially those from bigger developers, have interest in a stable market, as they want sustainable jobs for their employees, they are not interested in bubbles, neither crash of course.
    Tharman already told you they want a stable market. you should have more confidence in what they will do or not do next.

Economist, you have my full support. However people in the know are usually the minority. Majority of the people are typically short sighted, but we must still listen to their view and give them some goodies as they are the majority.however complex economy issues should be decided internally for competitive, timelines reasons.

What govt do is bad move. People now think govt is afraid of more opposition parties. People captured on this and want more opposition voices.

Hahaha right, to many, it is not a mistake.

>80% stay in hdb and in the last 5 yrs, the price has appreciated 100% or more for some, u think that is a mistake??

For for those <20%, who are very vocal nowadays will curse and swear....

Mistake or not, it depends...

So in the longer run, price will cont to appreciate, and as long as there is no bubble and BTO remain affordable, then they should be fine...they are acting as if they are listening even though they might not be...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom_opera
    it was not a mistake initially

Cant blame the government too much, if the nation is finding short of gas/wood.

It should not be more than 80% stay in a hdb but own a hdb as more and more people will be staying in the condo and use rental of hdb to pay for their private property loan.
    Quote Originally Posted by lajia
    Hahaha right, to many, it is not a mistake.

>80% stay in hdb and in the last 5 yrs, the price has appreciated 100% or more for some, u think that is a mistake??

For for those <20%, who are very vocal nowadays will curse and swear....

Mistake or not, it depends...

So in the longer run, price will cont to appreciate, and as long as there is no bubble and BTO remain affordable, then they should be fine...they are acting as if they are listening even though they might not be...

Hi...end of the day we need a crash afterall.

A crash will set base and wakes up everyone.

Hello bro, a lot of us very fresh and hardworking....we don't need a crash. We are not asleep...

But I think u need to wake up, sorry but I have to say that for your own good. Whether the mkt crash or not is secondary...what is impt is that u work hard for your dream, and not sleep and dream, wake up bro....

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan

it will come, just a matter of time.

Rentier capitalism is destroying Singapore's future. The current direction of the government is to be applauded.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Time to bring back the good policies to kill the rampant speculation in HDB market!
    Many are buying HDB BTOs in advance, before they are ready to settle down.
    Many are renting out before MOPs are over (illegally obviously). That means they don't need the HDB flats!
    Many are renting out without getting approvals from HDB!
    Also, taking into consideration overall rise in income, HDB BTOs are actually cheap! Who say they are expensive? why not they sell at 198x price, 5rm HDB 13xx sqft for $40k?

Then there are the REITs, majority GLCs jacking up commercial, retail & industrial rentals & hence causing huge inflation!

Govt, Khaw, Tharman better think how to deal with above...

As politicians, I think both DPM Therman and Mr Khaw have gone beyond their limits to speak about market sensitive issues like property pricing without causing anxiety and/or uncertainty to the market. Whoever can read "between the lines" of their messages and act appropriately could well benefit from the changes in policies going forward.

People are turning at deaf ear at them. Just look at china last month. People with kiasu syndrome scare of new CMs and jump in to buy straightaway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods
    As politicians, I think both DPM Therman and Mr Khaw have gone beyond their limits to speak about market sensitive issues like property pricing without causing anxiety and/or uncertainty to the market. Whoever can read "between the lines" of their messages and act appropriately could well benefit from the changes in policies going forward.