Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HarbourLights versus Riverside Melodies

Default HarbourLights versus Riverside Melodies

Dear Esteemed Brothers and Sisters,

I wish to garner your expertise assistance in our final narrowed choices of private residences: Riverside Melodies versus Harbourlights for your esteemed learned opinions.

Both properties are freehold, and both near 1 km of reputable primary school: Riverside Melodies (Saint Andrews) and Harbourlights (Radin Mas) - as my kid is nearing the time where we need to really look for a good residence address.

We are deciding between a smaller unit at Harbourlights at avg 1550psf, or Riverside brand new at around 1330 psf.

Initial favorable view for Harbourlights, although additional hefty renovation costs required - being an old 16 year old development already. Given our budget - also looking at a smaller unit then compared to Riverside.

Wish to have more views, I tried to find a thread on harbourlights but apparently discussions on this development somewhat missing.

Many thanks in advance for any views/opinions/discussions - all respected. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by danguard

I wish to garner your expertise assistance in our final narrowed choices of private residences: Riverside Melodies versus Harbourlights for your esteemed learned opinions.

Both properties are freehold, and both near 1 km of reputable primary school: Riverside Melodies (Saint Andrews) and Harbourlights (Radin Mas) - as my kid is nearing the time where we need to really look for a good residence address.

We are deciding between a smaller unit at Harbourlights at avg 1550psf, or Riverside brand new at around 1330 psf.

Initial favorable view for Harbourlights, although additional hefty renovation costs required - being an old 16 year old development already. Given our budget - also looking at a smaller unit then compared to Riverside.

Wish to have more views, I tried to find a thread on harbourlights but apparently discussions on this development somewhat missing.

Many thanks in advance for any views/opinions/discussions - all respected. Many thanks.
    I will go for harbourlight. Don't like riverside at all, cte and pie will kill you.

In terms of school, St Andrew Junior is better and honestly heard of Radin Mas but don't much of that school, but you have to check out kiasuparents.com about the chances of getting into the school or schools at Phase 2C (elder sibling in school - Phase 1, alumni - Phase 2A1 / 2A2, teacher of the school - Phase 2A2, parent volunteer - Phase 2B).

If I am not wrong, there is affiliation from Pri to Sec and Sec to JC for St Andrews, but please call and check this out. If it is this, this is definitely good choice.

Do not know much about the 2 property.

harbourlights sure enbloc within next decade... so whats the point of buying it for location?
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    harbourlights sure enbloc within next decade... so whats the point of buying it for location?
    Really? It's near my new workplace at Keppel bay tower and vivocity is really convenient for shopping and all. Heard about the en bloc potential but think it might not be so soon since the container port will only be relocated by 2020 etc - and en bloc will generate profits for me even at 1550 Psf price that I am paying ? Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CondoInterested
    In terms of school, St Andrew Junior is better and honestly heard of Radin Mas but don't much of that school, but you have to check out kiasuparents.com about the chances of getting into the school or schools at Phase 2C (elder sibling in school - Phase 1, alumni - Phase 2A1 / 2A2, teacher of the school - Phase 2A2, parent volunteer - Phase 2B).

If I am not wrong, there is affiliation from Pri to Sec and Sec to JC for St Andrews, but please call and check this out. If it is this, this is definitely good choice.

Do not know much about the 2 property.
    My wife checked and apparently radin mas is within top 30 I think. Though I like saint Andrews since I was from SAJC and kind of liked the school environment - thanks for the advice !!

Quote Originally Posted by iridrium
    I will go for harbourlight. Don't like riverside at all, cte and pie will kill you.
    Thanks for your input - traffic conditions are a pain that's true - or any alternative at around similar Psf would you consider ?

guess you have a point. by that time ur boy already finish psle

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    guess you have a point. by that time ur boy already finish psle
    With container port shifting, new underpass direct to RWS and also empty land plot from Seah Imm to abandoned interchange area - I think potential is there for some mega conglomerate to buy and redevelop especially in LT horizon of 10-15 years

But like all things its should be a home - buy property to stay not so much to sell in the near term

My wife checked and apparently radin mas is within top 30 I think. Though I like saint Andrews since I was from SAJC and kind of liked the school environment - thanks for the advice !!
    ST Andrews has a tradition, name, reputation, network (type of students going there and their parents) which is good for the future of your child, etc. Just look at how many successful ST Andrews old boys you will know, Radin Mas, have not heard of. For me if I was from there, it's a no brainer which school to choose.

Not sure why experienced investor would ask such question openly ?

Buy old 16 year old apartment which needs a lot of renovation, and not sure after reno still got other structural problems ? Or worse after reno 4 years later enbloc at about the same price ? And near Top 30 school (probably 28th ?) ???

Compare this with brand new condo near good school, probably top 10 ?

I think you rank you child's education as secondary to your investment opportunities. If so, the trade your child education for the en bloc dream then!

Good Luck!

DKSG

ST Andrews has a tradition, name, reputation, network (type of students going there and their parents) which is good for the future of your child, etc. Just look at how many successful ST Andrews old boys you will know, Radin Mas, have not heard of. For me if I was from there, it's a no brainer which school to choose.
    true - mabbe not riverside but other properties near that area? But its a Boy's school, my wife has certain reservations

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    Not sure why experienced investor would ask such question openly ?

Buy old 16 year old apartment which needs a lot of renovation, and not sure after reno still got other structural problems ? Or worse after reno 4 years later enbloc at about the same price ? And near Top 30 school (probably 28th ?) ???

Compare this with brand new condo near good school, probably top 10 ?

I think you rank you child's education as secondary to your investment opportunities. If so, the trade your child education for the en bloc dream then!

Good Luck!

DKSG

not seasoned investor - a young bird here actually haha. Thanks though for your inputs bro !

For primary education, Radimas is good enough lah.

From vivo, you can easily go to RI for secondary and Junior collegue and NUS for graduate education.

from the perspective of investment, I dare not make comments.

true - mabbe not riverside but other properties near that area? But its a Boy's school, my wife has certain reservations
    Boys school, what's wrong?

I am from a all Boys school, my son from the same school and we are all normal.

Mixed schools also got gay what.

Full schools, 10 years from P1 to S4 are very rich in traditions, ST Andrews can even extend to JC. This type of transitions even RI, use to 4 yrs until IP with 6 yrs, also cannot compare because they.do not have a feeder Pri schools.

Think out of the box, good school is important, staying near the school is irrelevant considering Singapore is actually very small.

Think out of the box, good school is important, staying near the school is irrelevant considering Singapore is actually very small.
    Parent volunteer scheme only accepts within 1 km
    Radius and I am not qualified as st Andrew alumni as i am only from their JC

Full schools, 10 years from P1 to S4 are very rich in traditions, ST Andrews can even extend to JC. This type of transitions even RI, use to 4 yrs until IP with 6 yrs, also cannot compare because they.do not have a feeder Pri schools.
    True also can secure transition just in case kid needs that extra push into a good JC as well - have a timeline for parent volunteer since this year need to pin down primary school and all also

I think you never fetch kids to school before la!

A 10 mins drive compared to 30 mins drive to school in the morning makes ALOT ALOT of difference.

Try staying in River Valley, fetch kids to school in Bishan, then come back to CBD for work.

DKSG

Most of the new developments around Riverside Melodies are MM units selling at around $1350 psf. Riverside M is normal big unit and developer is trying to sell about the same price as those MM units on a psf basis. Need to do your research before you commit.

Riverside, for me. Old estates, more things need replacing than new ones. Recall a recent incident at Woodsvale involving underground pipes.

If you can consider Riverside, you probably drive. Weekdays, you can hire school bus to transport child to n fro school. Weekends, you have to the fetching. Know of colleague who is in Jurong and hires school bus to fetch daughter to RGS. (Btw, staying near good school doesn't guarantee a place)

Parent volunteer scheme only accepts within 1 km
    Radius and I am not qualified as st Andrew alumni as i am only from their JC
    Oh... like that even after PV also have to wait for lucky draw even after spending so much. Sigh.

My kids all study some more than 30 minutes drive away, we depend on school bus.

But anyway, ideally near school is better.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG
    I think you never fetch kids to school before la!

A 10 mins drive compared to 30 mins drive to school in the morning makes ALOT ALOT of difference.

Try staying in River Valley, fetch kids to school in Bishan, then come back to CBD for work.

DKSG
    yeap its true - very tiring esp in the morning need to rush to work immediately thereafter

Quote Originally Posted by delirious_jeff
    Riverside, for me. Old estates, more things need replacing than new ones. Recall a recent incident at Woodsvale involving underground pipes.

If you can consider Riverside, you probably drive. Weekdays, you can hire school bus to transport child to n fro school. Weekends, you have to the fetching. Know of colleague who is in Jurong and hires school bus to fetch daughter to RGS. (Btw, staying near good school doesn't guarantee a place)
    yeap drive but small small B&B car only la heh - old development have risk but i intend to intensive renovation to hack and replace pipings for all toilets, kitchen, yard etc -estimated reno quotation for overhaul smelly smelly 70k etc

yeap drive but small small B&B car only la heh - old development have risk but i intend to intensive renovation to hack and replace pipings for all toilets, kitchen, yard etc -estimated reno quotation for overhaul smelly smelly 70k etc
    Why throw good money away ?

Monies spent on reno is hardly recoverable.

Anyway, the choice is yours.

DKSG

Hi...Mt Sinai will be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by yowetan
    Hi...Mt Sinai will be a better choice.
    Goondu. What has this thread got to do with Mt Senile?

ya man. the only gay in this village came from mixed school.

and that village wasnt st andrews village in case mrs danguard was wondering.

I am wondering whether Danguard has narrowed down his choice or get more confused.

The attachment of alumni to their respective school is amazing. ACSI people think ACSI is the best, now ST Andrews people think ST Andrews is the best.

To be frank, when my kids were in primary school, I had bought the test papers of the top schools every year. I have never heard of ST Andrews Junor, let along ST Andrews JC, blah blah.

Radin Mas, I once monitored it.