Thread: My plan to retire in Malaysia soon

User Info Menu

Interestingly, buying a landed (I'm never into condos in Malaysia, cos maintenance and upkeep of common spaces is a big issue after a while) in Malaysia is like eating durians - either one is converted, or one hates it. Haha either way it is a provocative topic that is sure to garner tonnes of views on each side.

The Singaporean community in Iskandar is certainly growing, but the segment is largely confined to retirees. Take my G&G compound for example. There are quite a number of Singaporeans who stay there, cultivate their local network of kakis and Singaporean retirees, go for health screenings at Gleneagles Medini and they travel pretty extensively around JB/Melaka. On weekends I see them golfing around the Iskandar Golf courses.

This is the bunch who will not hesitate to rebuild their house, even sink RM200k-250k (considered a lot, since one can rebuild extensively with this amount of money in Malaysia) to build a Swimming pool in their backyard, and basically own a Malaysia registered car. A few of my neighbours even rent out their HDB/condos in Singapore, convert that into ringgit to fund their retirement lifestyle. It is not undo-able, but the key here is the family/friends network has to be there, or boredom will set in pretty quickly.

In all honesty, I look at this bunch of older folks, the Malaysian landed is for consumption and not for investment. This model still proves the most sustainable. For much younger folks with expectations of making a quick buck out of Malaysian properties, I guess reality will have to sink in pretty quickly.

User Info Menu

The MRT to JB, together with the high speed rail, can improve connectivity and be a game changer one day. This just came out in the Straits Times.

Singapore, Malaysia ministers agree to start MRT service to Johor Baru by 2024

PUBLISHED1 HOUR AGO

JOHOR BARU - Singaporeans will be able to hop on an MRT train in Woodlands to cross the border to Johor Baru by Dec 31, 2024.

The Rapid Transit System (RTS) Link can carry up to 10,000 passengers an hour in each direction between Johor's Bukit Chagar terminus station and the Singapore terminus in Woodlands North, where it will join the upcoming Thomson-East Coast Line (TEL).

It is slated to greatly improve transport connectivity between Singapore and Malaysia, providing an alternative option for reducing congestion at border crossings.

The new starting date for the line was announced in a joint statement on Monday (July 31) after the 13th meeting of the Malaysia-Singapore Joint Ministerial Committee for Iskandar Malaysia.

The meeting was co-chaired by Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan and Malaysia's Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Abdul Rahman Dahlan.

Also present were National Development Minister Lawrence Wong, Johor Mentri Besar Khaled Nordin, and senior officials from both countries.

Officials have agreed that both governments will each appoint a local metro operator to form a joint venture company to run and maintain the cross border line's operating systems, which include its trains, tracks and signalling system.

Singapore has selected SMRT Corp, while Malaysia has appointed Prasarana Malaysia Berhad which runs the Sungai Buloh-Kajang MRT Line through Kuala Lumpur (KL). Prasarana's subsidiary Rapid Rail operates the KL MRT line.

Both operators have been appointed for the first concession period of 30 years, and are negotiating terms for the joint venture.

Each government will also appoint an infrastructure company to fund, build, own, maintain and upgrade the civil infrastructure and stations in their own countries.

The daily shuttle train service from Woodlands train checkpoint to Johor Baru will cease operating after the RTS Link opens. Currently, it runs 26 daily trips since June 1 to cope with higher demand, and both countries are looking to increase the frequency is number further.

The joint ministerial committee is expected to sign a bilateral agreement on the cross-border line by the end of this year.

Junior

User Info Menu

My agents in Malaysia have just informed me that E&O has increased their discount from 15% to 30% to clear the unsold stock at Tower 1H of Andaman Sea Quayside series.

All other developers in Malaysia will do the same very soon.

Yield is terribly bad

User Info Menu

congratulations for those retiring in Malaysia!

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-...alty-for-drugs

very soon you have greater access to various type of drugs.

OCR properties going to crash!

User Info Menu

This game changer is likely to DEPRESS Woodlands properties for a long long time.....................
    Lesson learnt: Don't touch Woodlands properties!

Quote Originally Posted by new2mondrian View Post
    The MRT to JB, together with the high speed rail, can improve connectivity and be a game changer one day. This just came out in the Straits Times.

Singapore, Malaysia ministers agree to start MRT service to Johor Baru by 2024

PUBLISHED1 HOUR AGO

JOHOR BARU - Singaporeans will be able to hop on an MRT train in Woodlands to cross the border to Johor Baru by Dec 31, 2024.

The Rapid Transit System (RTS) Link can carry up to 10,000 passengers an hour in each direction between Johor's Bukit Chagar terminus station and the Singapore terminus in Woodlands North, where it will join the upcoming Thomson-East Coast Line (TEL).

It is slated to greatly improve transport connectivity between Singapore and Malaysia, providing an alternative option for reducing congestion at border crossings.

The new starting date for the line was announced in a joint statement on Monday (July 31) after the 13th meeting of the Malaysia-Singapore Joint Ministerial Committee for Iskandar Malaysia.

The meeting was co-chaired by Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan and Malaysia's Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Abdul Rahman Dahlan.

Also present were National Development Minister Lawrence Wong, Johor Mentri Besar Khaled Nordin, and senior officials from both countries.

Officials have agreed that both governments will each appoint a local metro operator to form a joint venture company to run and maintain the cross border line's operating systems, which include its trains, tracks and signalling system.

Singapore has selected SMRT Corp, while Malaysia has appointed Prasarana Malaysia Berhad which runs the Sungai Buloh-Kajang MRT Line through Kuala Lumpur (KL). Prasarana's subsidiary Rapid Rail operates the KL MRT line.

Both operators have been appointed for the first concession period of 30 years, and are negotiating terms for the joint venture.

Each government will also appoint an infrastructure company to fund, build, own, maintain and upgrade the civil infrastructure and stations in their own countries.

The daily shuttle train service from Woodlands train checkpoint to Johor Baru will cease operating after the RTS Link opens. Currently, it runs 26 daily trips since June 1 to cope with higher demand, and both countries are looking to increase the frequency is number further.

The joint ministerial committee is expected to sign a bilateral agreement on the cross-border line by the end of this year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    This game changer is likely to DEPRESS Woodlands properties for a long long time.....................
    Lesson learnt: Don't touch Woodlands properties!
    Probably not just Woodlands but the entire North (from Marsiling to Sembawang)...

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anythingwhatever View Post
    Probably not just Woodlands but the entire North (from Marsiling to Sembawang)...
    Question, anyone being to the North walk walk.

User Info Menu

Hi recently visited Malaysia with my friend Davis.
    He was interested in buying a Deluxe Suit in Kuala Lumpur. We visited many places/properties. But there was one property that caught my eye (Rencana TTDI).
    I am sharing this with you because I thought it might help you in finding an affordable place to live in this area. It was just perfect for me. They also had meeting rooms, a theatre, barbecue area, gym and prayer room in the building and the rooms.... what can I say it was exuberating experience.
    I'll share a link of this property in the end.
    The location was pretty good you can call them anytime (very polite and helpful people).
    http://www.rencanattdi.com.my

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jacobnjulie View Post
    Hi recently visited Malaysia with my friend Davis.
    He was interested in buying a Deluxe Suit in Kuala Lumpur. We visited many places/properties. But there was one property that caught my eye (Rencana TTDI).
    I am sharing this with you because I thought it might help you in finding an affordable place to live in this area. It was just perfect for me. They also had meeting rooms, a theatre, barbecue area, gym and prayer room in the building and the rooms.... what can I say it was exuberating experience.
    I'll share a link of this property in the end.
    The location was pretty good you can call them anytime (very polite and helpful people).
    http://www.rencanattdi.com.my
    hey , Agent.

you can't buy this project. it's on malay reserved land. and the location isn't that good in TTDI, it's not really TTDI but in a KAMPUNG (a real modern day kampung). Plus it's A Sofo (not to beused for residential).
    it's launched since 2014. very slow progress. in fact it's half abandoned, in short Lousy Project, nobody developer.
    So don't waste anyone's time here, please.
    Last edited by tonymontana; 7th September 2017 at 09:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Question, anyone being to the North walk walk.
    So how's your recent walk walk at Princess Cove?