Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Glades Next to Tanah Merah MRT (D16, 99 Years Leasehold, by Keppel Land)

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    Hi VI,

Why not consider those other apartments/condos alittle further away and FH too! Cheaper and can rent out immediately.

Example:
    1) tenah merah mansions
    2) Casa Flora

Staying too close to MRT is really noisy la.

These new launches are priced too premium.
    I agree. This would be my preference.

My ultimate preference would be a resale at Casa Merah or Optima.

But, alas, those were the days when they built nice size units.

Those resale units, including the ones you have mentioned, are out of my reach. Whilst PSF is attractive the quantum is way more than I can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    Hi VI,

Why not consider those other apartments/condos alittle further away and FH too! Cheaper and can rent out immediately.

Example:
    1) tenah merah mansions
    2) Casa Flora

Staying too close to MRT is really noisy la.

These new launches are priced too premium.
    Just looked at Casa Flora more closely on Property Guru. It looks really nice. The balcony itself on a 3-bed looks bigger than the entire 1-bed unit at The Glades. But, I don't have the 1.4m asking price

Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    My source is biased, yet I believe reliable.

Sales have been, and still are, poor.

However, my source says, confirmed, Keppel has removed the 2% early bird discount and there is no intention to start a mass price reduction - quite the opposite it seems. Is this yet another marketing stunt? Or the biased nature of my source? Confidence? Arrogance? Ability to hold and control the market? Desperation not to show that they got this development wrong?

Comments? Thoughts? As per my last post, I'm waiting for the market to crash but seems Keppel trying to drive prices up whilst buyers are staying away. Who will give up first? Buyers with too much cash on hand, or rich developers who will take the hit in their profit margin. This is interesting times. Anyone got a crystal ball???
    When bidding fever for GLS fades off, the market then will cool down. Does it look like so at the moment?

Saw the youtube video of this project. I think the landscaping looks very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveYoung View Post
    When bidding fever for GLS fades off, the market then will cool down. Does it look like so at the moment?
    Not from what I can see. I sort of trust the Government not to encourage an oversupply issue, but I'm not sure. To the "naked eye" it certainly looks like there is going to be an oversupply issue around the corner.

I guess the deep rooted question is who/ what controls SG property prices? Do developers control prices? Do buyers control prices? Does the government control prices?

I'm not an expert, but logic tells me that all the contributing factors spell impending doom:

1. All time ludicrous pricing (The Glades, for example).
    2. Tenants feeling like they at last have bargaining powers.
    3. Possible interest rate rises.
    4. Being taxed to hell on buying and selling property.
    5. Easy credit no longer available (TDSR).
    6. Vast oversupply.
    7. Kiasu-ism. My Singapore friend said it all boils down to this Hope this doesn't offend, I'm not 100% sure what he means

Not from what I can see. I sort of trust the Government not to encourage an oversupply issue, but I'm not sure. To the "naked eye" it certainly looks like there is going to be an oversupply issue around the corner.

I guess the deep rooted question is who/ what controls SG property prices? Do developers control prices? Do buyers control prices? Does the government control prices?

I'm not an expert, but logic tells me that all the contributing factors spell impending doom:

6. Vast oversupply.
    7. Kiasu-ism. My Singapore friend said it all boils down to this Hope this doesn't offend, I'm not 100% sure what he means
    Hi VI, I think this issue of where prices are heading has been visited many times in this forum and also out there on the various media platforms. There are many arguments for and against.

I do think it is not in the Singapore Government's interest to crash housing prices. It would be devastating for the economy and many people will be hurt. If the prices do come down drastically, I do think it would be because of external factors rather than internal ones. To be sure, there will always be some buyers who over-stretch themselves. But with the current LTV and TDSR rules in place, as the days goes by with buyers paying down their loans, the risks coming from households should reduce. Developers, especially the big Singapore based ones, would have had gone through a few financial crisis and should have learnt a thing or two on how to cope. Most are also well capitalised. In any case, the government can always roll back the cooling measures and create heating ones to stimulate demand. There has been anecdotes of money sitting on the sidelines, waiting to pounce on deals once the cooling measures are rolled back. I think you can tell that this is true since there are so many people in this forum spending their time bickering rather than going out there to look for property deals !!

Quote Originally Posted by 081828 View Post
    Hi VI, I think this issue of where prices are heading has been visited many times in this forum and also out there on the various media platforms. There are many arguments for and against.

I do think it is not in the Singapore Government's interest to crash housing prices. It would be devastating for the economy and many people will be hurt. If the prices do come down drastically, I do think it would be because of external factors rather than internal ones. To be sure, there will always be some buyers who over-stretch themselves. But with the current LTV and TDSR rules in place, as the days goes by with buyers paying down their loans, the risks coming from households should reduce. Developers, especially the big Singapore based ones, would have had gone through a few financial crisis and should have learnt a thing or two on how to cope. Most are also well capitalised. In any case, the government can always roll back the cooling measures and create heating ones to stimulate demand. There has been anecdotes of money sitting on the sidelines, waiting to pounce on deals once the cooling measures are rolled back. I think you can tell that this is true since there are so many people in this forum spending their time bickering rather than going out there to look for property deals !!
    Thanks for such a good reply. Personally, I'm in analysis paralysis; I'm scared to think my "investment" could depreciate significantly and my property purchase become a huge burden, in the same breath I'm scared to wait and miss the boat.

I don't apologize for bickering on forums I feel that's what forums are for, to voice our thoughts. Thumbs up for this forum, I enjoy visiting!

For those posters that told me to look at Sky Vue thanks for the advice. I'm not a big fan of the podium car park but looking more closely at this development it seems a good buy. Great location, reasonable unit sizes, reasonable prices. Can't be an exact apple-to-apple with Glades, but all things considered seems a much less risky buy!! Where's my cheque book Think I'm just about ready

6. Vast oversupply.
    You forgot impending 6.9m population in SG

Thanks for such a good reply. Personally, I'm in analysis paralysis; I'm scared to think my "investment" could depreciate significantly and my property purchase become a huge burden, in the same breath I'm scared to wait and miss the boat.

I don't apologize for bickering on forums I feel that's what forums are for, to voice our thoughts. Thumbs up for this forum, I enjoy visiting!

For those posters that told me to look at Sky Vue thanks for the advice. I'm not a big fan of the podium car park but looking more closely at this development it seems a good buy. Great location, reasonable unit sizes, reasonable prices. Can't be an exact apple-to-apple with Glades, but all things considered seems a much less risky buy!! Where's my cheque book Think I'm just about ready
    Must hoot with confidence! If think too much, analysis this and that.. will end up NATO (no action talk only). Not saying that must go all out and hoot now.. afterall still got buffet of launches coming up in the next few months. Obviously skyvue buyers bo hiew the MSCP for the simple reason that the quantum is a clear winner as one of the main buying decision (otherwise skyhabitat would have been clear way way back). If you already have a budget in mind, then all you need to spot a good buy (the hard part). With all that said, dun expect huge gains even if you are ready to jump in now when you are on the same bandwangon as everyone Downside may seem to be greater than upside and people hoot condos now for different reason(s)

Crash was the wrong term, it's a bit too dramatic.

Is there an accepted definition for the word "crash?" Others have used the term "adjustment" to describe falling prices in a less dramatic way.

What I meant was, I think we are seeing caution and sense were there was previously none. There is trepidation about impending interest rate increases and the round after round of cooling measures coupled with astronomical PSF. Some posters, I think I read in other threads, have even used the words "game over" for Singapore property.

Yet there are still some unexplained mysteries:
    1. Developers buying land at record high prices.
    2. Government allowing supply to, seemingly, spiral out of control.
    3. And this was my point for The Glades, increase the price of something you can't even sell at a lower price

So, I'm specifically referring to The Glades here and not the wider market, I feel something has to give. If Keppel refuse to give in then they might be launching in 4 years time with only 20 percent sold that would be nice for those who have bought, there will be literally no one in the swimming pool
    I told my spouse 5 years ago that Singapore will become the next HK.

Instead of getting married, we focus on buying houses. We are those without rich parents, so getting a few homes requires sacrifices but it's worth it looking back now.

That's life, u have to start somewhere and make those sacrifices.

If u want to play it safe? Don't buy anything = safest.

That's also keppel mindset, they feel "The Glades" is sitting on a piece of prime land and with 6.9million in the pipeline housing can only go up instead of down.

U must understand what kind of developer is Keppel to answer your own doubts.

Btw, "game over" is for those whom didn't buy or gain profit out of these 5 years becos without cold hard cash, it really game over for some.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseed73 View Post

Instead of getting married, we focus on buying houses. We are those without rich parents, so getting a few homes requires sacrifices but it's worth it looking back now.

That's also keppel mindset, they feel "The Glades" is sitting on a piece of prime land and with 6.9million in the pipeline housing can only go up instead of down.

Btw, "game over" is for those whom didn't buy or gain profit out of these 5 years becos without cold hard cash, it really game over for some.
    Hope you have kids. If not, you end up donating your houses (sacrifices) to others.

Wait till the one in Tiong bahru launch.

Quote Originally Posted by iridrium View Post
    Wait till the one in Tiong bahru launch.
    Ai ya, for now we only talking abt "the Glades" don't want to distract others with so many options.

There are always good, better, best.

Buy house is like chosing wife, sometimes needs a bit of fate too

Hi VI, my view is that, try not to get advise from others (myself included...hahaha), especially on where to buy and whether to buy. Each of us might mean well but at the end of the day, buying a property is an individual decision. Each of us is different, with different needs and wants. Our financial capacity is also different. If you take into account too many views, you might become confused and not sure what to do. I presume you are looking for a place to stay. Try to distinguish your needs from your wants. This might be important especially when you have to weigh any trade-offs. Not many of us will be able to find a property that can fit into all our requirements. You and/or your spouse/partner must also like the location and the property, otherwise even if the property seems under-valued, you may not be happy. Buying a property off-plan is always tricky as you have to use a bit of imagination. Have you considered resale units? If your circumstances permit, don't rush into making a decision. Don't let others pressure you in making a decision. Look around, ponder and weigh your options. View as many showflats and resale units as you want. Hopefully from viewing, you can get a realisation of other things that you like and don't like.
    1) If you do decide you want to buy now, do your math and go for something that you are comfortable with
    2) When buying a property for own stay, try not to bring market timing into the picture. You may end up feeling miserable if your prediction didn't turn out correctly. And if you have done point 1 well, why worry about point 2 even if the market softens?

Just my 2 cents worth point of view. Good luck in your property hunting !!

Hi VI, my view is that, try not to get advise from others (myself included...hahaha), especially on where to buy and whether to buy. Each of us might mean well but at the end of the day, buying a property is an individual decision. Each of us is different, with different needs and wants. Our financial capacity is also different. If you take into account too many views, you might become confused and not sure what to do. I presume you are looking for a place to stay. Try to distinguish your needs from your wants. This might be important especially when you have to weigh any trade-offs. Not many of us will be able to find a property that can fit into all our requirements. You and/or your spouse/partner must also like the location and the property, otherwise even if the property seems under-valued, you may not be happy. Buying a property off-plan is always tricky as you have to use a bit of imagination. Have you considered resale units? If your circumstances permit, don't rush into making a decision. Don't let others pressure you in making a decision. Look around, ponder and weigh your options. View as many showflats and resale units as you want. Hopefully from viewing, you can get a realisation of other things that you like and don't like.
    1) If you do decide you want to buy now, do your math and go for something that you are comfortable with
    2) When buying a property for own stay, try not to bring market timing into the picture. You may end up feeling miserable if your prediction didn't turn out correctly. And if you have done point 1 well, why worry about point 2 even if the market softens?

Just my 2 cents worth point of view. Good luck in your property hunting !!
    Points 1 and 2 summarised how I felt when I made my decision. Thanks for your encouragement!

I enjoy reading about the forums, and how others feel about the various condos, but I think "price" seem to be the main thing everyone talk about. Are there no other aspects of developments that people are keen to talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by visionary View Post
    Points 1 and 2 summarised how I felt when I made my decision. Thanks for your encouragement!

I enjoy reading about the forums, and how others feel about the various condos, but I think "price" seem to be the main thing everyone talk about. Are there no other aspects of developments that people are keen to talk about?
    no money there is nothing to talk about beggars cant be choosers

Without a doubt, price is a very important consideration for most people (unless you are very very rich and money is no issue to you...hahaha). No two properties are the same, even on the same building, so sometimes it can be very difficult to compare. Try to list down what is important to you; distinguish your needs versus your wants (especially if the property is bought for self/family stay).

Besides price, I can think of the following factors which might be important considerations: layout, level (if it is a high-rise development), direction facing, your potential neighbours (if it is a resale unit), amenities within easy reach and walking distance to a MRT station (if you do not drive and rely on the trains to get you from place to place). This list is non-exhaustive and you could have your own circumstances to consider.

I do think a development with nice landscaping might be important to some of us. I live near a nice looking park and when I walk past it, I do feel a bit more relaxed. For others, this might be a non-essential item when looking to buy a property. Speaking of landscaping, you might also want to find out the maintenance costs required to upkeep the property and its surroundings. No point buying a property with upkeep costs that is not within your affordability range.

After sending that post, I realize the overall design of a development is also very important. After all, a well designed development can enhance the lives and efficiency of its occupants and users.

Ai ya, for now we only talking abt "the Glades" don't want to distract others with so many options.

There are always good, better, best.

Buy house is like chosing wife, sometimes needs a bit of fate too
    That is why must wait leh, so that the glades will looking so much more attractive.

Buying house is like choosing wife, something you need two to make the right choice.

Without a doubt, price is a very important consideration for most people (unless you are very very rich and money is no issue to you...hahaha). No two properties are the same, even on the same building, so sometimes it can be very difficult to compare. Try to list down what is important to you; distinguish your needs versus your wants (especially if the property is bought for self/family stay).

Besides price, I can think of the following factors which might be important considerations: layout, level (if it is a high-rise development), direction facing, your potential neighbours (if it is a resale unit), amenities within easy reach and walking distance to a MRT station (if you do not drive and rely on the trains to get you from place to place). This list is non-exhaustive and you could have your own circumstances to consider.

I do think a development with nice landscaping might be important to some of us. I live near a nice looking park and when I walk past it, I do feel a bit more relaxed. For others, this might be a non-essential item when looking to buy a property. Speaking of landscaping, you might also want to find out the maintenance costs required to upkeep the property and its surroundings. No point buying a property with upkeep costs that is not within your affordability range.
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I like The Glades. I mean the plot shape is really weird and I don't think Keppel has exactly proposed a "take your breath away" design, but all-in-all it's quite decent. I think I could enjoy living there.

Then I start to think too much:
    - Is it over-priced?
    - Why is it so unpopular?
    - When I pass, the same agents are stood outside smoking; no buyers.
    - Would buying at The Glades be the biggest mistake of my life?
    - How can a developer like Keppel get it so wrong?
    - Will Keppel start a "fire-sale", so I should wait?

Talking about wants and needs. I guess I want my cake and I want to eat it. I want a nice home, but I want it to be an appreciating asset too.

- Is it over-priced?
    Yes, at the high side. But, when I went to see Sky Vue, I also find it over-priced for the high floor units. The material and landscape of this project is more superior.

Quantum issue. Unfortunately, a lot of people looking at quantum without considering lots of others.

Ya, hard life, they need to support their families as well.

NO one knows, there could be a mistake if you miss it.

Keppel a GLC.
    They don't have a big landbank.

No, Reflection is a good example.

Recently, I visited this project, Skyvue and Thomas3.

There are two units (2 rooms) in The Glades I like very much. This project is very nice in term of landscape. (cannot recall much) A very pleasant place to stay if you get the right unit.

I like The Glades. I mean the plot shape is really weird and I don't think Keppel has exactly proposed a "take your breath away" design, but all-in-all it's quite decent. I think I could enjoy living there.

- Is it over-priced?

Talking about wants and needs. I guess I want my cake and I want to eat it. I want a nice home, but I want it to be an appreciating asset too.
    Don't think anyone can give you a satisfactory answer or even have a definite answer for you.

All I know is that if I buy Glade, I am buying at the highest $psf in that locality at the moment.

In comparison, if I buy SV, I know SH will always be higher price than SV.

I speak with vested interest, because I have already purchased a unit at The Glades.

3 years back, I bought a high profile condo in the West, which set a record PSF for that area. People were in disbelief at the prices.

I sold that unit early this year, and made about 75% return on cash investment. I could have held on to it longer, and make more, but I wanted to buy The Glades.

With that money I have made, I bought a unit here.

Like 081828 had mentioned, its about doing one's own calculations, one's salary projection, and plans for family life (or non-family life =p).

In my previous unit, half the land is taken up by strata houses, leaving the other half for the high rise residents. I like the fact that The Glades has a large land area versus its 700+ units. The layouts are generally quite good and liveable. Most importantly, very close to where I work so I spend minimal time on travelling.

Appreciate everyone giving their objective inputs and ideas. Ultimately property buying is really a personal decision for one to make. If I lose money I wouldn't claim from anyone else, and if I make money, I wouldn't split with anyone neither.

Cheers!

I wish to add

Internal layout is far more important than the landscape.

I speak with vested interest, because I have already purchased a unit at The Glades.
    Congratulations!!

Like 081828 had mentioned, its about doing one's own calculations, one's salary projection, and plans for family life (or non-family life =p).
    I agree in some ways. However, just because I calculate that I can afford to buy at the said asking price, it doesn't necessarily mean it's sensible.

Appreciate everyone giving their objective inputs and ideas.
    Me too. I really appreciate all this constructive input.

Quote Originally Posted by Laguna View Post
    I wish to add

Internal layout is far more important than the landscape.
    Can you explain? You mean the unit layout?

I quite like the 2-bed B3 layout. What I mean is, it's damn tiny at just 678SQFT, but the layout makes the best use of the space. Still, it's damn tiny for a 2-bed 2-bath. Damn, damn tiny.

- Is it over-priced?

Hi VI, your thoughts about wanting to have the entire cake to eat is understandable. After all, buying a property is probably the biggest ticket item and the largest investment one can make in a person's life time. It is perfectly logical to want to maximise our hard-earned money. My bad if I made it sound so easy !!

Liking a property is an important first step. Since you have a favourable impression of The Glades, you can add this project to your shortlist. Do scrutinize the project details to make sure you are happy with them: Have you viewed the floor plans and site plans? Are you happy with the layouts and directional facings?

Before I continue, just to be sure, do ensure you are familiar with the SD, ABSD, SSD and LTV that are applicable to you. All these will have implications on your math. A competent real estate agent would be able to explain these to you. I also think it is highly recommended to have a loan approval-in-principal (AIP) done before you sign any property purchase agreement. This is to help you know the budget that you should look at. In my view, get more than one AIP so that you have a backup. Talk to the different banks to find out about their loan packages, compare and determine which one you are most comfortable with. With these information, do revisit your math and also consider stress-testing it.

Once you have done all of the above, determine whether you have time on your side. If yes, visit as many showflats or resale units as you can. Sometimes it is through such visits, you can discover what you like and what you don't like. Consider taking photos or videos of the showflats as they can help you to recall impressions of the showflats. Do note that showflats may not reflect the actual quality of the property you have purchased. This is a risk that all BUC buyers must bear. If unfortunately time is not on your side, sometimes it is good to go with your gut feel.

Don't buy a property because others are buying into it. Conversely speaking, don't shun a property because there are not many buyers. Just as no two properties are the same, there are also no two buyers of the same kind.

Good luck !!

I agree. This would be my preference.

My ultimate preference would be a resale at Casa Merah or Optima.

But, alas, those were the days when they built nice size units.

Those resale units, including the ones you have mentioned, are out of my reach. Whilst PSF is attractive the quantum is way more than I can afford.
    Cash is king VI. Of cos those are just listed pricing. U never know if the resale owners will give in to your offers.

Keep tab of such rare projects as they come rare (FH). Also you can always engage ur realtors to look out for smaller units in such properties.

Proximity to good schools like Temasek Primary = value will keep holding as long as Singaporeans with kids will always hunt for properties within 1km of good schools.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by iridrium View Post
    Don't think anyone can give you a satisfactory answer or even have a definite answer for you.

All I know is that if I buy Glade, I am buying at the highest $psf in that locality at the moment.

In comparison, if I buy SV, I know SH will always be higher price than SV.
    What about the answer that's been given out by the experts recently? I think it was Barclays. I'm sure folks here read it. From what I read, SG is sure heading for interest rate rises and for a 20% property price drop as well as vast oversupply leading to properties sat empty and/or very hard to rent out which logically means rental decreases.

This seems like a triple whammy. Add to that, many on here are saying The Glades is already over priced

I guess that means that when you combine all these factors you'd need to have had a lobotomy to even think about buying The Glades; or any Singapore property? Unless you are looking long term - maybe 10 years to reach a break even? And if you are an investor and can't tenant your investment property you are going to be paying for 2 properties and having to leave one empty. Sounds like a complete disaster. People are really going to feel the pain.

Any thoughts?

1,072,500 840 Strata 06 to 10 1,277psf Sep-13

First Caveat Lodged.

Some 3 bedroom compacts and 2 bedroom lofts are 840 sq feet.

I suspect this one is 2 bedroom stack 7 or 14, highest floor #10 with void space. Without void space, the floor area is only 678 sq ft.

Just speculating..