Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Collection of key

Default Collection of key

I'll be collecting my key next week. As this is the 1st time I'm buying a pte apartment for either owe stay or rental, I wonder what should I do after collecting the key. Hope that the forummers can help to enlighten me:-

1) Go direct to my apartment to have a look?
    2) Should I bring along anything with me on the same day to do some cleansing or do it some other day?
    3) If need to bring, what should I bring and what should I do?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Lav123 View Post
    I'll be collecting my key next week. As this is the 1st time I'm buying a pte apartment for either owe stay or rental, I wonder what should I do after collecting the key. Hope that the forummers can help to enlighten me:-

2) Should I bring along anything with me on the same day to do some cleansing or do it some other day?

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance
    developer give free water and electricity for 3 days only, starting from day of key collection.

on all aircon for 72 hrs to check for leakage.
    leave all water taps running for 72 hrs to check for leakage and blockage.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    developer give free water and electricity for 3 days only, starting from day of key collection.

Thank you so much. How long it takes to apply for electricity and gas?
    Do you mind to share, do you do any cleansing for your new home?

What a waste to our precious water, sorry but any more env-friendly way to carry out such checking?

so basically, because developer gives you 72 hours of something free, you wanna waste our country's resources? are you serious?

first time i am hearing developer giving 3 days free utilities- normally they cut off before handover. i strongly suggest TS, before you go nuts and leave everything on for 72 hours, that you can check that the utilities have not been cut off. sometimes the developer will cut off, but SP services may not have access to the pipes to put the seal/sticker to prevent usage.

if the apartment is brand new from developer - dont worry .. you have 1 year warranty to identify defects.

if you bought a subsale, any defects are your problem now. most likely your option has a clause "as is where is" which means you bought it and inspected it before taking option. trust me - you cant claim on this if its a subsale.

just hire a cleaning crew (spend about $150-200 for a small apartment) and have them professionally clean it. you'll wind up spending $50-100 on cleaning products anyway, so might as well let someone else break their back so you can enjoy your house.

Bro, ac leak cannot check like that lar.... Water leak also cannot check like that lar... It is over time bro....

Not all development are 72 hrs... Some are just for the day when u collect keys....

Bro, leave the cleaning part to the last part after envo....

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionx View Post
    so basically, because developer gives you 72 hours of something free, you wanna waste our country's resources? are you serious?

first time i am hearing developer giving 3 days free utilities- normally they cut off before handover. i strongly suggest TS, before you go nuts and leave everything on for 72 hours, that you can check that the utilities have not been cut off. sometimes the developer will cut off, but SP services may not have access to the pipes to put the seal/sticker to prevent usage.

if the apartment is brand new from developer - dont worry .. you have 1 year warranty to identify defects.

if you bought a subsale, any defects are your problem now. most likely your option has a clause "as is where is" which means you bought it and inspected it before taking option. trust me - you cant claim on this if its a subsale.

just hire a cleaning crew (spend about $150-200 for a small apartment) and have them professionally clean it. you'll wind up spending $50-100 on cleaning products anyway, so might as well let someone else break their back so you can enjoy your house.

Why worry got one year warranty for defects.
    Don't waste resources just because you are not paying. On water for 72 hours, you must be crazy. I will knock his coconut head whoever do that. One crazy guy is going to knock by me end of this year if his prediction not true & Sabo me.

hello, this is a stress test. do you want to be like the poor fellows who kena ripped by developers (like CDL & Ho bee) for poor quality and workmanship?
    if passed stress test, then you will really be assured that your stuff can last and not break down after 1 year warranty.
    if you want to be a nice guy, be my guest, but dont complain if things breakdown right after warranty period.
    And do you think developer will entertain you after warranty period over?
    first time i am hearing developer giving 3 days free utilities- normally they cut off before handover........
    different developers give different grace periods. the higher end condos will usually give longer period of free utilities.

this i agree with you, TS, better get really cleaning crew, dont waste time and your money

Quote Originally Posted by Wynyard View Post
    What a waste to our precious water, sorry but any more env-friendly way to carry out such checking?
    sure, can do pressure testing. but you need to block off the inlet and outlet.
    and then apply pressure up to rated pressure of the pipes.
    lets say the pressure rating of the water pipe is 3 bar. apply pressure up to 3 bar. leave it for 1 hour. see if there is pressure drop indicated in the pressure gauge.

also that only check the pipes, it doesnt check the waterproofing for the toilet tiles and other wet areas.

Quote Originally Posted by 3C View Post
    Why worry got one year warranty for defects.
    Don't waste resources just because you are not paying. On water for 72 hours, you must be crazy. I will knock his coconut head whoever do that. One crazy guy is going to knock by me end of this year if his prediction not true & Sabo me.
    you continue to amaze me.
    your thinking and Saw Phaik Hwa's thinking sama-sama. why worry about defects. cable tie enough for me. why waste my precious money.

some things just needed to be spent money on. dont try to save on necessary expenses.

it must be the fluoride in the water that lowers our citizen's IQ.
    no wonder each successive generation seems dumber and dumber.
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/fea...randjean-choi/

Depends. When I collected my keys for Clift, it was 3 weeks on their account. Only after all the defects rectification, I transfer to my name. And I will on the aircon for many hours to test for leakage. Nothing wrong with that. And I am glad I did. Clift is using LG aircon so there are a lot of problems. Gas leakage (after I on 1 day, no longer cold) and water leakage. LG has to change the whole water pipe.

Not all condos give you free electricity and water. Some are handed over without utilities. You have to apply for yourself. It really depends on developer.

You call SP Services. Usually 3-4 working days. Depends on their queue.

Thank you so much. How long it takes to apply for electricity and gas?
    Do you mind to share, do you do any cleansing for your new home?

the pipes are tested & approved before they are allowed to be used. They are designed to be more than catered for based on domestic use. You cannot test anything by on the tap 72 hours.
    You just need to on the tap full for 5 to 10 minutes to see whether the sink got any leakage. Any tap faulty or leakage can be observed when the tap is off not on by virtue of the pressure from the domestic water tank coming down from the rooftop or pumping water from below from Pub supply.

To Lav123 and others,

i forget to add the part about water leaking.

Do you know if your below neighbour complain about leaking from above, meaning leaking from your house.

You are the one who has to pay for the repair. And not only that monetary losses, the repairmen will enter your house, do hacking, make a mess, leave a mess and you have to take time off from work etc.

So you think whether worth it or not to check for leakage by performing stress test.

the pipes are tested & approved before they are allowed to be used. They are designed to be more than catered for based on domestic use. You cannot test anything by on the tap 72 hours.
    You just need to on the tap full for 5 to 10 minutes to see whether the sink got any leakage. Any tap faulty or leakage can be observed when the tap is off not on by virtue of the pressure from the domestic water tank coming down from the rooftop or pumping water from below from Pub supply.
    to answer your points.

the pipes are ok. It is the joints that are usually not OK. did the plumber apply the correct amount of PVC glue? if not correct amount, leakage occurs at the joints.
    If only on for 5-10 minutes, of course won't leak when brand new.
    when used for long time, then the PVC glue degrades and then the leakage and headache starts.

better if on the tap for a long time, the water rushing through the pipes will stress the joints. if not enough PVC glue, then will leak.

external leak at the taps is easy to replace/repaired.
    It is the internal leaks in the buried pipes that will cost a bomb and a few headaches.

to answer your points.

the pipes are ok. It is the joints that are usually not OK. did the plumber apply the correct amount of PVC glue? if not correct amount, leakage occurs at the joints.
    If only on for 5-10 minutes, of course won't leak when brand new.
    when used for long time, then the PVC glue degrades and then the leakage and headache starts.

better if on the tap for a long time, the water rushing through the pipes will stress the joints. if not enough PVC glue, then will leak.

external leak at the taps is easy to replace/repaired.
    It is the internal leaks in the buried pipes that will cost a bomb and a few headaches.
    Unlikely to test the joints if you on all the taps as the pressure will drop greatly with all the taps on. Anyway, after 72hrs, you mean you go downstair your neighbour open up the false ceiling to check leakage in the toilets? or your own waterpipes hidden in the false ceiling?

Unlikely to test the joints if you on all the taps as the pressure will drop greatly with all the taps on. Anyway, after 72hrs, you mean you go downstair your neighbour open up the false ceiling to check leakage in the toilets? or your own waterpipes hidden in the false ceiling?

the running water will stress the joints. water has mass, and running water has velocity, which equates to kinetic energy hitting on the joints.

well, neighbour will complain if leak right?
    dont tell me neighbour wait after 1 year before complaining. where to find this kind of neighbour?

and the earlier the leak is discovered, the better it is. meaning still under developer warranty.
    even better if leak is discovered before tenant has already shifted in, before your family has shifted in.
    what kind of people would inconvenience their family just because they dont want to perform stress test.

it is okay if a person has multiple residential properties to stay in. But if you have only 1 house to stay, then no choice you and your family have to bear the noise of hacking, the dirty footprints of the repairmen, the dust flying in the air. just to replace a leaky pipe/water proofing.
    i would not subject my family to these kind of inconveniences. i am not sure about the others and Lav123 though.

Thanks everybody, really appreciate all the contributions.

Any recommendation of any agency that can help with the cleaning.

BTW, any ideas how should I cleanse the house before I shift in inorder to have peace and luck (eg knock the four corners, buy pineapple or banana, on the cooker for fire etc.), I have no idea when should I start to do this, on the same day as I collect my key or any other days before I shift in? Mind to share your experience about the steps that I should follow?

Thanks everybody, really appreciate all the contributions.

Any recommendation of any agency that can help with the cleaning.

BTW, any ideas how should I cleanse the house before I shift in inorder to have peace and luck (eg knock the four corners, buy pineapple or banana, on the cooker for fire etc.), I have no idea when should I start to do this, on the same day as I collect my key or any other days before I shift in? Mind to share your experience about the steps that I should follow?
    whats ur belief system?

I guess water pipes and air-con problems are less of a hassle to detect. The main problems are floor and wall finishes. Get a stick or small marble to check them by striking over or drop over them to check for hollowness. These are wet work which is more messy.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance

Perhaps we should consolidation a check list and post as sticky in the forum thread for all new owners as a reference. . Sharing is caring!!

whats ur belief system?
    My religion is Taoist..

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    Depends. When I collected my keys for Clift, it was 3 weeks on their account. Only after all the defects rectification, I transfer to my name. And I will on the aircon for many hours to test for leakage. Nothing wrong with that. And I am glad I did. Clift is using LG aircon so there are a lot of problems. Gas leakage (after I on 1 day, no longer cold) and water leakage. LG has to change the whole water pipe.
    Reputable developers give 2 to 3 weeks or more iirc. 72 hrs seems cheapskate.

My religion is Taoist..
    Roll pineapple in to the home and shout "HUAT AH!"

Quote Originally Posted by darkseed73 View Post
    Roll pineapple in to the home and shout "HUAT AH!"

hahahaha

I am a free thinker ... but I remember my first condo ...

I placed a burner with burning charcoal in the living room, and threw a packet of rice and salt, and a packet of sweets and a Pair of socks ....

as for checking for defects ...

for living room and bedrooms .... I rolled a golf ball over the wooden floor..

you will be able to hear a different sound if the part below is hollow ...

for kitchen and bathroom .. I placed the same golf ball at the far corner and see if it rolls towards to drain hole .. this is to check to ensure water flows out and no ponding

as for aircon I merely leave them on from morning to end of day ...then do it again the next day ...listen out for funny noise or leakages and if its cold

as for water leakages in wash area ... it would take time to know if floor water proofing was done properly ... leaving water running for 24 hrs may not be effective

hope my experiences help

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    hahahaha

I am a free thinker ... but I remember my first condo ...

I placed a burner with burning charcoal in the living room, and threw a packet of rice and salt, and a packet of sweets and a Pair of socks ....

as for checking for defects ...

for living room and bedrooms .... I rolled a golf ball over the wooden floor..

you will be able to hear a different sound if the part below is hollow ...

for kitchen and bathroom .. I placed the same golf ball at the far corner and see if it rolls towards to drain hole .. this is to check to ensure water flows out and no ponding

as for aircon I merely leave them on from morning to end of day ...then do it again the next day ...listen out for funny noise or leakages and if its cold

as for water leakages in wash area ... it would take time to know if floor water proofing was done properly ... leaving water running for 24 hrs may not be effective

hope my experiences help
    nice. thanks.. hope more will contribute then if got time, i consolidate as a excel checklist.. starting from rolling pineapple on the floor as top 10 to do

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks in advance
    Collecting keys is not considering moving in, so you dont need any cleansing when visiting the apartment. Cleansing is usually done after renovation where every thing is installed. You will need to choose an auspicious date for it and you can get reference from this site.

http://www.chinesefortunecalendar.com/GoodEvents.htm

I was taught that during the cleansing day, i should turn on all the lights, aircon, stove, oven, water tap etc and let it run for say 5 to 10 mins. But I would recommend that you try to prep oven before that as sometime new oven has got the tenancy of tripping the circuit breaker. The solution around it is to turn on the circulation fan first and then slowly bring up the temperature. Perhaps thats to make sure everything is working.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Hi All,

I try to summarize it and add on some of my comments as well.. Please add on to the list if you have anymore ideas..

Key collection (To do list):
    1) on aircon - to check on funny noise and leakage
    2) on water tap - to check on gas leakage and water leakage
    3) roll golf ball over wooden floor - to check for different sound if the part below is hollow
    4) Kitchen & toilet - roll golf ball at far end to check if it rolls back towards the drain hole
    5) switch on all lights
    6) on stove and oven - try to prep oven before that as sometime new oven has got the tenancy of tripping the circuit breaker. The solution around it is to turn on the circulation fan first and then slowly bring up the temperature.
    7) check on all the flooring (crack? Or different color tone?)
    8) check on the anti-slam hinges for all cupboards
    9)

check your toilet WC to make sure the flushing system are working, no leaking from below and no over flowing during refill.

check for any potential water leak from wall. can tell if parquet floor become dark and warp or fungus stain on the wall.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."