Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A plan to house 2m more people

Default A plan to house 2m more people

Those living around the southern coast area might be in for a big surprise when URA release the Masterplan 2013.

Even as the debate continues over the 6.9 million figure in the population White Paper, veteran architect Tay Kheng Soon said at an industry lecture last night that Singapore can accommodate a population increase of up to two million.

All two million would be housed on a 2,187ha swathe of land along the southern coastline, stretching from Pandan Reservoir in the west to the East Coast Park beach.

Land where the Keppel and Marina Bay golf courses are currently sited would make way for housing, as would the port area once container port functions are consolidated in Tuas in the long term.

Space around the Gardens by the Bay would cater to the super-rich, with homes built on the sea to entice those keen on waterfront living. Some parts of the south would also be for schools, offices and factories.

And while this might mean Singapore loses its biggest beach, he said all other areas, including green and heritage spaces, need not be "disturbed".

Mr Tay's "southern intensification" proposal comes two weeks after an intense parliamentary debate over the population White Paper that projects Singapore's population rising by 1.6 million by 2030.

"What I hear is a lot of grumbling (about the White Paper), so let us as a profession contribute," said the former president of the Singapore Institute of Architects who is known for his outspoken and at times radical views.

The 73-year-old said his ideas came about before the policy document was unveiled, and were several years in the making. "I've been wanting to know the density limit for Singapore."

Unlike the Government Land Use Plan which also proposes reclaiming more land and consolidating military activities onto Tekong Island, his proposal focuses on the single large strip of land, building more densely on it.

Based on an assumption of 50 sq m of floor area per person that is comparable to a region in Virginia on the East Coast of the United States, a gross plot ratio of 4.5 can accommodate 1.968 million, he said. If this ratio is lowered to 4, then about 1.75 million people can be housed in the south.

Gross plot ratio is a measure of the density of building units in a given space. He said that the highest ratio here currently is 3.24, in Punggol.

Meanwhile, he proposed restructuring estates in other parts of Singapore, by having a central corridor in each. Schools, businesses and other amenities would be located along it, to build social cohesion and bonding.

The lecture drew a crowd of about 100 guests, including vice-president of the Economic Society of Singapore Yeoh Lam Keong.

Despite the seemingly controversial nature of the southern intensification plan, no one raised questions about it during a question-and-answer session after the lecture, at the Singapore Institute of Architects' premises in Tanjong Pagar.

Mr Yeoh, who has been following the population White Paper debate, told The Straits Times later: "Physically you might be able to squeeze in another two million... but it doesn't fully measure or avoid the negative impact on social well-being from increase in income and wealth inequality and overcrowding in common facilities."

Responding, Mr Tay said: "That's why I proposed not intensifying land use in other parts of Singapore, so that we can build social cohesion there. It will be like New York in the south of the country, and Bali in the north."
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

so? you're taking this as gospel truth?

Quote Originally Posted by eng81157 View Post
    so? you're taking this as gospel truth?
    so, you are saying you disagree with TKS?
    so, you are saying you have more urban planning experience than TKS?
    so, you are saying your have a better proposal?
    so, you woke up this morning with a sour taste in your mouth and decided not to brush your teeth?
    so, you are saying you have read of my signature and you like it?
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    so, you are saying you disagree with TKS?
    so, you are saying you have more urban planning experience than TKS?
    so, you are saying your have a better proposal?
    so, you woke up this morning with a sour taste in your mouth and decided not to brush your teeth?
    so, you are saying you have read of my signature and you like it?

all i'm saying it's sheer stupidity to take it as gospel truth and build arguments on something that isn't even concrete - like what you're doing.

let me apply what you preach,

1. govt is studying to build underground
    2. govt won't reclaim land as it is cheaper to build underground
    3. by doubling land use on the same amount of land, Singapore can accommodate 10mil people without batting an eyelid.
    4. coastline stays as it is

so moron, my postulation holds as much water as your claims since we are all building a scenario based on mere assumptions.

and i've been telling you to take comfort that reminding yourself daily of your own stupidity, doesn't make you smarter.

So are taking this as gospel truth?

Because I clearly didnt said that in my first post.
    You made that up and you try to make a big fuss out of it.

Like I said before, dont waste my time replying to my post just read my signature.

So are taking this as gospel truth?

Because I clearly didnt said that in my first post.
    You made that up and you try to make a big fuss out of it.

Like I said before, dont waste my time replying to my post just read my signature.

i am asking if you are taking lecture debates and non-concrete plans as gospel truth.

1. if you aren't, then you're effectively slapping yourself since you had been building your arguments on such.

2. if you are, then you had just shifted your stance out of convenience.

3. like i said, reminding yourself that you are stupid won't make your smarter.

i am asking if you are taking lecture debates and non-concrete plans as gospel truth.

1. if you aren't, then you're effectively slapping yourself since you had been building your arguments on such.

2. if you are, then you had just shifted your stance out of convenience.

3. like i said, reminding yourself that you are stupid won't make your smarter.

So why are you saying this is gospel truth?
    So are you trying to create something out of nothing?
    So are you saying gospel is the truth?

Can back.up.want you said

Ride at your own risk !!!

you rival minority in the realms of stupidity.

you are the one posting nonsensical stuff, repeatedly, that is entirely based on fiction.
    and yes, i believe that the gospel is truth (but that is an entirely different matter)

Mr Tay's "southern intensification" proposal comes two weeks after an intense parliamentary debate over the population White Paper that projects Singapore's population rising by 1.6 million by 2030.
    Ringo33, it is just a proposal.
    Last edited by hsifreffup; 25-09-13 at 11:16.

Eng never said it was gospel truth n he wasn't trying to create something out of nothing, read carefully. Don't make yourself look more like an idiot than you already are.

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators View Post
    Eng never said it was gospel truth n he wasn't trying to create something out of nothing, read carefully. Don't make yourself look more like an idiot than you already are.
    The Gospel truth is Bishan SV is now selling at a same or lower price than Jurong !

The Gospel truth is Bishan is of a more superior location than Jurong.

Thats all the gospel truth for now...

DKSG

That joker will whip out his beloved Caspian charts n jld plan to tell you his jgateway will perform as well, of course forgetting Caspian cost less than a third of what he paid.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG View Post
    The Gospel truth is Bishan SV is now selling at a same or lower price than Jurong !

DKSG

That joker will whip out his beloved Caspian charts n jld plan to tell you his jgateway will perform as well, of course forgetting Caspian cost less than a third of what he paid.
    The Jurong PC performed SUPERBLY well !
    By being able to rip off buyers to pay $1,7xx psf when the surrounding is only doing $1,1xx-$1,2xx. Developer performed well. Buyers ? eerrmmm ... they did well by queuing for long hours to empty their bank accounts.

Now that other places like Bishan is launching at $1,3xx-$1,4xx psf, the moment of realization is not too far away.

Anyway, I am waiting for someone to tell me Jurong is a more superior location than Bishan.

DKSG

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG View Post

DKSG
    If this was facebook i would have "liked" this.
    I've had enough. I'm done!!!

you rival minority in the realms of stupidity.

you are the one posting nonsensical stuff, repeatedly, that is entirely based on fiction.
    and yes, i believe that the gospel is truth (but that is an entirely different matter)

So you are saying GOSPEL is the truth.

Can you show us why it is true.
    Do you have FACTS to back it up what you said?

you're lucky if it's just charts and maps. he had an entire thread of rubbish dedicated to the building of a third IR at Jurong.

easily sensing sore thumb is running out of bullets to hold his "fort"

you're lucky if it's just charts and maps. he had an entire thread of rubbish dedicated to the building of a third IR at Jurong.

Stop avoiding my question.

You said in your own word that gospel is the truth.

Please back up what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by clemdale24 View Post
    If this was facebook i would have "liked" this.
    I could fully understand your feeling. obviously for something living in the east will always think the west is lousy, that why you are so busy talking down west region since your sign up last month.

And of course the idea of East Coast land reclamation is not going to go down well with people living around East Coast, because in maybe 20 years time, your east coast will become like Eunos.

You seems to be very passionate about property may I know where you have been before your found this forum last month?

Stop avoiding my question.

You said in your own word that gospel is the truth.

Please back up what you said.

WAHAHAHA......how i love it when morons dig a hole, jump in and bury themselves with sand.

since the 1800s, non-believers had been taking the Bible to court in the USA to disprove and not one case is successful. go better that

but this is not a debate of theological matters, it's about you treating fiction as concrete facts

WAHAHAHA......how i love it when morons dig a hole, jump in and bury themselves with sand.

since the 1800s, non-believers had been taking the Bible to court in the USA to disprove and not one case is successful. go better that

but this is not a debate of theological matters, it's about you treating fiction as concrete facts
    Calling me names does not equal to answering my question.

So in your own word are you saying Gospel is the truth, do you have prove that its the TRUTH?

So are you saying everyone in USA everyone speak the truth because of BIBLE in Court?

Are you also saying that Bible and Gospel is the only truth in the world? What about Quran?

Calling me names does not equal to answering my question.

So in your own word are you saying Gospel is the truth, do you have prove that its the TRUTH?

So are you saying everyone in USA everyone speak the truth because of BIBLE in Court?

Are you also saying that Bible and Gospel is the only truth in the world? What about Quran?
    eh, i've already answered your first question.

your second question is totally irrelevant. the gospel, being the truth, does not equate to a person being truthful. it's like saying Colonel Sanders is a chicken because he invented KFC. DUH

thirdly, i've already told you this is not a debate on theological matters but your nonsensical argument.

eh, i've already answered your first question.

your second question is totally irrelevant. the gospel, being the truth, does not equate to a person being truthful. it's like saying Colonel Sanders is a chicken because he invented KFC. DUH

thirdly, i've already told you this is not a debate on theological matters but your nonsensical argument.

If its irrelevant then why bring it up? How does USA court has got to do with Gospel truth? Are you saying USA came before the gospel, or USA created the gospel truth?

Poor Ringo!
    He merely started this thread to inform us of the article and you guys attack him right, left and centre.

Ringo is merely sharing with us what he has read.

I know Ringo has always promoted Jurong- but what's wrong with that?
    He has also highlighted to us of the possibility that land might be reclaimed on the southern and eastern coastal regions.

What 's wrong with that too?

It doesn't mean that it will happen.

I salute Ringo for his passion in sharing with us in what he believes.
    But that doesn't mean I will believe everything he says.
    But there is no need to flare up at him.

If its irrelevant then why bring it up? How does USA court has got to do with Gospel truth? Are you saying USA came before the gospel, or USA created the gospel truth?
    thanks for slapping yourself - why ask the question since it's irrelevant?
    secondly, you are way of out of your league on gospel history and so, i'll advise you to stay out of such discussion. until show some semblance of coherence, i won't bother throwing pearls to swine.

and please, don't digress from the topic of you subsituting fiction as facts

thanks for slapping yourself - why ask the question since it's irrelevant?
    secondly, you are way of out of your league on gospel history and so, i'll advise you to stay out of such discussion. until show some semblance of coherence, i won't bother throwing pearls to swine.

and please, don't digress from the topic of you subsituting fiction as facts
    Its totally relevant because it your first post you mentioned gospel truth. So without knowing what or if Gospel it true or not, how am I suppose to response to your comment.

So you said gospel is true, can you prove that to me.

Is this all fart and no shit? (EBD)

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    Poor Ringo!
    He merely started this thread to inform us of the article and you guys attack him right, left and centre.

Ringo is merely sharing with us what he has read.

I know Ringo has always promoted Jurong- but what's wrong with that?
    He has also highlighted to us of the possibility that land might be reclaimed on the southern and eastern coastal regions.

What 's wrong with that too?

It doesn't mean that it will happen.

I salute Ringo for his passion in sharing with us in what he believes.
    But that doesn't mean I will believe everything he says.
    But there is no need to flare up at him.
    you used the key phrase "it doesn't mean that it will happen", that all of us, except the moron, are harping on. i don't normally cut an argument down to size - we can agree to disagree. but when one puts forth one's views while belittling others', he better be prepared for challenges in his argument

Obviously the biggest moron in this thread is the one who doesnt understand the meaning when I said MIGHT.

Like I said before, dont waste my time, just read my signature.

Those living around the southern coast area might be in for a big surprise when URA release the Masterplan 2013.

Its totally relevant because it your first post you mentioned gospel truth. So without knowing what or if Gospel it true or not, how am I suppose to response to your comment.

So you said gospel is true, can you prove that to me.

Is this all fart and no shit? (EBD)
    wah piang, i've already stated that i believe the gospel to be truth and no one had successfully proved that it isn't in a court of law. should i prove to you that gravity is true or laws of thermodynamcis are real, since all these had already been proven to hold?

now you want to debate about theology?? like i said, show some semblance of coherence or else, why should i bother throwing pearls to swine?