Thread: Low rise vs high rise

Default Low rise vs high rise

Was just having a discussion with someone recently about the pros and cons of buying high rise vs low rise development for investment. When I say low rise, I mean around 5 to 8 stories, while high rise could mean anything from 30 floors and higher.

Which one do you think are more attractive to expat tenants? OR perhaps, which one will generate higher rental returns or better tenants

I have noticed several low rise project which are extremely popular among expats, e.g. Varsity Park, Clementi Wood, Glentress etc.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    Was just having a discussion with someone recently about the pros and cons of buying high rise vs low rise development for investment. When I say low rise, I mean around 5 to 8 stories, while high rise could mean anything from 30 floors and higher.

Which one do you think are more attractive to expat tenants? OR perhaps, which one will generate higher rental returns or better tenants

I have noticed several low rise project which are extremely popular among expats, e.g. Varsity Park, Clementi Wood, Glentress etc.
    I do not think high-rise or low-rise is the only factor. I am a high-rise goer (windy and no mosquitoes), but when I went into Varsity Park, I liked it immediately. Not because it is low-rise, but the overall feeling of home, privacy and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by lionhill View Post
    I do not think high-rise or low-rise is the only factor. I am a high-rise goer (windy and no mosquitoes), but when I went into Varsity Park, I liked it immediately. Not because it is low-rise, but the overall feeling of home, privacy and comfort.
    actually from what I gathered, foreigners who live in big countries are not very comfortable with high rise apartment. perhaps due to fear of heights.

And then there are also some very superstitious people who think that living too high up is also no good.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

I believe it depends on whether they are a city or county side person. I got a couple who came viewing the 33-storey apartment and the wife was so scared to walk near the balcony. Another British guy who like the view of the flyer and sea took it immediately.

Pls la, only high earners will be your tenants for high rise because these are usually bankers from the city area. For industralists kind, I think they prefer low rise. That explain why The Cliff and The Sail can command a higher rental than the inner city fringe side lor.

you guys should direct such questions in future to an old bird like me. I have been renting out to expats since I was 19 years old.

Good Luck.

A New Yorker who rented my terrace in bukit timah once asked me if I have another property available for him in city. I told him city no landed la. He said he did not mind cramping his 3 person family into my 700sqft highrise condo in shentonway hor !

True enough, 10 years later, you see them family living in small highrise apartment in marina bay area.

I was like...........

Those that used to rent GCB CEOs are also moving into smaller Semi-D in RCR like Katong area.

Good Luck, you will all need it especially if you own GCBs.

Low rise is good provided you do not have high rise neighbours overlooking you. Also landscaping is very important for low rise developments to get that resort feel.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack21trader View Post
    Pls la, only high earners will be your tenants for high rise because these are usually bankers from the city area. For industralists kind, I think they prefer low rise. That explain why The Cliff and The Sail can command a higher rental than the inner city fringe side lor.
    I dont think there is any link between wealth and high rise actually. AFAIK, there are people paying over $20K rent a month to renting Nassim Park Residence which is a low rise development.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    Low rise is good provided you do not have high rise neighbours overlooking you. Also landscaping is very important for low rise developments to get that resort feel.
    Of course we dont consider those small development like those we see in D15. For bigger development with family size apartment, i think it does offer a very unique charm as compared to those highrise apartment.

And I believe highrise apartment are getting very common these days where as good low rise development are hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    Of course we dont consider those small development like those we see in D15. For bigger development with family size apartment, i think it does offer a very unique charm as compared to those highrise apartment.

And I believe highrise apartment are getting very common these days where as good low rise development are hard to come by.

my personal experience as a landlord...

young and single ang moh prefer high rise
    young and married ang moh with kids prefer low rise / landed

it is true that a lot of ang moh women damn scare of high rise .. and mind you they live in the city back home.. just that their high rise is much lower ...

Some low rise condo pictures:
    The Peak
    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...-sale-the-peak

Canberra Residences

The Raintree
    http://www.h88.com.sg/article/Condo+...+The+Raintree/

Terrene @ bukit timah

Ferraria park condo