Thread: The Bendemeer/ Boon Keng area

Default The Bendemeer/ Boon Keng area

What are your thoughts about the bendemeer/ boon keng area? many ppl find it a complicated and messy area, ie lots of HDBs, crowded, high traffic volume etc. but i see alot of potential for growth in the next decade or so, with the introduction of new condos in such close proximity to the city.

im just trying to get an honest opinion from the gurus in here. thanks.
    I've had enough. I'm done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clemdale24 View Post
    What are your thoughts about the bendemeer/ boon keng area? many ppl find it a complicated and messy area, ie lots of HDBs, crowded, high traffic volume etc. but i see alot of potential for growth in the next decade or so, with the introduction of new condos in such close proximity to the city.

I have stayed here for 2 years.
    Yes, the main road seems messy & crowded.
    But off the main road, it's quite peaceful.

I easily drive to & from orchard within 10min.
    Within 5min, I am to either nex or city sq for grocery, entertainment...

Well. It could be just me...

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by repanse71 View Post
    I have stayed here for 2 years.
    Yes, the main road seems messy & crowded.
    But off the main road, it's quite peaceful.

I easily drive to & from orchard within 10min.
    Within 5min, I am to either nex or city sq for grocery, entertainment...

Well. It could be just me...

Regards
    Hope it grow more mall and etc

I worked at boonkeng for close to 5 years. I like the area very much, because its so convenient to go to any part of singapore from there, be it by car, bus or MRT. The traffic could be busy in the evening, but I remember every evening when i drive home after work, it was just slow moving and never really the super jam kind. Expressways like CTE and PIE (east bound) could be worse.

The Boon Keng market area is self sufficient, with several major banks like UOB and DBS, and fast food joints, clinics, minimarts, pharmacies, confectionery, restaurants, a wet market and a fantastic hawker centre that sells fantastic food.

Downside is that the area gives people a very old and run down feeling.

I guess renewal is in progress with many new bto and condo projects in construction.

3 of my favorite restaurants are there.
    http://www.laiwahrestaurant.com/
    http://www.yuanxingchaozhou.com/
    http://ieatishootipost.sg/2012/02/li...t-teochew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Noexit View Post
    Hope it grow more mall and etc
    Yup, it's growing with nearby mixed development with retails store. but guess will take another 4 to 5 years to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro View Post
    I worked at boonkeng for close to 5 years. I like the area very much, because its so convenient to go to any part of singapore from there, be it by car, bus or MRT. The traffic could be busy in the evening, but I remember every evening when i drive home after work, it was just slow moving and never really the super jam kind. Expressways like CTE and PIE (east bound) could be worse.

The Boon Keng market area is self sufficient, with several major banks like UOB and DBS, and fast food joints, clinics, minimarts, pharmacies, confectionery, restaurants, a wet market and a fantastic hawker centre that sells fantastic food.

Downside is that the area gives people a very old and run down feeling.
    I agree with all that you have said here. the convenience, the self sufficient market, it truly quite unbeatable. as for the downside, it is true that boonkeng is quite an old estate. many old HDB flats and one room flats directly next to the MRT station. this is why many consider boonkeng a "complicated" area.. which i do not disagree with. however, this can potentially be an upside too. which means that in years to come, this has the potential to be torn down and developed into something new, possibly raising the value of property in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    I guess renewal is in progress with many new bto and condo projects in construction.

3 of my favorite restaurants are there.
    http://www.laiwahrestaurant.com/
    http://www.yuanxingchaozhou.com/
    http://ieatishootipost.sg/2012/02/li...t-teochew.html

haha. i tried laiwah quite recently, maybe a couple of months back. i didnt think the food was that good! i havent tried the other 2 u mentioned, maybe i should..

Quote Originally Posted by iwant2buyproperty View Post
    Yup, it's growing with nearby mixed development with retails store. but guess will take another 4 to 5 years to enjoy it.
    currently there are quite a few new projects being developed in the boonkeng/ st michaels area:
    1. eight riversuites
    2. regent residences
    3. bendemeer light (bto)
    4. mcnair towers (bto)
    5. riviera 38
    6. riverbay

7. not to forget, the land diagonally opposite eight riversuites has been reacquired by the government (together with some of the shophouses that line serangoon road). what the gov does with this plot of land im not too sure. any ideas/ updates/ hearsay?

Kwong Wai Shiu hospice was in the news yesterday. Its gonna be refurbished/ungraded by 2017 into the medical hub for elderly. old buildings wil be torn down, and new ones will be built for the hospice. the 3 storey frontage will be preserved as a heritage symbol.

will this do anything for boon keng- the forgotten one for so long?

Kwong Wai Shiu hospice was in the news yesterday. Its gonna be refurbished/ungraded by 2017 into the medical hub for elderly. old buildings wil be torn down, and new ones will be built for the hospice. the 3 storey frontage will be preserved as a heritage symbol.

will this do anything for boon keng- the forgotten one for so long?
    Rental demand will go up in the area, but beneficiary will be hdb flat owners as profile of tenants may not be high end type.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Rental demand will go up in the area, but beneficiary will be hdb flat owners as profile of tenants may not be high end type.
    I think anything more than 4% returns, and no one should complain. high end tenants or not as long as they provide those kind of returns.

to me i think any sort of upgrade to any sort of building in the boon keng area will do it benefit. still waiting for the announcement on what that empty site beside 8RS will be. it will be interesting. then hope for euroasia to en bloc, then wait for the one room hdbs to be upgraded into new btos, then everything will turn out just fine.

The empty plot of land along serangoon road, diagonally from 8RS, remains residential, but the plot ratio was increased from 3.5 --> 4.2.

Any ideas?

4.2? Is that meant EC or HDB?

8RS is 3.5 and PC.

Quote Originally Posted by iforum View Post
    4.2? Is that meant EC or HDB?

8RS is 3.5 and PC.
    If that high regent residence will be block no city view

If that high regent residence will be block no city view
    That is what we have to accept when living in a city where buildings are built higher and higher. One St. Michael has a city view now, but once RR is ready, there will be no more.

Even without the plot ratio being increased, the RR's view will be blocked if Euro-Asia Apt is redeveloped (Recall that it went through a failed en-bloc before).

Quote Originally Posted by angel.tan View Post
    That is what we have to accept when living in a city where buildings are built higher and higher. One St. Michael has a city view now, but once RR is ready, there will be no more.

Even without the plot ratio being increased, the RR's view will be blocked if Euro-Asia Apt is redeveloped (Recall that it went through a failed en-bloc before).
    True but is just never know the ratio getting higher , and no one know the plot of land was enblocs at that time only know euro Asia apt will enblocs ( but fail) . But if good too if the plot of land is Buliding condo may push up the project near by

True but is just never know the ratio getting higher , and no one know the plot of land was enblocs at that time only know euro Asia apt will enblocs ( but fail) . But if good too if the plot of land is Buliding condo may push up the project near by
    its just one of the things i noticed while the 2008 and 2013 masterplans. if anyone here notices other differences feel free to highlight them in this thread.

will be really interesting to know what its gonna be, this plot of land. will definitely change the landscape of boonkeng once everything is built up.