Thread: Alex Residences latest to cut prices

Default Alex Residences latest to cut prices

http://www.straitstimes.com/archive/...rices-20131109

Alex Residences latest to cut prices

It follows similar move at Sky Vue as debt-to-income cap makes impact

Published on Nov 09, 2013

By Melissa Tan

THE Alex Residences condominium is the latest to cut prices as developers struggle to move units in a weak property market.

The 429-unit project near Redhill MRT station will launch at an average $1,650 per sq ft (psf) when sales begin next Saturday, SingLand said.

This is cheaper than the deve- lopment's next-door neighbour Echelon, which launched last December and is fully sold. Units there went for an average $1,795psf, Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) data shows.

"Under normal circumstances, Alex Residences should have been priced above Echelon," said Mr Michael Ng, group general manager of UIC, SingLand's parent company.

But a debt-to-income cap introduced in late June under a total debt servicing ratio framework has made it difficult for would-be buyers to get financing, noted Mr Ng, who was speaking at the project's showflat yesterday.

He said about 150 units at the 99-year leasehold development would be released in the first phase and nearly 90 per cent of them will cost less than $2 million each.

Prices start at $760,000 for a 474 sq ft one-bedder and go up to slightly above $2 million for a 1,044 sq ft three-bedroom unit. The project is expected to be completed in February 2019.

Mr Danny Yeo, group managing director at the project's marketing agency Knight Frank, said in a statement that average resale prices of completed units in the Alexandra Road and River Valley area have climbed about 9 per cent annually for the past two years, while average rents have risen by 4 per cent to 6 per cent.

SingLand paid $970 psf per plot ratio (ppr) for the Redhill site last December, which translates to a breakeven price of about $1,450 psf ppr.

The land cost was much higher than the $754 psf ppr a City Developments consortium paid for the Echelon site in December 2011.

The price cut at Alex Residences follows a similar reduction in September at CapitaLand's 694-unit Sky Vue project in Bishan.

Sky Vue moved 410 units on its first day of sales at an average $1,500 psf - cheaper than the average $1,589 psf at the neighbouring Sky Habitat.

Prices could also be lowered slightly at the launch of the 660-unit Duo Residences in Bugis, though developer M+S is keeping mum.

Consultants had expected the 99-year leasehold project near Kampong Glam to be priced above $2,000 psf on average, given its location and the fact that it is part of an integrated development.

However, agents told The Straits Times yesterday that average launch prices could be in the region of $1,700 psf to $2,000 psf instead.

Priority sales will be on Thursday, with public balloting on Friday. M+S declined to comment.

Market watchers noted that it was difficult to assess launch prices in the Bugis area as there were few comparable projects nearby.

One of the nearest is the 360-unit Concourse Skyline in Beach Road, which was launched in September 2008 and is only around 67 per cent sold, according to URA data.

The average price of new sales at the 99-year leasehold Concourse Skyline since 2008 is $1,596 psf.

Buyer interest has been high at both Alex Residences and Duo Residences, though it remains to be seen whether that will translate into actual sales.

Knight Frank declined to disclose how many cheques had been collected for the Alex Residences project, but said that about 1,500 people visited its showflat last weekend.

The Duo showflat was also packed when The Straits Times visited last Saturday.

[email protected]

after sky vue, now alex resi oso intends to launch lower den neighbouring new launches.

even then its not cheap. low floors may be cheap but when u go past 3x something, 3 bedders will be > 2m and close to if not > 2000psf.

Quality will set to drop too as developers try to mitigate smaller profits. Please expect cheaper materials and finishing too. For example, the common areas will have porcelain tiles over granite/marble or worse, you may get cement floors.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

Quote Originally Posted by ecimbew View Post
    Quality will set to drop too as developers try to mitigate smaller profits. Please expect cheaper materials and finishing too. For example, the common areas will have porcelain tiles over granite/marble or worse, you may get cement floors.
    oh pls, when $ r expensive, shd one expect higher quality?
    since it is all subjected to yr luck, I would rather pay lower.

dont know if its supposed to be a well thought out "feature"....

the 3 bedder has a squatting toilet bowl for the maid's toilet.

they covered up the bowl with decking and suggested that we could use it as a store.

this kind of news headline will be good for all of us.

simply means no cm is require even though it is fully sold

Quote Originally Posted by jackkel View Post
    dont know if its supposed to be a well thought out "feature"....

the 3 bedder has a squatting toilet bowl for the maid's toilet.

they covered up the bowl with decking and suggested that we could use it as a store.
    Wah....maid also human lay...nowaday developer really becoming very creative in cutting cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    even then its not cheap. low floors may be cheap but when u go past 3x something, 3 bedders will be > 2m and close to if not > 2000psf.
    I wonder how come they wanna price the psf for larger units to be higher den the 1 bedder?

becoz the 3 bedder is really compact and that area could attract keen interest for families who are interested in 3 bedders.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
    I wonder how come they wanna price the psf for larger units to be higher den the 1 bedder?

becoz the 3 bedder is really compact and that area could attract keen interest for families who are interested in 3 bedders.
    the floorplan for the mm is not bad too.
    wif such pricing, the mm in alex resi became very attractive while 3 bedder became relatively exp as compared to other new launches.

with tdsr, I wonder if the larger units is movable ...

maybe up to 20th floor should be able to move, they indicated from 1.32m up to 1.6m for 20th floor for the 883 sq ft and 926 sq ft 3 bedders (the one without the utility room). above that maybe slower to sell?

the floorplan for the mm is not bad too.
    wif such pricing, the mm in alex resi became very attractive while 3 bedder became relatively exp as compared to other new launches.

with tdsr, I wonder if the larger units is movable ...

maybe up to 20th floor should be able to move, they indicated from 1.32m up to 1.6m for 20th floor for the 883 sq ft and 926 sq ft 3 bedders (the one without the utility room). above that maybe slower to sell?
    dunno still got how many cash rice ppl out there to grab exp high flr units ...
    of cos I would feel tat getting a 3 bedder for $1.6mil at such location is a gd deal in today's context, but 1.6mil would means the mthly repayment can be easily $5k even wif a 30yr loan .... for a 1st timer, combined income must be at least $8k.
    I really wonder how many r really not affect by tdsr wor ....

if I can get a loan I will be interested to get one too

i guess there are many hdb upgraders who are capable of this kind of quantum. for eg neighbouring tiong bahru and redhill hdbs can easily sell for 800 to 900k.

if they sell their flat for even the worst case of 800k, had they bought cheaper e.g. 400 to 600k, they will have the money. at 1.6m, they will only increase whatever loan by another 800k. safe to say, total loan amount will be at most 1.2m. these pple are upgraders, not first timers. thus, they should be older, maybe around 30 and combined income easily more than 10 to 12k. so after i have built in all these worst case scenarios, the 1.6m 3 bedder is still affordable in that sense.

however, i feel its too big a downgrade in size. i would NEVER sell a 1200 sq ft hdb for a 926 sq ft 3 bedder at alex while increasing my loan. imagine, your friends can't even come and visit you, no visitor lots! security will tell them to go and park elsewhere, ie the hdb nearby!

dunno still got how many cash rice ppl out there to grab exp high flr units ...
    of cos I would feel tat getting a 3 bedder for $1.6mil at such location is a gd deal in today's context, but 1.6mil would means the mthly repayment can be easily $5k even wif a 30yr loan .... for a 1st timer, combined income must be at least $8k.
    I really wonder how many r really not affect by tdsr wor ....

if I can get a loan I will be interested to get one too

i guess there are many hdb upgraders who are capable of this kind of quantum. for eg neighbouring tiong bahru and redhill hdbs can easily sell for 800 to 900k.

if they sell their flat for even the worst case of 800k, had they bought cheaper e.g. 400 to 600k, they will have the money. at 1.6m, they will only increase whatever loan by another 800k. safe to say, total loan amount will be at most 1.2m. these pple are upgraders, not first timers. thus, they should be older, maybe around 30 and combined income easily more than 10 to 12k. so after i have built in all these worst case scenarios, the 1.6m 3 bedder is still affordable in that sense.
    lol ... Im not sure if combined income of $10k-$12k is wat a typical couple is EASILY earning nowadays.

however, i feel its too big a downgrade in size. i would NEVER sell a 1200 sq ft hdb for a 926 sq ft 3 bedder at alex while increasing my loan.
    tat's the problem with the mindset. unwilling to give up big hdb for smaller luxury condo ...

ie on average each earning 5 to 6k? its not typical but there are a lot of such pple.

this condo is also not targeted at typical. inflora was.

lol ... Im not sure if combined income of $10k-$12k is wat a typical couple is EASILY earning nowadays.

tat's the problem with the mindset. unwilling to give up big hdb for smaller luxury condo ...

why are you so interested in this huh ? a bit low for your taste, no ?

I read somewhere the lap pool is only 5m by 18m ??

huh? u know that i kpo every project prime and just outside prime what. doesn't matter buy or not, just like to kpo.

there are 2 pools. another one is sky pool. but both are equally thin and short.

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    why are you so interested in this huh ? a bit low for your taste, no ?

I read somewhere the lap pool is only 5m by 18m ??

Based on Squarefoot info, the breakeven price is $1450psf, thus with an average selling price of $1650psf, there is still quite some profit for the developer.

Site use Residential
    Tenure 99
    Site area (sqm) 6,501.4
    Site GFA (sqm) 31,857.0
    Highest bid ($m) 332.7
    Highest bid ($psf) 970.2
    Number of bids 6

Land ($m) 332.7
    Construction ($m) 102.9
    Land Financing ($m) 23.3
    Professional / Legal / Taxes ($m) 32.3
    Marketing / Others ($m) 5.9