Thread: Question about Hacking External Wall

Default Question about Hacking External Wall

Hi guys, A newbie question:

Assuming I had bought a condo unit that looks something like this:

It comes with a high ceiling above the living room, and adjoins my opened-air roof terrace outside the wall. Let's say I want to build a 5 sqm deck INSIDE the house in the future. Can I modify the external wall at where the roof terrace is, so as to accommodate a door? (see diagram above)

What are the rules governing modification of external walls? Is the wall at the roof terrace as drawn above considered an "external" wall?

Thanks.

It is an external wall. I know terrace house has tried doing this but was asked by authority to remove it. I suppose it applies to condo too. You may need to check with your MA. Even if you can do it, do take note of the waterproofing near the door and the drainage on the flat roof.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunboy77 View Post
    Hi guys, A newbie question:

Assuming I had bought a condo unit that looks something like this:

It comes with a high ceiling above the living room, and adjoins my opened-air roof terrace outside the wall. Let's say I want to build a 5 sqm deck INSIDE the house in the future. Can I modify the external wall at where the roof terrace is, so as to accommodate a door? (see diagram above)

What are the rules governing modification of external walls? Is the wall at the roof terrace as drawn above considered an "external" wall?

Thanks.

Thanks man.
    Wow even terraced houses can't do it. I think condo totally no chance liao...

Quote Originally Posted by sunboy77 View Post
    Thanks man.
    Wow even terraced houses can't do it. I think condo totally no chance liao...
    need to check with management, whether they allow then ask architect for implication involved and whether he wants to stamp and approve it (because anything happens, he may need to be responsible). Chances are slim but can try ask

you cant just hack a wall and expect the remaining wall above it not to come crashing or sag. You could create a door frame to support it, but there is a limit. And if there is any water seepage from the external wall down to all your neighbors below, you will be liable for all their repairs.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."