Thread: Rental yields of non-landed private homes down at 3.9%

Default Rental yields of non-landed private homes down at 3.9%

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/arch...wn-39-20140118

Published January 18, 2014

Rental yields of non-landed private homes down at 3.9%

By Mindy Tan [email protected]

RENTAL yields for non-landed private homes fell below the 4 per cent psychological mark at 3.9 per cent in 2013, from 4.2 per cent the previous year, according to the Singapore Real Estate Exchange (SRX).

"For many investors seeking income from residential properties, 4 per cent is a psychological barrier when it comes to rental yields," Jeremy Lee, SRX co-founder and chief technology officer said.

He noted that investors generally seek yields above 4 per cent to justify the risks inherent in property as an asset. "Below 4.0 per cent, investors worry that inflation will wipe out their gains," he said.

Of the 34 planning areas in Singapore, 31 experienced a weakening in median gross rental yields.

Four locations, comprising Orchard, Tanglin, Southern Islands (Sentosa Cove) and Newton, saw gross rental yields below 3 per cent.

"In the prime areas, the cost of homes is out of balance with the rents they command," said Mr Lee. "The homes are relatively expensive because of their location. At the same time, there is downward pressure on rents, caused in part by the shrinking or disappearance of expatriate housing allowances."

On the other end of the spectrum, Outram, Yishun, Geylang, Tampines and Jurong West registered gross yields of 4 per cent or above. The highest yield was seen in Outram, which saw its rental yield go up from 4.6 per cent in the first half of the year to end at 5.1 per cent.

Separately, three planning areas - Downtown Core, Southern Islands and Outram - bucked the downward trend and saw their rental yields increase by 2.5 per cent, 15.5 per cent, and 16.8 per cent, respectively.

This is because while median rentals in these areas have increased, their median transacted prices have fallen, said Nicholas Mak, executive director at SLP International. "For example, in the Outram planning area in 2013, median rentals increased 8 per cent year-on-year, while capital values decreased by 3.7 per cent year-on-year," he said.

"A possible reason for the increase in residential rents in these three planning areas is that they are at the city fringe, and there was very little new supply of completed private housing units in 2013. This shows that rental demand in certain city fringe locations is still healthy," he added.

It would be a double edge sword if rental yield goes down while interest rate goes up.

Property price go up sure yield go down. Low yields only apply to carrotheads who buy high.

carrotheads might have already exhausted by now.

siao liao
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

ha ha only specific CCR rental increases, downtown core, outram, southern islands...accordingly buy East Coast - carrot heads, buy Bishan - carrot heads, buy JLD - carrot heads, buy RCR - carrot heads, keep cash - carrot heads

When the big fall comes I fear many people will be shocked how far and fast it can fall. In 1996-2000, my apt fall from $2900 to eventually )1250...

Quote Originally Posted by smellyfish View Post
    When the big fall comes I fear many people will be shocked how far and fast it can fall. In 1996-2000, my apt fall from $2900 to eventually )1250...
    thanks for the reminder.. it is indeed scary

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

High yield may be because investors believe little potential capital appreciation NOW and in FUTURE?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    Property price go up sure yield go down. Low yields only apply to carrotheads who buy high.

siao liao
    In the final analysis.....its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...

Bro, I like your present signature which says :

"At the end of the day its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...".

Well said!

Let's not stress our next generation.

Quote Originally Posted by dtrax View Post
    thanks for the reminder.. it is indeed scary
    hahaha.. but people forget about bad days very fast one...

The series of cooling measures has see landlords loaning less than 50%. Meaning that current rental is more than twice the monthly mortgage. So rental dive to half, still can cover mortgage. Not forgetting these few years already collected alot of buffer cash. In 1996-2000 got similar measures?

With the massive supply coming up and reduction of foreigners.. The final nail for landlord is finding tenant to cover mortgage..

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post

"At the end of the day its NOT whether you have a diploma,degree,masters OR PHD....its whether you have a HDB/PC/EC or LANDED...".

Well said!

ha ha my wife also laugh when i told her this

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post

Well said!

Very true. Hahaha.

I was referring to those who paid peanuts for pc in the not so distant past, the rental yield is phenomenal. Imagine in 2009 when the sail was going for $1400psf n many many projects were going at a bargain then, how can those who bought at those kind of timing be having low rental yield? It is only those who buy in recent times after missing many boats that are having low yields. Of course carrotheads like you know who would want to believe the past trend is still prevalent in today's purchase

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    High yield may be because investors believe little potential capital appreciation NOW and in FUTURE?

Rental yield for all recent purpose is going to be very challenging. Good luck to those who invested recently for the intention of getting rental yield.

No problem finding tenant if your property is in sought after CCR.....
    You may be right if you property is in OCR though............

Quote Originally Posted by oops View Post
    With the massive supply coming up and reduction of foreigners.. The final nail for landlord is finding tenant to cover mortgage..

No lah, I am referring to current market price, not the price people pay some time ago.
    Some people you know who always like to say they can get high yield NOW and in future (based on historical trend somewhere else), so most likely is probably their properties may have little capital appreciation potential that is why can get higher yield mah....

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    I was referring to those who paid peanuts for pc in the not so distant past, the rental yield is phenomenal. Imagine in 2009 when the sail was going for $1400psf n many many projects were going at a bargain then, how can those who bought at those kind of timing be having low rental yield? It is only those who buy in recent times after missing many boats that are having low yields. Of course carrotheads like you know who would want to believe the past trend is still prevalent in today's purchase

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    No lah, I am referring to current market price, not the price people pay some time ago.
    Some people you know who always like to say they can get high yield NOW and in future (based on historical trend somewhere else), so most likely is probably their properties may have little capital appreciation potential that is why can get higher yield mah....

any idea how developers can Guarantee a certain pct of rental return for 2yrs ?

Factor that into selling price

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    I believe it's called financial engineering - and designed to sell property to naive carrotheads.

I (the developer) offer you a guaranteed rental yield of 6% for 2 years or something that looks great.

The market would realistically only support 3%.
    So I just add the missing 3% for 2 years into the selling price.

The developer finds you a tenant and tops up to 6%. You feel happy for 2 years. When the 2 years are up - you get are quite surprised to find out your tenant doesn't want to renew at what you thought was a very standard rate.

At which point the developer has your money & the reality of the rental market is now your problem.

How this is legal is a mystery to me.
    How anyone can be so dumb to fall for it - ditto.