Thread: Video by BBC : Singapore's hidden poverty problem

Default Video by BBC : Singapore's hidden poverty problem

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-2...ID=twitterasia

Singapore may be one of the wealthiest and most developed countries in the world, but poverty remains a worrying problem.

Despite holding the world's highest concentration of millionaires, the city-state also boasts the second-biggest inequality gap among Asia's advanced economies.

So how do you live in a city that's becoming increasingly expensive? The BBC's Sharanjit Leyl reports.

No money for medicine, can have 6 children and got money for body art, that is the poor in Singapore.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Indeed!
    Are these the same people who say property price too expensive for them to afford, but have money to drive a BMW or Mercedes, dine in restaurants everyday and go holiday to far-away place at least once a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    No money for medicine, can have 6 children and got money for body art, that is the poor in Singapore.

That is the problem with a certain group of people, no money yet keep giving birth to one after another. Give them so much help in education etc still cannot progress in society. Drug rehab also half populated by them. No wonder govt need more foreigners here to maintain some equilibrium, otherwise our country will collapse with too many from this group.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickstar View Post
    That is the problem with a certain group of people, no money yet keep giving birth to one after another. Give them so much help in education etc still cannot progress in society. Drug rehab also half populated by them. No wonder govt need more foreigners here to maintain some equilibrium, otherwise our country will collapse with too many from this group.
    Actually they are not the problem, the problem is the half Ang Mo (Sharanjit Leyl) reporting them did not give the correct reporting and using the wrong type of people to report.

Sharanjit Leyl

Yah reporting the wrong group coz that group is always status quo

Actually they are not the problem, the problem is the half Ang Mo (Sharanjit Leyl) reporting them did not give the correct reporting and using the wrong type of people to report.

Sharanjit Leyl

Well as long as what they show is actually happen in Singapore. That is fact. Whether you like the picture or not, it is still the fact. The poor in Singapore still much better compare the poor in Indonesia

Using wrong group to represent Singapore coz that group is bad representation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiwara View Post
    Well as long as what they show is actually happen in Singapore. That is fact. Whether you like the picture or not, it is still the fact. The poor in Singapore still much better compare the poor in Indonesia

Using wrong group to represent Singapore coz that group is bad representation.
    In all country there always be good side and bad side. If we only put good side on the news that is wrong. If we always put bad side on the news that is also wrong. To be fair we need to put both on the news.

If one group of people remain status quo (or getting worse) whether economy going up or down, left or right, I don't think we can take that group to represent the nation. It is true that poor people are in every country, but you need to ask why some are poorer than others when the whole country is prospering. I attribute to lousy family planning n lazy genes for these people.

In all country there always be good side and bad side. If we only put good side on the news that is wrong. If we always put bad side on the news that is also wrong. To be fair we need to put both on the news.

If one group of people remain status quo (or getting worse) whether economy going up or down, left or right, I don't think we can take that group to represent the nation. It is true that poor people are in every country, but you need to ask why some are poorer than others when the whole country is prospering. I attribute to lousy family planning n lazy genes for these people.
    It is common sense for smart people to not understand less smart people also the other away around. Some of smart people will think why they can not understand, why they do that. Have we ever think, do God ask us first before we born in the world to choose to become smart or less smart. It's God decision that the world is they way it is.

My impression is "why some of more fortunate people hate so much to less fortunate people". I agree with you that less smart people make more wrong choice in their live.

新加坡人的笨

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtKzVJHJR04

I don't think I mentioned anything about people being stupid. In fact I can forgive people for being stupid but I cant forgive lazy people. Nick Vujicic who has no arms and legs is doing the world more good than so many so called poor able-bodied singaporeans who don't know what birth control is n day in day out waiting for govt to give handouts.

It is common sense for smart people to not understand less smart people also the other away around. Some of smart people will think why they can not understand, why they do that. Have we ever think, do God ask us first before we born in the world to choose to become smart or less smart. It's God decision that the world is they way it is.

My impression is "why some of more fortunate people hate so much to less fortunate people". I agree with you that less smart people make more wrong choice in their live.

I don't think I mentioned anything about people being stupid. In fact I can forgive people for being stupid but I cant forgive lazy people. Nick Vujicic who has no arms and legs is doing the world more good than so many so called poor able-bodied singaporeans who don't know what birth control is n day in day out waiting for govt to give handouts.
    I acknowledge that you and I have different point of view. It is not about right or wrong. It is different point of view (different angle). So I will not try to convince you to agree or disagree with me. In every country in the world there always be what you call "this group of people". I agree that they are not represent the hole of country.

everyday I can see people leftover food or over-ordering food and not consumed...

Probably you need to go to the ground and see them why are they being lazy. I have seen some who do not want to work because it is too far away or salary not too high and complain to gomen not helping them, even though CDC has helped them look for jobs.
    There are too many gomen/non-gomen handouts out there, and I think some are smart enough just to wait for these handouts. Also, those politicals used these to push their kind image when they show to the press that they are giving the handouts...

Being poor in SG or Indonesia is equaly bad.

This is the point I was trying to drive. Many just sit around n wait for help even though they are able to go n work. With 3 to 4 kids it makes their job of loafing around easier coz they will get more benefits. It is just this kind of mentality that I despise. I have seen old people who collect boxes and newspaper with more integrity than this group who are always waiting for handouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstone View Post
    Probably you need to go to the ground and see them why are they being lazy. I have seen some who do not want to work because it is too far away or salary not too high and complain to gomen not helping them, even though CDC has helped them look for jobs.
    There are too many gomen/non-gomen handouts out there, and I think some are smart enough just to wait for these handouts. Also, those politicals used these to push their kind image when they show to the press that they are giving the handouts...

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Their GST vouchers + all kind of rebates + freebies + incentives + privileges is like the wife don't need to work also can get a lot of extra money, much more than from working!
    So they all wife at home everyday don't need to work, shiok shiok can produce more loh..........

Then nevermind, after that we were told that singapore budget will go into deficit, need to raise more taxes, especially from tax on wealth!

"Tax on wealth"??? Really???
    Ok ok, if you really want "tax on wealth", please roll back the "Estate Duty Tax" because that is the great-great-great-grandmother of all "Tax on Wealth" before they need to scratch their head to think of new one!!!

This is the point I was trying to drive. Many just sit around n wait for help even though they are able to go n work. With 3 to 4 kids it makes their job of loafing around easier coz they will get more benefits. It is just this kind of mentality that I despise. I have seen old people who collect boxes and newspaper with more integrity than this group who are always waiting for handouts.

Proverty problems in poorer nation may be due to the level of literacy and education. They are just the same when Singapore was independent and started to fight for survival.

Education in singapore now is considered to be very good if not world class. How many degree graduates we have back then when we were still young boys and young girls. Not many. And majority still lived in rural kampong in the undeveloped Singapore before HDB was setup.

Singapore without any resource can be now a nation envy by many other nations. We should be proud of it and we can say whatever things that we are proud of but it does not come naturally because it is our pioneers's hardwork and perseverence.

What if we are educated, dream to inspire but we live in developing countries?
    They must have their views as well.

Should bless the rich and help the poor to be better educated.