Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shelford Suites (D11, Freehold, CDL)

paperplate Guest

I think everyone got sidetracked...i started the topic by mentioning shelford suites may not worth to buy at 1.5-1.6k psf...

My family owns a unit at the sterling and the shelford last time and they sold both of them mid last yr...

To me, I dont really care much about district zoning. What I care is the accessibility, closeness to amenities and most imptly rental yield.
    Based on my experience, most tenants will not pay extra buck for an apt at shelford area jus becoz its property vaue is more den sterling, maplewoods etc.

If you really love shelford area, pls go ahead to purchase shelford suites for self stay..if it is for investment, think twice and try to go for bigger units or penthouse if u have the capital.

By the way, if u were to compare Jardin vs shelford suites...i will go for the latter.

However, I could be wrong at my analysis...so feel free to comment if u feels shelford suites is a good buy at 1.6k psf and kindly state ur supporting reasons.
    Last edited by paperplate; 02-06-08 at 00:25.

paperplate Guest

[quote=Passing by]
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplate
    However, don't u think Shelford area is too close to Nexus, sterling etc which is under D21? QUOTE]

Can tell that you do not know Bt Timah very well....Try jog to and fro bet. Shelford and Nexus frequently, can soon get 400 from IPPT
    It is very subjective as in how close and far...I just feel that most ppl buy into bukit timah and shelford area becoz it is near to gd schools...And I seriously do not think they will top up a premium for shelford apts just becoz shelford is in D11.

Anyway love is blind. Shelford area has it's own uniqueness and charm..
    Alot of things cannot be measured by monetary value. So, if u love it, i strongly recommend u to buy it and stay there happily.

For eg. I bot a plc at Jalan Loyang Besar for self stay which I know that plc cannot fetch high rental yield and have limited capital appreciation. However, I still buy becoz it is the plc and kind of lifestyle i pursue.

For those who loves the charm of jalan loyang besar area, feel free to visit my thread 'JLB residences-999leasehold'

Unregistered..... Guest

What will happen to those people who bought duchess residences at upto 2200 psf if shelford is only selling @ 1600psf?

Unregistered2 Guest

I was actually looking to buying a unit there sometime beginning of this year so that my girl could enter RGPS but there was no launch though there were rumours of it ...

paperplate Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered.....
    What will happen to those people who bought duchess residences at upto 2200 psf if shelford is only selling @ 1600psf?
    Similar cases like those who bought Rochester, Riverine by the Park, One shenton etc...

paperplate Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered2
    I was actually looking to buying a unit there sometime beginning of this year so that my girl could enter RGPS but there was no launch though there were rumours of it ...
    Maybe you should try to hunt for a unit at 'The shelford' instead? It may be a better buy at around 1.3k psf. I think The Shelford has a better location and larger landscaping and facilities. The security over there is quite tight too. However, they do not have balconies which is the 'In' thing now.

value for money Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paperplate
    Maybe you should try to hunt for a unit at 'The shelford' instead? It may be a better buy at around 1.3k psf. I think The Shelford has a better location and larger landscaping and facilities. The security over there is quite tight too. However, they do not have balconies which is the 'In' thing now.
    19 shelford is on hill-top and even cheaper; good view as only 3th storey can have city view already, but only have badminton court instead of tennis court....

Unregistered2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by value for money
    19 shelford is on hill-top and even cheaper; good view as only 3th storey can have city view already, but only have badminton court instead of tennis court....
    unfortunately a bit too late now ... anyway i have already purchased another unit at Tanjong Rhu so my hands are tied ...what is the rental like for a 1-2 bedroom around that area?

Check Guest

unfortunately a bit too late now ... anyway i have already purchased another unit at Tanjong Rhu so my hands are tied ...what is the rental like for a 1-2 bedroom around that area?
    about 3k for a 1+1 unit, and 3.5-4k for a 2+1unit...

Hype Hype Guest

Untie your hands. Dump now before your hands and legs tied forever. Lol mine tied too since I bought 3 units. Dumping 2 now.

Unregistered2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hype Hype
    Untie your hands. Dump now before your hands and legs tied forever. Lol mine tied too since I bought 3 units. Dumping 2 now.
    haha ... don't worry i bought my units at a very cheap price (one less than $600 psf and the other less than <$800) ... and i can sustain them for a long time ... haha .. just waiting for the price to peak which i believe will eventually happen when all the development (IR, Garden By the Bay, Kallang Reservoir, New Stadium, River Taxi, MRT) around the area is completed. There is a lot going around the area ... so if can hold, should hold.

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

http://www.straitstimes.com/Money/St...ry_246963.html

June 12, 2008

Prices of some new properties coming down

Move may signal end of months-long stand-off between buyers and sellers

By Fiona Chan, Property Reporter

# Shelford Suites (above) Sold in March for: $1,869 psf - $1,905 psf
    # Current price: $1,600 psf

Dakota Residences
    # Planned price: $1,000 psf - $1,100 psf
    # Current price: $950 psf -- PHOTO: CITY DEVELOPMENTS

GOOD news for homebuyers: The prices of some new developments are finally starting to come down.

At least two new projects have been tagged with prices below what they were expected to fetch just months ago.

This may be because developers are faced with no sign of improvement in the cooling property market, consultants say. They may be choosing to move units by making their projects more affordable rather than continuing to wait out the gloomy sentiment.

One example is Dakota Residences in Dakota Crescent, a 99-year leasehold project by Ho Bee Investment and NTUC Choice Homes.

Sales of its 348 units will start next Saturday at an average of about $950 per sq ft (psf) - below the $1,000 psf to $1,100 psf that Ho Bee had previously targeted.

This means a 1,300 sq ft three-bedroom unit would cost about $1.24 million, down from as much as $1.43 million previously.

'After the land cost and building cost, the break-even price is actually almost $900 psf,' said a property agent, who asked not to be named.

The Straits Times understands that about 120 units will be released in the first phase, and prices may go up by at least 5 per cent for the remaining units, depending on demand.

For now, the two- and three-bedroom units that face away from Geylang River are said to cost $950 psf to $970 psf, while the bigger four-bedroom units facing the river will go for $1,000 psf.

City Developments' (CDL) Shelford Suites in Shelford Road has also started previews for its 77 units at about $1,600 psf on average.

Market watchers said this was lower than expected, as two units were sold in March for $1,869 psf and $1,905 psf.

Shelford Suites' launch had been delayed for months as CDL waited for sentiment to improve.

Property consultants say the act of lowering prices may be the beginning of the end of a months-long stand-off between homebuyers and home sellers that has led to a slump in transactions.

Would-be buyers have proved strongly resistant to current property prices, which have jumped 36 per cent in the last five quarters, while sellers have refused to reduce their prices until now.

But while lowering prices may jump-start the market, a one-off reduction may not be enough to sustain sales, said Mr Colin Tan, the head of research and consultancy at Chesterton International.

'Developers will have to continue to reduce prices if they want to maintain sales, as many projects are still out of the reach of owner-occupiers,' he said.

Meanwhile, developers are gearing up to launch more mid-tier projects for an increasingly price-sensitive market.

East Bay, a 40-unit condominium at Tay Lian Teck Road off Upper East Coast Road, will be on sale in the coming weeks. Prices average $1,100 psf, starting at about $600,000.

Also in the east, Ivory at Ceylon Road has sold about five of its 28 units. Prices start at $558,000 for a 640 sq ft two-bedroom apartment, averaging $800 psf.

At 353 Pasir Panjang Road, a 19-unit boutique project will be completed soon, though sales have just started. A handful of units have been sold so far, with one-bedroom apartments going for $550,000, and three-bedroom units priced at $1.4 million to $1.5 million.

[email protected]

ONE-TIME PRICE CUT NOT ENOUGH

'Developers will have to continue to reduce prices if they want to maintain sales, as many projects are still out of the reach of owner-occupiers.'

MR COLIN TAN, head of research and consultancy at Chesterton International, who thinks one-off price reductions may not be enough to sustain sales

Unregistered Guy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered.....
    Actually, the 2 developments are not directly comparable. Different location, different unit sizes and different absolute land area (Duchess' land size is twice as big as Shelford Suites but just 50% more units). Furthermore, if you check the caveats, not too many people paid 2000 to 2200psf for a unit at Duchess.

Showroom Visitor Guest

I visited the Shelford Suites showroom recently, would like to share some facts (hopefully without bias):

Pros:

Shelford Suites will block some of the view of units at Shelford 19, thus, explaining the much lower price of that development, in addition to its age.

Most of the units are 3 bedrooms and almost all of them will have panaromic views of the city (for 3rd floor onwards, majority of which are east facing). these views are likely to be around for a long time as it is situated on a hill while everything else that it faces is on lower ground.

The 3 bedroom units are 1270 sq ft, thus, affordable at around $2m for a 3 bedroom unit.

There is a small walkway down to Dunearn Road and to Botanical Gardens MRT/Serene Centre/Coronation Plaza/Adam Food Centre so it is convenient to walk to the amenities.

Neutral:

I was quoted 1600psf which I think is neither cheap nor expensive, pretty fair. The price should be at a slight discount to Duchess Residences (median price of 1800+) as the sentiment was much stronger then and the Duchess area is truly a more exclusive area (as earlier posts have discussed about the branded cars and the no need for mrt).

Compared to the D21 prices for Cascadia, Floridian and Jardin which are being sold at equal if not higher prices, this developement can probably be considered cheaper.

Cons:

For those who drive, it is indeed a little troublesome to be on the "wrong" side of Bukit Timah Road as we really need to do a U-turn quite far down when returning home from the city.

At 1270 sq ft and balconies in living and all bedrooms, the remaining space is a tad small with one of the bedrooms smaller than the other.

There are 2 other negatives but both correctable with air-con:

The trade off of having panaromic views is that beyond the pool, its some churches followed by busy Adam Road and that is a source of some noise.

The east-west facing means that 2 of the bedrooms faces the hot west sun.

Nonetheless, these are just small negatives which probably does not apply to prime areas where view and air-con overwhelms. The development is also rare for the Shelford area as the 2 other developments are really very small developments.

Unregistered999 Guest

R u a window showflat shopper?

Or same as others waiting for prices to dip further or hunting for fire sales now?

For those who oredi vested are hoping prices to rebound.
    For those who miss the boat are hoping for prices to dip more.
    For those who dun have $ to buy are hoping prices to crash!

Potential Buyer Guest

Default Baywindow

Quote Originally Posted by Showroom Visitor
    I visited the Shelford Suites showroom recently, would like to share some facts (hopefully without bias):

Pros:

Shelford Suites will block some of the view of units at Shelford 19, thus, explaining the much lower price of that development, in addition to its age.

Most of the units are 3 bedrooms and almost all of them will have panaromic views of the city (for 3rd floor onwards, majority of which are east facing). these views are likely to be around for a long time as it is situated on a hill while everything else that it faces is on lower ground.

The 3 bedroom units are 1270 sq ft, thus, affordable at around $2m for a 3 bedroom unit.

There is a small walkway down to Dunearn Road and to Botanical Gardens MRT/Serene Centre/Coronation Plaza/Adam Food Centre so it is convenient to walk to the amenities.

Neutral:

I was quoted 1600psf which I think is neither cheap nor expensive, pretty fair. The price should be at a slight discount to Duchess Residences (median price of 1800+) as the sentiment was much stronger then and the Duchess area is truly a more exclusive area (as earlier posts have discussed about the branded cars and the no need for mrt).

Compared to the D21 prices for Cascadia, Floridian and Jardin which are being sold at equal if not higher prices, this developement can probably be considered cheaper.

Cons:

For those who drive, it is indeed a little troublesome to be on the "wrong" side of Bukit Timah Road as we really need to do a U-turn quite far down when returning home from the city.

At 1270 sq ft and balconies in living and all bedrooms, the remaining space is a tad small with one of the bedrooms smaller than the other.

There are 2 other negatives but both correctable with air-con:

The trade off of having panaromic views is that beyond the pool, its some churches followed by busy Adam Road and that is a source of some noise.

The east-west facing means that 2 of the bedrooms faces the hot west sun.

Nonetheless, these are just small negatives which probably does not apply to prime areas where view and air-con overwhelms. The development is also rare for the Shelford area as the 2 other developments are really very small developments.
    Does this development have Baywindows? If there are build in area should be discounted by at least 10 pct. How about planters? Do they have these as well? Also who is the developer? Freehold?

Guards Guest

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Potential Buyer
    Does this development have Baywindows? If there are build in area should be discounted by at least 10 pct. How about planters? Do they have these as well? Also who is the developer? Freehold?
    just go and visit the showflat and find out......

Quote Originally Posted by Potential Buyer
    The 3 bedrooms have no bay windows because all 3 bedrooms have balconies in addition to bigger one in the living room. There are only 6 2 bedrooms which have bay windows but these bay windows either face a wall or the development next door (still in the planning stage).

I am a "missed the boat" so turned window shopper. Looking for fire sales but on enquiries found that there are very few fire sales for desirable units in the secondary market. So currently just waiting unless a good fire sales deal comes along.

In case anyone is confused by my reply above, showroom visitor is officially registered as bargain hunter.

Meesiam08 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    The 3 bedrooms have no bay windows because all 3 bedrooms have balconies in addition to bigger one in the living room. There are only 6 2 bedrooms which have bay windows but these bay windows either face a wall or the development next door (still in the planning stage).

I am a "missed the boat" so turned window shopper. Looking for fire sales but on enquiries found that there are very few fire sales for desirable units in the secondary market. So currently just waiting unless a good fire sales deal comes along.
    I don't think there is any fire sales for you. Market is heading northward now, bro.

IMF has just adjusted up economy growth in 2008 for China from 9.4% to 9.8%. US has confirmed to escape from recession. These lethal combination are going to boost our economy performance this year and next.

Some top ppty executives hv bought big and accumulated their company stocks in the last few days. All signs are pointing to a strong market rebound in the coming weeks.

Get ready for good news and make wise decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Meesiam08
    I don't think there is any fire sales for you. Market is heading northward now, bro.

IMF has just adjusted up economy growth in 2008 for China from 9.4% to 9.8%. US has confirmed to escape from recession. These lethal combination are going to boost our economy performance this year and next.

Some top ppty executives hv bought big and accumulated their company stocks in the last few days. All signs are pointing to a strong market rebound in the coming weeks.

That's fine. There are still bargains in the stock market, make money there then come back and buy property.

Meesiam08 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    That's fine. There are still bargains in the stock market, make money there then come back and buy property.
    I think you hv made a big mistake here. There are no such thing as bargain in stock market due to its high volatility.

While, the benefit of investing in ppty is clear. Lower in volatility and higher in stability as income producing assets.

Think about it, bro. It's always good to invest wisely.

Run Run Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meesiam08

Buyers forfeit deposits to exit deals
    Developers left facing unsold inventory as tighter loans and falling markets hit sentiment

Yvonne Liu
    Jun 18, 2008 , SCMP

Growing numbers of would-be home buyers in Beijing and Shenzhen are choosing to forfeit their deposits and withdraw from offers to buy homes as the uncertain outlook for the mainland property market erodes confidence.
    Home buyers in Beijing have the right not to proceed with purchases and return properties to developers during a "cooling-off" period of seven days, but any deposits that typically range from 20,000 yuan (HK$22,668) to 30,000 yuan will be lost.

In Shanghai, where agents said buyers had also begun cancelling deals since last month, the cooling-off period is two days and if buyers withdraw from their contracts within this period their deposits are returned.

While the system gives buyers a second chance to reconsider their investments, it may become a nightmare for developers.

According to data compiled by the Beijing local government and quoted in the Beijing Morning Post, 0.72 per cent to 3.92 per cent of buyers of four large residential projects in Beijing did not proceed with their purchases since early this year.

The situation has since worsened, said Li Wenjie, the general manager of Centaline (China) in the city. "Investors have lost money on the stock market and now they worry that property prices will drop further because of the falls on the stock market," he said.

Ten new residential projects in Beijing received sale consents in April and last month and data shows that 2.8 per cent to 8.72 per cent of the buyers did not proceed with their purchases and returned the properties to the developers, Mr Li said.

"However, it would be unusual to see the percentage increase by much more than this, or, say, to more than 5 per cent [on average]," he added.

Many of the buyers now withdrawing from proposed deals were middle-income investors who had suffered the most as a result of the declines in share prices. Most had bought properties around the Fifth Ring Road for 10,000 yuan per square metre, he added.

In Shanghai, Jessica Jiang, a deputy manager at Century 21, said the situation was not as bad as Beijing as property prices did not rise sharply last year. "Property prices remained stable after the cooling measures in October last year. And the price war in the primary market is not as serious as Beijing or Shenzhen," she said.

However, in Shenzhen and Guangzhou property prices retreated sharply after the cooling measures. According to a research report by DTZ, property prices in Shenzhen and Guangzhou dropped 7.3 per cent and 3.3 per cent respectively in the first quarter. But prices in Beijing and Shanghai rose 2.7 per cent and 1.8 per cent respectively.

Andy Lee, the general manager for Centaline (China) in Shenzhen, said that the city did not offer cooling-off periods for buyers. About 5 per cent of those who bought properties in the peak seasons of last year were in default for units recently, he said.

He estimated more than 50 per cent of the buyers during the February, March, June and July peak seasons were investors.

New home prices in Shenzhen have dropped 25 per cent to 30 per cent since October last year. A project in Nanshan district in Shenzhen even cut prices by more than 40 per cent to about 12,000 yuan per square metre since the fourth quarter of last year.

Mr Lee said many investors expected the consolidation in the property market would continue.

"They expect the price war in the primary market will continue as tighter conditions on property loans and weak buying sentiment force developers to adopt aggressive price discounting to lure buyers," he said. "Now they are trying to stop their losses."

In Guangzhou, Centaline (China) general manager Ellis Wong Hin-ming said a similar situation had arisen where more than 30 per cent of buyers at Evergrande Royal Scenic Peninsula developed by Evergrande Real Estate Group (SEHK: 3333) had returned the units to developers.

However, the situation was better than in Shenzhen as the growth in Guangzhou property prices last year was lower than in Shenzhen, Mr Wong said.
    Haha do you live on Mars? Market is headed down down...rather is tumbling in several places. Check out Shenzen which climbed last year. Already down 30% in 6 months. Forget everything and take the bitter pill brother.

runrun is trying to talk down the market again. he/she has posted this article on almost every thread. aren't u tired? shenzhen market has several different dynamics (earlier ppty bull run, more abundant land etc)so i don't think its comparable. i hate disruptive noise in this market, it only widens the stalemate and does not cause market to fall.

Unregistered999 Guest

Shenzhen down, doesnt mean the whole world must follow..If only life is so simple....

Unregistered999 Guest

....but a 40% drop is simple too based on market outlook.

Unregˇstered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Run Run
    Haha do you live on Mars? Market is headed down down...rather is tumbling in several places. Check out Shenzen which climbed last year. Already down 30% in 6 months. Forget everything and take the bitter pill brother.
    Haha you are living on Mars. URA price index is showing up. Yet you are saying down. Anyway, anybody can also talk cock. It's free!

Kwek Leng Beng says.. Guest

Default ....."don't panic!"

If Mr Kwek is still so bullish about the health of the property market, why then does Thakral Land(a wholly owned unit of Hong Leong Asia/Mr Kwek Leng Beng) want to dispose of the all the balance 17 units of The Sovereign it owns?

Thakral Land has been keeping the 17 units of The Sovereign since TOP more than a decade ago. So why sell now?

There is redevelopment potential as the site’s current Masterplan plot ratio - ratio of maximum potential gross floor area to land area - is 2.8, which is higher than the 1.8 plot ratio tapped by the existing property. So why should Mr Kwek sell now?

Is Mr Kwek saying one thing and doing the contrary?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwek Leng Beng says..
    If Mr Kwek is still so bullish about the health of the property market, why then does Thakral Land(a wholly owned unit of Hong Leong Asia/Mr Kwek Leng Beng) want to dispose of the all the balance 17 units of The Sovereign it owns?

Thakral Land has been keeping the 17 units of The Sovereign since TOP more than a decade ago. So why sell now?

There is redevelopment potential as the site’s current Masterplan plot ratio - ratio of maximum potential gross floor area to land area - is 2.8, which is higher than the 1.8 plot ratio tapped by the existing property. So why should Mr Kwek sell now?

Is Mr Kwek saying one thing and doing the contrary?
    I think you are mistaken with regards to Thakral Land. Thakral Land is a wholly owned unit of SGX listed Thakral Holdings. On 3 June 2008, Thakral announced that its Chief Operating Officer, Mr. Sherman Kwek Eik Tse has resigned "to pursue other business interest". Mr. Sherman Kwek is the son of Mr. Kwek Leng Beng. Even though Hong Leong Asia is a substantial shareholder in Thakral, it is insignificant in the context of the entire assets of Hong Leong Asia and when you compare this stake with Mr. Kwek's total stake in the entire privately owned Hong Leong, listed CDL and its hotel group M&C, it is even more insignificant and almost totally immaterial. It is clear that Mr. Kwek has lost interest in Thakral and is deploying his son to a more significant position within his Hong Leong stable of companies.

Thakral has net cash holdings of slightly above $100m. It is probably in the daily course of business that the 17 units of The Sovereign is on the market as the group seeks to reposition itself with a Pan Asian real estate focus. $100m is probably insufficient capital in the regional context if it wants to make an impact for a few projects as a foreign investor.

While, I would not say whether Mr. Kwek's comments are right or wrong, I think we should just take things easy, let prices cool over the next 1 year or so and just buy when you are more comfortable, there is no need to try to anticipate and be either short term bullish or bearish on the property market.

Am I wrong? Guest

Default Straits Times report said Thakral is a unit of HL Asia

Dear Bargain Hunter,
    I got my facts from Straits Times story published on 4 Jun 2008. It is clearly stated that '...Thakral is a unit of listed Hong Leong Asia, itself a company in the Hong Leong stable.' See below. Is ST wrong then?

Source : Straits Times - 4 Jun 2008

"THE son of property tycoon and City Developments executive chairman Kwek Leng Beng has quit as chief operating officer of Thakral Corporation.

Mr Sherman Kwek, 32, who was appointed in June 2006, ran the day-to-day operations of the property firm and set its strategic direction.

It was announced yesterday that he would be resigning ‘to pursue other business interests’. His last day will be on Sept 1.

Thakral is a unit of listed Hong Leong Asia, itself a company in the Hong Leong stable. Hong Leong Asia triggered a mandatory general offer for Thakral after it converted its bonds into shares.

Mr Kwek’s departure raised speculation that he could be taking a more high-profile role at some of the larger Hong Leong companies, such as City Developments, Singapore’s No. 2 property developer.

It is also possible, however, that he is planning to spend more time on the business of listed HL Global Enterprises, the former LKN-Primefield, where he is already a director.

HL Global operates hotels and also has property interests in Singapore, Malaysia and China. Its market capitalisation is about $150 million.

Mr Kwek could be tasked with growing this company to be a key part of the Hong Leong Group."