Thread: PROVISION OF SHUTTLE SERVICE BY CONDO

Default PROVISION OF SHUTTLE SERVICE BY CONDO

The role of Management Corporations (MC) of Condos / apartments under the Building Maintenance & Strata Management Act is to manage the common property of the development with the contributions collected from the Subsidiary proprietors. Am trying to find out whether provision of Shuttle service for the benefit of the Subsidiary proprietors, their families and tenants be considered as part of the role of the MC and can this service be tabled in AGM for decision and paid for from the Maintenance funds?

Quote Originally Posted by RSG View Post
    The role of Management Corporations (MC) of Condos / apartments under the Building Maintenance & Strata Management Act is to manage the common property of the development with the contributions collected from the Subsidiary proprietors. Am trying to find out whether provision of Shuttle service for the benefit of the Subsidiary proprietors, their families and tenants be considered as part of the role of the MC and can this service be tabled in AGM for decision and paid for from the Maintenance funds?
    hmm of course can what

I don't see why not
    some new launches like those in Sengkang West have 1 year of shuttle service after TOP. renewal based on vote. Sorry, i don't know details for frequency size etc

Most big development condo project have it and its paid for by maintenance fund. However this can only happen if majority owners vote for it. Best if you could get someone to find out the cost for running shuttle service before the meeting as this will all boil down to cost and usage.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Thanks for the responses. I am neutral to the provision of Shuttle service by condos for their residents. My curiosity was because of the Building Management.....Act which stipulates the role of the Managment corporation and use of the maintenance funds. There is no provision in the Act for use of the funds for services such as shuttle service. When developer provides the service, it is from their own funds and not from the Maintenance funds collected from the residents.

Thanks for the responses. I am neutral to the provision of Shuttle service by condos for their residents. My curiosity was because of the Building Management.....Act which stipulates the role of the Managment corporation and use of the maintenance funds. There is no provision in the Act for use of the funds for services such as shuttle service. When developer provides the service, it is from their own funds and not from the Maintenance funds collected from the residents.
    Usually developer will throw in the service for free in the 1st years after than MC will be form and they will then decided if they wishes to continue.

Like in any condo, they will be diverse views on such service.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

They can do it. Every condo differs. So your condo might have a rule that says management of the bus services. The BCA only stipulates what are the basic rules and laws. Your condo can have rules as well. Let's say if majority of the residents say $500 for one use of BBQ pit, then you have to pay.

Anyway, if you are against it, just vote against it. Make sure this topic is tabled during the AGM. I am sure those who drive will vote against this because it is just wasting money. But for those people who don't drive and use the bus, then they will vote for it. Depends on the votes.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    They can do it. Every condo differs. So your condo might have a rule that says management of the bus services. The BCA only stipulates what are the basic rules and laws. Your condo can have rules as well. Let's say if majority of the residents say $500 for one use of BBQ pit, then you have to pay.

Anyway, if you are against it, just vote against it. Make sure this topic is tabled during the AGM. I am sure those who drive will vote against this because it is just wasting money. But for those people who don't drive and use the bus, then they will vote for it. Depends on the votes.
    I can understand when it comes to use of common facilities like BBQ pit. But shuttle bus service is not part of the common facilities of the condo.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Shuttle service is a means for developer's to lure buyers to their condos!
    When a condo needs shuttle service, it also means it is in a lousy, inconvenient, and inaccessible location without even convenient public bus access!
    Residents of condos should not rely on condo shuttle service as it may not be there sooner or later!

At the end of the day, the intent must be for the safety, convenient and peaceful living for the residents within a reasonable cost.

Rules and regulation are created exactly for that, but very often we human being got ourself entangle into all these rules and end up fighting each other over words or hiding behind the rules for own agenda.
    What ia a good house?
    It is a good house as long as you love it

Quote Originally Posted by Good house View Post
    At the end of the day, the intent must be for the safety, convenient and peaceful living for the residents within a reasonable cost.

Rules and regulation are created exactly for that, but very often we human being got ourself entangle into all these rules and end up fighting each other over words or hiding behind the rules for own agenda.
    Dont get me wrong. I am not finding excuses to argue against Shuttle service. Managing a condo within reasonable cost is becoming a great challenge now. Cost of cleaners and security which are the essential services in a condo are on the increase. Providing shuttle service adds to the cost. If Shuttle service is a MUST HAVE, I am for it. Here again one has to be sure that the Management corporation is acting within the Act and Regulations (BMSMA). Whether we like it or not, the MC has to be guided and comply with the Act.

noted, thanks for clarifying
    What ia a good house?

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Wink

Just vote against it if tabled in the AGM can already. Just lobby for more voters against it. Those who want shutter service should pay for it themselves right? No reason to expect other residents who don't need the shutter service to co-pay for them! ...................

Dont get me wrong. I am not finding excuses to argue against Shuttle service. Managing a condo within reasonable cost is becoming a great challenge now. Cost of cleaners and security which are the essential services in a condo are on the increase. Providing shuttle service adds to the cost. If Shuttle service is a MUST HAVE, I am for it. Here again one has to be sure that the Management corporation is acting within the Act and Regulations (BMSMA). Whether we like it or not, the MC has to be guided and comply with the Act.

Must also consider not everyone in the resident's family drive.
    But really the situation is different for each development.
    What ia a good house?

Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule on this. Individual condo has the rights to run the condo in its own manner - if they have the blessing of the owners. If 51% voted for the bus, then the bus stays.

I can understand when it comes to use of common facilities like BBQ pit. But shuttle bus service is not part of the common facilities of the condo.

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no hard and fast rule on this. Individual condo has the rights to run the condo in its own manner - if they have the blessing of the owners. If 51% voted for the bus, then the bus stays.
    Let me rephrase my point for better clarity. Isnt there a differentiation between what issues the majority owners can decide and make it mandatory for all owners to comply and what they cannot decide. My understanding is that owners are acting under the powers vested by the BMSMAct. The intent of the Act is for management of the condo facilities. Any issues outside the act should not be binding on all owners. Those who wish for the shuttle service for instance should form a pool and pay for it. Of course those who dont pay should be barred from using the service. Note: I am neutral on this issue but just want to be sure that the MC has the mandate as per the BMSMA to decide on such matters as shuttle service. Thank you.

condominium is a community. If the community, by majority vote, decides a service is necessary, the community as a whole must bear the cost of this service. It is not an elective.

It is no difference from a, say, concierge service. some condos have this service.

Or to provide a vending machine in the condo. Or to operate a restaurant.

This has nothing to do with the law. A community can decide anything it wants to do as long as it is not illegal.

It's the same you cannot say you dun pay for gym equipment maintenance/replacement cost since you dun use them.

and, the MC has the mandate from the community, not any other authority.

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    condominium is a community. If the community, by majority vote, decides a service is necessary, the community as a whole must bear the cost of this service. It is not an elective.

It is no difference from a, say, concierge service. some condos have this service.

Or to provide a vending machine in the condo. Or to operate a restaurant.

This has nothing to do with the law. A community can decide anything it wants to do as long as it is not illegal.

It's the same you cannot say you dun pay for gym equipment maintenance/replacement cost since you dun use them.

and, the MC has the mandate from the community, not any other authority.

Thanks. Just for arguments sake, lets say if the owners of a Condo decide that they should support a charity and decide that all owners must contibute to the charity. Is this enforceable?

"charity" is not a service for the community.
    "anything" I meant anything that serves the community.

Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    "charity" is not a service for the community.
    "anything" I meant anything that serves the community.
    Ok, in that case what if the Condo wants to lease an external facility for example a tennis court or a covered badminton court for the use of the community. Assuming the condo does not have such facilities.