Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iskandar losing shine due to rising costs, labour issues

Blue blood

User Info Menu

Default Iskandar losing shine due to rising costs, labour issues

THE Iskandar region has long been touted as a cheaper destination for Singapore companies grappling with escalating costs at home, but the shine seems to be fading.
    Industrialists cite the rising cost of real estate and labour, a lack of skilled workers and low labour productivity as among the reasons holding them back from shifting to the sprawling development across the Causeway.

"I've heard that it's difficult to hire skilled labour... Also, most of our customers are in Singapore and we would have to deal with Customs fees and longer lead times if we were there," said Mr Johnny Mok, assistant general manager of electronic component assembly firm Add-Plus.

Mr Mok visited Iskandar, which at 2,217 sq km is three times the size of Singapore, to scope out opportunities. But he eventually decided the company should stay put in Singapore.
    - See more at: http://www.stasiareport.com/the-big-....oR3Zim7B.dpuf

Junior

User Info Menu

Haven't even come online already losing shine? lol

Senior

User Info Menu

are companies allowed to bring their skilled labour there?

Senior

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kane View Post
    are companies allowed to bring their skilled labour there?
    Currently it is difficult to keep skilled workers as Singapore can offer 2.6x the salary for the same job. Over time, the labour costs should rise, but so the industries will also become more higher end in order to offer higher pay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    Amazing how one person's word is all it takes to validify a report to be published....without quoting statistical figures.

Junior

User Info Menu

Iskandar still in hype mode..... Can buy cheaper in the yrs to come when ppl realise that it will take 15 yrs more to realise the vision......

Senior

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by solsys View Post
    Iskandar still in hype mode..... Can buy cheaper in the yrs to come when ppl realise that it will take 15 yrs more to realise the vision......
    About 5-10 years. Catch it before the RTS is operating and further expansion of 1st and 2nd links. Once these choke-points are opened, there will be more consumer spending and business there, just like what MRT did to the CCR in recent years.

Property Investor

User Info Menu

If major electronic sub contractors were shifting out of penang to china many years back, it may not be a surprise it can be a repeated story at this iskandar saga. Addplus has probably made the right choice...perhaps considering mynamar or vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post

User Info Menu

Yeah Iskandar will take time to mature. A huge price jump in the last 2 years. I get worried when I see my aunties joining forces with other aunty friends to share the purchase of a new apartment. They all don't realise that once built there is little critical mass yet for rental. Ok if you buy for your own stay or weekend use, but if you expect cash flow against it, it will take some time

Senior

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnlee View Post
    Yeah Iskandar will take time to mature. A huge price jump in the last 2 years. I get worried when I see my aunties joining forces with other aunty friends to share the purchase of a new apartment. They all don't realise that once built there is little critical mass yet for rental. Ok if you buy for your own stay or weekend use, but if you expect cash flow against it, it will take some time
    They might be caught off guard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast