Thread: MRT vs LRT

Default MRT vs LRT

Some new developments are near MRT and and some near LRT whereas some are not near any if these 2. Any difference between mrt and lrt locations? Mrt locations commands a very high psf and may be congested whereas lrt are lower less congested but notvsure uf thectravelIing time us affected?? Last time lrts are considered slow and inefficient but now thats different. To some if is just a driveless mrt and it is like changing mrt lines. Hope to gather some feedback from this forum on members who stay near mrt and lrt.....and if there is really a difference between these 2

In short, MRT can go far far away from one end to the other end whereas LRT only travel within the locations, it is actually like a shuttle service. Depends on where you spend or go most of the time.

The lrt also can...just have to change to mrt like at an interchange...no need to go in and out just different platform.

This is what was observed.

When Bkt Panjang LRT was announced and built, we do not see much appreciation for property prices then.

When DTL was announced and that there will be one in Bkt Panjang to City, the prices of properties around the proposed station went up eg. former Ten Mile Jn and PCs around the proposed station.

Other factors to consider: the LRT announcement was around '97 AFC period, the DTL was announced during post SARS boom time.

Quote Originally Posted by f1ferrari View Post
    Some new developments are near MRT and and some near LRT whereas some are not near any if these 2. Any difference between mrt and lrt locations? Mrt locations commands a very high psf and may be congested whereas lrt are lower less congested but notvsure uf thectravelIing time us affected?? Last time lrts are considered slow and inefficient but now thats different. To some if is just a driveless mrt and it is like changing mrt lines. Hope to gather some feedback from this forum on members who stay near mrt and lrt.....and if there is really a difference between these 2

The lrt also can...just have to change to mrt like at an interchange...no need to go in and out just different platform.
    LRT is good to replace the shorter bus service because it js fast and comfortable but it can never replace the MRT to certain extent if you want to go from West to East or vice versa, you still need the MRT to fetch you there.

Lrt will never be as good as mrt. However to me, it is definitely better than the bus service. Property wise, does it help with the valuation? New and resale condo around mrt is always pricy...also the area is already done up and sometimes too congested. Lets say if a condo is 5 min to lrt. Then lrt to mrt is 5 min. Would u rather stay here or a condo which is 10 min walk to mrt. In a way both gets u to the amenities around the mrt station within 10 mins but u get a bit cheaper price and less congested? I have never stayed near lrt so asking if anyone has this experience. Currently I am 7 min walk to a mrt but the area is way too congested. Considering to invest in a condo which is 4min near lrt then another 6 min to mrt. But any investment potential for these type of condo?.. This

Currently LRT only exist in 3 towns in Singapore, going forward more new towns (maybe bidadari, tamp north) may have LRT to integrate our transport system for more seamless travelling.

LRT is better than bus; more predictable, faster. Especially if LRT has direct link to shopping malls; Seletar Mall, Ten-Mile junction. This will likely be positive for property value

own preference, some prefer near mrt and convenient, some prefer less crowded and peaceful place…for me if i stay in a condo, i'll stay away the congested area, even i have to walk or take public transport but I'm sure you have your own car, why i need to see so many people when I already see them during weekdays

I find very hard to pay so much and yet just stay in condo situated in a crowded estate and have only the pool view or street view.. Condo not near the mrt usually have a better surrounding view and still have a basic shops. But the flipside is that u have to own a car.

Lets say if a condo is 5 min to lrt. Then lrt to mrt is 5 min. Would u rather stay here or a condo which is 10 min walk to mrt. In a way both gets u to the amenities around the mrt station within 10 mins but u get a bit cheaper price and less congested? I have never stayed near lrt so asking if anyone has this experience. Currently I am 7 min walk to a mrt but the area is way too congested. Considering to invest in a condo which is 4min near lrt then another 6 min to mrt. But any investment potential for these type of condo?.. This
    For me, I won't mind. 5 mins to LRT and 5 mins to MRT is considered good already, I don't know how others think. I would not pay so much to stay near to somewhere so congested just because of the convenient of MRT. But one thing you must aware that though both also 10 mins to get to MRT but there might have slight difference in timing due to the waiting time. To LRT, then to MRT, need to wait 2 times unless the trains always come the moment you step into the station but anyway, waiting time for LRT is not very long also.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    For me, I won't mind. 5 mins to LRT and 5 mins to MRT is considered good already, I don't know how others think. I would not pay so much to stay near to somewhere so congested just because of the convenient of MRT. But one thing you must aware that though both also 10 mins to get to MRT but there might have slight difference in timing due to the waiting time. To LRT, then to MRT, need to wait 2 times unless the trains always come the moment you step into the station but anyway, waiting time for LRT is not very long also.
    ...get a condo with suttle service also not bad, was looking at my firend's Tree House shuttle bus schedule, interval 40 mins, bus loops slowly 20 mins to CCK MRT and 20 mins back, normal driving is around 10mins ave. You can use the 40 mins interval for a quick meal and back home in 1 hr plus from leaving home....or you linger for 1 hr 20 mins or even 2 hrs....no need to muscle your way up feeder buses or LRT....drop you at yourn doorstep some more....you get nice green environment with less crowds in your vicinity.