Thread: Utilizing balcony n ac ledges

Default Utilizing balcony n ac ledges

Any ideas how home Owners can ultise or maximise these 'dead' spaces?

Balcony aside for potted plants, smoking corner, throw a few outdoor furniture what else can we do?

Put bicycles? Dry clothes?

If it's sunny it's not too bad.. But if it's raining heavily all things wet liao.

Ac ledges are so big.. Can we put things there? Have seen people put pails for ledges in hdb before.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post

Balcony aside for potted plants, smoking corner, throw a few outdoor furniture what else can we do?

If it's sunny it's not too bad.. But if it's raining heavily all things wet liao.

Ac ledges are so big.. Can we put things there? Have seen people put pails for ledges in hdb before.
    I think Singaporeans should rein in their kiasuness....putting bicycles on the air con ledge ??? At the risk of it becoming killer litter and killing some innocent person ??? Please exercise some good sense !

I think no point putting anything because the stuffs will get dirty the very next moment.

Put your luggages in aircon ledge, you only need them when you travel. I saw some condos in geylang do this

But must plastic wrap them else will get rusty.

if aircon ledge very big, can try put a hammock there.. in case ur mil visit...
    Ong lai ah!

Quote Originally Posted by yesnomaybe View Post
    I think Singaporeans should rein in their kiasuness....putting bicycles on the air con ledge ??? At the risk of it becoming killer litter and killing some innocent person ??? Please exercise some good sense !
    Aiyo no lar.. Bicycle in the balcony la.

In case people misunderstood..

Re-edit:

For balcony

Balcony aside for potted plants, smoking corner, throw a few outdoor furniture Put bicycles? Dry clothes? what else can we do?

I think if the balcony can be used in the ways that the starter has listed, it is efficient enough.
    The key thing is that the balcony is not enclosed, is there any way to prevent ones' clothes from being blown away by strong wind and how to shelter the sudden and heavy rain in the mid night.

As to air con-ledge, I just notice some old HDB dwellers are using it as service yard to dry clothes. that's a practical way. One key thing is how to easily access it.

Quote Originally Posted by lionhill View Post
    I think if the balcony can be used in the ways that the starter has listed, it is efficient enough.
    The key thing is that the balcony is not enclosed, is there any way to prevent ones' clothes from being blown away by strong wind and how to shelter the sudden and heavy rain in the mid night.

As to air con-ledge, I just notice some old HDB dwellers are using it as service yard to dry clothes. that's a practical way. One key thing is how to easily access it.
    I don't think it's very efficient honestly Coz I can't use it for plants since I do not intend to have any.. Nor use it as smoking corner as no one smokes.. Only left with bicycles n perhaps drying of clothes but still I find it inefficient.. What else can I do with it..

If you dry clothes in the balcony, then you have to keep them before you go out and before you go to bed, in case it rains.

For air con ledge, it is a very dusty area and usually not easily accessible. I will just leave it as it is.

the problem with balcony is that most are not big enough.

a nice big one where people can go outside and chill is nice, weather permitting.

a 1200 sf and below apt should not have a balcony.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

"Should" or "should not" should be left to the developers, and not govt giving incentives of 10% FREE GFA for building "balconies" when they should not be there in the first place (because unit size too small)!
    Imagine a MM where the balconies is bigger than the bedroom?!

May be only those units >1800 sqft then can have balconies?

Quote Originally Posted by smellyfish View Post
    the problem with balcony is that most are not big enough.

a nice big one where people can go outside and chill is nice, weather permitting.

a 1200 sf and below apt should not have a balcony.

air-con ledges are dead spaces, you can't easily access and you can't do anything useful with it!

balconies are good only if your units are big enough.
    It doesn't make sense to have a balcony bigger than your bedroom when you have to act like mickey mouse in your MM-sized bedroom!

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post

I wonder why some developers build such a big balcony. My friend's brother bought a 4 bedroom condo with a VERY VERY BIG balcony. It can put 4 single beds (two by two) Is even bigger than either one of his bedrooms.

Developer got some of the balcony GFA for free from URA.
    Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    I wonder why some developers build such a big balcony. My friend's brother bought a 4 bedroom condo with a VERY VERY BIG balcony. It can put 4 single beds (two by two) Is even bigger than either one of his bedrooms.

even if no free GFA, developer will continue to build balcony since it is cheaper to build balcony. eg only build "roof" and "floor", no need to build the side walls.

by having balcony, materials used are glass and metal grills, which are much lighter than bricks, hence they can save on using smaller supporting beams and pillars.

my balcony is quite big. i intend to transform it into a kitchen cum dining area! lol
    i dun hv HS. tink i will use the limited space in my aircon ledge to put my broom, dustpan, laundry etc

nowadays yard, if any, is so small. the only place left to put washing machine and dryer is at the balcony. I'm sure developer/ architect have planned it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    even if no free GFA, developer will continue to build balcony since it is cheaper to build balcony. eg only build "roof" and "floor", no need to build the side walls.

by having balcony, materials used are glass and metal grills, which are much lighter than bricks, hence they can save on using smaller supporting beams and pillars.
    But if they use the extra space to extend the bedrooms or hall, isn't it the same because afterall the bedrooms / hall already have walls, so no extra walls or materials needed, maybe some better floor tiles needed only.

I saw some people put up a "cloth roller blind" at the balcony to block the sun, not sure whether it can withstand the rain or not?

My aircon ledge is very long, and is parallel to my balcony, is only separated by a low wall and can easily get in using a low chair or climb thru my bedroom window.. I wonder why the developer does not want to build a small door in between my balcony and aircon ledge so that I need not climb from my bedroom window to get to the aircond ledge.

Not sure, but may have to do with "GFA exemption" rule for air-con ledges (so that developers can get these space for free but make you pay for it)? If there is a door to open and go out, it could be considered a yard extension and hence no more "GFA exemption"?

Don't you see that nowaday the air-con ledge is super long all around the condo unit?

I saw some people put up a "cloth roller blind" at the balcony to block the sun, not sure whether it can withstand the rain or not?

My aircon ledge is very long, and is parallel to my balcony, is only separated by a low wall and can easily get in using a low chair or climb thru my bedroom window.. I wonder why the developer does not want to build a small door in between my balcony and aircon ledge so that I need not climb from my bedroom window to get to the aircond ledge.

some aircon ledges are not hanging outside the house. they are within the balcony....so its safe to use the space for bicycle provided U DONT NEED AIRCON??? very hot in sg leh

Can we build storage in the aircon ledge?

if u love birds u can hang a bird nest, bird bath or feeding house.

Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    Can we build storage in the aircon ledge?
    M thinking that of putting a waterproof storage box to keep in small items, what's not at the ac ledge. But is this allowed?

Don't know whether can put up a fence and grow money plant or not?