Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next to go.

Default Next to go.

She explained: “We have looked at the prices at Sengkang. I have been there personally. I have looked at the prices and they are comparable to any hawker centre in the neighbourhood – $3 for a plate of chicken rice and 90 cents for a cup of coffee. I do not think we can consider that exorbitant.”

http://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2014...unded-warning/

When the news first emerged in 2007 that the Housing and Development Board (HDB) was going to build a new market and food centre in Sengkang, residents there were elated. They had been calling for such a development for a while then.

But those hopes soon turned sour as news of the winning bid in the HDB tender exercise came to light.

The winner of the bid, out of 25 submitted, was Renaissance Properties Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of foodcourt chain, Kopitiam.

Renaissance had put in a bid of S$500,100 – doubled that of the second highest bidder, Sembawang New Market Pte Ltd, which had bid $256,788.

The bids were announced on 24 February 2009 [See here.]

The HDB subsequently awarded the tender to Renaissance. It was to be Singapore’s first food and wet market centre to be built and run by a private operator.

We don't need HDB anymore, what we need is HDB Pte Ltd. Can we tender HDB job to the Private.

The sengkang kopitiam square fish soup

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ea...p-4784917.html

Why would they put in such a high bid back then? That just bewilders me. Don't they do their market research? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Why would they put in such a high bid back then? That just bewilders me. Don't they do their market research? Hmm...
    We need HDB Pte Ltd to understand why they put in such a high bid.

It opened in December and the $12million market was billed as the first one here with a supermarket ambience: The place is equipped with an air-cleaning system that offers better ventilation, and eliminates the odours and wet floors traditionally associated with wet markets.

Now, at least 15 out of the 60 food stalls and three wet market stalls out of 48 have moved out.

Total stall = 60+48.

If all the stall rent out the same rental SGD 500,100 / 108 = 4630.55 per month

Indeed, the monthly rent for a stall there is between $2,000 and $6,000

Wow ........

Did not know nowaday can make soooooooo much profit.

Wet Market and Hawker center should not be privatized!

Who made the decision to privatized our wet market and hawker center show not be voted on the next election!

Singaporeans all should stand up on this!

Privatisation is good. Let market forces prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by august View Post
    Privatisation is good. Let market forces prevail.
    Fully and absolutely agree with you, can I know which is the nearest wet market and hawker center you often visit or maybe you don't visit them at all.

Most probably they will apply to convert that failed wet market into an attas "kopitiam finest" and charge expensive prices.

i guess people like to go back to the old rickidy dirty wet market that have tiles falling off and blacken bricks everywhere. thats the type of wet market people want. Give it to them mah!
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    Most probably they will apply to convert that failed wet market into an attas "kopitiam finest" and charge expensive prices.
    then let the finger do the walking. go NTUC buy a bag of 3in1. drink all we want. Not happy with the price dont patronize it. Dont like the hawker food? tar bao from home. That what many people do overseas anyway they bring thier own sandwich and pasta and microwave it in office.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

There are some very well run and kept hdb markets like Toa Payoh, Ang Mo Kio and Ghim Moh. Business is thriving and there are lots of good food stalls. Those are examples of their good work and I think they beat these privatised markets hands down, heh.

When we get bunch of well educated, smart asshole who never visit the wet market and eat at the hawker center to decide how to run it, this is what we will get.

Then we as an asshole MP to support them.

Why must they be vote out, in order to understand some basic rule.

“The illiterate of the twenty-first century will
    not be those who cannot read and write, but
    those who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn.”
    – Alvin Toffler

Here is some further information for those who like to dig deeper into the subject of hawker center management in Singapore.

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/corporate-fun...on-31-may-2014

From my own observation, over the last 10 odd years, the crowds that used to visit many hawker centers have thinned out (but not disappeared altogether). I for one, love visiting hawker centers because they provide the cheapest form of food with the widest variety in any neighborhood.

The following are different models that have been undertaken by NEA, many with limited success rates:

1) outsource the whole place to a master tenant (ie, like Kopitiam)
    - result food prices rise drastically and many stallholders end up going out of business, eventually making this model non-viable

2) Management of hawker centers by social enterprises (ie, non-profit organizations)
    - result, concept has already failed in the few places where it has been tried

3) NEA directly renting out stalls , usually at subsidized rates to people who qualify under certain schemes (normally old people)
    - result, many hawker stalls do not stay open throughout the day. When you rent out stalls at $100 per month, there really is no incentive for people to keep their stalls open for long hours. In many of the directly managed hawker centers, you will realize most stalls only open for b/fast, then they close-shop. I feel this is is great disservice to the residents.

4) Interestingly, many of the hawker centers that have been sold off to individuals on a 20 year lease (as can be found in the link above) are fairly robust hawker centers. Many stalls do brisk business, and these hawker centers remain vibrant throughout the day (of course there may be few exceptions).

I also concur with some of the comments on this forum, that just because the issue is 'complex', we should not let NEA off easily, because we do pay our planners very well to come out with solutions that maximize the benefits for the neighborhood hawker centers and the residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    When we get bunch of well educated, smart asshole who never visit the wet market and eat at the hawker center to decide how to run it, this is what we will get.

– Alvin Toffler
    When u cannot rent out your condo in future don't blame worker party ok. It is because u support their style. I predict southbank to crash 30% if wp takeover sg.
    Not to mention how much will Terrasse drop. No Tenant no rent yield becuase they will chase ur tenants out of sg. If wp don't they will get voted out.

Quote Originally Posted by star View Post
    When u cannot rent out your condo in future don't blame worker party ok. It is because u support their style. I predict southbank to crash 30% if wp takeover sg.
    Not to mention how much will Terrasse drop. No Tenant no rent yield becuase they will chase ur tenants out of sg. If wp don't they will get voted out.
    Maybe you would like to spend a bit of time knowing what is Singapore.

*前进吧*新加坡*Majulah*Singapura*

https://www.youtube.com/user/tch88888/videos

– Alvin Toffler
    When its not broken don't mean no improvement are needed. And with improvement come cost. Question is people want improvement but expect them to fall from the sky free.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by rook View Post
    Here is some further information for those who like to dig deeper into the subject of hawker center management in Singapore.

http://app2.nea.gov.sg/corporate-fun...on-31-may-2014

From my own observation, over the last 10 odd years, the crowds that used to visit many hawker centers have thinned out (but not disappeared altogether). I for one, love visiting hawker centers because they provide the cheapest form of food with the widest variety in any neighborhood.

The following are different models that have been undertaken by NEA, many with limited success rates:

1) outsource the whole place to a master tenant (ie, like Kopitiam)
    - result food prices rise drastically and many stallholders end up going out of business, eventually making this model non-viable

2) Management of hawker centers by social enterprises (ie, non-profit organizations)
    - result, concept has already failed in the few places where it has been tried

3) NEA directly renting out stalls , usually at subsidized rates to people who qualify under certain schemes (normally old people)
    - result, many hawker stalls do not stay open throughout the day. When you rent out stalls at $100 per month, there really is no incentive for people to keep their stalls open for long hours. In many of the directly managed hawker centers, you will realize most stalls only open for b/fast, then they close-shop. I feel this is is great disservice to the residents.

4) Interestingly, many of the hawker centers that have been sold off to individuals on a 20 year lease (as can be found in the link above) are fairly robust hawker centers. Many stalls do brisk business, and these hawker centers remain vibrant throughout the day (of course there may be few exceptions).

I also concur with some of the comments on this forum, that just because the issue is 'complex', we should not let NEA off easily, because we do pay our planners very well to come out with solutions that maximize the benefits for the neighborhood hawker centers and the residents.

Crowd thin could also be people prefer to of food court which is air con. I know many who choose the later becoz its air con. We have a strawberry generation these days. a bit of sun and handwork all cannot take it one mah.
    Last edited by minority; 09-09-14 at 16:26.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Maybe you would like to spend a bit of time knowing what is Singapore.

*前进吧*新加坡*Majulah*Singapura*

https://www.youtube.com/user/tch88888/videos
    I know what singapore is. Singapore is a city where the people all have good life. no famine no natural disaster no resources . But a generation have emerged with Good life build on the foundation of previous generation hard work. So they got nothing better to do than whine n complain about everything under the stars. Its a city where the generation of people have become complacent that think they are on top of the world and everything are GOD given. It must be all free and good raining from the skies. Its a city where the people mind set should have grown with time but instead have regressed to piety what I haves and I don't and what I can't get u shan't to.

Yesh Majulah.. Singapura.. no wonder the merlion puke..... Must have seen this generation coming.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    I know what singapore is. Singapore is a city where the people all have good life. no famine no natural disaster no resources . But a generation have emerged with Good life build on the foundation of previous generation hard work. So they got nothing better to do than whine n complain about everything under the stars. Its a city where the generation of people have become complacent that think they are on top of the world and everything are GOD given. It must be all free and good raining from the skies. Its a city where the people mind set should have grown with time but instead have regressed to piety what I haves and I don't and what I can't get u shan't to.

Yesh Majulah.. Singapura.. no wonder the merlion puke..... Must have seen this generation coming.
    Everyone know what Singapore is, problem is how much they know.

It the same as Everyone know what Money is, problem is how much they know.

I still don't know what is Money, why a piece of paper printed with picture and words got value?

I go to the Bank and tell them I have a condo brought for SGD 535,000 and they loan me SGD 660,000 ??????????

I still don't know what is Money, why a piece of paper printed with picture and words got value?

I go to the Bank and tell them I have a condo brought for SGD 535,000 and they loan me SGD 660,000 ??????????
    If u don't know what money is i suggest u give it all to the poor, sell your two condo give it all bro.

Money in this World belong to this World, whether I give to the poor or rich still belong to this world.

You can give a million to the poor, do you think they know how to spend.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...broke-20140608

$1m gone in one year: Widow of killed Changi Airport worker is now broke
    - See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin....feKcZBRX.dpuf

Actually what people want is simple, some can go aircon food court to eat, other people can go hawker centre to eat.

If you make hawker centre same price as aircon food court, then people got no choice but to cry father cry mother.

Money in this World belong to this World, whether I give to the poor or rich still belong to this world.

You can give a million to the poor, do you think they know how to spend.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...broke-20140608

$1m gone in one year: Widow of killed Changi Airport worker is now broke
    - See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin....feKcZBRX.dpuf
    http://www.noomii.com/blog/3287-when...giving-choices

Give a man a fish and teach him to fish too

Quote Originally Posted by Wynyard View Post
    Actually what people want is simple, some can go aircon food court to eat, other people can go hawker centre to eat.

If you make hawker centre same price as aircon food court, then people got no choice but to cry father cry mother.
    Today haweker center price is not same as food court. what people are cry father cry mother is they expect food court price to be same as hawker center price.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

I also suggest if u dont know wat money is then give it all to the poor. then perhaps when u dont have the paper with picture u will understand what the paper with picture means?

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    I also suggest if u dont know wat money is then give it all to the poor. then perhaps when u dont have the paper with picture u will understand what the paper with picture means?
    Life is more than just paper with picture.

With our changing economic times, everyone is asking for help in some form. There are as many reasons to give as there are ways to give.

Some people give for recognition. They want their names in programs, on park benches and in hospital lobbies. Others give expecting to be paid back or thanked, they give to get. Some people want a hands-on-experience and are generous with their time. Some like to give anonymously and don’t want any recognition at all.

People who truly master the art of giving give out of the goodness of their hearts with no self-serving motives. Giving becomes a blessing for the giver and receiver.

It’s human nature to believe, “When I have more I’ll give more.” If you come from this mentality you never have enough of anything to give.

Generosity is a choice that feels right and joyful. Generosity comes from believing you have enough to share.

The following are gifts we all have that can benefit others.

1. Give of Your Talents
    Give someone an hour of coaching, a signed copy of your book or a golf lesson. Can you offer child care? Or do you have plumbing, painting, or landscaping skills?

Give things. Clean your home and clear out your closet of unwanted things. Give what you don’t use or need to charity. Your junk is someone else’s treasure.

2. Give blood.
    Save a life. I’ve done this on several occasions; it’s a great feeling to know you are helping to save someone’s life.

3. Give of yourself.
    Make someone feel loved, special and appreciated with a visit, phone call, email, text or card. Give a hand made gift. Give praise, gratitude and appreciation. This creates heart-to-heart connections.

4. Give someone a lift.
    When you encounter a quotation or a good news story, pass it on with a personal “thinking of you” note. This is spirit-lifting. It can make someone’s day. Today hand written notes and cards are rare gifts.

5. Give a recommendation.
    Enrich someone’s life by sharing the discovery of a great blog, book, restaurant, product or service. The message you give is “This was a great find for me and I want to share it with you.”

6. Give the gift of laughter.
    Laughter brings health and happiness to others. It offers physiological, psychological and spiritual benefits. Laugh loud and laugh often with everyone.

7. Give an invitation.
    Being invited to any kind of event means people want to be with you. When you invite someone into your life you are saying, “I want to spend time with you, you are important to me.

8. Give affection.
    Appropriately offer a hug, a kiss on the cheek, a pat on the back, a touch on an arm or a tender look. We never lose the need for affection and acceptance. Touching heals emotional wounds.

9. Give good advice.
    Ask the question, “Do you want advice or to you want me to listen.” If needed and wanted advice can be life-saving. Shared insights and wisdom is a precious gift.

10. Give encouragement.
    When people are filled with doubt and fear they lack courage. When you inspire and motivate someone to act on their dreams, it can be life changing. You are making the world a better place.

11. Give without keeping score.
    Real giving is expecting nothing in return. Give when you have the opportunity not because you received something and want to return the favor. Never hesitate to give because you gave last.

12. Give forgiveness.
    Forgiveness offers healing to family, friends, coworkers and neighbors. Forgive yourself and others in spite of memories of unlovable times. Drop the story of what they did and what you did and the meaning you have given it.

13. Give money.
    Giving stuff is easy. We usually don’t need or want it… But almost everyone likes to hang on to their money. Giving away money is more difficult because it means less for you. Give money because others need it. Give money because we’re dependent on one another.

14. Give An Act Of Kindness.
    Kindness is the easiest and most abundant gift we have to give away. Buy Girl Scout cookies, always open the door for the person behind you, return your grocery cart, make cookies for your neighbor. The list is endless. Kindness brings joy to the giver, receiver and anyone witnessing the act!

15. Give love.
    It’s easy to love those who love us back. Challenge yourself to give love to those who deserve it the least. Make your love unconditional. Make the world a more loving place. Everyone will reap the benefits!

Tess Marshall is the mover and shaker, at www.TheBoldLife.com, where she’ll hold you accountable for being the boldest you’ve ever been in every area of your life! What would you do if you were 10 times bolder? You can sign up for her RSS feed and receive her updates or follow her on Twitter

http://www.unwrapyourmind.com/master...art-of-giving/