Thread: Lease expires

Default Lease expires

Hi, I would like to seek the advice from brothers and sisters here.

I have rented out a unit and the lease is going to expire end of this year. Should I start to get an agent to help me find the tenant first or should I wait till the lease expires. If get it now, it might disturb the current tenant because future tenant need to view the unit but if get it only when lease expires, then it might take a while to get another tenant.

hmm... i have these 2 clauses in TA

-During the two (2) months immediately preceding the expiration of the tenancy herein to permit the Landlord or its representatives at all reasonable times mutually agreed upon and by prior appointment to bring interested parties to view the said premises for the purpose of letting the same.
    -During the currency of this tenancy, to allow the Landlord or its representatives at all reasonable times mutually agreed upon and by prior appointment to bring any interested parties to view the said premises in the event of a prospective sale thereof. The said premises shall be sold subject to this tenancy.

i think it is quite reasonable for existing tenant to allow some viewings in the last month of the tenancy.
    personally i feel that, quite difficult to get future tenant to commit 2 or 3 months in advance, mostly will strike deal in the last month(if not requiring for immediate occupation).

Yes, check your TA. There should be a clause stating that existing tenants should open up the house for viewings by potential tenants XX months in advanced. If yours is a 1-yr lease, it should be 1-mth in advanced but then it could vary from TA to TA.

Best is to get the same agent (who closed your deal) to market your unit, as it will be easier for him to liaise with the existing tenant to arrange for viewings. Otherwise if you were to get some other agents to market, it will be a chore for you to liaise and arrange suitable timings agreeable by both parties to conduct the viewing (Unless your current tenant dont mind his contact number given to your other agents to arrange the viewing). Once yr lease expires, you may open up to a couple more agents to market your unit.

Another point you may consider is whether the current state of the house is 'good' enough for viewing. If your tenant is messy and house is in a horrible state, may jus drive away potential tenants. Sometimes its easier to market when the house is empty and clean.

Good luck!

You may to sound out your tenant two months before the expiry date of the lease via your agent as the market is relatively quieter now. I have done that he has just renewed the lease a month before the existing tenancy agreement expired. Rental usually quieter closer to the end of the year. So do not wait further. Zeamybro's point on condition is critical. Your agent should be able to do not for you. I usually maintain arms length from my tenant. I have only met him to sign the renewal agreement. I am glad that he spent only 50% of his time in signapore for the last 2 years. The place clean and tidy like before. Good tenant is important to keep.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeamybro View Post
    Yes, check your TA. There should be a clause stating that existing tenants should open up the house for viewings by potential tenants XX months in advanced. If yours is a 1-yr lease, it should be 1-mth in advanced but then it could vary from TA to TA.

Best is to get the same agent (who closed your deal) to market your unit, as it will be easier for him to liaise with the existing tenant to arrange for viewings. Otherwise if you were to get some other agents to market, it will be a chore for you to liaise and arrange suitable timings agreeable by both parties to conduct the viewing (Unless your current tenant dont mind his contact number given to your other agents to arrange the viewing). Once yr lease expires, you may open up to a couple more agents to market your unit.

Another point you may consider is whether the current state of the house is 'good' enough for viewing. If your tenant is messy and house is in a horrible state, may jus drive away potential tenants. Sometimes its easier to market when the house is empty and clean.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    You may to sound out your tenant two months before the expiry date of the lease via your agent as the market is relatively quieter now. I have done that he has just renewed the lease a month before the existing tenancy agreement expired. Rental usually quieter closer to the end of the year. So do not wait further. Zeamybro's point on condition is critical. Your agent should be able to do not for you. I usually maintain arms length from my tenant. I have only met him to sign the renewal agreement. I am glad that he spent only 50% of his time in signapore for the last 2 years. The place clean and tidy like before. Good tenant is important to keep.
    Thank you everybody. My TA states 3 months before the expiry date of the lease. My current tenant is good, I hope he can renew the lease but according to him during the signing of TA, he said he is posted here for only 18 months. Maybe next month, I will try to contact my agent about the leasing.

How about the hand over, is it my old agent will do that for me?

Yes sis iris, your old agent will do the hand over for you, but best in your presence. Depends on how lenient you are, but pls check thoroughly for any 'hidden damages'.

Recently, I took back 1 unit and I wasnt thorough enough, and found a few 'hidden' damages later. I have a cutlery tray in the kitchen drawer which is custom-made and an original provision from the developer. I didnt pull out the drawer fully to inspect and found a big lobang in the tray a few days later when i took it out to clean. The master-room door behind also has a deep long scratch but i didnt take note during the inspection cos the door was left "opened" during the inspection.

Other things you should take note is the mattress. Make sure you remove the mattress protector or covering sheets to check whether it is still clean and in good conditions. Shift your bed to the side to check if your parquet floor underneath the bed has been scratched. Many other items to take note but it really depends on how 'ngiao' you are.. . and the efforts required to restore the unit back to decent and rent-able conditions.

I'm wondering there should be wear and tear after 1-2 years lease, so tenants definitely have to prepare for it?

Yes sis iris, your old agent will do the hand over for you, but best in your presence. Depends on how lenient you are, but pls check thoroughly for any 'hidden damages'.

Recently, I took back 1 unit and I wasnt thorough enough, and found a few 'hidden' damages later. I have a cutlery tray in the kitchen drawer which is custom-made and an original provision from the developer. I didnt pull out the drawer fully to inspect and found a big lobang in the tray a few days later when i took it out to clean. The master-room door behind also has a deep long scratch but i didnt take note during the inspection cos the door was left "opened" during the inspection.

Other things you should take note is the mattress. Make sure you remove the mattress protector or covering sheets to check whether it is still clean and in good conditions. Shift your bed to the side to check if your parquet floor underneath the bed has been scratched. Many other items to take note but it really depends on how 'ngiao' you are.. . and the efforts required to restore the unit back to decent and rent-able conditions.
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience. My husband always say that I want perfection, everytime when I checked out some damages, he will say never mind never mind, sign.....

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience. My husband always say that I want perfection, everytime when I checked out some damages, he will say never mind never mind, sign. ..
    When I first shifted to my current house, I spotted a patch of white mark on my green kitchen counter top but he said never mind, so we let it go without getting the developer to rectify the defect (still under warranty). Recently we changed our counter top and he saw the patch on our old counter top and he asked me why didn't we got it rectify during that time.

Just curious, if you have spotted out those damages, will you ask them to pay and how you justify the cost? Small damages maybe can close one eye but big damages, how to close another eye leh. You mean the mattress for the previous tenant can be re-use for the next tenant. Sorry I'm a blur queen.

Just curious, if you have spotted out those damages, will you ask them to pay and how you justify the cost? Small damages maybe can close one eye but big damages, how to close another eye leh. You mean the mattress for the previous tenant can be re-use for the next tenant. Sorry I'm a blur queen.

No la, dont call yourself blur queen as everyone has to start some where. We are all sharing our individual experiences here only and views are often subjective.

So far I am able to re-use my mattresses for subsequent tenancies, as I always provide them with new mattress protectors and my mattresses usually come back with me clean and look almost new (except for 1 occassion). But i must qualify that I usually buy above avg mattresses such that they do not sag much over time.

As for those other damages, it really depends whether you want to close one eye, both eyes or none, lol. I will usually assess the overall condition of the house before deciding whether to charge them for the damages. If the overall condition of the unit is good, I will just refund them the full deposit even though there may be some minor damages or missing items. Otherwise, if you conclude that the tenant has not been taking decent care of your unit, you can charge them accordingly. There should be standard/market rates for certain items (eg. Changing of light bulbs, the cost of each bulb, labour + transport cost). For some other damages like scratches on parquet floor, funitures etc, although you can typically engage a handy man to do some rectification works (through grinding, polishing and re-coating), I would usually not proceed and ask for monetary compensation equivalent to the charge of the restoration works.

Corporate tenancy could be a little more tricky as they would usually ask for official invoices/receipts for the restoration works. Personal lease is more direct and straight forward, although the likelihood of them barganining / negotiating with you is much higher.

GOod luck, anything can PM me

No la, dont call yourself blur queen as everyone has to start some where. We are all sharing our individual experiences here only and views are often subjective.

So far I am able to re-use my mattresses for subsequent tenancies, as I always provide them with new mattress protectors and my mattresses usually come back with me clean and look almost new (except for 1 occassion). But i must qualify that I usually buy above avg mattresses such that they do not sag much over time.

As for those other damages, it really depends whether you want to close one eye, both eyes or none, lol. I will usually assess the overall condition of the house before deciding whether to charge them for the damages. If the overall condition of the unit is good, I will just refund them the full deposit even though there may be some minor damages or missing items. Otherwise, if you conclude that the tenant has not been taking decent care of your unit, you can charge them accordingly. There should be standard/market rates for certain items (eg. Changing of light bulbs, the cost of each bulb, labour + transport cost). For some other damages like scratches on parquet floor, funitures etc, although you can typically engage a handy man to do some rectification works (through grinding, polishing and re-coating), I would usually not proceed and ask for monetary compensation equivalent to the charge of the restoration works.

Corporate tenancy could be a little more tricky as they would usually ask for official invoices/receipts for the restoration works. Personal lease is more direct and straight forward, although the likelihood of them barganining / negotiating with you is much higher.

Thank you so much for your sharing. At least now I know what to check and what to do when my turn comes.

I will usually do one round of check before the end of lease together with my agent, the tenant, and his agents. We will go around with photos that were taken before the house was handed over to the tenant. A list of things that are damaged will be given to the tenant. My tenant can decide to get his own contractor or my contractor to do it. I will get my contractor to give a quote based on that list if tenants want my contractor to do the job. I will deduct the repair amount from the deposit once the job is done and refund the balance. On other hand, my tenant can get his/her contractor to reinstate the condition to its original state. I prefer corporate list than individual as everything is transparent.

I will usually do one round of check before the end of lease together with my agent, the tenant, and his agents. We will go around with photos that were taken before the house was handed over to the tenant. A list of things that are damaged will be given to the tenant. My tenant can decide to get his own contractor or my contractor to do it. I will get my contractor to give a quote based on that list if tenants want my contractor to do the job. I will deduct the repair amount from the deposit once the job is done and refund the balance. On other hand, my tenant can get his/her contractor to reinstate the condition to its original state. I prefer corporate list than individual as everything is transparent.

Thank you so much. But if the tenant needs to leave S'pore immediately after the lease expires, will we have enough time to get everything right?

Hold back the deposit and transfer to him later as long as there are receipts.
    Thank you so much. But if the tenant needs to leave S'pore immediately after the lease expires, will we have enough time to get everything right?

Hold back the deposit and transfer to him later as long as there are receipts.
    Thank you so much.

When you hold the deposit, you are indeed in power. The tenant is very afraid that you might not refund him/her. So you can easily come up with a reasonable amount to deduct, and mostly likely he/she will be happily accept it and get the cheque on the spot.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by richwang View Post
    When you hold the deposit, you are indeed in power. The tenant is very afraid that you might not refund him/her. So you can easily come up with a reasonable amount to deduct, and mostly likely he/she will be happily accept it and get the cheque on the spot.

Good luck!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by richwang View Post

Good luck!
    Thanks Richard and DC bro for sharing your invaluable experiences too.

There are some damages which could not be restored or are simply not cost effective to restore eg. permanent stains or tears on sofa/curtains; dents and chips on furniture; cracks on vanity top etc. Replacing the entire item would be too costly and wasteful, especially if the damages do not affect the functionality and the item could still be used.

Under such circumstances, it would be good to propose a reasonable amount to deduct and tenants would usually be glad to accept (probably after some nego) as it saves them the trouble, time and $$$. On yr side, it also helps you to recoupe some $$$ back without having to go through the hassles of arranging the parts to be replaced. Usually everything can chop chop settle on the spot, hand over the keys, give them the cheque and bye...

For corporate lease, it may not be so direct as whatever you claim will need to have official receipts/invoices as the tenant (company) is subject to audit and approval from their Finance dept (sometimes via a relo company) and things may drag longer, and sometimes it may be a challenge to produce claims/receipts for certain kind of damages and rectifications (like the ones i listed above). However, some smaller companies are more flexible though and are not so anal about the paper works.

This thread is pretty helpful as my lease ends next year and the tenant has already approached me to renew.

In the circumstances, I presume I should arrange for an inspection prior to signing the new tenancy agreement and refunding the current deposit? My agent hasn't been very helpful in this regard so grateful if anyone here can enlighten me on the appropriate steps to take. At the moment, I have just received the new draft tenancy agreement and sent it back with my amendments.

Thanks in advance.