Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore Property Downcycle

If they can do it so can we........

Singapore warms to land of the setting yen

Sunday, Oct 05, 2014
    Fiona Chan
    Melissa Tan
    The Straits Times
    Sushi lovers must be saying "arigatou" to Abenomics.

The deflation-busting economic policies of Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, which include generous monetary easing, have been pushing the yen down since 2012.

Now, as investors switch their focus to the rising US dollar, the yen has hit new multi-year lows. The Japanese currency touched a six-year low against the greenback this week, and is at its lowest to the Singapore dollar since the Asian financial crisis in 1997.

Traveller interest in Japan has surged and investors are eyeing more property in the land of the rising sun even as currency watchers predict further yen weakness over the coming months.

Dynasty Travel marketing director Alicia Seah said the number of Japan-bound tourists has risen "now that Singaporeans' spending power in Japan is stronger".

The agency has handled nearly 5,000 bookings for Japan in the first nine months this year, a sharp jump from the 3,000 travellers for the whole of last year.

Apart from the weak yen, more direct flights from Singapore to Japanese regions such as Okinawa also contributed to rising tourist interest, she added. "We expect Japan to be among the top destinations for Singaporeans this year."

At Chan Brothers Travel, the number of bookings to Japan in August and September has gone up 25 per cent from a year ago, said Ms Jane Chang, head of marketing and communications.

Serviced apartment group The Ascott has also seen more foreign visitors to Japan due to the weak yen and recent relaxation of visa requirements, said Mr Tan Lai Seng, the group's regional general manager for Japan and Korea.

He added that the group's Japan properties are more than 80 per cent occupied, and tourism is expected to be further boosted by the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

The weaker yen - coupled with low interest rates, high rental yields and a strong outlook for the property market over the next few years - is also drawing property investors, consultants say.

Mr Alex Bellingham, the Singapore-based director of property investment firm IP Global, said Japanese property is "more attractive than it has been for many years", especially ahead of the Olympics.

Economists say the yen's fall against the Singapore and US currencies is not a surprise, given Japan's monetary policy divergence with the other two nations.

"Singapore has an appreciating Singdollar policy, while Japan still favours anti-deflationary monetary and exchange rate policies," said DBS senior currency economist Philip Wee.

He expects the yen to fall further, reaching 90 yen to S$1 by the end of next year, from 85.9 yen to S$1 now.

"Markets anticipate further yen depreciation," said Oanda senior currency trader Stephen Innes. This should lead to a further fall in the Japanese unit against the Singdollar over the short term.

Credit Suisse Japan economist Takashi Shiono said the looming end of the US Federal Reserve's easy money policies has been the main factor behind the weakening of the yen against the US dollar.

But expectations of more easing from the Bank of Japan (BOJ), if Japanese economic data worsens in the coming months, will put further pressure on the yen.

"The BOJ remains entrenched in its monetary easing cycle with the potential for further initiatives still on the cards," agreed OCBC strategist Emmanuel Ng.

Companies with operations in Japan are expecting further yen fluctuations, but most have systems in place to manage the risks.

Among them is Singapore-listed Parkway Life Reit, which owns more than 40 properties in Japan.

"While we expect the yen to remain volatile in the near term, the adverse impact from its depreciation is mitigated to a large extent by (our) risk management strategies," said Mr Yong Yean Chau, chief executive of the Reit's manager Parkway Trust Management.

The Reit funded its Japanese acquisitions with yen-denominated loans, ensuring a stable net asset value, and it has also hedged its net yen cash flow for the next few years to protect its distribution income for unitholders, he added.

Other firms with Japan dealings include City Developments, which said on Monday that it tied up with a US investment firm to buy a historical site in Tokyo for 30.5 billion yen (S$355.5 million).

It was a timely purchase; a year ago the price would have translated into about S$390 million.

[email protected]

This article was first published on Oct 3, 2014.
    Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

More waves will come for OCR private properties!

I heard of many instances of HDB upgraders decoupling ownership of their HDB flats, i.e. HDB flats supposed to be owned jointly by husband and wife, yet HDB is facilitating them to decouple by allowing 1 party to remove their name from ownership while the other party still can fully own the HDB flat (without needing to sell). Well, people may ask: Why decouple? Simple, they are decoupling to buy OCR private property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well the reality will sink in in late 2015-2017, shits will hit the fence for OCR private properties and it will crash much worse than CCR when they have no tenants to help pay for their instalments because of govt's tightening of foreigners coming here to work! (unless MAS/MND relax the property cooling measures)! Those people still don't know OCR private condos like those in Punggol can't even find tenant after 6 months of advertisement?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    CCR is always first to be hit and it will send the ripple to the OCR soon. Good to watch for the period 2015-2017. A good barometer to measure is the price of resale flats with those in CCR as compared to those OCR. In addition, flats in CCR still somewhat able to hold for rental but not for OCR. A lot of them are looking for tenants even now. So imagine, when those with hdb flats owners who want to sell or rent their hdb flats to support the financing of their OCR PCs will be a challenge. They are worried now especially the rising interest rate.

Rank Country Foreign exchange reserves
    (Millions of US$) Figures as of
    1 People's Republic of China[1] 4,009,553 Mar 2014[1]
    2 Japan 1,278,011 Aug 2014[2]
    3 Saudi Arabia 738,817 Jun 2014[3]
    4 Switzerland 545,948 Aug 2014[4]
    5 Russia 465,228 Sep 2014[5]
    6 Republic of China (Taiwan) 428,795 Jul 2014[6]
    7 Brazil 379,157 Aug 2014[7]
    8 Republic of Korea 366,546 Jun 2014[8]
    - Hong Kong 325,035 Jul 2014[9]
    9 India 319,390 Aug 2014[10]
    10 Singapore 273,293 Aug 2014[11]
    11 Germany 206,275 Aug 2014[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...hange_reserves

USD 1,278,011 million, just make Yen to Dollar down you make million.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post

I heard of many instances of HDB upgraders decoupling ownership of their HDB flats, i.e. HDB flats supposed to be owned jointly by husband and wife, yet HDB is facilitating them to decouple by allowing 1 party to remove their name from ownership while the other party still can fully own the HDB flat (without needing to sell). Well, people may ask: Why decouple? Simple, they are decoupling to buy OCR private property!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well the reality will sink in in late 2015-2017, shits will hit the fence for OCR private properties and it will crash much worse than CCR when they have no tenants to help pay for their instalments because of govt's tightening of foreigners coming here to work! (unless MAS/MND relax the property cooling measures)! Those people still don't know OCR private condos like those in Punggol can't even find tenant after 6 months of advertisement?
    If I got HDB and there is Condo nearby for sale what should I do?

1. Buy condo rent out HDB.
    2. See people buy and KPKB.
    3. Wait for Condo price to fall (Durian is falling)
    4. Put money in the Bank to earn interest.

I Think this applies for any couple with no holding power. I know quite a people who buy just as a vacation property with no intention to rent out.

N they stay in ocr places like punggol etc. I m unsure where u get your data from but it would be more useful if u can back up your claim with statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    I Think this applies for any couple with no holding power. I know quite a people who buy just as a vacation property with no intention to rent out.

N they stay in ocr places like punggol etc. I m unsure where u get your data from but it would be more useful if u can back up your claim with statistics.
    Agree, Facts and figures and possible link to the data, instead of general view or worst hearsay, Thank you.

I don't have full statistics, but I have anecdotal facts from my agents, and based on listening to the ground and gut feeling, I have been able to gauge the market well, and most importantly, make money out of such bets.............

And let's be realistic: If a person can only afford OCR private property as an investment property, you think he can afford to keep it vacant for long? If the person is going to keep it vacant, then that is not called "investment property" and it is not "investment" at all! That is called "burning money" for nothing...........

All too often, you hear people saying that they keep their additional Singapore's property as "vacation property" (in Singapore when they are already living in Singapore?!!!!!!), but the fact is because when they can't find tenant to rent out, their investment property become "vacation property" loh! It is not like the rich Indonesians where they left their property empty here because they don't live here permanently, and they come to Singapore once a month or so for business dealing and they want a familiar place to return to and these people can well afford to leave 10 properties empty (not just 1).................

Last edited by teddybear; 06-10-14 at 17:22.

I do go Singapore for vacation for the last 8 years in France and 2 years in US, though I am a Singaporean.

Some people collect fine art, wine, stone others collect property.

Some save money in the Bank, under the bed, in a biscuit can, other buy property, insurance as a form of force saving. Not everyone is cut out to be an investor.

Your Singapore property is your vacation home! (because you don't live in Singapore most of the time!). However, it is different from somebody who is already living in Singapore and yet say they left their another house vacant as "vacation home"?!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    I do go Singapore for vacation for the last 8 years in France and 2 years in US, though I am a Singaporean.

Some people collect fine art, wine, stone others collect property.

Some save money in the Bank, under the bed, in a biscuit can, other buy property, insurance as a form of force saving. Not everyone is cut out to be an investor.

When a person only know know to save instead of invest, property is a force saving plan and when they use it occasionally they call it vacation home.

In China, they have vacation city (ghost town) because they don't know where to park their money.

Now Jack Ma show them the way, we should see lot of Jack Ma from China soon.

It is just a game of money, those who care to put in more time(life) or less in knowing it, others spend time on football, internet game, vacation.........

Relax and enjoy, everybody time on Earth is limited.

I don't have full statistics, but I have anecdotal facts from my agents, and based on listening to the ground and gut feeling, I have been able to gauge the market well, and most importantly, make money out of such bets.............

And let's be realistic: If a person can only afford OCR private property as an investment property, you think he can afford to keep it vacant for long? If the person is going to keep it vacant, then that is not called "investment property" and it is not "investment" at all! That is called "burning money" for nothing...........

All too often, you hear people saying that they keep their additional Singapore's property as "vacation property" (in Singapore when they are already living in Singapore?!!!!!!), but the fact is because when they can't find tenant to rent out, their investment property become "vacation property" loh! It is not like the rich Indonesians where they left their property empty here because they don't live here permanently, and they come to Singapore once a month or so for business dealing and they want a familiar place to return to and these people can well afford to leave 10 properties empty (not just 1).................

Obviously your gut feeling and understanding of the ground has been very inaccurate, thats why you have missed the opportunity to invest in OCR and MM apartment since 4 to 5 years ago. And you have wasted too much precious time hoping for a recovery in the wrong side of CCR.

The only way to judge if landlord are desperate is the study the rental trend. If rent doesnt fall by double digit, that means landlord are cash rich enough to hold and wait for tenant. The one who are actually more desperate are those mildly rich people who invest in really expensive CCR property with high maintenance cost, they are the one who will get cold feet first.

Plus it is important to remember that people who invest in OCR property are not poor people, there are many seasoned investors who put their money in OCR as it has been the best performing sector for the past 5 to 6 years.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

My uncle has a good size 5-room near Khoo Teck Puat hospital does not have any viewing at all for the last 6 months.

Do not forget that there is GST now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    If they can do it so can we........

Singapore warms to land of the setting yen

Sunday, Oct 05, 2014
    Fiona Chan
    Melissa Tan
    The Straits Times
    Sushi lovers must be saying "arigatou" to Abenomics.

The deflation-busting economic policies of Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, which include generous monetary easing, have been pushing the yen down since 2012.

Now, as investors switch their focus to the rising US dollar, the yen has hit new multi-year lows. The Japanese currency touched a six-year low against the greenback this week, and is at its lowest to the Singapore dollar since the Asian financial crisis in 1997.

Traveller interest in Japan has surged and investors are eyeing more property in the land of the rising sun even as currency watchers predict further yen weakness over the coming months.

Dynasty Travel marketing director Alicia Seah said the number of Japan-bound tourists has risen "now that Singaporeans' spending power in Japan is stronger".

The agency has handled nearly 5,000 bookings for Japan in the first nine months this year, a sharp jump from the 3,000 travellers for the whole of last year.

Apart from the weak yen, more direct flights from Singapore to Japanese regions such as Okinawa also contributed to rising tourist interest, she added. "We expect Japan to be among the top destinations for Singaporeans this year."

At Chan Brothers Travel, the number of bookings to Japan in August and September has gone up 25 per cent from a year ago, said Ms Jane Chang, head of marketing and communications.

Serviced apartment group The Ascott has also seen more foreign visitors to Japan due to the weak yen and recent relaxation of visa requirements, said Mr Tan Lai Seng, the group's regional general manager for Japan and Korea.

He added that the group's Japan properties are more than 80 per cent occupied, and tourism is expected to be further boosted by the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

The weaker yen - coupled with low interest rates, high rental yields and a strong outlook for the property market over the next few years - is also drawing property investors, consultants say.

Mr Alex Bellingham, the Singapore-based director of property investment firm IP Global, said Japanese property is "more attractive than it has been for many years", especially ahead of the Olympics.

Economists say the yen's fall against the Singapore and US currencies is not a surprise, given Japan's monetary policy divergence with the other two nations.

"Singapore has an appreciating Singdollar policy, while Japan still favours anti-deflationary monetary and exchange rate policies," said DBS senior currency economist Philip Wee.

He expects the yen to fall further, reaching 90 yen to S$1 by the end of next year, from 85.9 yen to S$1 now.

"Markets anticipate further yen depreciation," said Oanda senior currency trader Stephen Innes. This should lead to a further fall in the Japanese unit against the Singdollar over the short term.

Credit Suisse Japan economist Takashi Shiono said the looming end of the US Federal Reserve's easy money policies has been the main factor behind the weakening of the yen against the US dollar.

But expectations of more easing from the Bank of Japan (BOJ), if Japanese economic data worsens in the coming months, will put further pressure on the yen.

"The BOJ remains entrenched in its monetary easing cycle with the potential for further initiatives still on the cards," agreed OCBC strategist Emmanuel Ng.

Companies with operations in Japan are expecting further yen fluctuations, but most have systems in place to manage the risks.

Among them is Singapore-listed Parkway Life Reit, which owns more than 40 properties in Japan.

"While we expect the yen to remain volatile in the near term, the adverse impact from its depreciation is mitigated to a large extent by (our) risk management strategies," said Mr Yong Yean Chau, chief executive of the Reit's manager Parkway Trust Management.

The Reit funded its Japanese acquisitions with yen-denominated loans, ensuring a stable net asset value, and it has also hedged its net yen cash flow for the next few years to protect its distribution income for unitholders, he added.

Other firms with Japan dealings include City Developments, which said on Monday that it tied up with a US investment firm to buy a historical site in Tokyo for 30.5 billion yen (S$355.5 million).

It was a timely purchase; a year ago the price would have translated into about S$390 million.

[email protected]

This article was first published on Oct 3, 2014.
    Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

I'm not a seasoned investor like you and I do see where is your come from. But there are reasons why people buy ocr properties rather than rcr or even CCR. Then what about those people who buy CCR just for staying? Is it considered investment if they are staying in it?

Hope some analysts will develop a chart to show vacancy rate based on district in 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by seletar View Post
    A forecast of 12% home vacancy rate in 2016.

http://sbr.com.sg/residential-proper....dfbsR4uj.dpuf
    Published 18 Nov 2013

Chart of the Day: Home vacancies predicted to hit historical highs in 2014-2016

According to Macquarie Research, 2014 will see the completion of 19,302 units (+6.6% in inventory), which would result in a vacancy rate of 9.3%.

Historically, property price declines have coincided with vacancies of 8% and above.

The question is not about buying properties in whether OCR/CCR/RCR. It is about the relative pricing of your purchased price. It can be in any region. Lots of people go with the herd mentality but miss out on the big picture. We all know property is a big ticket item which we need to buy after doing the homework.
    I'm not a seasoned investor like you and I do see where is your come from. But there are reasons why people buy ocr properties rather than rcr or even CCR. Then what about those people who buy CCR just for staying? Is it considered investment if they are staying in it?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008 View Post
    The question is not about buying properties in whether OCR/CCR/RCR. It is about the relative pricing of your purchased price. It can be in any region. Lots of people go with the herd mentality but miss out on the big picture. We all know property is a big ticket item which we need to buy after doing the homework.
    I agree. But I take issue with teddybear assumption that they buy in ocr coz they are not rich n later have to claim that it's a vacation property in order to save face coz they can't find tenant.

But the fact is that since they are buying for self stay that's why they are looking at ocr properties which are bigger n more livable.

N that they are affluent enough not to worry about using rent to pay for the monthly installments.

It's the rich people who can burn money for nothing...N can afford at looking at capital appreciation only n not depend on rental to cover their monthly installments.

I agree. But I take issue with teddybear assumption that they buy in ocr coz they are not rich n later have to claim that it's a vacation property in order to save face coz they can't find tenant.

But the fact is that since they are buying for self stay that's why they are looking at ocr properties which are bigger n more livable.

N that they are affluent enough not to worry about using rent to pay for the monthly installments.

It's the rich people who can burn money for nothing...N can afford at looking at capital appreciation only n not depend on rental to cover their monthly installments.
    My take on this: Some buyers buy ccr properties for own stay because they really like the environment. As long as they can fulfill the tdsr and better still, have another property to help cover part of the installments, I guess that is still ok. The issue on whether ccr properties can have capital appreciation or not in future is as good as anyone's guess in today's climate. It may be a case of let nature takes its course for now.

It would be good if there is a more detailed statistics.

On the first glance, it looks like home vacancy is a result of unable to rent out.

However, is it possible that rich people buy as a vacation property and prefer to leave it empty than rent out? i.e. matter of choice rather than circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by seletar View Post
    A forecast of 12% home vacancy rate in 2016.

http://sbr.com.sg/residential-proper....dfbsR4uj.dpuf
    Published 18 Nov 2013

Chart of the Day: Home vacancies predicted to hit historical highs in 2014-2016

According to Macquarie Research, 2014 will see the completion of 19,302 units (+6.6% in inventory), which would result in a vacancy rate of 9.3%.

Historically, property price declines have coincided with vacancies of 8% and above.

It would be good if there is a more detailed statistics.

On the first glance, it looks like home vacancy is a result of unable to rent out.

However, is it possible that rich people buy as a vacation property and prefer to leave it empty than rent out? i.e. matter of choice rather than circumstances?
    Though this would be more accurate but I'm guessing it will be too time consuming to do so and even if done, landlords can also be dishonest in their intentions.

My guess is that the percentage of such owners shouldn't swing too wildly to affect the numbers too greatly? But again, this is speculative.

Property by itself, if freehold, is an investment regardless of own-stay or tenanted because you really own it with no expiry date of your ownership.

Buying leasehold is like buying futures and options, with expiry date. The 99year owner is hoping to sell to another much earlier before the expiry date, being acutely aware of the factor in time decay in value as expiry date gets nearer.

Quote Originally Posted by heehee View Post
    Property by itself, if freehold, is an investment regardless of own-stay or tenanted because you really own it with no expiry date of your ownership.

Buying leasehold is like buying futures and options, with expiry date. The 99year owner is hoping to sell to another much earlier before the expiry date, being acutely aware of the factor in time decay in value as expiry date gets nearer.

That is not true, if its a strata titled property, your expiry date will be the day when the development goes en bloc and you alone cannot decide if you choose to hold or sell.
    Plus, there is no reason to believe why any investor will want to continue holding on to an old and run down development that it very expensive to maintain and difficult for findtenant.
    LH or FH its all about location, if you property is located in good location, there is no need to worry about LH or FH and thats the reason why FH command only 20% premium over LH instead of 1000%. And its important to remember that to government LH land is more important than FH land, and thats the reason why government is giving so much attention on developing LH area rather than FH area in say D15 or D10.
    "Never argue with an idiot, or he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."

you are really self-degrading individual. Your warped logic stand contested and in fear of being judged, you claim others having multiple accounts.

really never seen someone so thick-skinned like you. can only gives you blessing cos you need loads of it.

http://sbr.com.sg/economy/news/goodb....8yIxg0kp.dpuf
    Published: 03 Oct 14

Goodbye, Singapore: Almost half of local firms considering outsourcing to rein in ballooning business costs

Downsizing is also another option.

Domestic firms are considering an extreme weapon against Singapore’s persistently high business costs. According to a study by the Singapore Business Federation, majority of enterprises are focusing on cost reduction measures to combat ballooning business costs.

The report revealed that 43% of firms are considering outsourcing, while 41% are thinking of freezing their headcount and moderating wages.

The most popular cost reduction measure is reducing overheads, which is favored by 63% of firms, followed by procuring cheaper supplies at 62%.

In addition, some 22% of polled enterprises--of which 50% are mid to large-sized companies--are looking to relocate facilities to lower cost countries. Another 21%--of which 20% are large enterprises--are considering downsizing as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by AssetRichMoneyPoor View Post
    you are really self-degrading individual. Your warped logic stand contested and in fear of being judged, you claim others having multiple accounts.

really never seen someone so thick-skinned like you. can only gives you blessing cos you need loads of it.

Please stop wasting your time trying to operate multiple forum account to troll around in this forum, because sooner or later you are going to reveal your truth self and
    you are going to get busted. I mean, you only have one childish brain, how do you expect to pretend to be a matured adult?

http://www.stproperty.sg/articles-pr...183467/page2/1

Resale volumes of private condos plunge

The Business Times - October 7, 2014

Total resales of private condos stood at 1,314 units in the second quarter, accounting for 31.9 per cent of all private non-landed residential transactions - PHOTO: SPH

[SINGAPORE] In yet another sign of a stalemate between buyers and sellers, resale volumes of private condominiums have fallen to levels last seen during the Global Financial Crisis, with the bloodbath of declines seen splattered islandwide.

While sellers with strong holding power seemed unwilling to let go of their units at much-lower prices, District 18 in the east and District 27 in the north appear to have held up well in resale volumes for the second quarter.

District 18, which comprises Tampines and Pasir Ris, saw resale volumes inch up 5.6 per cent in the second quarter this year to 57 transactions compared to the year-ago period before the total debt servicing ratio (TDSR) kicked in on June 29, 2013.

Resale volumes of private condos in District 27, which covers Yishun and Sembawang, were flat at 18 transactions in the second quarter, compared to the same quarter last year.

Their resilience came against a plunge in resale volumes islandwide.

Total resales of private condos stood at 1,314 units in the second quarter, accounting for 31.9 per cent of all private non-landed residential transactions. This is moderately higher than the 29.9 per cent in the same quarter last year but lower than the 40.9 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2012.

District 7 comprising Middle Road and Golden Mile and District 19 covering Serangoon Garden, Hougang and Punggol saw the biggest falls in resale volumes across districts. Transactions in District 7 fell to two units in the second quarter from 12 in the second quarter last year while that in District 19 plummeted to 57 units from 164.

The comparisons of resale volumes before and after TDSR are based only on caveats lodged, which typically represent some 80 per cent of the market. This illustration excludes new sales as they are driven mainly by new launches that may not have taken place in certain districts. The heterogeneity of property units also prevent direct comparisons on price movements over time without controlling for quality differences through constructing an index, a weighted scheme or tracking repeat sales.

Nicholas Mak, executive director of SLP International, noted that much of the resales caveats were for family-size units. "The marketing activities of new projects in that district could have attracted buyers, who may have later decided to buy resale properties as they were cheaper in per square foot (psf) terms."

New launches in District 18 included City Developments' Coco Palms in Pasir Ris, which has moved over 560 units at a median price of S$1,020 psf since its launch in May. MCC Land managed to sell more than 100 units at The Santorini in Tampines since its launch in April at a median S$1,113 psf, according to URA's developer sales data. In comparison, median prices of resale units in District 18 stood at S$897 psf in the second quarter.

The lack of new launches in certain districts could also have the converse effect on the resale market - as seen in Districts 19 and 12 (Balestier, Toa Payoh, Serangoon), Mr Mak added.

R'ST Research director Ong Kah Seng noted that buying interest for homes in Pasir Ris is supported by well-tested leasing demand, especially from the Changi Business Park. The decentralisation of the banks' non-core back-office operations to the business park and increased foreign professionals in the technology sector have also expanded the potential tenant pool in the eastern part of Singapore, he noted.

At the other end of Singapore, District 22 (Jurong) also registered a marginal 4.3 per cent year-on-year drop in resale transactions of private condos in the second quarter, possibly finding some support from renewed interest in the area given URA's masterplan to transform Jurong Lake District, consultants observed.

All transactions (new sales, resales and subsales) involving private condos have slumped 40.7 per cent year-on-year in the second quarter to 4,118 - similar to the levels last seen during the 2008-2009 Global Financial Crisis.

Based on the URA property price index for non-landed homes, prices of private condos transacted in the second quarter have fallen to levels last seen in the fourth quarter of 2012. Prices in the Core Central Region (CCR) fell by a larger magnitude to a level similar to that in the fourth quarter of 2010.

OrangeTee head of research and consultancy Christine Li noted that the drop in foreign purchases due to the additional buyer's stamp duty (ABSD) has hurt the CCR market segment, as foreign buyers make up a significant portion of this segment.

"Secondly, the implementation of loan restrictions such as loan-to-value limits and the TDSR framework have hurt properties with high quantums," she added. "As such, CCR properties have not held up as well as RCR (Rest of Central Region) and OCR (Outside Central Region). This trend is likely to persist until current cooling measures are tweaked."

But given the exuberant run-up in property prices since the second half of 2009, sellers who sold their units recently are unlikely to have suffered a loss, though they could be making less profits than if they had sold their units last year, consultants noted.

A random sampling by SLP International on resale transactions in the second quarter showed that most of the sellers did not incur losses in the resale market because a majority of them bought their units more than three years ago when the prices were cheaper and they did not have to pay the seller's stamp duty for properties that they have held for more than four years.

http://sbr.com.sg/economy/in-focus/u....gxgqqo9n.dpuf
    Published: 07 Oct 14

Uncovering Singapore’s overleveraged and vulnerable borrowers

A new report reveals the growing number of potential defaulters.

The Monetary Authority of Singapore considers a household overleveraged if they have a monthly debt-servicing burden greater than 60%, and the MAS’ most recent Financial Stability Review revealed that 5-10% of Singaporean borrowers are overleveraged.

Though this seems like a relatively small number, analysts now argue that the MAS’ parameters might be understating the true gearing of most Singaporean households.

According to CLSA, other international regulatory authorities and financial institutions are unwilling to lend to borrowers who have a TDSR above 40% or 50%.

If this parameter is applied, it would appear that 29% of Singaporean borrowers have a TDSR greater than 40%.

CLSA notes that Singaporean households with a TDSR above 60% are either relatively poor or relatively wealthy, with larger proportions of 25-29 and 40-44 year olds. 64% of overleveraged households are made up of five or more people.

Most households in this category also have breadwinners who work in the financial services and manufacturing industries, which are the two sectors that have seen the greatest job redundancies in past economic downturns.

Meanwhile, it will appears that borrowers with TDSR above 40% tend to be average to above average income earners. There is an outsized proportion of 30-34 year olds, and most of these households are made up of 3-4 individuals.

“Given the abnormally low interest-rate environment and our expectation that rates will begin to rise in 2H15, we test our borrowers to see what would happen if rates were to swiftly rise by 300bps. We conclude that at least 15% of borrowers would be overleveraged in this scenario.”

http://www.stproperty.sg/articles-pr...183482/page2/1

City, non-city condo price gap narrows

Successive rounds of cooling measures have brought down median prices between homes in the city central and city fringes, suburbs

The Business Times - October 7, 2014

THE price gaps for resale private condos in the city area versus those in the city fringe and suburbs have been narrowing since the market started softening in late 2011, a HSR report released yesterday said.

The gap in median prices between the Core Central Region (CCR) and Rest of Central Region (RCR) reached a high of S$610 psf in Q4 2011, but this gap has fallen to S$461 psf in the second quarter this year.

Similarly, between median prices in the city and the Outside Central Region (OCR), the price gap has fallen from a high of S$870 psf to S$712 psf over the same period.

This came as no surprise to property consultants.

"The narrowing price gap is basically due to the impact of successive rounds of cooling measures which had a stronger impact on high-end homes, compared to other regions," said SLP International executive director Nicholas Mak.

DTZ's South-east Asia regional head of research, Lee Lay Keng, added: "It's quite obvious that the price drop for CCR was just after the additional buyer's stamp duty (ABSD) was introduced in Q4 2011. "Prices in OCR and RCR continued to go up even after ABSD took effect. The new launches did quite well, and Singaporeans and PRs continued buying in these regions, which could explain why prices in these areas held up better - that is, until the TDSR (total debt servicing ratio) kicked in from July 2013."

The TDSR framework caps borrowers' total monthly debt at 60 per cent of their gross monthly income to encourage financial prudence.

Ku Swee Yong, chief executive of Century 21 Singapore and the KEO of International Property Advisor, said some HDB upgraders could afford to pay more for OCR condos in 2012 and 2013 because they were using profit from reselling their public flats. "HDB resale prices went up 100 per cent between 2007 and 2013," he said.

Meanwhile, the "punitive" ABSD policy impacted foreigners the hardest, at first requiring them to pay 10 per cent stamp duties on any residential property they buy, and now 15 per cent.

"It is artificial. In a normal market without these policy measures coming into play, we wouldn't have this shrinking price gap," he said.

HSR's research found that since 2007, foreign buyers have made up an average of 47 per cent of yearly transactions in the city area, compared to 34 per cent in the city fringe and 31 per cent in the suburbs. The city area houses the largest proportion of freehold investment grade properties.

"At the peak of the gap in Q4 2011, non-Singaporeans represented 61 per cent of the total secondary transactions for non-landed properties in CCR, compared to 35 per cent in Q1 2014," it said.

Its regression analysis also found a high correlation between the percentage of foreign buyers and the price gaps between CCR versus RCR/OCR. "In other words, the higher the percentage of non-Singaporean buyers, the higher the gap is," it said.

Bernard Tong, HSR's head of operations, said it is likely that foreigners are more willing to pay more, and are less sensitive to prices, when buying homes in premium city locations for accessibility and proximity to the business district.

HSR expects the gap to keep shrinking by another S$50-S$100 psf as property prices continue to fall. But other analysts say that the price gap cannot keep narrowing.

Mr Mak said: "Chances are it will continue to narrow for the next six to 12 months, but there will be a natural resistance against narrowing any further, especially between prices in CCR and OCR.

"It's like magnets of like poles; prices in the city fringe and suburbs cannot get too close to city condo prices. It will come to a point where it doesn't make sense, where the owners of CCR homes won't want to lower prices anymore. Meanwhile, TDSR will be crucial in preventing OCR prices from rising too much, because buyers of OCR condos tend more to be owner occupiers and are not that cash rich."

Asked if the fact that prices of city condos falling faster than other regions will drive buyers to city fringe and suburban condos instead, DTZ's Ms Lee replied that it can cut both ways.

"If it will already cost me this amount to buy an OCR/RCR condo, why not spend a bit more to buy a CCR condo if I can afford it? It really depends on the buyer's profile and intentions. Not everyone buys for investment."

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo33 View Post
    Please stop wasting your time trying to operate multiple forum account to troll around in this forum, because sooner or later you are going to reveal your truth self and
    you are going to get busted. I mean, you only have one childish brain, how do you expect to pretend to be a matured adult?
    no one is wasting time except troll33. one one is claiming to be a mature adult except troll33. no one, repeat no one.