Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furniture for tenants

Default Furniture for tenants

Would like to ask experienced landlords where do you guys and gals buy your furniture for yr rental property? R tenants fussy about them or it is better to rent out unfurnished?

Ikea

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs View Post
    Ikea
    Thanks....but my friend once told me of an incident whereby a small child climbed atop an Ikea cupboard and it toppled and hurt him, so a bit wary of that aspect....maybe just avoid buying cabinets and cupboards but can consider for other things...

Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    Would like to ask experienced landlords where do you guys and gals buy your furniture for yr rental property? R tenants fussy about them or it is better to rent out unfurnished?

Dear mummy

buy display set

can get up to 50% discount

Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    Dear mummy

buy display set

Good suggestion....

Also just got a flyer advertising expo sales soon...24 inch tv set Phillips only $98 but only 30 sets a day...

Actually the type of furniture also depends on the condo which is being rented out. If high end condo - I would not put in IKEA gears as the profile of tenants might not appreciate such furniture.

I will not go for fully furnish if my unit is leasing for the first time. Just install some nice light fittings and good curtains to attract tenants.

Good suggestion....

Also just got a flyer advertising expo sales soon...24 inch tv set Phillips only $98 but only 30 sets a day...
    don't be stingy with the TV. if yours is a studio. the male tenant might be impress with a big ass TV. so don't stinge on it.
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    don't be stingy with the TV. if yours is a studio. the male tenant might be impress with a big ass TV. so don't stinge on it.
    Dear mummy

I agreed with minority

TV don't stinge on it and the other is Sofa and Dining set
    if possible get a 50" smart tv

for a display set you will be surprised at the price

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    Agree. But tenants don't usually pay more even if you have spurged to buy.

My tenants...if got crt tv they ask for flat screen TV.
    If flat screen they want bigger screen.
    If bigger screen they ask for even bigger screen. Best if the tv is as big as the whole freaking wall.
    If dumb tv they ask for smart tv.

So I rather start small.
    Last edited by Yuki; 17-10-14 at 17:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    Dear mummy

buy display set

Don't buy too "log" one coz the contract usually states that owner to fix or replace within 1 or 3 months. Do check your terms of contract.

Be a GOOD Landlord

where tenant will be proud to show to his/her friends the house

Be in a position where you can choose your tenant and not in a position where you have to go after tenant

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    Don't buy too "log" one coz the contract usually states that owner to fix or replace within 1 or 3 months. Do check your terms of contract.
    Of course la ....hahaha
    Display set also get quite new one and can buy with Warranty too

As a Landlord,

you want to impress potential tenant coming in to view your unit

Ask the tenant what they want, than advise them the cost will be pro-rate in the event they terminate the lease earlier.

Have the same experience, tenant want fully furnish, than terminate earlier and the next tenant don't want some of the furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Ask the tenant what they want, than advise them the cost will be pro-rate in the event they terminate the lease earlier.

Have the same experience, tenant want fully furnish, than terminate earlier and the next tenant don't want some of the furniture.
    What did you do with the unwanted furniture then?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
    Agree. But tenants don't usually pay more even if you have spurged to buy.

My tenants...if got crt tv they ask for flat screen TV.
    If flat screen they want bigger screen.
    If bigger screen they ask for even bigger screen. Best if the tv is as big as the whole freaking wall.
    If dumb tv they ask for smart tv.

So I rather start small.
    Ha ha....so did you accede to their requests?

What did you do with the unwanted furniture then?
    My Agent suggest I store it in the self storage, I ask him how much for one year storage. He told me about SGD 1,000. I ask him to throw away instead, lucky the mover do it for free otherwise still need to pay for mover.

My Agent suggest I store it in the self storage, I ask him how much for one year storage. He told me about SGD 1,000. I ask him to throw away instead, lucky the mover do it for free otherwise still need to pay for mover.
    That is so wasted....how does one prorate the contract for furniture then?

Ha ha....so did you accede to their requests?
    Do your best

if tenant request for something which I do not have
    then fair enough can give them a budget they go buy it

if want to change this and that then get agent to look for the next in line

well that's me

like I have said

choose tenant and not go after tenant

That is so wasted....how does one prorate the contract for furniture then?
    Tenants agree to reimburse prorate SGD xxxx in the event of early termination of lease.

Tenants agree to reimburse prorate SGD xxxx in the event of early termination of lease.
    Is this a common and acceptable practice? Will tenants accept it? How much did you ask for to be prorated and what does it include? Thanks for this useful advice...

Difficult to make such request in this bear rental market. Tenants call the shot. It is already a blessing if you can find a good tenant who looks after your place and pay rent on time.

You never try, you never know.

As spoken on 27 Feb, this email is to inform and confirm that tenant would like to request for early termination of lease, with last day being 31 May 2013. We are hereby serving more than 2 months advance notice to landlord.

Tenant is agreeable to reimburse the prorated agency commission to landlord, calculation as follow:

Unfulfilled period = 8 months
    Amt to reimburse = $4100 / 24 x 8 mths = $1366.67

Kindly confirm landlord's agreement to the above. You may start marketing 2 months in advance (as per TA) and tenant will cooperate for viewings.

Have seen desperate owners of newly TOP units trying to undercut to have good tenants even during bull market. These group of people are probably living off the rental income. Just concern of bad debt incurred from tenants.
    You never try, you never know.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Did you ask tenant to reimburse pro-rated agent fee if they terminate early? This is very common actually (but agents won't volunteer to tell you & standard TA agreement do not contain this clause), so landlords have to learn to protect themselves by adding such clause into the TA contract. I always change & add TA contracts provided by tenant's agent to protect my own interests.

I can see that this Furniture pro-rated reimbursement is the same. if tenants don't accept pro-rate reimbursement for furniture they wanted means they are not reasonable, better skip than to have more headache later..........

Is this a common and acceptable practice? Will tenants accept it? How much did you ask for to be prorated and what does it include? Thanks for this useful advice...

What r the furniture that tenants usually prefer to get on their own? Sofa, dining set, mattress, TV?

For my previous ang mo tenant (2yrs contract), he wanted classic big sofa so asked me to remove my sofa so he can purchase himself. My contract agreement to him was left the sofa for me upon exist .

For current tenant (2yrs contract), HR requested few home appliances like vacuum cleaner, iron, iron board, new mattress & pillow cover and 4x fans for all rooms for their FT tenant. My contract agreement to the HR was to increase 100 on top of the agreed monthly rental fee and all appliances have to leave behind upon exist too .

btw, both are company listed tenancy !
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Quote Originally Posted by CondoWE View Post
    For my previous ang mo tenant (2yrs contract), he wanted classic big sofa so asked me to remove my sofa so he can purchase himself. My contract agreement to him was left the sofa for me upon exist .

For current tenant (2yrs contract), HR requested few home appliances like vacuum cleaner, iron, iron board, new mattress & pillow cover and 4x fans for all rooms for their FT tenant. My contract agreement to the HR was to increase 100 on top of the agreed monthly rental fee and all appliances have to leave behind upon exist too .

btw, both are company listed tenancy !
    Thanks for sharing...just curious which condos are u vested in other than Sea Esta?

Thanks for sharing...just curious which condos are u vested in other than Sea Esta?
    haha..vested a few pc beside SE, mainly located at west, east and north...!
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"