Thread: Late payments by tenants

Default Late payments by tenants

Just like to ask experienced landlords what do you do in such situation? Does the agent chase for you or you have to do it yourself? R we allowed to terminate tenancy and forfeit the security deposit if they do not pay after how many months? My draft tenancy agrement is very vague on this...

I thought standard tenancy agreement should be quite clear on delay in payment. AGent cannot be your debt collector.
    Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    Just like to ask experienced landlords what do you do in such situation? Does the agent chase for you or you have to do it yourself? R we allowed to terminate tenancy and forfeit the security deposit if they do not pay after how many months? My draft tenancy agrement is very vague on this...

It says 'if the rent hereby reserved shall not be paid for 7 days after its due date or if there shall be a breach of any of the conditions, covenants or stipulations on the part of the Tenant herein contained, the Landlord shall be entitled to re-enter upon the said premises and thereupon this tenancy shall immediately absolutely determine but without prejudice to any right of action of the Landlord for damage or otherwise in respect of any such breach or any antecedent breach.'

Does that mean we can terminate the lease and forfeit the security deposit if they do not pay on time?

Quote Originally Posted by mummy View Post
    I had to send this once. Got the payment the next day:

I am writing to inform you that I have not received your monthly rent of $XXXX, due on 22nd April 2014, and 20 days overdue. This being payment for the rental of XXXXXX, Singapore XXXX for the period of 22 April to 21 May 2014, as per the tenancy agreement.

Kindly ensure payment is made within 3 days of today. Otherwise, I shall deem it as a default of lessee and proceed to deal with the matter accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by sporadic View Post
    I had to send this once. Got the payment the next day:

I am writing to inform you that I have not received your monthly rent of $XXXX, due on 22nd April 2014, and 20 days overdue. This being payment for the rental of XXXXXX, Singapore XXXX for the period of 22 April to 21 May 2014, as per the tenancy agreement.

Kindly ensure payment is made within 3 days of today. Otherwise, I shall deem it as a default of lessee and proceed to deal with the matter accordingly.
    Thanks for sharing, that was useful...but what if they still do not pay?

Ok, good to know can get police involved but I believe such cases are rare in Sg...