Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Public feedback on short-term stays for private homes

Blue blood

User Info Menu

Default Wanted: Public feedback on short-term stays for private homes

[url]http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wanted-public-feedback-on/1605042.html[/url]

[url]http://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/Surveys/short-term-stay[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princess_morbucks View Post
    [url]http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/wanted-public-feedback-on/1605042.html[/url]

[url]http://www.ura.gov.sg/uol/Surveys/short-term-stay[/url]
    Erection time gimmick ?

Iron Man

User Info Menu

Survey done yesterday...no no for me.
    "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new"

Banned

User Info Menu

yes yes for me

OCR properties going to crash!

User Info Menu

I am afraid your voice may be drown out....

You know why there is that survey?

Because some VERY LOUD minority want to be able to provide very short-term rentals and hence lobby govt and URA to relax the rules on short-term rental in private properties!

I won't be surprise there will be more "YES YES YES!!!" returned in the SURVEY then "NO" because most who don't intent to provide short-term rental don't bother to provide survey.

So, govt and URA needs to know the whole story and grasp the big picture first....

For those looking to rent out their private properties for very short-term rentals, they seem to have no regard to getting MONETARY BENEFITS while passing on the AGONY and ADDITIONAL COSTS to their neighbours.........
    If they want to earn rentals, they should just go and buy hotel rooms to rent or invest in CDL etc which operate hotels! Don't come and tell us that they want to operate their private condos just like hotel rooms! Condos are not suppose to be commercial outfits like hotels and so why should govt allow condos owners to rent out their condos just like hotel rooms?

Furthermore, allowing short-term rentals basically means govt allowing these people not to pay taxes on their rental incomes (because no paper trace and record of such rental income needs to filed with govt vs tenancy agreement that needs to be stamped). Would we honestly expect these landlords to honestly file incomes on such short term rentals? Not sure whether many of people have such intention that is die die cannot have long-term rental which needs TA to be stamped?

Quote Originally Posted by CondoWE View Post
    Survey done yesterday...no no for me.
    Last edited by teddybear; 23rd January 2015 at 09:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    I am afraid your voice may be drown out....

You know why there is that survey?

Because some VERY LOUD minority want to be able to provide very short-term rentals and hence lobby govt and URA to relax the rules on short-term rental in private properties!

I won't be surprise there will be more "YES YES YES!!!" returned in the SURVEY then "NO" because most who don't intent to provide short-term rental don't bother to provide survey.

So, govt and URA needs to know the whole story and grasp the big picture first....

For those looking to rent out their private properties for very short-term rentals, they seem to have no regard to getting MONETARY BENEFITS while passing on the AGONY and ADDITIONAL COSTS to their neighbours.........
    If they want to earn rentals, they should just go and buy hotel rooms to rent or invest in CDL etc which operate hotels! Don't come and tell us that they want to operate their private condos just like hotel rooms! Condos are not suppose to be commercial outfits like hotels and so why should govt allow condos owners to rent out their condos just like hotel rooms?

Furthermore, allowing short-term rentals basically means govt allowing these people not to pay taxes on their rental incomes (because no paper trace and record of such rental income needs to filed with govt vs tenancy agreement that needs to be stamped). Would we honestly expect these landlords to honestly file incomes on such short term rentals? Not sure whether many of people have such intention that is die die cannot have long-term rental which needs TA to be stamped?
    i like to just chip in a little side-track thoughts.
    since the demise of ringgo, teddybear you have been posting more meaningful and constructive comments which i'd learn to appreciate.
    where it used to be full blown showdown what-not, admin's decision has been justified that this forum still can command traffic.

on the topic of short stay, i'm dead against it considering the inconveniences and social ills it may create.
    the potential list is too many to list or even to start off. i will be giving my thoughts in the survey and hope our wise leaders can take a cue.

i know of units that has been vacant for even up to 9 months, the terrible wait for tenants is so agonizing one can easily swayed by thoughts of minimum compensation offered by short stays. that said i would stand firm even if i'm the one being affected

Junior

User Info Menu

Other than the monetary motive, some also argue that allowing short term stay is necessary is spore wants to be truly tourism friendly. I think this argument is flawed because unlike other countries spore is so small & any tourist can go from one end of the island to another is one hour. There is also no lack of hotel amenities. The quality of tourists is also another factor, we want genuine tourists, not economic refugees.

OCR properties going to crash!

User Info Menu

If Singapore wants to be tourist friendly and project better image for tourists, it should ban short-term rentals because those owners of the properties have no means to keep up the hygiene standard compared to hotels/service apartments, especially let tourists see the ugly side of those selfish landlords so keep to milk the tourists and his/her neighbours, and let tourists see the ugly life-style and rude and inconsiderate manners of some local people? What if the tourists get molested or raped or robbed by those fake short-term rental "landlords"?

Even if tourists want cheaper accommodations, there are lots of these around in Singapore, don't need to allow condos to provide short-term rentals.

Quote Originally Posted by august View Post
    Other than the monetary motive, some also argue that allowing short term stay is necessary is spore wants to be truly tourism friendly. I think this argument is flawed because unlike other countries spore is so small & any tourist can go from one end of the island to another is one hour. There is also no lack of hotel amenities. The quality of tourists is also another factor, we want genuine tourists, not economic refugees.

Junior

User Info Menu

We also do not want illegal transient workers! Banned short term renting once and for all!

Junior

User Info Menu

I'm against it.
    The ONLY benefit is monetary for some individuals. Everything else is negative. I can't believe Sporeans have to resort to this for an income. What has this society become ?
    What "improving tourism" nonsense. There are plenty of backpack hotels around. And please this is no "home stay".

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast