Thread: Current Market Rate For Condominium Cleaner / Caretaker Pay

Default Current Market Rate For Condominium Cleaner / Caretaker Pay

Hi

Anyone able to share the typical contract and salary for a cleaner and/or caretaker/cleaner for a small under apartment with 12 levels/35 units and just a basement car park?

What are the working hours? Any with experience of a caretaker/cleaner staying 24 hours?

This is small development with no guard.

On job sites, cleaner working 6 days week/ 6 hours daily is $1100-$1250. MC thinking of upgrading cleaner to 'caretaker' and claim pay of $2000 is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by TABee View Post
    Hi

Anyone able to share the typical contract and salary for a cleaner and/or caretaker/cleaner for a small under apartment with 12 levels/35 units and just a basement car park?

What are the working hours? Any with experience of a caretaker/cleaner staying 24 hours?

This is small development with no guard.

On job sites, cleaner working 6 days week/ 6 hours daily is $1100-$1250. MC thinking of upgrading cleaner to 'caretaker' and claim pay of $2000 is fair.

Is your MC thinking of outsourcing or direct employing the caretaker / cleaner. If former, the price is too low for any contractor to accept. If latter, MC cannot expect the caretaker / cleaner to work 24 hours a day. Have to comply with MOM's laws on working hours, minimum pay, CPF, medical etc.

also violates the Private Security Industry Act.
    Meaning of “security officer”
    13. In this Act, “security officer” means any individual who, for reward, carries out any of the following functions:
    (a)
    patrolling or guarding another person’s property (including cash in transit) by physical means (which may involve the use of patrol dogs) or by electronic means;
    (b)
    keeping the property (including cash in transit) of another person under surveillance, including for the purpose of preventing theft thereof;
    (c)
    acting as a bodyguard or bouncer;
    [24/2010 wef 01/11/2010]
    (d)
    in respect of any public place or other premises and as part of his regular duties, performing any function of screening individuals seeking entry thereto; and
    [24/2010 wef 01/11/2010]
    (e)
    regulating traffic under the Road Traffic Act (Cap. 276).
    [24/2010 wef 01/11/2010]
    No person to be security officer without security officer’s licence
    14.—(1) No person shall —
    (a)
    carry out for reward any function of a security officer; or
    (b)
    advertise, or in any way hold out, that the person carries out or is willing to carry out for reward any function of a security officer,
    except under and in accordance with a security officer’s licence granted under this Act.
    (2) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $10,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both.
    16.—(1) No person shall employ another person as a security officer unless the other person is a licensed security officer.
    (2) Any person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $50,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 2 years or to both.

Thank you very much for the information and feedback.

The plan was to save money and build up a 'nest egg' and sole committee member decided to fire the guard and rely on CCTVs instead. Only 25% of lights were turned on and only 2 taps were open for wiping of vehicles.

The cleaner was hired to perform general tasks like clearing the bin, sweeping and mopping occasionally the common areas. Quality of cleaning is another topic of debate

Over time, as the cleaner was found to be too free (no need to wipe lifts, surfaces, cob webs, etc), cleaner was asked to do simple DIY tasks like reporting faults and changing bulbs. As there was no security, the cleaner was asked to help out to receive guests/lessees/contractors too but there is no registration/record etc of who they are or what vehicles entered the place. When the pool or lift maintenance arrive, the cleaner opens the gate and the certification of work done is signed off later.

An idea was hatched to reclassify this cleaner to 'caretaker' and double the pay. In addition, a hut was planned to be built to allow the upgraded cleaner to sleep in 24 hours.

As this is a small place with no security and little supervision, the cleaner becomes the KING when residents are out working. Cleaner swims and goes through the rubbish which includes personal items like documents and condoms and pads ?. Cleaner sneaks into the utility room to sleep and rents out his own place for survival.

After many years, savings were built up at a cost to the original owner/stayers who expected security and privacy. Wear and tear or annoyances by lessees and guests like swimming in underwear and smoking in common areas are tolerated since there is no security.

Landlords are happy just to be able to collect rent and sell to make some money.

How may landlords and owners work together to have a pleasant environment?

Is it a norm to have caretakers in current Singapore private housing or just commercial buildings?

What are the standard Ts & Cs?

If the sole member gets kickbacks, how to prove?
    Last edited by TABee; 19-06-15 at 13:28.

The days where the guard do 24/7 are over. Need to understand this first before moving forward.

First look at the development and reduce the entrance and exit.

Worst case remove the swimming pool.

Change it to HDB.

Aiyoh... unrealistic to change to HDB and it is expensive to remove the pool.

If we go back to basics, how much is a cleaner paid these days to do roughly the following 4 hours a day:

1. Clear 1 bin
    2. Sweep all corridors, walkways daily
    3. Mop all corridor floors 3 times a week
    4. Clear cob webs on ceiling of common areas
    5. Pick up litter in basement car park and common areas daily
    6. Clean/scrub toilet basin, bowls and scrub walls and floors in pool area
    6. FIRE ESCAPE
    - Sweep thrice a week
    - Wipe railings thrice a week with clean cloth

If 4 hours daily not enough, 6? 8?

Aiyoh... unrealistic to change to HDB and it is expensive to remove the pool.

If we go back to basics, how much is a cleaner paid these days to do roughly the following 4 hours a day:

1. Clear 1 bin
    2. Sweep all corridors, walkways daily
    3. Mop all corridor floors 3 times a week
    4. Clear cob webs on ceiling of common areas
    5. Pick up litter in basement car park and common areas daily
    6. Clean/scrub toilet basin, bowls and scrub walls and floors in pool area
    6. FIRE ESCAPE
    - Sweep thrice a week
    - Wipe railings thrice a week with clean cloth

If 4 hours daily not enough, 6? 8?
    Ask yourself how much will you accept to get paid to do the above and that is the amount you should pay.

Last edited by Arcachon; 20-06-15 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Ask yourself how much will you accept to get paid to do the above and that is the amount you should pay.

Arcachon, FWs are happy to help Town Council clean for about 800? Advertisements I see quoted S$1,000 - S$1,250 but hazy on responsibilities and leave entitlement.

What is the market rate?

Me? If I love the perks, convenience, people and place, I may do it for S$1K. As I have a bit of education, if there are incentives to do more/better, I would appreciate it to be stated so that I could target the bonus.

Arcachon, FWs are happy to help Town Council clean for about 800? Advertisements I see quoted S$1,000 - S$1,250 but hazy on responsibilities and leave entitlement.

What is the market rate?

Me? If I love the perks, convenience, people and place, I may do it for S$1K. As I have a bit of education, if there are incentives to do more/better, I would appreciate it to be stated so that I could target the bonus.
    The Town Council cost is not only 800, they have to pay other cost.

You can go the legal way or the illegal way.