Thread: Hand-over

Default Hand-over

1) During the last day of the tenancy for hand-over, do I need to be present or leave it for my agent to do it, my agent said that if I don't want to go, never mind, he can handle for me?
    2) Do I do the checking of the unit after the tenant leave (hold their deposit and refund later) or check on the same day of the hand over?
    3) If I have already got a new tenant immediately after the last day of the hand-over, do I still need to clean the house for the new tenant. Actually, I asked the new tenant to come in 2 days later so that I can clean the house.

1) up to you whether you want to go...if there got dispute or issues/disagreement can discuss/resolve on the spot...if you have good agent then can probably leave to him/her
    2) check when tenant is present...got to sign a form for the handover process...once signed cannot (and not fair) to raise anymore issue when tenant is gone...must return deposit within stipulated timeframe mentioned in your contract...if no problem and your tenant is always prompt for rent payment...then will be good manners to return deposit immediately through cheque or internet banking
    3) basic courtesy to arrange for a professional cleaning so your next tenant can move in with peace to a clean and fresh home

hi Irisng

guess you got the answers already.

i recently just took back a unit that has been rented out for 7 years..

i was there at handover...not necessary really as my agent can handle and protects my interests.

out going tenant cleaned up well... so i just locked up just to make sure no dust etc.

but usually as a good practice, do a thorough cleaning , touch up paint if needed, etc.

it will make handing over to new tenant much smoother....

be sure to take back all the appliances manuals....

depending on house type, you might need to change the lock.

for condo ... easier ...

for landed, i always reprogram the digital lock, and change a new pad lock for the rear gate.

Thank you so much for the valuable reply. Normally what are the things to check during the handover? If the new tenant doesn't want some of the furnitures eg bed or dining tables and chairs, how do you all dispose off?

If you find that your solid surface top is stained with curry or other marks, do you just leave it, clean it yourself or get professional to clean, then claim it from the previous tenant?

Thank you, nydeidith and proud owner.

Just to share my experience. I was not there during the hand-over, my agent did everything for me. Though my old tenant had helped to clean up the house, but there were still dust and spiders web all over the place and worst is the curry smell that cannot be removed completely. We did the cleaning ourselves and spent almost 2 days doing up the cleaning. Because of the curry smell, we tried to clean the air-cond using the refresher, hoping that the smell could go away, but we then realised that the air-cond were actually very dirty with lots of dust inside. My agent said that the tenant had given him the bills for the aircond servicing, but why the air-cond were still so dirty. Next come to the curtains, the tenant had left a laundry bill on the table proving that he had sent my curtains to the laundry but when we went there the next day after they left, alamat! all the curtains ( 2 bedrooms & halls) were stained with curry and were so dirty. We had to re-wash again. I just wondered how they took their food, how the curry splashed on the walls and curtains in the 2 bedrooms and halls. But overall, maintenance still quite ok with only these few issues.

Receipts may be fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Forest ang View Post
    Receipts may be fake.
    better to state in contract
    air- con servicing/dry cleaning contractor to be appointed by owner to avoid fakes

Curry stains on the walls n curtains could be caused by kids running around the house during feeding time...

Quote Originally Posted by fiat500 View Post
    Curry stains on the walls n curtains could be caused by kids running around the house during feeding time...

I don't think they have kids but ever saw their parents with them on 2 occassions when we visited them for some issues. Looks like they like to sit on the bed and eat things, maybe that was why rooms curtains also kenna curry stains but funny, how the curry stains till the top of the curtains. During cleaning, I found a piece of nut under the bed in the master bedroom also.

The curry stains could reach till the top of the curtains and right at the bottom corner of the curtains, funny leh. I re-washed the curtains and told my agent about it and he tried to help me to claim $50 from this tenant but the tenant wants a laundry receipt which I could not produce. I told my agent forget about it. Actually, how much does it cost to get the laundry to wash the curtains? My tenant receipt only show $28 which my agent said normally it cost about $100+.

Actually they did take care of my unit quite well except that there it was dusty and dirty with spider webs all over the place and ants at the kitchen. We spent almost 2 days to clean up including cleaning of the aircond too. My agent said that we could get the cleaner to clean up and claim against the tenant, is it true? But will the cleaner clean so thoroughly, there were lots of hidden spider webs and dust under the chairs, beds, electricity closet, beside washing machines, drains under the kitchen cabinets, ceilings etc. This is my first time of the hand-over, is it normal to have such a scene?

Tenants have to handover to you a clean n tidy unit just like when u handed over the unit to them during start of tenancy. Send your curtains for dry cleaning again if it's dirty n hire cleaners to clean up the house if it's dirty. All these could be deducted from the rental deposits. Never returned the rental deposits until everything is settled.
    Your agent should looked after your interest 1st..

Quote Originally Posted by fiat500 View Post
    Tenants have to handover to you a clean n tidy unit just like when u handed over the unit to them during start of tenancy. Send your curtains for dry cleaning again if it's dirty n hire cleaners to clean up the house if it's dirty. All these could be deducted from the rental deposits. Never returned the rental deposits until everything is settled.
    Your agent should looked after your interest 1st..
    Thanks. Agent did advise me to send my curtains for dry cleaning again since the old tenant wants a receipt but I was thinking because the new tenant has already shifted in, so is not so good to remove all the curtains as it will leave the new tenant with no curtains to shield the sun. Anyway I have already passed the money to my agent after deducting the partial agent commission fee for breaking the contract plus replacement of spoilt light bulb and filter. This is my 1st experience of the hand over, hope next time, I know how to handle it better.