Thread: Efforts to cool housing have paid off, says Khaw

Default Efforts to cool housing have paid off, says Khaw

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/gove...-off-says-khaw

Efforts to cool housing have paid off, says Khaw

Aug 15, 2015

EFFORTS in the past four years to rebalance the property market have paid off and it is "a lot cooler now", National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said on Friday.

Reporters had asked him, at the press conference to introduce two new faces running for PAP seats in Sembawang GRC, whether he thought he had managed to assuage voters' disatisfaction over housing issues, which had come to the fore in the 2011 general election.

He replied: "At that time, the balance between buyers and sellers, the balance between supply and demand, were rather lopsided, so my efforts during the last four years was to work towards rebalancing; I think today, we have achieved a much fairer balance between sellers and buyers."

He added that when he first met his Ministry of National Development (MND) colleagues, he had rallied them into creating a soft landing for the housing market in four years. "So two years ago, when prices began to peak and then come down - believe me - I was one of the most relieved," he said, recalling the many walks in Sembawang Park he took with his wife when he was stressed by housing issues.

But he emphasised that conditions could change because Singapore's small economy was plugged into the global one. "A soft landing benefits all - allows all players, buyers or sellers, to make adjustments. But a hard landing doesn't benefit anyone."

Asked if he would volunteer to take over the transport portfolio, with Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew stepping down, Mr Khaw laughed and quipped, in a reference to the challenging job: "I think I've made enough trips to Sembawang Park. I cannot be camping there the whole day."

Default Housing market much cooler: Khaw

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ch-cooler-khaw

Housing market much cooler: Khaw

Aug 15, 2015

Wong Siew Ying

The hot housing market that was such an issue in the 2011 election is much cooler now, said National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan, expressing relief that the measures put in place have paid off.

"What I shared at my first meeting with my MND (Ministry of National Development) colleagues was, let us try hard to achieve a soft landing of the housing market within four years," he said yesterday at an event to introduce the People's Action Party's election line-up for Sembawang GRC.

"Two years ago when prices began to peak and then began to come down, believe me, I was one of the most relieved."

Mr Khaw had taken over the difficult portfolio after the previous election. In the last few years, the Government rolled out a slew of measures to cool the property market, including the additional levy and loan curbs such as the Additional Buyer's Stamp Duty and the Total Debt Servicing Ratio Framework.

It also ramped up the supply of new HDB flats in recent years.

However, Mr Khaw said that the Government would continue to monitor the situation and external environment closely as a soft landing "may suddenly become a hard landing".

There may also be a different housing election issue brewing.

Mr Khaw was asked yesterday if the defects in new flats might crop up as an issue in the coming general election.

Gripes over poor finishes and fittings at some Design, Build and Sell Scheme (DBSS) flats, such as Trivelis in Clementi and Centrale 8 in Tampines, which were built by private-sector developers, have made headlines this year.

Replying in Mandarin, Mr Khaw said that the issue of defects was a perennial one.

Recent complaints may give the impression that the quality of homes has deteriorated but, Mr Khaw said, this is not the case.

Citing scores under the Construction Quality Assessment System, Mr Khaw said the Housing Board's average score had been improving. It scored close to 90 last year, outperforming even some private homes built by developers.

And he stressed that the Government would continue to assist home owners, even if the flats were built by private developers.

"What is important is that builders and contractors are responsible, and fix areas that are unsatisfactory... You don't have to worry - as long as your demand is reasonable, we will help you."

When you set your mind and heart to do it, noting is impossible.

Well done Cow.

The cow ka ki gong ka ki song..

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Why you say so?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey88 View Post
    The cow ka ki gong ka ki song..

It has over-cooled in actual fact... Upsetting many people in the process as well !

HDB over cooled...
    Private still high for the majority..

For some over cooled, for other just nice.

Cannot image what will happen if they allow me to buy my third PC.

What you said about private still high only true for the OCR private condos lah.........
    OCR private property prices gone up almost 100% since 2009 lows, but only drop like about 5-7% from the peak prices........
    CCR condos only gone up like 50% from 2009 lows, and already drop almost 25% or more from the peak prices.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey88 View Post
    HDB over cooled...
    Private still high for the majority..

Private has to be high otherwise no difference with public housing!
    If cannot afford, just buy HDB 1st n save up or invest your $ for private if die die u want to live in condo.
    Just too bad if u can't afford private, that's the way life is. U have to be smart,bold n working hard for it !
    Last edited by fiat500; 22-08-15 at 17:24.

Not many can accept it.

During my time, only top 5 % go for university study, now 25%.

When some study too much, some cannot think correctly.

Last edited by Arcachon; 22-08-15 at 17:35.

If u don't make it in life in SG barring unforeseen circumstances, u only have yourself to blame!
    Opportunities are given to everyone here, if u don't seize it n act on it, just too bad. No point sitting there n blaming all around u!

Quote Originally Posted by fiat500 View Post
    If cannot afford, just buy HDB 1st n save up or invest your $ for private if die die u want to live in condo.
    Just too bad if u can't afford private, that's the way life is. U have to be smart,bold n working hard for it !
    Agree......

New Private could be had from $9xx psf. (Highpark resi)
    New EC is still relatively affordable at $7xx psf.
    A good upgrade from mature HDBs at $4xx psf.

I think the market currently is quite healthy alr.

Juz my 2cents

For a 1st timer it's always wiser to buy a HDB BTO first at $2xxpsf.
    Then from there Upgrade 5-10yrs later to EC or private.
    The Gap in $ psf is more manageable.

Just my 2cents.

High Park Residences land sales was purchased at about $443 psf ppr.

Assuming that the developers sold at average of $1000 psf ppr, and taking 15% profits, that means construction costs about = $407 psf ppr.

Really, at current high costs climate with expensive manpower, materials due to huge inflation in past 15 years, $407 psf ppr means possibly low quality construction/materials???

Construction costs of CCR luxury condos are estimated to be about $800-1000 psf ppr now.
    OCR to get reasonably quality will need at least $500 psf ppr for construction...................

Furthermore, Minister Khaw said property prices not at the level to remove cooling measures yet.......

Expect resale HDB flats prices and OCR private property prices to drop much more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by eric3417 View Post
    New Private could be had from $9xx psf. (Highpark resi)
    New EC is still relatively affordable at $7xx psf.
    A good upgrade from mature HDBs at $4xx psf.

I think the market currently is quite healthy alr.

Juz my 2cents

If u don't make it in life in SG barring unforeseen circumstances, u only have yourself to blame!
    Opportunities are given to everyone here, if u don't seize it n act on it, just too bad. No point sitting there n blaming all around u!
    http://thewireless.co.nz/articles/th...ord-on-a-plate

2 phrases which i have to constantly remind myself, which i admit, is kind of hard to do
    pride goes before a fall
    there but for the grace of G, go i.

hopeful,
    Don't believe these cartoons lah!

I was told that people like Richard has "GOOD" GENEs!

They will get into "GEP" class first in Singapore, where teacher to student ratio in a class is 1:20 (vs typical ratio of 1:42 in other schools)...........

Then these GEP students, being the BEST of the BEST in Singapore, can DSA and direct entry into BEST IP School even before PSLE results are out, just because they are "GEP students"(!), and hence do not have to compete with other students taking PSLE....

The reasons given by some people is that what they study in GEP classes do not follow PSLE syllabus, so it is NOT FAIR for them to use their PSLE results to compete with other students following PSLE syllabuses strictly in class!
    And furthermore, because these GEP students study so much more and emphasize on "creativity", they are "wholly" educated, unlike other normal class students who just "study"....

The best part of all, through these BEST IP schools which are directly linked to BEST JCs, these GEP students will directly get into these BEST JCs without even taking GCE 'O' levels (and again, do not have to compete with other students taking CE 'O' levels for entry into BEST JCs)!

Hei! What do you expect! What fair competition? How to fairly compete when these GEP students study so much more and emphasize on "creativity" and "wholly" education compared to other secondary school students? Can't compare right?

Anyway, the most important is that these GEP students has "BEST" GENEs in Singapore! They should NOT be subjected to undue stress and unfair competition with the normal students in primary schools and secondary schools!

And you know what? GEP students do not mean they are best in academic results! That is what I was told, since their marks in the GEP selection tests are unknown...... Somebody told me that his kid got into GEP class (of own merit), and 1 day asked the parent why the GEP class got quite a number of students that are so lousy, how they get in? Then later, the kid returned again to say that these students are the "Who's who" kids! Wow! They definitely have "BEST" GENES in Singapore!

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    http://thewireless.co.nz/articles/th...ord-on-a-plate

2 phrases which i have to constantly remind myself, which i admit, is kind of hard to do
    pride goes before a fall
    there but for the grace of G, go i.
    Last edited by teddybear; 24-08-15 at 11:00.

Hi Teddy,

What is the % of the GEP student in 1 year? 10% or 50%?

My kids are not GEP type of students, so we don't bother to even think about it. My relatives kids same also.

The only GEP kid I know of is my daughter Yamaha music classmate. Have been paying attention to her for a few years since we all started the lessons at age 4yrs+. This girl is very bright and really shine among the rest. Speak very confidently and is able to perform in front of all the parents whenever there is a performance. I am very impressed. This student is now in P5 and transferred from St. Nicholas to and GEP school (I think it is NanYang).

My point is those who did well in GEP should be quite smart and the % of student is not very big. So I am amuse by your unhappiness over this GEP program unless I miss out something and I apologize in advance if I do.

Btw, the bright girl's parents are not well off. They can only afford a weekend car. So is this good genes?

Yes, GOOD Genes, not "GOOD" genes..............
    As I said, the kid I knew is very bright, but according to the kid, there are less than bright kids in their class, so the kid questioned.....

And if all GEP kids are so bright, come to think about it, they don't need priority entry into Secondary school and JCs right?
    Why they can't compete based on their OWN merits, ie. use their PSLE results and GCE 'O' levels results to compete fairly for entrance into JCs? Why keep using the same "GEP" sticker to get PRIORITY entry without competition? A "GEP" sticker that was decided based on a "GEP" selection tests whose results nobody know???

Food for thought though, considering the insight I was given by that GEP kid......

Quote Originally Posted by stl67 View Post
    Hi Teddy,

What is the % of the GEP student in 1 year? 10% or 50%?

My kids are not GEP type of students, so we don't bother to even think about it. My relatives kids same also.

The only GEP kid I know of is my daughter Yamaha music classmate. Have been paying attention to her for a few years since we all started the lessons at age 4yrs+. This girl is very bright and really shine among the rest. Speak very confidently and is able to perform in front of all the parents whenever there is a performance. I am very impressed. This student is now in P5 and transferred from St. Nicholas to and GEP school (I think it is NanYang).

My point is those who did well in GEP should be quite smart and the % of student is not very big. So I am amuse by your unhappiness over this GEP program unless I miss out something and I apologize in advance if I do.

Btw, the bright girl's parents are not well off. They can only afford a weekend car. So is this good genes?

Anyone being to NUS High Open house.

2006 my son took the entrance exam at one of the three center.

Each center have about 500 student from all the school in Singapore.

From the 1500 student, 400 selected for the 3 days Math and Science camp.

They are taught Math and Science and at the end of the day, the student have to give a presentation.

From this 400 student 180 student is selected.

Each year NUS high intake is 200, 20 is selected from the Top PSLE.

The student only have 4 days of lesson a week and Friday is project day.

Those student who excel in Math and Science, a professor from NUS is attached to them as mentor.

Parents who bother to find out more get the most for their child, those who don't bother get the least.

I thought I have given my child the best, I was surprise during the Open House what other parent did for their child.

My Son did not get into NUS High from the 400 to 180 selection, he went Duman High though DSA.

Three month in Duman High, I bring him to France and he cry.

My heart pain when I think of it but I know he can do better.

6 years later he completed his French secondary education in 5 years, do his 2 years NS and now studying at SMU.

I also not have "GOOD" genes. Fail my O level English three time.

http://www.nushigh.edu.sg/

They don't take O Level and A level, their Diploma can go NUS.

2006 Singapore have 5 school that don't take O level and 1 don't take A level.

One of the parent ask the principal whether they can take private O level.

The principal reply "I think from now onward student don't like to show their O level result, if you take O level then you are not there."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE LYCEE FRANCOIS MAGENDIE is a state high school located in the the Bordeaux city centre.
    - It is composed of about 150 personnel (managerial, teaching, health, maintenance and administration staff) and provides education for nearly 1100 pupils in 33 classes.
    - Headmaster : Jean Paul RICHARD
    - Deputy head : Catherine BIDEAULT
    - Bursar/accountant : Anne-Marie PEREZ
    A comprehensive school : (5th, 6th and upper 6th forms) leading to the Baccalauréat général (A LEVELS) :

*L : literary section. *ES : Economics . *S : Sciences.

Magendie is also an international school : the OIB sections (Option Internationale au Baccalauréat) :

- 2 international sections (American and Spanish.)

- 2 European sections (English and Italian)

A vocational school :

5th, 6th and upper 6th forms leading to a Baccalauréat technologique STI (GNVQ in Applied Arts).

- A level education

With a first and second year leading to a Brevet de technicien supérieur ACI (Assistant in industrial creation)
    Languages

A wide range of foreign languages are taught : (English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese and Hebrew).

More Information...

Differences between the European English Section and the International American Section

- The European English Section, as its name implies, is closer to the French way of teaching foreign languages. The English language is studied methodically, rigorously and analytically.
    This section is aimed at pupils whose command of English is good without necessarily being native speakers.
    It prepares them for the French Baccalauréat specifying « Mention Européenne » on the certificate if the candidate obtains a mark of 12 or more out of 20 in the written English exam together with a mark of 10 out of 20 in the oral exam. The latter lasts 30 minutes, testing command of the spoken language and knowledge of History and Geography in the « L » (Literature) and « ES » (Economics) sections or Mathematics in the « S » (Science) section.
    - Timetable

The timetable and syllabus of the European Section are similar to those of the regular French sections. The main difference is that in the first year History and Geography are partly taught in the English language and there is an extra hour of English literature.
    *In the second and third years pupils have 1.5 hours extra of History and Geography (« L » and « ES ») or 1.5 hours extra of Mathematics (« S »).

*In the first year, the students sit for the CEC organized by the Ministry of Education, (ranked level B1)

*Pupils may also prepare the FCE (First Certificate Exam) from Cambridge ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages), an upper-intermediate level (ranked level B2, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or « CEFR »).

- ACCOMMODATION and SCHOOL LUNCHES

Lunches are available on the premises. The lunch cost is set at every term and payable in advance : - for 5 days a week : 476,00 Euros - for 4 days a week : 405.88 Euros

payable each period : January - March 146,88 (5 days) 125,56 (4 days)

April - June 133.28 (5 days) 110.96(4 days)

September - December 195.84 (5 days) 169.36 (4 days)

FULL BOARDING

The boarders are housed at Lycée Toulouse Lautrec, 115 rue Abria in Bordeaux.

Only 100 students can be accommodated, 75 female and 25 male boarders.

Only Applied Arts and OIB students can apply.

The assignment depends on their family location and situation.

The boarding is closed on weekends, on bank holidays and school holidays.

The enrolment is yearly with a fixed fee each term in advance.

The annual cost of boarding for the 2012 school year is 1436.75 Euros, payable each period :
    • January - March 443,34 • April - June 402.29 • September - December 591,12

- Lycée François Magendie
    10 rue des Treuils
    BP 12
    33 023 BORDEAUX

- phone : 05 57 81 61 50

- Fax : 05 57 81 61 58

- Em@il : [email protected]
    Last edited by Arcachon; 24-08-15 at 13:13.

Ok.. I agree the Sticker should not be guaranteed pass. There must be an elimination in process.

Don't agree, when you are there, you are there. Too many elimination result in waste of resources.

When you meet one who is there, you will know what I mean.

How do you know one is there based on a Primary 3 "GEP" selection test?

Like that Thomas Edison will go to 8-year Monolingual school in Singapore... and he will end up as a cleaner?????

The world will still be in DARKNESS as there will be No light bulb and No General Electric Corporation in this world!

And it is not like these GEP students never take PSLE exams.........
    And they are so "smart" to introduce IP program where these students don't need to take GCE 'O' levels (so that they can claim that since they don't take GCE 'O' levels they can't be compared to other normal students who took GCE 'O' levels in order to gain entrance into those BEST JCs)............

Sounds very much like the "White Horse" system in the ARMY where the "WH" gets special treatment right???

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Don't agree, when you are there, you are there. Too many elimination result in waste of resources.

When you meet one who is there, you will know what I mean.
    Last edited by teddybear; 24-08-15 at 14:22.

Any comments on the recent plunging stock market and its effect on the bargaining power of property buyers? Any chance for another round of relaunches at lower prices?

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop View Post
    Any comments on the recent plunging stock market and its effect on the bargaining power of property buyers? Any chance for another round of relaunches at lower prices?
    I wait for 'water shed' after GE.

Whether 'water' 'shed' from multiple property owners' eyes or;
    'Water' 'shed' from us totally touched by easing of CM.

There is a way to please both new buyers and aspiring multi prop owners.

1. First time pvt property buyers must dispose of their HDB within 6 months of collecting keys (or show evidence of firm sale). Aspiration to upgrade met.

2. Abort ABSD for multi prop owners. TDSR to allow only 50% (instead of 70%) of rental income considered. Restrictive ABSD gone.
    Last edited by mcmlxxvi; 24-08-15 at 16:44.
    click: 🏢shoeboxmickeymousehouse 🏢

Hopefully they will reduce ABSD soon.