Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore election 2015

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalk View Post
    Victor,

It would be sad if the PAP loses East Coast GRC. Gerald Giam, a new candidate in 2011, hit the jackpot on his first try and became an NMP. Are we going to give easy victory again to these unknown candidates on a silver platter? We don't even know if these new candidates have their hearts in the right places. They don't even bother to visit or get to know us but they want to represent our views in parliament.

I heard the bookies are expecting a WP win in East Coast GRC. If this becomes true, then two hardworking ministers would be kicked out by these new, unknown and untested candidates.

It seems so unfair as these two ministers have been actively walking the grounds and taking part in community activities. Even our PM LHL came by in 2013 and planted a tree.

The minister in charge of my area is friendly and approachable. I once emailed him about a clogged drain on vacant land. I was surprised to receive a prompt reply and fast action was taken to sweep the leaves and cleared the drain.

Last Sunday the minister came by our area again and walked past by our house. He has lost a lot of weight and his voice was coarse from too much talking. He has put in a lot of effort and put up a good fight. It would be a shame if all the hard work were to go down the drain. How do you think he would feel?

This morning I was at the market and asked the coffee lady, also a east Coast GRC voter, which party is she supporting. She told me that PAP will surely win the election, so she will give her vote to the opposition. Of course I talked to her and advised her to reconsider her decision.

unfortunately this is politics ...

the same can be said about good and hard working non-PAP workers...

i know how u feel if they lose these 2 whom you feel are good and hard working ...

what about those who do nothing ? and still get in becos of GRC .. ?

2 out of 4 are good ... and they deserve to be voted in ... but arent the other 2 uselss ones get in 'by default'?

in every winning, there will be celebration for one party and not the other ...

regardless who wins ... we only pray that they deliver ...

Even in the eighties, freehold land wasn't worth a lot. I knew a family who gave up 50,000 sq ft of freehold land in quite a good area to a developer
    in exchange for 2 small apartments of less than 1100 sqft on that same piece of land. The documentation wasn't done properly, which led to the developer cheating them. In the end they received only a 99 sq m apartment, after giving up the 50,000 sq ft freehold land.

My late father's land and even his long driveway were acquired by the government for road widening. He wasn't bitter and never complain about the government.

In those days, people just don't value land as much, maybe because it was cheap.
    Right, during that time, my father sold a landed property in Hougang for only $70,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    amend

should read as

can forgive but not easy to forget
    You are right, it is very difficult to forgive and forget at the same time unless a person lost his/her memory.

Just wonder will anyone able to forget and forgive your very very very close relative "steal" your money (few thousand dollars) during your children's happy occasion. Her tactics was very special, nobody believe that she would use such a tactic, but the truth is truth as I have evidence from my guests. I'm very disappointed with her character more than monetary lost. We trusted her so much and she did that to us. If she didn't do it, why is she trying to avoid us? I have not seen her for almost a year which we used to see each other every week previously. I have been dreaming that I have patched up with her on few occasions, I tried to call her initially but she ignored my phone. Isn't she is guilty about it?

Victor,

It would be sad if the PAP loses East Coast GRC. Gerald Giam, a new candidate in 2011, hit the jackpot on his first try and became an NMP. Are we going to give easy victory again to these unknown candidates on a silver platter? We don't even know if these new candidates have their hearts in the right places. They don't even bother to visit or get to know us but they want to represent our views in parliament.

I heard the bookies are expecting a WP win in East Coast GRC. If this becomes true, then two hardworking ministers would be kicked out by these new, unknown and untested candidates.

It seems so unfair as these two ministers have been actively walking the grounds and taking part in community activities. Even our PM LHL came by in 2013 and planted a tree.

The minister in charge of my area is friendly and approachable. I once emailed him about a clogged drain on vacant land. I was surprised to receive a prompt reply and fast action was taken to sweep the leaves and cleared the drain.
    Right, one of the opposition even said, they have no intention to take over the government. What actually does that mean, is it mean that they just want to sit inside the parliament, occasionally object to what PAP suggests, get their salary and a day is gone. I have seen one of the video from SDP, he said MP salary is about $10k a month, wake up in the morning, took their breakfast, go to the office, clear some work, afternoon go and play golf, at night go back for dinner, then that call it a day. So what is the actual intention of the opposition, nobody knows except they themselves know.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

What you said is immaterial and irrelevant to the issues I mentioned for "Compulsory Land Acquisition" because there are 2 factors here:

1) People don't want to sell, but are forced to do so under a law called "Compulsory Land Acquisition Act" introduced by Lee Kuan Yew.

2) The compensation is significantly below market rate at the time the PAP Government forcibly took over other people's land.

Even in the eighties, freehold land wasn't worth a lot. I knew a family who gave up 50,000 sq ft of freehold land in quite a good area to a developer
    in exchange for 2 small apartments of less than 1100 sqft on that same piece of land. The documentation wasn't done properly, which led to the developer cheating them. In the end they received only a 99 sq m apartment, after giving up the 50,000 sq ft freehold land.

My late father's land and even his long driveway were acquired by the government for road widening. He wasn't bitter and never complain about the government.

In those days, people just don't value land as much, maybe because it was cheap.

Right, but as you said, your father willingly sold his landed property, NOT FORCED to sell his property, that is 2 different story.

You know where in the world people are forced to give up their land forcibly by the Government?
    Only in Communist country like China (which I heard of), and the other place is Singapore.

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    Right, during that time, my father sold a landed property in Hougang for only $70,000.

Please vote for any party or any individual other than PAP if you are being forced to sell your land.

Please vote for PAP instead of any other party or any other individual if you have benefitted from the residential/commercial/industrial/recreational/transportation infrastructure(s) built on this land.

Btw, can vote in China? Rhetorical question. No need to answer.

This morning I was at the market and asked the coffee lady, also a east Coast GRC voter, which party is she supporting. She told me that PAP will surely win the election, so she will give her vote to the opposition.
    UNQUOTE

Sadly, this is the level of maturity of some voters.

Btw, have anyone ever heard of Hougang voter said WP will surely win the election, so he/she will give his/her vote to PAP?

If yes, it underlines the level of maturity of some voters.

If no, why the bias and discrimination?

Either way, checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    unfortunately this is politics ...

the same can be said about good and hard working non-PAP workers...

i know how u feel if they lose these 2 whom you feel are good and hard working ...

what about those who do nothing ? and still get in becos of GRC .. ?

2 out of 4 are good ... and they deserve to be voted in ... but arent the other 2 uselss ones get in 'by default'?

in every winning, there will be celebration for one party and not the other ...

regardless who wins ... we only pray that they deliver ...
    Untested party are dangerous to the country and economy. I only believe in proven records. Some people may say nevermind vote opposition in but by the time they know is a mistake that they voted wrongly, a generation of effort is gone. Life won't be kind enough to give Singapore a second chance. Malaysia in north and indonesia in south r like tiger and lion. Only if our Singapore can continue to progress and prosper if not they will not even give a damn on us.

Look at opposition suggestions: scrap or cut down NS time, no psle etc???? I think govt has given us more chances to prove ourselves and move up. There are 5 universities, 5 polytechnics etc, i remember last time only two university and two polytechnic, ntu is not known as ntu also.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Don't bullshit lah.

Depreciate in price is accounting jargon,
    like we have machinery that has depreciated to ZERO but are able to manufacture lots of products to allow us to make lots of money!
    The same is true for the Town Council software sold to AIM!

If no value can give free to WP AHPETC, They want it very much! Even sell them for 10x more than what AIM paid WP also very willing!

You want to fool who?

No wonder, crook like you will do such thing to deceive the ignorant people!
    oh really can I sell you my iPhone 1 for $1200? Coz thats what its worth when I bought it!! I am sure many bros here want to sell all their old technology junk to you at the price they paid 4-5 yrs ago.!

DONT COME BULLSHIT AND LIE LAH!
    “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”
    ― Martin Luther King, Jr.

OUT WITH THE SHIT TRASH

https://www.facebook.com/shutdowntrs

Vote Dr Chee, vote SDP.

Quote Originally Posted by august View Post
    Vote Dr Chee, vote SDP.
    No campaigning friend.

You can express your opinions in the passive form.
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Wow, our coffee lady also so smart now!

they have heard too much of fear mongering about how Singapore will collapse if they don't vote PAP, ha ha ha!

PAP and their die-hard supporters say too much about "Wolf is here" liao that is why their reputation got dented?

Only those with limited wisdom and maturity will question other people's maturity when their opinions are different......

Let me predict: Come 12 Sep 2015 early morning, PAP will get >60% of the total votes and still get >75 PAP MPs out of 89 seats elected into Parliament, and they can still wayang as they like..............
    Hope Charles Chong is not in there.............

Quote Originally Posted by MrTan View Post
    This morning I was at the market and asked the coffee lady, also a east Coast GRC voter, which party is she supporting. She told me that PAP will surely win the election, so she will give her vote to the opposition.
    UNQUOTE

Sadly, this is the level of maturity of some voters.

Btw, have anyone ever heard of Hougang voter said WP will surely win the election, so he/she will give his/her vote to PAP?

minority,
    Almost every one here also know you are the biggest liar here, need us say more????

Quote Originally Posted by minority View Post
    oh really can I sell you my iPhone 1 for $1200? Coz thats what its worth when I bought it!! I am sure many bros here want to sell all their old technology junk to you at the price they paid 4-5 yrs ago.!

DONT COME BULLSHIT AND LIE LAH!

Pot calling kettle black

George Yeo: Voting is not only a right, it is also a duty

Whatever the election outcome on Friday night, an uncertain new chapter opens for Singapore. Whatever our divisions, we have to reconcile as fellow citizens respecting differences of views.

True unity is based on diversity not conformity. We have to open our hearts more to others especially those in need. The government we elect must not only be with us and for us, it must also be of us.

Voting is not only a right, it is also a duty.

In exercising this right and discharging our duty, we become full citizens and masters of our own destiny.

Majulah Singapura.

Very well said

my prediction : Aljunied - PAP win
    East coast - PAP win
    Holland - SDP win
    This time WP will lose big tme. They too arragont

Quote Originally Posted by ay123 View Post
    East coast - PAP win
    Holland - SDP win

Read somewhere that bookie giving handicap for a WP win in

Aljunied - 8000 votes handicap
    EC - 3000 votes handicap
    MP - 2000 votes handicap

East coast - PAP win
    Holland - SDP win
    2days ago odd for Holland Bt Timah

SDP to lose garnering 41%

do not have the latest prediction

Has some one broken the Cooling Day Law ?

East coast - PAP win
    Holland - SDP win
    my prediction:
    Aljunied - WP win
    East Coast - WP win
    Fengshan - WP win
    Holland - PAP win

Quote Originally Posted by MrTan View Post
    Please vote for any party or any individual other than PAP if you are being forced to sell your land.

Please vote for PAP instead of any other party or any other individual if you have benefitted from the residential/commercial/industrial/recreational/transportation infrastructure(s) built on this land.

Btw, can vote in China? Rhetorical question. No need to answer.
    But some people benefited from PAP and yet forgotten about their good after everything is over. I know of someone, can't really remember exactly what happened during that time but I think is something like her mother (for certain reason) committed suicide, PAP visited her family. Her new house came but she had problem in selling her house within the stipulated period, her MP helped her to extent the selling period. Hers is a special case because of her family background. Then this morning, received a call from her asking me who to vote, she said her MP (PAP) no good,

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    You know where in the world people are forced to give up their land forcibly by the Government?
    Only in Communist country like China (which I heard of), and the other place is Singapore.
    Is our Singapore Government still doing the same thing now, forcing people to sell their lands or is it that forcing people to sell the lands happened only during the time when Singapore was still "nobody child". I think sometimes for the development of the country, they have no choice.

Isn't Rochor Centre has to give way to the government to build highway for the development of the country. Lots of people are not willing to shift but no choice also. But they do get compensation, though to some people, the compensation that they received is not enough but to others, it is more than enough, so it depends on individual.

Talking

Is our Singapore Government still doing the same thing now, forcing people to sell their lands or is it that forcing people to sell the lands happened only during the time when Singapore was still "nobody child". I think sometimes for the development of the country, they have no choice.

Isn't Rochor Centre has to give way to the government to build highway for the development of the country. Lots of people are not willing to shift but no choice also. But they do get compensation, though to some people, the compensation that they received is not enough but to others, it is more than enough, so it depends on individual.
    The key point is market price.

Acquisition at market price.

Therefore, is based on the market value at the point of sales. Surrounding development prices, unit prices in development, slight premium for longer leases or freehold status...
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

The ruling party in its efforts to ensure continuity in power, meddled with our education system, controlled the civil service and the media over the last 50 years to the extend that the general population trust whatever the media said without questions. We now produce a very disciplined graduates not capable of competing with foreign graduates at the higher level. Our graduates lack critical and lateral thinking not to mention creativity; hence the need to take in foreign talents and entice them to be citizen.

A disciplined and fearful population will ensure the ruling party will continue to be in power for a long long time. However, the advent of the internet and social media have in recent years much affect the game plan of the ruling party. Numerous surveys suggest that more and more educated Singaporeans are in favour of more opposition voices in Parliament for the long term sustainability of our Parliamentary system. Results of past GE confirmed this trend. The well educated and mostly middle and upper middle class are no longer taking what they read in local media at face value. The demand for a more democratic society is happening and GE 2011 was the starting point.

I think you have to face up to the fact:

1) In Rochor Centre case, Singapore Government is now paying market price, as Kelonguni replied. The law has been changed.

2) Before 199x, the payment is significantly below market price (note the word "significantly", or "obscenely").

As to what you said about no choice, should we just free all criminals in the jails because after all most of them committed crimes out of "no choice"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    The key point is market price.

Acquisition at market price.

Therefore, is based on the market value at the point of sales. Surrounding development prices, unit prices in development, slight premium for longer leases or freehold status...

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods View Post
    The ruling party in its efforts to ensure continuity in power, meddled with our education system, controlled the civil service and the media over the last 50 years to the extend that the general population trust whatever the media said without questions. We now produce a very disciplined graduates not capable of competing with foreign graduates at the higher level. Our graduates lack critical and lateral thinking not to mention creativity; hence the need to take in foreign talents and entice them to be citizen.

A disciplined and fearful population will ensure the ruling party will continue to be in power for a long long time. However, the advent of the internet and social media have in recent years much affect the game plan of the ruling party. Numerous surveys suggest that more and more educated Singaporeans are in favour of more opposition voices in Parliament for the long term sustainability of our Parliamentary system. Results of past GE confirmed this trend. The well educated and mostly middle and upper middle class are no longer taking what they read in local media at face value. The demand for a more democratic society is happening and GE 2011 was the starting point.
    As an outsider. I don't understand why u are saying that u cannot achieved your potential is gov fault?

Quote Originally Posted by indomie View Post
    As an outsider. I don't understand why u are saying that u cannot achieved your potential is gov fault?
    It is not about not developing people to their fullest potential.

When the government control academic freedom and the press telling you what you should read and what you should know for 50 years, the graduates the country produces is one who lack critical and lateral thinking at the highest level. These graduates are smart and scores straight "A" mind you. But put them to the test, they cannot compete with the world best.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods View Post
    It is not about not developing people to their fullest potential.

When the government control academic freedom and the press telling you what you should read and what you should know for 50 years, the graduates the country produces is one who lack critical and lateral thinking at the highest level. These graduates are smart and scores straight "A" mind you. But put them to the test, they cannot compete with the world best.
    In my opinion gov play a really insignificant part our life. Maybe my wife nagging is more motivation to drive my success than gov policy. You making it sounds like u are being rape constantly by gov.