Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Singapore election 2015

Quote Originally Posted by indomie View Post
    In my opinion gov play a really insignificant part our life. Maybe my wife nagging is more motivation to drive my success than gov policy. You making it sounds like u are being rape constantly by gov.
    As an Indonesian, you certainly see Singapore as a haven on earth and that I respect. We Singaporeans tend to compare ourselves to the best of the world. That is the standard we expect from ourselves and the government. Do you know that our top 4% of our brains are leaving Singapore?

We remain as polite in our choice of words as well.

In my opinion gov play a really insignificant part our life. Maybe my wife nagging is more motivation to drive my success than gov policy. You making it sounds like u are being rape constantly by gov.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Woods View Post
    As an Indonesian, you certainly see Singapore as a haven on earth and that I respect. We Singaporeans tend to compare ourselves to the best of the world. That is the standard we expect from ourselves and the government. Do you know that our top 4% of our brains are leaving Singapore?

We remain as polite in our choice of words as well.
    Agree with you that your Indonesia government plays an insignificant part of your life. Here in Singapore, the government tends to decide everything for us in our lives. That is not good to a great extend. However, having said that, it is the role of a good government to provide an environment where there is real academic freedom and people can decide for themselves what kind of society they want and not what the government tell you how we should live our lives.

Brother Teddy, Nation before family before self.

Continued success in the face of huge obstacles ahead must never be taken for granted.

The govt then would not have the budget to acquire my ancestral lands. But in place, the family units under my clan were all given huge subsidies to buy HDBs.

Some have made use of it to get even more in life.

It's over, done, concluded. No point still harping on it.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    I think you have to face up to the fact:

1) In Rochor Centre case, Singapore Government is now paying market price, as Kelonguni replied. The law has been changed.

2) Before 199x, the payment is significantly below market price (note the word "significantly", or "obscenely").

As to what you said about no choice, should we just free all criminals in the jails because after all most of them committed crimes out of "no choice"?
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Agree with you that your Indonesia government plays an insignificant part of your life. Here in Singapore, the government tends to decide everything for us in our lives. That is not good to a great extend. However, having said that, it is the role of a good government to provide an environment where there is real academic freedom and people can decide for themselves what kind of society they want and not what the government tell you how we should live our lives.
    Sister amber woods, forgive my choice of words. However, freedom by itself is a meaningless words. Just like how my teenage son often use. From achivements then come more freedom. Not from freedom then u have more achievements.

Sister amber woods, forgive my choice of words. However, freedom by itself is a meaningless words. Just like how my teenage son often use. From achivements then come more freedom. Not from freedom then u have more achievements.
    It is because Singaporeans have achieved these much and now we are turning towards more freedom. This, we have much in common. Maslow Hierarchy of Needs is evident in every human.

It is because Singaporeans have achieved these much and now we are turning towards more freedom. This, we have much in common. Maslow Hierarchy of Needs is evident in every human.
    Actually the solution is quite simple. If u want unstructured education for your children. Just sent them to any 3rd world countries.

Latest predictions

HBT - SDP to win 51% PAP 49%

(a reversal from 2 days ago at PAP 59% SDP 41%)

Certain types of freedom are free and we have them.

Certain types of freedom incur small to medium costs and Singapore definitely excels here as well.

Certain types of freedom are very costly and I am not sure if a tiny red dot like us can afford it. Japan or Greek style of freedom is too risky for us I believe.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Simi View Post
    Latest predictions

Your reversal is very drastic. Kelongism?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Where you get the predictions? Bookie rate?

Where to find Bookie rate?

Latest predictions

All the HDB carpark electronic gantry barriers are up today? Even normal Sundays and public holidays they are down (just lift up and down for passage) with no charge for those car parks with free parking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Your reversal is very drastic. Kelongism?

Where you get the predictions? Bookie rate?

Where to find Bookie rate?

These predictions are from uncles and aunties from coffee shop

go to coffee shop talk to them, got a lot of these type of kangtao

Win for PAP in West Coast and AMK
    64% and 56% resp

this type of coffee shop talk can be quite accurate

Remember 2011 Aljunied ?

I believe PAP will win big in West Coast and Western side of Singapore, including North-West

So, yes, West Coast most likely >64%, AMK high chance >60% (my own prediction) ..........

64% and 56% resp

Remember 2011 Aljunied ?

Whoever wins please give me a Laissez-faire economy... Overregulation kills the economy...

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    Is our Singapore Government still doing the same thing now, forcing people to sell their lands or is it that forcing people to sell the lands happened only during the time when Singapore was still "nobody child". I think sometimes for the development of the country, they have no choice.

Isn't Rochor Centre has to give way to the government to build highway for the development of the country. Lots of people are not willing to shift but no choice also. But they do get compensation, though to some people, the compensation that they received is not enough but to others, it is more than enough, so it depends on individual.

my friend's grandfather was forced to sell his land at 'cents' those day ....govt wanted to build a container park...

that was in the 70's ...

today , the land is still a forest ... the stretch from King Albert park to the nursery on CLementi road ...
    huge land facing Ngee Ann poly...

so forced land acquisition for something that never took place...

The ruling party in its efforts to ensure continuity in power, meddled with our education system, controlled the civil service and the media ....
    A disciplined and fearful population will ensure the ruling party will continue to be in power for a long long time. However, the advent of the internet and social media have in recent years much affect the game plan of the ruling party. Numerous surveys suggest that more and more educated Singaporeans are in favour of more opposition voices in Parliament for the long term sustainability of our Parliamentary system.
    you made it sound like whoevere votes for PAP is either ill informed or in fear, and whoever votes for oppo is better informed and more "educated" ? Haha what's new. So full of yourself: "I know better therefore I vote for oppo". Try just changing that "oppo" word with "PAP", you are the exact person you so eloquently despised just a minute ago.

And they way you say it, as if it is a FACT, not an opinion, and a very biased opinion at it.

Does it ever occur to you, that in this era, EVERYONE is well informed ? Some may be even better informed than you! Ppl all make well informed decision. My decision turns out to be PAP, yours turns out to be oppo. Nothing wrong with that. So drop your righteous tone that only you are properly informed and only you make the right decision.

In a democratic society, the will of the majority prevails. You can say whatever you want, the truth is, there are indeed 60% of ppl who like PAP policies. They are not less informed. They just disagree with you, and they happen to be majority. So minority loses in this democracy , whether you like it or not. Nobody says you are wrong. You are just not the majority, so stop complaining others are "in fear, not well educated"

We can debate policy pitfalls and rights and wrongs and all that. That's healthy debate. But the fact that you think only you "know the truth" is a clear sign that you are just as zealos as those "PAP run dogs" you all like to ridicule at, just from the other side.

So drop all this pretense. Let's talk about the actual policies you disagree with. Instead of " I know better, you are just too stupid to see it". Most of the pro/anti PAP posts earlier in this thread are quite valid, nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    So unfair right ? Yup. What to do. The world is never fair.
    Had the world been fair, 1 MYR should be worth 3 SGD, not the other way round. On what basis can this tiny currency with no hard asset to back up be worth more than a currency which should have all the hard assets (resources) to back up ?
    This world today is a total capitalist world. Taking advantage while you can, whether at a national level, or at international level, is name of the game. PAP is just a pure pragmatic capitalist party. Thank god they are not yet corrupted like the Communist Party of China. As long as this is still the case, ppl will vote for PAP.

It is clear now (in reflection) that the purpose of "Compulsory Land Acquisition" touted for "National Development" is to nationalize most privately owned land in Singapore, rather than for immediate national development.

So, time to nationalize SMRT and ComfortDelgro to improve public transport service?
    This will be for the wholly good of Singapore! (just like "Compulsory Land Acquisition"!)

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    my friend's grandfather was forced to sell his land at 'cents' those day ....govt wanted to build a container park...

that was in the 70's ...

today , the land is still a forest ... the stretch from King Albert park to the nursery on CLementi road ...
    huge land facing Ngee Ann poly...

We must have a macro view of what I said about our local controlled media and the lack of academic freedom. Friends in the media and other foreigner friends living in Singapore confirmed that Singaporeans generally trust what they read from the local newspapers. As we all know, the local media being a controlled media, always present information in a way that you should know and you should believe which over the years form our values and thinking.

However, the advent of the internet allows more Singaporeans to information which give them a different perspective. Many more educated Singaporeans now believe that a one-party system of government is not sustainable in the longer term. Hence, GE 2011 saw the change in political attitude.

Please do not take offend for those who believe that a one-party system of government is good and sustainable. I am merely stating the changing in attitude of Singaporeans as evident from the result of GE 2011.

There was nothing in my message to suggest that our local graduates are inferior. I am merely stating that due to our controlled media and lack of academic freedom over the last 50 years, our local graduates are not able to compete with the best in the world. This is evident by the lack of local talents taking up top management positions in Singapore. The ruling party is well aware of the problem and WP has been advocating for more Singaporeans taking up senior management positions.

Look at the banking industry some 20 years ago. The top management positions are mostly Singaporeans. Today, there just few Singaporeans heading these positions.

What you read on the internet might not be true or with other agendas hidden into it.

We must have a macro view of what I said about our local controlled media and the lack of academic freedom. Friends in the media and other foreigner friends living in Singapore confirmed that Singaporeans generally trust what they read from the local newspapers. As we all know, the local media being a controlled media, always present information in a way that you should know and you should believe which over the years form our values and thinking.

However, the advent of the internet allows more Singaporeans to information which give them a different perspective. Many more educated Singaporeans now believe that a one-party system of government is not sustainable in the longer term. Hence, GE 2011 saw the change in political attitude.

Please do not take offend for those who believe that a one-party system of government is good and sustainable. I am merely stating the changing in attitude of Singaporeans as evident from the result of GE 2011.

There was nothing in my message to suggest that our local graduates are inferior. I am merely stating that due to our controlled media and lack of academic freedom over the last 50 years, our local graduates are not able to compete with the best in the world. This is evident by the lack of local talents taking up top management positions in Singapore. The ruling party is well aware of the problem and WP has been advocating for more Singaporeans taking up senior management positions.

Look at the banking industry some 20 years ago. The top management positions are mostly Singaporeans. Today, there just few Singaporeans heading these positions.

majority has not fire.
    It can be easily observed at pedestrian crossings.
    When there is no car on the road, people still wait for green man to turn on.
    if slight trangression (jaywalking) also dont want to commit with no policemen around, what more can i say?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    majority has not fire.
    It can be easily observed at pedestrian crossings.
    When there is no car on the road, people still wait for green man to turn on.
    if slight trangression (jaywalking) also dont want to commit with no policemen around, what more can i say?
    People wanting to teach their children the right way to cross the road?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

64% and 56% resp

Remember 2011 Aljunied ?
    AMK 56% is a definite vote of no confidence in our PM.

Accurate? I guess we will know by around 9pm plus.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

As to what you said about no choice, should we just free all criminals in the jails because after all most of them committed crimes out of "no choice"?
    How can you compare country development with criminal? Didn't the judge find out the reason behind the crime before a sentence is passed. If want to compare, there are lots of things to compare. Why some people are born under the golden spoon while some are born under the "rusty" spoon? Why some are born to be smarter while some are just average or below average? Why some are born to be healthy while some are born to have lots of sickness? Why some parents passed away while their children are still young while some parents can have a long life?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    AMK 56% is a definite vote of no confidence in our PM.

Accurate? I guess we will know by around 9pm plus.
    Dear Kelonguni

can be accurate last time does not mean can be accurate this time

As for AMK ward, think the voters there are intelligent people
    they will not oppose for the sake of opposing, above 60% to PAP ?

Other area of contest
    believe it will be a close fight in all PAP vs WP ward

Dark Horse this GE 2015
    Dr Chee SJ of SDP
    will be a very close fight
    in fact all eyes will be focusing here

for me, just take it with a pinch of salt while mingling with the uncles
    for the fun of it

West Coast and Jurong ground not ripe yet for Alternative Party
    PAP can still enjoy above national average in term of percentage win

It is not about not developing people to their fullest potential.

When the government control academic freedom and the press telling you what you should read and what you should know for 50 years, the graduates the country produces is one who lack critical and lateral thinking at the highest level. These graduates are smart and scores straight "A" mind you. But put them to the test, they cannot compete with the world best.
    Talk about education, I have a Chinese Indonesian sister-in-law, she is a Literauture University Graduate in Indonesia. I was surprised when she couldn't even teach her Pr 2 son mathematics. She said it was so tricky, even for English, she also face some problem because she said our education system is so different. When she first married to S'pore, she is a bit "Ya-ya", thinking that she is a graduate. When her children started schooling, then she realised that our s'pore education system is actually not easy, later she admitted that her University education is just equivalent to our "A" level.

Initially she even commented on our CPF and restriction on property purchase, now she has admitted that all these are good for the citizens.

Sorry, I'm not saying that Indonesian education is lousy but simply because of different education system and also learn different things.
    Last edited by irisng; 11-09-15 at 16:25.

But you are saying Singapore got "no choice" but to perform "Compulsory Land Acquisition",
    isn't this the same as saying that the Communist Countries like China got "no choice" but to perform "Compulsory Land Acquisition" as well, what is the difference then?

And did Hong Kong perform "Compulsory Land Acquisition" as well since they are so small and their population is double of Singapore?

Quote Originally Posted by irisng View Post
    How can you compare country development with criminal? Didn't the judge find out the reason behind the crime before a sentence is passed. If want to compare, there are lots of things to compare. Why some people are born under the golden spoon while some are born under the "rusty" spoon? Why some are born to be smarter while some are just average or below average? Why some are born to be healthy while some are born to have lots of sickness? Why some parents passed away while their children are still young while some parents can have a long life?

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs View Post
    What you read on the internet might not be true or with other agendas hidden into it.
    to win the heaven and the earth
    first must win the hearts of the people

http://redwiretimes.com/kua-politics...ey-could-vote/

There is no denying that the news media in Singapore has been controlled, since we know that the Chief Editors must received the endorsement of the Government. Even today, all 5 newspapers in Singapore are owned by SPH and not independent parties.

Thanks to Internet, we get to know more than what we will know from news media.

In fact, a more appropriate phrase to say is that we should take everything we read with a large pinch of salt, regardless of internet or news media, everybody can be biased in some ways

In the early days, filtering and blocking on internet had been done as well (as far as I know). They seem to be starting to try to control internet again with all those bills on internet websites etc. Not only that, have you heard of PAP Internet Brigade?

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs View Post
    Last edited by teddybear; 11-09-15 at 17:33.