Thread: Tenancy extension month per month

Default Tenancy extension month per month

Hi there,
    My tenancy is for a period of 24 months and got a 2-months' notice. It will be expiring in April and had given notice to the Landlord via the agent that I would like to renew on a month to month basis (still with the 2month's notice) as I have not been confirmed for a a new job. I realise that the rental I am paying currently is much better as rentals are dropping so it would be advantageous to the Landlord. I haven't heard from the agent but my question is: can I continue to occupy with the existing TA until I give the 2-months' notice? Is there a law which addresses this aspect of the tenancy? Has anybody encountered this problem? Thank you for your much-appreciated input and advise.

I am renting out my unit. You interested?

Quote Originally Posted by bottomlinesmart View Post
    Hi there,
    My tenancy is for a period of 24 months and got a 2-months' notice. It will be expiring in April and had given notice to the Landlord via the agent that I would like to renew on a month to month basis (still with the 2month's notice) as I have not been confirmed for a a new job. I realise that the rental I am paying currently is much better as rentals are dropping so it would be advantageous to the Landlord. I haven't heard from the agent but my question is: can I continue to occupy with the existing TA until I give the 2-months' notice? Is there a law which addresses this aspect of the tenancy? Has anybody encountered this problem? Thank you for your much-appreciated input and advise.
    You can continue to stay till the END OF THE LEASE.

However, you should demand that you get a reply asap, so that you have sufficient time to look for another lease if the LL is not agreeable to mth to mth rent.

Do you have any direct contact with LL ?

if you do, go straight to LL and ask for an answer.

If you dont, hound the agent, till you get an answer.

Meanwhile start looking for another apt.

there are many available.

Thank you, yowetan for the offer. However, not at this time

Thank you, proud owner. The agent is avoiding that I have direct contact with the Landlord. I tried many times to find out how to contact the LL but he will not give ne contact details. Is there any way I can talk the the LL directly? I really don't want to start with the search process until I get a confirmed contract from the company.

It is unlikely any landlord will agree with month to month lease. For one, it may be considered as short term rental which URA frowns upon. The ball is in your court so to speak as everything hinges on you getting a new job. The landlord cannot wait forever and will likely just go ahead and source for new tenants on regular leases.

the way i look at it, it is not really 'short term leasing' which URA does not allow ( YET ALLOWING AIRBNB to operate in Singapore?)

I enquired with URA before.
    i was told they are doing a year long survey and would publish the report end of the year (2015). which now we still havent heard anything.

i questioned them as to why short term leasing is not allowed, yet the govt has allowed AirBnB to operate here...

he could not answer me. Just ask to to wait for their report.

anyway ... for your case, it is a month to month EXTENSION... which when count from start of lease, is definitely longer than the minimum 6 mths required by URA.

I strongly suggest that you start looking for another unit.

Such agent and LL, forget it, move on...

Care to share how big a unit you renting ? how much you paying ? and which condo ?
    can PM me

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    the way i look at it, it is not really 'short term leasing' which URA does not allow ( YET ALLOWING AIRBNB to operate in Singapore?)

I enquired with URA before.
    i was told they are doing a year long survey and would publish the report end of the year (2015). which now we still havent heard anything.

i questioned them as to why short term leasing is not allowed, yet the govt has allowed AirBnB to operate here...

he could not answer me. Just ask to to wait for their report.

anyway ... for your case, it is a month to month EXTENSION... which when count from start of lease, is definitely longer than the minimum 6 mths required by URA.

I strongly suggest that you start looking for another unit.

Such agent and LL, forget it, move on...

Care to share how big a unit you renting ? how much you paying ? and which condo ?
    can PM me
    Two different things actually. Airbnb is allowed to be officed here, just like any other business. The short term leasing itself, whether by airbnb or individuals, is not approved by URA at the moment in Spore. This is very clear. And many condo mcst are stepping up vigilance against airbnb or short term stay activities.

Technically the original lease has an end date. After that, anything shorter than a 6-month lease is short term rental.