Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Property investment in uncertain times

Don't mean to offend you, what is the percentage of ppl gained in FX trading as compare to property investment?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Confused!!! I though you should say start fx trading earlier and buy more landed instead.

i remember growing up in a landed house ... where each neighbor was pretty far away ... every house was a detached ... surrounded by its own garden ...

we had 3 rambutan trees ... matured adult ranbutan trees ... massive ... stood in a row at the far end of the garden ...
    their branches didnt touch the other ..

had 1 durian tree , 1 sour sop, 1 well , 2 outpost toilets hahahahha

those were in the garden ...

between the house and the garden, was what felt like 2 tennis courts size gravel Parking area...

gosh .... how i wish now that we still have that piece of land ...

Don't mean to offend you, what is the percentage of ppl gained in FX trading as compare to property investment?
    i think equal number ...

just that the gain each time / tenor / are different

so is the loss ...

i hear traders who loses 10s of 1000... same as investors who cut loss in properties ... but in Millions ..

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikeu View Post
    To be a reasonably good FX trader, i opine I would have to do it full-time or as a retirement hobby....
    It is impossible for me to do that while I am holding a full time job and yet able to achieve a decent returns on FX trading.
    So for anyone earning a decent salary, say $10k, they would find it hard to quit their job and do FX full-time to aim to generate $10k in FX returns.

Those friends of yours in hedge funds etc are experts in trading derivatives, and probably not a believer in alternative assets. Hence they will hold cash to trade derivatives. But for those not in trading as their daily job, they will believe more in asset investments.

you would be good in your other investment...just maybe not FX ...

thats what i mean when i say there are many different forms of investment ... no one person can perform well in all ...

those friends of mine are all retired ... no longer working full time ...

Oic...It is one of my aim to be a master of FX trading... but i am not there yet.
    FX trading is a combination of the Art of trading + the Science of Trading ..

many traders, full time or not, working in a bank or trading from home, very often, only learn the ART of trading ...

No one, no school, not IBF, nowhere , teaches you the Science of trading ...

it took us many years to finally acquired the Science ...

which we are now teaching to young aspiring individuals, who wants to, one day, work in a Hedge Fund, or a successful Proprietory trader.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    you would be good in your other investment...just maybe not FX ...

thats what i mean when i say there are many different forms of investment ... no one person can perform well in all ...

those friends of mine are all retired ... no longer working full time ...
    One day when I semi-retire, maybe I will go learn FX more to execute the trades in a bigger way confidently.... FX has always interests me.
    But as of now, i will rely on familiar grounds in alternative assets, and aiming for pre-ipo fundings in catalist listings etc.

i think equal number ...

so is the loss ...

i hear traders who loses 10s of 1000... same as investors who cut loss in properties ... but in Millions ..
    Only can lose million if you invest in 5 to 10 million property onwards. If buy 1+ million or under a million property how to lose a million?
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    Only can lose million if you invest in 5 to 10 million property onwards. If buy 1+ million or under a million property how to lose a million?

of course lah ...

whatever the amount paid , the loss in an investment that cost Million, will definitely be greater than another investment thats only, say 20k ...

Another way to look at it.

If lost 20K in highly volatile trade, 20K lost.

If lost 20K in property valuation, gained 20K in rent, overall capital still the same amount.

Anyway is just about perspectives. Congrats on doing well in your choice. One day I hope to learn from experts like yourself!

of course lah ...

whatever the amount paid , the loss in an investment that cost Million, will definitely be greater than another investment thats only, say 20k ...

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Another way to look at it.

If lost 20K in highly volatile trade, 20K lost.

If lost 20K in property valuation, gained 20K in rent, overall capital still the same amount.

Anyway is just about perspectives. Congrats on doing well in your choice. One day I hope to learn from experts like yourself!

And i, you on equities and bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds View Post
    Respect in this regard is about respecting their decisions to buy at peak to preserve their wealth because their needs are different.

Arcachon is no ordinary investor. He bought most of his properties during the down period.
    Respect someone who is sincere, willing to share, got foresight to buy even he is average joe. For rich he can buy at high or low. We gain and earn respects not buy respects. Image you in lambo club, pcs or sicc etc they changed cars regarding high or low. You got to respect all the members? Very sad

I am expecting record stamp duty collection this year, probably by a huge margin. Some of those developments I had been monitoring are all sold out.

Actually I also won't classify myself as buying at the peak to preserve wealth. Almost all who needed to buy in 2013 after TDSR have had to do so due to urgent need for housing. But of course, there is JG which we are all anticipating.

Remember, we are in 2Q2016. I hope the market waits or falls for me for 5 years more when most/all major CMs are removed. I think I can get one more by then. But do I logically think so? Not really.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

I am expecting record stamp duty collection this year, probably by a huge margin. Some of those developments I had been monitoring are all sold out.

Actually I also won't classify myself as buying at the peak to preserve wealth. Almost all who needed to buy in 2013 after TDSR have had to do so due to urgent need for housing. But of course, there is JG which we are all anticipating.

Remember, we are in 2Q2016. I hope the market waits or falls for me for 5 years more when most/all major CMs are removed. I think I can get one more by then. But do I logically think so? Not really.
    And also, just to be clear, I did not buy in 2013 or 2014.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Respect someone who is sincere, willing to share, got foresight to buy even he is average joe. For rich he can buy at high or low. We gain and earn respects not buy respects. Image you in lambo club, pcs or sicc etc they changed cars regarding high or low. You got to respect all the members? Very sad

"If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself." - Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds View Post
    "If I am walking with two other men, each of them will serve as my teacher. I will pick out the good points of the one and imitate them, and the bad points of the other and correct them in myself." - Confucius
    The problem is can't differentiate good and bad.

i think equal number ...

so is the loss ...

Speak with conscience, how many of your friends lost millions in properties. Is the numbers greater than other investments. How many ppl gain from FX market greater than property market ?

The problem is can't differentiate good and bad.
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell." - Confucius

Kelonguni,

Hi, convenient to say which projects u monitor had sold out?
    Just Do It! 要拼才会赢!

Citizen now become Master. Tone change. Start scolding other Masters. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful View Post
    Citizen now become Master. Tone change. Start scolding other Masters. Very sad.
    Thanks for your compliment , I'm here to learn how to differentiate superior and inferior man. Hopefully 1 person sad is better than everyone sad

Now sold out, so I won't be accused of asking people to buy (I hope).

One of them is Waterfront@Faber. Yowetan also monitoring that.

Another few very close to sell out (can consider as sold out) but not convenient to put here in case people say I try to advocate for them.

Oddly speaking, transit-based condos don't appear to be doing that well. Maybe still a mismatch in pricing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberknight View Post
    Kelonguni,

Hi, convenient to say which projects u monitor had sold out?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Kelongoni, care to explain your thought process for selecting waterfront @faber?

Now sold out, so I won't be accused of asking people to buy (I hope).

One of them is Waterfront@Faber. Yowetan also monitoring that.

Another few very close to sell out (can consider as sold out) but not convenient to put here in case people say I try to advocate for them.

Oddly speaking, transit-based condos don't appear to be doing that well. Maybe still a mismatch in pricing at the moment.
    Bro, this one in D5 very deep inside lehhh...

Bro, this one in D5 very deep inside lehhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by gentlemanofleisure View Post
    Kelongoni, care to explain your thought process for selecting waterfront @faber?
    OK when I have more time, will elaborate on my thinking process here. Now is the time to work.

And to be academically precise, I am monitoring and not selecting.

The more important task for people looking to buy is to look for what's available and what meets their needs and not what meets other people's needs.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

The more important task for people looking to buy is to look for what's available and what meets their needs and not what meets other people's needs.
    Thank you. I agree with you.
    I am simply looking for gap or an angel that I may not have thought of.

Speak with conscience, how many of your friends lost millions in properties. Is the numbers greater than other investments. How many ppl gain from FX market greater than property market ?

judging from "speak with conscience" you are hinting that i am lying ..?

to begin with ... traders dont invest the same amount as one would in properties ..

Theoretically if they trade in the same amount as you would in properties ...yes they can make millions ..

If my example is not an individual but a trader in a bank, who trades in 1 to 2 millions... he will definitely make MORE than you make in properties of 1 to 2 mil price range ..

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemanofleisure View Post
    Thank you. I agree with you.
    I am simply looking for gap or an angel that I may not have thought of.

i am looking for an angel too .....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Unfortunately there is a big misconception with many people that only investing in properties can make a lot of money, nothing else will............ which of course is not true......

Not sure how many of these people in Singapore think in this way but from this forum it looks like the number is big, and too bad the Singapore government's property cooling measures just killed their property market and their chance to make money.
    While CCR private properties has crashed, most of the properties are too expensive for most of these people to afford, while OCR private properties which they can afford are just too significantly over-valued now (didn't drop much anyway), so can't buy cheap.
    On the other hand, while OCR private properties are near historical highs, too bad, those people holding OCR private properties also can't sell at such good price (because buyers mostly asking for hair-cut below market price in view of government's property cooling measures and expecting prices to slide further) and if you want to sell now people think you are desperate and will only offer 10-20% below market price, so property market is basically DEAD!
    Think Singapore property market probably in slow decline till 2021 (and facing next recession).......

So sayonara properties................
    Better invest in other assets than properties now........

to begin with ... traders dont invest the same amount as one would in properties ..

Theoretically if they trade in the same amount as you would in properties ...yes they can make millions ..

If my example is not an individual but a trader in a bank, who trades in 1 to 2 millions... he will definitely make MORE than you make in properties of 1 to 2 mil price range ..

Just a simple question how many percent of the fx traders win? 100% 99% or less than 10%? Don't need tell 1 banker won millions and millions.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Unfortunately there is a big misconception with many people that only investing in properties can make a lot of money, nothing else will............ which of course is not
    Of course property investment is not the only way. But it is the most simple way and highest percent of winners than any other investments. Just name 1 other investment that has many winners. If can't please don't beat around the bush