Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Property investment in uncertain times

Default Property investment in uncertain times

http://propertysoul.com/2016/04/05/uncertain-times/

Property investment in uncertain times

April 5, 2016

Last Sunday was my third time speaking at the SMART Investment & International Property Expo. It was very touching to see so many of my blog followers and readers there. Thank you!

The unbearable uncertainty of being

When the organizer asked me to talk about ‘Property Investment in Uncertain Times’, I thought it was a great topic.

You see they can say property investment ‘in a slow market’, ‘during a market downturn’, or ‘when the market is bottoming out’. But I prefer the word ‘uncertain’. It implies that we are all facing uncertainty now.

Many believe that the worst has yet to come. My sixth sense tells me that we are brewing a perfect storm, similar to 1996 after the introduction of anti-speculation measures, the Asian Financial Crisis struck.

Just over the weekend, Donald Trump said US is heading for a massive recession. It is just a question of when. But they will support the stock market by hook or by crook until the US Election in November, aren’t they? And from now till then, who knows what will happen.

Sometimes things happen when people least expect it. Sometimes nothing happen when everyone expect it to come. Maybe there is nothing disastrous on its way. But that strong sentiment of uncertainty is enough to hold property buyers back; lengthen the see-saw negotiations between buyers and sellers; make banks more conservative in approving loans; and continue that boring quarterly reports of 0.5 percent to 1 percent price drop that might linger for years.

Being defensive in uncertain times

When I was about to touch on strategies in uncertain times, I noticed that more people were joining the audience. The 70 seats had already filled up and late comers had to stand behind.

“Property investment strategy in the Year of the Monkey is defensive rather than aggressive. The most important thing this year is not return. It is avoid losing money. Less is more. Risk less and fail less.’

– Property Soul, Let 4 traits of monkeys tell you properties in the monkey year

There are four reasons why adopting a defensive strategy is critical during uncertain times:

Reason 1: It’s risky to buy when prices are dropping.

Never buy on the way down. You never know what’s going to happen next. You don’t want to buy today and see prices drop tomorrow. And no one can tell when the drop is going to stop.

A safe strategy for amateur buyers is to enter the market only when prices are picking up. A popular strategy of savvy investors is to enter the market when they foresee that the market will be recovering soon.

Reason 2: It’s painful to get stuck with a wrong investment.

Unlike stocks, real estate is an illiquid asset. You can dump your stock the next moment. But the process of selling your property can take months or years depending on when you can seal the deal.

If you buy at the wrong time at the wrong price, it can take many years to breakeven. The URA Property Price Index only shows the average price of all caveats lodged, but magically hides all the deviations. Many people who bought during the last peak of the market in the mid-1990s took almost 20 years to breakeven.

While your cash is all tied up with an overpriced property, you wish you could have the means to buy during the low of a property cycle. Not only are you paying the price of buying at the wrong price, you are also paying the opportunity cost by failing to grab the good deals in a buyer’s market.

Reason 3: Prices can drop more than rent paid or collected.

Don’t complain that you have been paying rent for years while waiting for prices to come down. If you are renting for $3,000 a month, you are only paying $36,000 a year and $108,000 in 3 years.

If you bought a $1 million property, with its value down 10 percent you would have lost $100,000. This is on top of all the stamp duties, legal fee, mortgage interest, management fee, property tax, renovation and repair costs. Did’t you just negotiate with your landlord for a 20 percent cut to renew one more year for your tenancy?

I hope your landlord have bought the place a long time ago and have already paid off much of the mortgage. Otherwise the humble rent collected from you may be barely enough to cover the expenses. A gradual decline of the property’s value can also wipe up whatever rental return collected in the past few years.

Compared with your landlord, you choose to put your $1 million in a fixed deposit account with 2 percent interest. You have done nothing but safely collect $20,000 every year to subsidize half of your rent. So what do you have to complain about?

Don’t let hotspots become hot potatoes

As the back was getting crowded, people started standing on the empty spaces on both sides of the seminar area. Exhibitors from nearby booths also came to see why this only female speaker of the 2-day seminar was drawing a crowd here.

I repeated what I have emphasized during my presentation at the Properties in Year of the Monkey networking luncheon in January – the five things to avoid buying in 2016:

• Properties that promise unrealistic returns.
    • Properties that you can’t really afford.
    • Properties with no distinctive advantages.
    • Properties with obvious problems.
    • Properties selling at market price.

As expected, many snapped a picture with their mobile phones on the slide “Where to find good deals?”. I took three questions from the audience and the time was up.

After I walked down the stage, some from the audience continued to ask questions. The organizer reminded us to move elsewhere to clear the way for the next session. I suggested to go to the MPH booth to continue the Q&As since they were selling my book No B.S. Guide to Property Investment there.

We ended up using the table and chair in the booth for autographs and selfies. I haven’t done this for a while after the book was launched almost two years ago. I was really grateful that I still could sign eleven books in total.

When I got home, my daughter came over to me with her homework. She pointed at the parent’s signature stamp and said,

“Sign here.”

“No, hold your book like this. Look at me with your anxious eyes and ask politely, ‘Could I have your autograph please?'”

“Certainly,” she replied with a wink.

It is insane to compare property investment to stocks. The investors' purposes are different too.

Quote Originally Posted by vip View Post
    http://propertysoul.com/2016/04/05/uncertain-times/

1• Properties that promise unrealistic returns.
    2• Properties that you can’t really afford.
    3• Properties with no distinctive advantages.
    4• Properties with obvious problems.
    5• Properties selling at market price.
    Actually she has made several good and valid points but the whole article is shrouded by a lot of personal anecdotes, distractions and false misdirections. I will try to break it down to discuss.

Firstly, properties found in points 1 to 4 are either severely overpriced or poor quality properties (for example very old where maintenance is higher than possible rent by a huge margin). They should be avoided in all markets unless one has a very good plan for them (en bloc, rebuild, own stay for good reasons etc).

A property that does not meet all the 4 points (meaning it is a good quality property) selling at discount to market price is a safe and good buy. Currently, there are many properties that meet this criteria. That's why I wonder why she advocates not sourcing for these discounted properties but rather to refrain instead. What is the market price point she is referring to?
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

If the last seven years' property prices hasn't convinced one of the defensive nature of property, what will?

Even for the cases where prices have "dropped" relative to 2009 or 2013 levels, many or a huge majority of the sellers still gain in comparison to their buying prices provided they did not buy any of the properties in the first four groups mentioned.

To assess whether we are anywhere heading towards the worst of scenarios, just need to look at COE prices in Singapore. Yes, it might still trend downwards with further increases in quota, but can we honestly think they will go back to 2009-2010 levels of under 20K?

Everybody (including Donald Trump) is expecting a recession and holding back. The real question is what happens if the prolonged recession never really comes in a big way?

Continuous quarterly value dips of between 0.5 to 1% translates to 3% drop in a year. Fully absorbable by rent. Just lose interest, but note that when it recovers, it can be higher than 3% in a year as well. How many years of continuous dips are we looking at with household incomes continuing to rise? I have also seen value increases in specific properties as well so it goes a little back to what one buys.

[URL="http://propertysoul.com/2016/04/05/uncertain-times/"]The unbearable uncertainty of being[/B]

When the organizer asked me to talk about ‘Property Investment in Uncertain Times’, I thought it was a great topic.

You see they can say property investment ‘in a slow market’, ‘during a market downturn’, or ‘when the market is bottoming out’. But I prefer the word ‘uncertain’. It implies that we are all facing uncertainty now.

Many believe that the worst has yet to come. My sixth sense tells me that we are brewing a perfect storm, similar to 1996 after the introduction of anti-speculation measures, the Asian Financial Crisis struck.

Just over the weekend, Donald Trump said US is heading for a massive recession. It is just a question of when. But they will support the stock market by hook or by crook until the US Election in November, aren’t they? And from now till then, who knows what will happen.

Sometimes things happen when people least expect it. Sometimes nothing happen when everyone expect it to come. Maybe there is nothing disastrous on its way. But that strong sentiment of uncertainty is enough to hold property buyers back; lengthen the see-saw negotiations between buyers and sellers; make banks more conservative in approving loans; and continue that boring quarterly reports of 0.5 percent to 1 percent price drop that might linger for years.

Being defensive in uncertain times

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

I only read 3 reasons instead of 4.

Reason 1. Hindsight is always 20/20. As you mentioned, we are in uncertain territory. The Govt CMs has reserved a buffer of 20% upside and 20% downside in my opinion, and we have no idea which part of the cycle we should be in right now in a free market. When prices are picking up, that also seems to be a period when the best properties (that buyers and investors prefer) have already been snapped up. There is a tradeoff, but as we observed, this is the right time for buyers (own stay with specific requirements) but maybe not yet (and almost there) for pure investors.

Reason 2. Unlike real estate, stocks can be dumped pretty fast and values can plummet 30% in a week, presenting some buying opportunities but lots of hair loss and lots of lost sleep. And the last we checked, it IS a buyer's market right now. Maybe but maybe not the lowest buyer's market yet but most will agree it is close. Note that construction costs are due for a rise once the economies take off.

Reason 3. I am not sure if you are advocating for rental instead of ownership. If that is the case, I will recommend HDB ownership instead. Paying rent of $3K monthly over 5 years translate to 180K, excluding repairs under $100 multiple times, and subject to landlords' whims and desires, and maybe multiple times of house moving, agent commission and lease stamping, not to mention the possibility of rent rises a couple of years later. A HDB will be preferred - 60-99 years leasehold at maybe double (outskirts) to triple (more central) of the 5-year rental only.

[URL="http://propertysoul.com/2016/04/05/uncertain-times/"]

Reason 1: It’s risky to buy when prices are dropping.

Never buy on the way down. You never know what’s going to happen next. You don’t want to buy today and see prices drop tomorrow. And no one can tell when the drop is going to stop.

A safe strategy for amateur buyers is to enter the market only when prices are picking up. A popular strategy of savvy investors is to enter the market when they foresee that the market will be recovering soon.

Reason 2: It’s painful to get stuck with a wrong investment.

Unlike stocks, real estate is an illiquid asset. You can dump your stock the next moment. But the process of selling your property can take months or years depending on when you can seal the deal.

If you buy at the wrong time at the wrong price, it can take many years to breakeven. The URA Property Price Index only shows the average price of all caveats lodged, but magically hides all the deviations. Many people who bought during the last peak of the market in the mid-1990s took almost 20 years to breakeven.

While your cash is all tied up with an overpriced property, you wish you could have the means to buy during the low of a property cycle. Not only are you paying the price of buying at the wrong price, you are also paying the opportunity cost by failing to grab the good deals in a buyer’s market.

Reason 3: Prices can drop more than rent paid or collected.

Don’t complain that you have been paying rent for years while waiting for prices to come down. If you are renting for $3,000 a month, you are only paying $36,000 a year and $108,000 in 3 years.

If you bought a $1 million property, with its value down 10 percent you would have lost $100,000. This is on top of all the stamp duties, legal fee, mortgage interest, management fee, property tax, renovation and repair costs. Did’t you just negotiate with your landlord for a 20 percent cut to renew one more year for your tenancy?

I hope your landlord have bought the place a long time ago and have already paid off much of the mortgage. Otherwise the humble rent collected from you may be barely enough to cover the expenses. A gradual decline of the property’s value can also wipe up whatever rental return collected in the past few years.

Compared with your landlord, you choose to put your $1 million in a fixed deposit account with 2 percent interest. You have done nothing but safely collect $20,000 every year to subsidize half of your rent. So what do you have to complain about?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Master Kelonguni, you are more than a property consultant. I Salute you.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Master Kelonguni, you are more than a property consultant. I Salute you.
    Master Citizen, VIP is the property consultant. She holds talks, and writes and signs books. I am just an academic observer.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Lets the rest of the readers judge. Either out of touch or denial.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

I concur with her that property is no touch now, particularly OCR private properties.............
    We will see who is in out of touch and/or in denial........

It is clear to me that the property cooling measures caused the down fall of the property prices that will drag on for a long time.........

Lets the rest of the readers judge. Either out of touch or denial.

Simple test eg sell your house and use the money to buy stocks.
    Short term - see whether the money you gain from stocks can cover your rental?
    Long term - see whether the money you gain from stocks can buy back similar unit you sold? Please tell us any other investments which can beat property and majority gain from it? Please don't name Peter lim, warren Buffett etc

Where to invest your money for better return is for you to find out........

People are already kind enough to sound the warning, but they do not owe you a living to give you the fish nor teach you how to fish................

Simple test eg sell your house and use the money to buy stocks.
    Short term - see whether the money you gain from stocks can cover your rental?
    Long term - see whether the money you gain from stocks can buy back similar unit you sold? Please tell us any other investments which can beat property and majority gain from it? Please don't name Peter lim, warren Buffett etc

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
    Where to invest your money for better return is for you to find out........

People are already kind enough to sound the warning, but they do not owe you a living to give you the fish nor teach you how to fish................
    If it is sincere why can't point it out but why can work so hard to tell property investment no good. She didn't owe it to us either? "Kind enough" to mislead.
    Last edited by Citizen; 06-04-16 at 21:42.

Just like the judge said you are guilty but you have to find out yourself. He just knew you are guilty. Sad

When Master Kelonguni said somethings , he care to explain. Sincere and patience therefore I respect him.

We should count ourselves lucky because others investments not making money. Image if majority make money in stocks our property prices will double if not triple. Don't you agree with me?

What I can say is that what is best to invest and how to do it are too complicated to explain to layman who don't bother to read and learn......

E.g. You know what is Black–Scholes model?
    You know what is Portfolio optimization?
    You know what is Moving Average Convergence and Divergence?
    You know what are Oscillators and ROC Indicator etc?
    You know why I avoided Accumulators?
    You know why I avoided Structured Deposits and mini-bonds?

If you know, good for you.
    If you don't, nobody is so free to teach you (if it takes longer than 1 min)...........

If it is sincere why can't point it out but why can work so hard to tell property investment no good. She didn't owe it to us either? "Kind enough" to mislead.

You know why I avoided Accumulators?
    this one i know. "accumulator" = "i kill u later"

Really sound like it!
    Trust the Hongkee to come with such name, hidden meaning: "I kill u later"!

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    this one i know. "accumulator" = "i kill u later"

For now ... just collect rent ( got tenant ... just rent it out ... dont bargain )
    and trade my FX ...

so volatile ... so good to trade ...

People who don't know how to invest/trade complain about volatility in stocks etc and say too risky and can't make money blah blah blah........

But that is because they are ignorant, and hence they can only invest in properties....
    But too bad, the Government's property cooling measures has killed the property market and killed their chance/hope of making money..............

They should learn that "volatility" is actually an investors' best friend (not just for speculators / traders)................

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner View Post
    For now ... just collect rent ( got tenant ... just rent it out ... dont bargain )
    and trade my FX ...

so volatile ... so good to trade ...

People who don't know how to invest/trade complain about volatility in stocks etc and say too risky and can't make money blah blah blah........

But that is because they are ignorant, and hence they can only invest in properties....
    But too bad, the Government's property cooling measures has killed the property market and killed their chance/hope of making money..............

They should learn that "volatility" is actually an investors' best friend (not just for speculators / traders)................
    Master Bear since you are so sophisticated, did you make a killing in other investments beside property ? I hope simple answer than sophisticated one.

Master Bear since you are so sophisticated, did you make a killing in other investments beside property ? I hope simple answer than sophisticated one.
    There are many avenues for gamblers that are misportrayed as investments.

Other than property which is the most transparent, I feel that only stocks and bonds can be classified as alternative forms of investments.

In order to qualify, they must at least allow the investor to rest well, sleep well. Another criteria is high risk, high gains that people can understand. For some forms, the "investor" is not even fully aware of their risks, being focused only on the potential gains.

Property is the most stable and suitable for everyone with all risk profiles (depending on which segment one buys into). But allowing people to overleverage on loans allows them to take risks beyond their ability, which is inherently unfair and introduces risks to our system. Bonds are the most stable and suitable for the most risk averse who does not want the hassle and complications of properties (which is great news for some of us). Stocks are the most liquid and allows some degree of timing the market. However, if one buys into red chips that one is not familiar, the gains and losses can indeed be great.

I often always share my entry and exit of stocks here. So far the annual gain based on the principle amount is consistent at 5-8%. It's not much compared to some other sophisticated investments, but I am satisfied with the risks taken and the rewards that follow.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Master Kelonguni , like what I said you are not selfish and sincere in sharing info and knowledge. I personally know many ppl gained from properties but lost in stocks market and other investments. Just don't understand why there are ppl here who like to mislead the society and lack of conscience. Sad!!!

Master Kelonguni , like what I said you are not selfish and sincere in sharing info and knowledge. I personally know many ppl gained from properties but lost in stocks market and other investments. Just don't understand why there are ppl here who like to mislead the society and lack of conscience. Sad!!!
    Some people are just stubborn. I know a friend who lost in stocks and other risky instruments enough to buy a private property 10 years ago.

Even until today, he refuse to trust in the value of a private property in SG. He is looking to buy in Thailand now because he said is cheaper and more value for money. Combined household income monthly probably 25K and still young (under 40).

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

If you know what is portfolio diversification, you should know we don't invest just in properties and nothing else, obviously we must have been investing in something else (other than properties), and will be rotating around other assets and making money out of those other assets.................

And because we are rotating (buying and selling and buying in short term), there is NO WAY we can update you promptly, so better NOT ............
    Later people say you ask them to buy because of self-interest (to help to push up price) but never ask them to sell when we sell blah blah blah...............

Also, investment is about a portfolio of investments, not individual investment, and would anybody tell you his/her whole portfolio? Not that I know of............ You only get a glimpse of 1 thing, which is much more dangerous...........

Don't think we know the full portfolio of Kelonguni?

Ok, you better go and learn more about investment............
    Then you will know 99-years LH OCR property at current price is significantly over-valued.....

Last edited by teddybear; 07-04-16 at 09:02.

Thanks! Agreed totally , stubborn and because resentment

This thread started by "vip" always draw my attention because her views mirrored mine. She started to caution about Singapore property market in 2011 which I concurred. I even suggested highly leveraged multi-property investors to sell some of their assets in late 2011. Looking back, our views had proven right.

In response to Mr Citizen in another thread a week ago: "Take it or leave it" also started by vip, below was my contribution:

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds View Post
    It is not complete to look at the property market between 2009 to now because this period is only part of the property cycle. One should look at the period from 1990 to now to have a good understanding of how the market actually works even though every cycle is different due to different circumstances.

Your experiences and decision in 2009 was "right" because the world was just starting to react to the Lebman's crisis in 2008 with the expectation that the US would be experiencing a similar financial crisis like the one in Asia in 1997. Singapore then was still in the midst of recession. What the FED did to save the US from a severe recession was to flood the market with cheap money and with near zero interest rate were unprecedential. These cheap money and low interest rates caused asset inflation across many cities in the world including Singapore.

What the FED did did not provide real economic growth. The slow down in China is going to hit US much more than it ability to generate domestic growth. At home, the government's firmness in preventing asset bubbles is working and the soft landing is slowing making its present felt.

There were many people who sold their flats in late 2009 and hoping to buy back later were severely punished. If you are not one of them, count yourself lucky.

If you think you have missed the boat to buy in 2009 by looking at today's price, sure you feel sour; but fed not because between 2009 and now the cycle is still "not complete". Currently, many resale transactions in RCR (less in OCR) have already reached 2010/2011 level. Prices in CCR had already "crashed".

If you had bought between 2009 and 2013 and are collecting rents over the past years, it should not bother you whether prices go up or down further. If you bought between 2013 and now, you should be financially solid to be able to ride out the cycle. Having said that, of course we are going to see more bank sales going forward because of the declining rental market, softer job market and the expected rising interest rate. This is normal as the market wipes out the weak buyers.

Property investment is really for the long term (10 years at least). In between cycles, there will be minor adjustments due to both latent and effective demands.

We are still in the midst of adjustment in this current cycle.
    I noted that some investors here only look at the Singapore property market from 2009 to now. I think it is not good enough. We need to look at least 10 years. For the savvy investors, I believe they will look at the market from 1990 to gain better insights and knowledge.

Property agents and those vested in the real estate always like to say "nobody knows when price is going up or down". Savvy investors will only smile and let them be.
    Last edited by Leeds; 07-04-16 at 10:05.

I think from 1990 is not long enough. We must look across 51 years since Singapore's independence at 1965 to understand the significance of this story we are building.

The truth is, people who are looking to BUY LOW always have the same views. Even those who already own, not willing to sell and want to buy more. They will also have these views.

And if you read carefully, many of us vested agree that price direction is still oriented downwards but it's still more fruitful to move first. Ultimately, buyers might have to fork out even more if specific taxes that they are exempt today are implemented with exemptions really removed. So to make a decisive action or to wait for expiry, it's up to them, because it doesn't affect us. Only those who qualify understand what I am saying.

This thread started by "vip" always draw my attention because her views mirrored mine. She started to caution about Singapore property market in 2011 which I concurred. I even suggested highly leveraged multi-property investors to sell some of their assets in late 2011. Looking back, our views had proven right.

In response to Mr Citizen in another thread a week ago: "Take it or leave it" also started by vip, below was my contribution:

I noted that some investors here only look at the Singapore property market from 2009 to now. I think it is not good enough. We need to look at least 10 years. For the savvy investors, I believe they will look at the market from 1990 to gain better insights and knowledge.

Property agents and those vested in the real estate always like to say "nobody knows when price is going up or down". Savvy investors will only smile and let them be.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    I think from 1990 is not long enough. We must look across 51 years since Singapore's independence at 1965 to understand the significance of this story we are building.

The truth is, people who are looking to BUY LOW always have the same views. Even those who already own, not willing to sell and want to buy more. They will also have these views.

And if you read carefully, many of us vested agree that price direction is still oriented downwards but it's still more fruitful to move first. Ultimately, buyers might have to fork out even more if specific taxes that they are exempt today are implemented with exemptions really removed. So to make a decisive action or to wait for expiry, it's up to them, because it doesn't affect us. Only those who qualify understand what I am saying.
    I would like to point out that the Singapore private property market only started to take off in the late 80s' when our GDP were high (double digits growth in many years) and people became richer. So we should look at the market from 1990 onward. Anything earlier is meaningless because not many people invested in property then.

I do see your point of view. Many people especially professionals just buy even during the peak because they not only could afford, they do not have time or the knowledge to invest in other instruments which they viewed as too risky. These people usually are not bothered by property prices going up or down because they buy property to "preserve their wealth" and not really to create wealth.

My views are meant for investors who take property investment as part of their bigger investment portfolio and not to those who only investment is property.

Bro Leeds, this is where we disagree.

Land sales and speculations have been present for as long as civilisation. Specifically for SG, please refer to the relative SPI recorded since 1975.

Many individuals (politicians, teachers, businessmen) and companies (Hong Leong, Far East) invested in properties long long time ago, perhaps even before independence. And I am sure you have seen SBC shows showing landlords collecting rent from tenants in the 1960s or earlier.

Property is only a part of my portfolio. But I shifted most of my earlier investments into property once I understood the global pattern and situation, which many still have a blindspot for. After those moves, I can rest easy channelling reserves and new funds to other investments.

I would like to point out that the Singapore private property market only started to take off in the late 80s' when our GDP were high (double digits growth in many years) and people became richer. So we should look at the market from 1990 onward. Anything earlier is meaningless because not many people invested in property then.

I do see your point of view. Many people especially professionals just buy even during the peak because they not only could afford, they do not have time or the knowledge to invest in other instruments which they viewed as too risky. These people usually are not bothered by property prices going up or down because they buy property to "preserve their wealth" and not really to create wealth.

My views are meant for investors who take property investment as part of their bigger investment portfolio and not to those who only investment is property.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.