Thread: Should tenant close utilities account when leave?

Default Should tenant close utilities account when leave?

My first tenant is leaving soon. Should I remind him to close utilities account? If he doesnt do so and when I open new utilities account, would his last bill still be sent to this address?
    Wonder how you experienced owners out there handle this issue? Don't the owners have to apply utilities to clean up and take over the place until next tenant is found?

Quote Originally Posted by ahchee View Post
    My first tenant is leaving soon. Should I remind him to close utilities account? If he doesnt do so and when I open new utilities account, would his last bill still be sent to this address?
    Wonder how you experienced owners out there handle this issue? Don't the owners have to apply utilities to clean up and take over the place until next tenant is found?
    1. Inform the tenant you need to do a pre-handover inspection.
    2. Inform the tenant any repair and cleaning not done you will get professional to do it and deduct from the deposit.
    3. Tenant have to terminate the utilities, you don't have to remind. normally the water will still be there after termination and sometimes the electricity.

Thanks for the advice. Will inspect all these at handover. How to know if aircon is cleaned or not?

Thanks for the advice. Will inspect all these at handover. How to know if aircon is cleaned or not?
    bill

\
    It should have been stated in the TA how many times per yr the aircon is to be serviced.

At handover day, ask to see the service chit. Assuming 4 times a yr ... the final service should be within the month of the handover.

It is has not been done, then you can deduct a reasonable amount from the deposit.

As to Utilities, Yes you are right. As a righteous landlord, you should be using your own UTILITIES while you look for the next tenant.
    That is to say, you just need to 'open' the account in your own name to start on the day after the handover.

Once your account begins, the tenant's will be terminated automatically.

But some cheapskate landlord would act blur and hope that the tenant forget to close his acc ... but this is rare lah ... usually the agent would have advised the tenant to terminate his acc ...

Point noted with thanks. Will check receipt. Is there any other issues to look out for? 'Cos no experience...

Point noted with thanks. Will check receipt. Is there any other issues to look out for? 'Cos no experience...
    just curious

did you have an agent who secured this out going tenant?
    if you have, he should still ensure that your interests are taken care of at the handover..

if you haven't, take your time to go thru every rooms, turn on and off every switch etc ...

dont be pressured into hurrying thru the process.

if the tenant cannot wait, then tell him, he can leave and you will email him if you find anything that needs repair.

Take pictures..

in fact, at the start of every lease, Take pictures, send to tenant.
    at the end of the lease, you can then compare the conditions...

that way, no one can argue...