Thread: How To Deal With Noise?

Default How To Deal With Noise?

Hi there, recently got a unit at a condominium in Tampines and the unit faces the main road. Opened the window and found that the noise from the road was higher than expected and that standing in the balcony to be quite annoying due to noises from the main road. While I know that closing the window can reduce the noise quite a bit, I would love to be able to open the window to let in some ventilation as well. Any opinions and recommendations on how effective these strategies are to helping these issue?

1. Installing soundproof curtain, not sure if this is effective but I would love to let in some natural light as well so I'm worries that these curtains will block all the light.

Can't think of any other strategies at the moment. If you have any good one please do recommend me one as I'm worried about the noise issue. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by condolove99 View Post
    Hi there, recently got a unit at a condominium in Tampines and the unit faces the main road. Opened the window and found that the noise from the road was higher than expected and that standing in the balcony to be quite annoying due to noises from the main road. While I know that closing the window can reduce the noise quite a bit, I would love to be able to open the window to let in some ventilation as well. Any opinions and recommendations on how effective these strategies are to helping these issue?

1. Installing soundproof curtain, not sure if this is effective but I would love to let in some natural light as well so I'm worries that these curtains will block all the light.

Can't think of any other strategies at the moment. If you have any good one please do recommend me one as I'm worried about the noise issue. Thank you.
    Don't think about it, your mind will get use to it.

Thank you for your reply.

Thank you for your reply.
    Sorry I can't help. Much as Arcachon sounded like he is joking, he is actually right. My parents’ place was right beside PIE back then and the noise never got to me because I got use to it.

You can use some foam ear plugs to reduce noise level. I used it to reduce noise level from PIE when sleeping. It's comfortable on ears. Try 3M brand.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

He is right, you will get use to it (after your hearings' sensitivities have been impaired).

Otherwise, you will just need to keep your windows tightly shut (change the rubber casket if necessary).
    Double layer insulated windows will help to shield out the noise too.

Don't think curtains will be of any help if you want to open the windows.

Other than that, nothing much you can do about it (other than selling the property and moving to some other place).

Next time, never ever buy a unit with windows facing busy main road!

Quote Originally Posted by Arcachon View Post
    Don't think about it, your mind will get use to it.

Thank you all for the replies. No worries, I do listen to each and every advice I can get. I know I probably will get used to it, but just wanted to be more pro-active in seeking out some solutions. On hindsight, I should have picked a unit with a better facing. Just wanted to get some advice since I'm new to this. For me, every bit I can do should count even if each measure only reduce by 5% but overall should make my quality of life better since I'm a bit more sensitive to noise and a light sleeper as well. Thanks again and please do give more advice no matter how small or insignificant it may sounds!