Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UOL-UIC tie-up places top bid for Clementi Ave 1 site

Default Re: UOL-UIC tie-up places top bid for Clementi Ave 1 site

Quote Originally Posted by Kelonguni View Post
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/08/malaysia-cuts-sand-exports-singapore-jeopardising-expansion/

Definitely not fake news.

It limits Singapore's land expansion so new sources will have to be found, which makes land even costlier to produce (reclaim). If land is costlier to produce, can property be cheaper?

The sand used for reclamation is also the same sand used for construction.

Banning cockles used to make char kway teow also affects cockles used for eating raw on a plate, or those used to make laksa, chili and garlic cockles etc. In the end, no cockle supply.
    I am sorry but fake news again?

1. Is the government reclaiming any land for residential development? From what I know, it is for the new Terminal 5 and Tuas Port and not for any residential development.. If land is costlier to produce, government will raise your taxes.

2. Are you sure the sand for reclamation is same for construction?? Which part of construction need sand? Do you mean concrete and steel?

Please check out construction material prices...
    https://www.ceicdata.com/en/singapore/construction-materials-demand-and-prices/construction-materials-price-cement

Population and economic growth slowing, more elderly going to pass on than new births can replace, are you sure property is definitely trend upwards forever?

I am appalled really at your ability to see only one tip of the iceberg and say, that is a small piece of ice.

1. Why does Govt need to shift the Pasir Panjang Port to Tuas? (Hint: ever heard of the Greater Southern Waterfront?)

2. Govt already raised the tax burden hugely on the private property owners (through the more than a dozen cooling measures). Yes, partly because land is getting much harder to solicit, reserve, or create. Spot on actually.

3. Next time when people go and do construction, go and see what they mix cement with before making every pillar and ground structure that makes the building. Whyfore does HDB need to stockpile sand? For reclamation mah??? Wake up to reality, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by annetyu View Post
    I am sorry but fake news again?

1. Is the government reclaiming any land for residential development? From what I know, it is for the new Terminal 5 and Tuas Port and not for any residential development.. If land is costlier to produce, government will raise your taxes.

2. Are you sure the sand for reclamation is same for construction?? Which part of construction need sand? Do you mean concrete and steel?

Please check out construction material prices...
    https://www.ceicdata.com/en/singapore/construction-materials-demand-and-prices/construction-materials-price-cement

Population and economic growth slowing, more elderly going to pass on than new births can replace, are you sure property is definitely trend upwards forever?
    The three laws of Kelonguni:

Where there is kelong, there is guni.
    No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

I am appalled really at your ability to see only one tip of the iceberg and say, that is a small piece of ice.

1. Why does Govt need to shift the Pasir Panjang Port to Tuas? (Hint: ever heard of the Greater Southern Waterfront?)

2. Govt already raised the tax burden hugely on the private property owners (through the more than a dozen cooling measures). Yes, partly because land is getting much harder to solicit, reserve, or create. Spot on actually.

3. Next time when people go and do construction, go and see what they mix cement with before making every pillar and ground structure that makes the building. Whyfore does HDB need to stockpile sand? For reclamation mah??? Wake up to reality, friend.
    I am afraid you are the one seeing only the tip of the iceberg. I am not appalled because I don't expect much from uncles here (in general).

1. Everyone knows what is the greater southern waterfront. It shows you that there are going to be tens of thousands of private apartments in the pipeline around that area.

2. Singapore's 3 largest source of tax are corporate tax, personal income tax and GST. Stamp duty only forms 5% of revenue. Land may be expensive to reclaim and the costs are paid for by these taxes. Whether or not that translates to higher land prices is another issue altogether. If taxes do increase, what does this tell you of disposable income and spending?
    Source: https://graphics.straitstimes.com/STI/STIMEDIA/Interactives/2018/02/singapore-budget-revenue-and-spending-breakdown-2018/index.html

3. I have to agree sand is one component of construction but it is not the bulk of it. Unless you are a experienced worker in the construction industry or hold a civil engineering degree, no one can take your words as it is. You claim that seasand is the same kind use for in construction, but let me tell you ... every kind of commodity has different grades and category. Even if what you say is true, Malaysia is not the only source of sand, there are other countries such as Cambodia and Indonesia. At most, your "breaking news" results in a 5% increase in overall construction cost?? Is that a big deal?

In case you missed my link, construction material price has been declining. https://www.ceicdata.com/en/singapore/construction-materials-demand-and-prices/construction-materials-price-cement

Not sure who should "wake up to reality"... Impressed by your ability to make a mountain out of a molehill because of malaysia's seasand.

Another thing which I am not sure if it affected only the newest developments or both, is the banning of sand export to Singapore (from Malaysia) from last year.

If the developer does not have stockpiled access to it or already secured the rights, construction costs is expected to rise further as well.
    What is your motive? Are you agent or heavily vested in the market?

Here is official data on construction material price for reference. https://www.tablebuilder.singstat.gov.sg/publicfacing/createDataTable.action?refId=14810

There is no sign of material prices rising and they are far from the peak in 2007/2008. Property in 2008 must have been crazy expensive... hmmm

in the meantime, dyson guy has paid $100m for the Wallich super penthouse. ok ok, i will start a new thread on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter View Post
    in the meantime, dyson guy has paid $100m for the Wallich super penthouse. ok ok, i will start a new thread on this.
    You could have posted it in the super penthouses or wallich residence threads. Anyway the selling price is not disclosed yet.

For all you know, I could be younger than you...

Anyway, I did write that "I am not sure if..." So those views are meant for those who are capable of objectively examining the evidence.

Cambodia already banned sand to SG in 2017, followed by Malaysia in 2018.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-40590695

Indonesia already banned sand to SG for a dozen years since 2007.

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/history/events/5c6485bb-c357-48be-9d12-bf7c1d422d0e

You need 2019-2022 construction costs data to be sure if the ban has impact. If you want to use any other Southeast Asian countries, please Google and do your homework first.

My comments are always based on facts plus personal inference. They are always subject to scrutiny and alternative views. They are meant for people who are open-minded in recognising and accepting ideas.

Some other resources:

"River and lake sand, however, contain the right-sized particles for landfills and strong concrete.

Sand makes up about 80 per cent of cement, said a 2018 report by WWF on the impact of sand mining on the ecosystem."

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/explainer-why-sand-so-highly-valued-and-consequences-overmining

Seek first to read and understand, then to comment.

In case you missed my link, construction material price has been declining. https://www.ceicdata.com/en/singapore/construction-materials-demand-and-prices/construction-materials-price-cement

Not sure who should "wake up to reality"... Impressed by your ability to make a mountain out of a molehill because of malaysia's seasand.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

That being said, I did learn something about sea and river / lake sand differences.

And that there are still illegal paths to extract sand despite the ban.

https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy-and-environment/what-is-the-reason-for-not-using-sea-and-desert-sand-for-construction/article7489192.ece

Nonetheless, it does not detract from the case of rising costs.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Not sure I heard this correctly but those buildings that are torn down which is taken back to the state like Rochor Centre. Their materials have a second life.

I am quite certain they are not wasted and will find someway into construction like reclamation. Every grain of sand counts in Singapore.

The sand used for reclamation is also the same sand used for construction.
    You claimed that seasand is the same kind used for construction.

Good that you are learning to read then comment now. Still, we are unsure of the different grades of sand so unable to make meaningful conclusions.

However, data well show that we are able to cope very well after the ban of sand from indonesia, with cement prices declining since 2008.

I think labour costs and developer land bids have a much greater impact on property prices than sand costs.

Some quotes from an article I just read (JUL19)... https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/in-blow-to-singapores-expansion-malaysia-bans-sea-sand-exports

"Sea sand is mostly used for land reclamation, while river sand is a core component in constructions materials like cement." As you said, its river and lake sand that is used for cement, not the seasand involved in the Malaysia ban...

"Singapore's Ministry of National Development, which oversees sand imports, did not directly respond to questions about a ban by Malaysia but said it had multiple sources of sand and was cutting back its use of the commodity."

"Sand is imported on a commercial basis from various countries to ensure resilience in our sand supply,"

I am very open-minded, you should be too. I think my case is stronger than yours.

That being said, I did learn something about sea and river / lake sand differences.

And that there are still illegal paths to extract sand despite the ban.

https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy-and-environment/what-is-the-reason-for-not-using-sea-and-desert-sand-for-construction/article7489192.ece

Nonetheless, it does not detract from the case of rising costs.
    Good, so you know the difference between sea and river sand now...

So will sea sand still cause huge impact on property prices?

I am always open-minded. This is from your article.

"Two traders importing sand to Singapore, who both asked not to be named, said the commodity is becoming scarcer and driving Singapore to source sand from as far as India, which would push up costs. Shipping is the biggest single cost in acquiring sand.

The traders added Singapore has been stockpiling sand in recent years which could provide a buffer against any immediate bottleneck in supplies."

"Singapore imported 59 million tonnes of sand from Malaysia in 2018, at a cost of US$347 million, according to United Nations Comtrade data, which is based on information provided by individual countries' customs offices.

That accounted for 97 per cent of Singapore's total sand imports in the year by volume, and 95 per cent of Malaysia's global sand sales.

The data does not distinguish between types of sand.

Mr Mahathir, who put in place a similar sea sand ban when he was prime minister in the 1990s, has also tightened regulations on river and estuary sand exports, the government sources added."

Apparently, the ban is not just on sea sand.

Good, so you know the difference between sea and river sand now...

So will sea sand still cause huge impact on property prices?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

See in CAPS below. Remember coincidentally also that property prices shot up from 2008 onwards with a short dip in 2009 due to financial crisis.

"When Indonesia banned exports to Singapore in 2007, citing environmental concerns, it caused a "sand crisis" in the city-state that saw BUILDING ACTIVITY almost come to a halt. Singapore has since bolstered its stockpiles. "

"Two traders importing sand to Singapore, who both asked not to be named, said the commodity is becoming scarcer and driving Singapore to source sand from as far as India, which would push up costs. Shipping is the biggest single cost in acquiring sand.

The traders added Singapore has been stockpiling sand in recent years which could provide a buffer against any immediate bottleneck in supplies."

"Singapore imported 59 million tonnes of sand from Malaysia in 2018, at a cost of US$347 million, according to United Nations Comtrade data, which is based on information provided by individual countries' customs offices.

That accounted for 97 per cent of Singapore's total sand imports in the year by volume, and 95 per cent of Malaysia's global sand sales.

Mr Mahathir, who put in place a similar sea sand ban when he was prime minister in the 1990s, has also tightened regulations on river and estuary sand exports, the government sources added."

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Well, it may have an impact on construction costs but looks very minimal and this sand issue alone won't cause property prices to rise by $100psf. If construction cost do rise by that much, developers will be smart to adjust their land bids too.

Take a look at construction material prices published by gov.
    https://www.tablebuilder.singstat.gov.sg/publicfacing/displayChart.action

Concrete and granite prices looks fairly stable. It is steel that is fluctuating wildly.

Lets stop making such a big fuss out of sea sand.

http://blog.nus.edu.sg/awalkinthepark/2016/10/18/land-reclamation-in-singapore/

"This involves dredging from lake beds and sea beds in other countries to supply us with the sand..."

Apparently lake sand can also be used for reclamation. They may be substitutes of each other, even if they are not perfect substitutes.

Thus, there will be some channelling of the lake sand reserved for buildings towards reclamation instead. Tell me that does not affect prices?

You claimed that seasand is the same kind used for construction.

Good that you are learning to read then comment now. Still, we are unsure of the different grades of sand so unable to make meaningful conclusions.

However, data well show that we are able to cope very well after the ban of sand from indonesia, with cement prices declining since 2008.

I think labour costs and developer land bids have a much greater impact on property prices than sand costs.

Some quotes from an article I just read (JUL19)... https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/in-blow-to-singapores-expansion-malaysia-bans-sea-sand-exports

"Sea sand is mostly used for land reclamation, while river sand is a core component in constructions materials like cement." As you said, its river and lake sand that is used for cement, not the seasand involved in the Malaysia ban...

"Singapore's Ministry of National Development, which oversees sand imports, did not directly respond to questions about a ban by Malaysia but said it had multiple sources of sand and was cutting back its use of the commodity."

"Sand is imported on a commercial basis from various countries to ensure resilience in our sand supply,"

I am very open-minded, you should be too. I think my case is stronger than yours.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

River and estuary sands were also similarly banned from what I understand. So stop harping about sea sand.

Well, it may have an impact on construction costs but looks very minimal and this sand issue alone won't cause property prices to rise by $100psf. If construction cost do rise by that much, developers will be smart to adjust their land bids too.

Take a look at construction material prices published by gov.
    https://www.tablebuilder.singstat.gov.sg/publicfacing/displayChart.action

Concrete and granite prices looks fairly stable. It is steel that is fluctuating wildly.

Lets stop making such a big fuss out of sea sand.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

http://blog.nus.edu.sg/awalkinthepark/2016/10/18/land-reclamation-in-singapore/

"This involves dredging from lake beds and sea beds in other countries to supply us with the sand..."

Apparently lake sand can also be used for reclamation. They may be substitutes of each other, even if they are not perfect substitutes.

Thus, there will be some channelling of the lake sand reserved for buildings towards reclamation instead. Tell me that does not affect prices?
    Not saying sand won't affect construction cost but by how much? $50psf? $200psf or $8psf? The impact will not be as drastic as you are trying to describe.

Developers award construction contracts through tender. Usually the lowest bid wins so the most resourceful and cost-effective construction company will get the contract. These companies usually have economies of scale and able to reduce costs through other means such as technology and automation.
    Last edited by annetyu; 10-07-19 at 15:49.

OK noted.

But thanks for the resources sent.

The data is very worrying indeed. I looked at the cost of concreting sand, concrete and cement costs in this table at the period when Indonesia banned sand (2007). As of now, we have managed to stockpile so price pressures are not felt yet. Refer to attachment.

But it will run out in a couple of years as well...

Not saying sand won't affect construction cost but by how much? $50psf? $200psf or $8psf? The impact will not be as drastic as you are trying to describe.

Developers award construction contracts through tender. Usually the lowest bid wins so the most resourceful and cost-effective construction company will get the contract. These companies usually have economies of scale and able to reduce costs through other means such as technology and automation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

it all adds up. higher comms for agents as well. difficult to expect UOL to sell cheap. if parc clematis sells at 14xx then at best uol undercut and sell at 1388psf loh.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/p1-registration-6-popular-schools-oversubscribed-in-third-phase-children-may

Popular or not popular?

You decide.

But the facts speak for themselves.
    https://www.salary.sg/2018/best-primary-schools-2018/

Nan Hua not exactly among the most popular primary schools.

Indeed just a sales tactic.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

"This phase is for children whose siblings or parents are alumni, or whose parents are staff of the school, or who are currently in a Ministry of Education kindergarten located in the primary school."

balloting is conducted for > 2km so at this point it doesn't matter whether the applicant stays at this UOL site or Parc Clematis. however, for the remaining 40 places up for grabs in phase 2B and phase 2C every year, balloting has always been conducted for those who stay within 1km which means the residents of this UOL site is automatically out of contention.

"This phase is for children whose siblings or parents are alumni, or whose parents are staff of the school, or who are currently in a Ministry of Education kindergarten located in the primary school."

balloting is conducted for > 2km so at this point it doesn't matter whether the applicant stays at this UOL site or Parc Clematis. however, for the remaining 40 places up for grabs in phase 2B and phase 2C every year, balloting has always been conducted for those who stay within 1km which means the residents of this UOL site is automatically out of contention.
    Thanks for your information.

Unlike Mr Kelong who only reads whatever he likes, you have provided the big picture.

True also for this round.

But may take effect next round or next years.

But the main point is the undeniable popularity status which somehow our Sister denied vehemently.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

He gave a static big picture. I have suggested a more dynamic, enduring big picture.

So where is the evidence that this is not considered a popular primary school? Share leh...

Thanks for your information.

Unlike Mr Kelong who only reads whatever he likes, you have provided the big picture.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

He gave a static big picture. I have suggested a more dynamic, enduring big picture.

So where is the evidence that this is not considered a popular primary school? Share leh...
    I only said it is not in the top 20 by showing you the stats from last year, never said it was not popular but it is not that near the top.

You are trying to prove that many parents will buy your parc clementias just because of nan hua primary... you must love the project a lot.

Firstly, please stop twisting your words. Nowhere in your threads did you indicate top 20 out of top 10. Else I must be blind so please point out which post.

Secondly, this list you sent is not even sorted by vacancy proportion as a proxy for how popular a school is. For e.g. Sengkang Green Primary (number 21) has 19.6% vacancy as compared to Nan Hua at 12.5%. The listing is based on the enrolment size and big schools go up higher in the list.

The article went as far as to bold all the schools with less than 20% vacancy which you chose to ignore.

So how else do you intend to twist your words?

If I am wrong, I will apologise for reading blindly.

https://www.salary.sg/2018/best-primary-schools-2018/

Nan Hua not exactly among the most popular primary schools.

Indeed just a sales tactic.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

Firstly, please stop twisting your words. Nowhere in your threads did you indicate top 20 out of top 10. Else I must be blind so please point out which post.

Secondly, this list you sent is not even sorted by vacancy proportion as a proxy for how popular a school is. For e.g. Sengkang Green Primary (number 21) has 19.6% vacancy as compared to Nan Hua at 12.5%. The listing is based on the enrolment size and big schools go up higher in the list.

The article went as far as to bold all the schools with less than 20% vacancy which you chose to ignore.

So how else do you intend to twist your words?

If I am wrong, I will apologise for reading blindly.
    I may have interpreted that website wrongly but I have never said nan hua was not popular but only not as popular as you are trying to describe... so please point out which post.

You are trying too hard to prove that nan hua is so popular that many parents will purchase parc clementias (and push up the prices just like the seasand argument)... Are you working in Singhaiyi or vested heavily in the area/market?

Neither.

I just prefer the facts. Plus point acknowledge as plus point. Negative then negative.

As long as based on facts, I am satisfied.

I may have interpreted that website wrongly but I have never said nan hua was not popular but only not as popular as you are trying to describe... so please point out which post.

You are trying too hard to prove that nan hua is so popular that many parents will purchase parc clementias (and push up the prices just like the seasand argument)... Are you working in Singhaiyi or vested heavily in the area/market?

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/education/p1-registration-6-popular-schools-oversubscribed-in-third-phase-children-may

Popular or not popular?

You decide.

But the facts speak for themselves.
    fact: its in the top 6 most popular for phase 2A2.

To be precise, should be top 7. CHIJ St Nic already oversubscribed at 2A1.

fact: its in the top 6 most popular for phase 2A2.

No kelong no guni.
    More kelong = more guni.