Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parc Sophia D9 Freehold

agree that this place will be quiet in coming years. However, I find the roads around Sophia a bit congested. A place for young couples and retirees?

since early dec 2008, i hardly see property advertisements but noticed the decreasing activities in forum. Some threads have been left inactive since mid June......everyone is busy resolving their own problems?

Default Quiet?

Yup... the forum is quiet because most are here to buy or sell property and the market is down.

Most of the ppl here are property agents so they are now VERY busy trying to get a sale in an over saturated market. Did you see how many new launches are un-sold?

I do not recommend anyone buy anything new at this period of time as the main contractor will be squeezed and you will end up with a low quality product. The TOP date might also be pushed back while waiting to get more buyers.

These all happened to me during the last recession. The price is good but you get LESS than what you pay for.

Try bargain hunting on the resale market and double check the unit for flaws and low quality fittings.

Heard that there are a few units left for Parc Sophia and that the developers revised the price.
    At $1300psf is this worth getting? I was comparing it with Wilkie Studio, CapitalLand refuse to budge below $1800 when I counter offered them. Both are almost at same location.

Quote Originally Posted by dazzle
    Heard that there are a few units left for Parc Sophia and that the developers revised the price.
    At $1300psf is this worth getting? I was comparing it with Wilkie Studio, CapitalLand refuse to budge below $1800 when I counter offered them. Both are almost at same location.
    isn't wilkie studio by CDL?

anyway there are rumours that CDL could be in trouble. so there may come a time when they have to start getting rid of their unsold units.

oh yeah.. my typo, its CDL

Quote Originally Posted by ahlahdin
    isn't wilkie studio by CDL?

anyway there are rumours that CDL could be in trouble. so there may come a time when they have to start getting rid of their unsold units.
    So I should wait and tell them that if ever they (CDL) wants to sell at the price i counter offered, to call me?

So I should wait and tell them that if ever they (CDL) wants to sell at the price i counter offered, to call me?
    Hey man, it all depends on your needs and wants. I really do not know what CDL's plans are or their true financial state, it was just rumours that's all. They may or may not capitulate and start selling their stock at rock bottom prices.

CDL have been known to resist maket sentiment and maintain high selling prices for their properties, even when property is fully built. Equatorial, Residences@Evelyn,and more...

Hey man, it all depends on your needs and wants. I really do not know what CDL's plans are or their true financial state, it was just rumours that's all. They may or may not capitulate and start selling their stock at rock bottom prices.

CDL have been known to resist maket sentiment and maintain high selling prices for their properties, even when property is fully built. Equatorial, Residences@Evelyn,and more...
    Thanks for the 2 cents

Thanks for the 2 cents

Looking at the psf at Parc Sophia compared to the neighboring developments, why are people not snapping it up? Anything I should know about that development?

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

I don't know why Mt Sophia area, although near Orchard Dhoby Ghaut MRT station, cannot command as much as the other private properties near Orchard Road (e.g. Cairnhill, Somerset, Paterson, Scotts, Tanglin, Granges areas). Could it be due to proximity to Little India & Selegie & Jalan Besar which make people feel this area is less favorable?

Thanks for the 2 cents

Looking at the psf at Parc Sophia compared to the neighboring developments, why are people not snapping it up? Anything I should know about that development?

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    I don't know why Mt Sophia area, although near Orchard Dhoby Ghaut MRT station, cannot command as much as the other private properties near Orchard Road (e.g. Cairnhill, Somerset, Paterson, Scotts, Tanglin, Granges areas). Could it be due to proximity to Little India & Selegie & Jalan Besar which make people feel this area is less favorable?
    Its probably because of the sleazy KTVs around the area. Currently residing at one of the apartments along Sophia Road and I am not at all impress with the vicinity.

In what way you don't like / not impress about the vicinity? Care to share? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fire
    Its probably because of the sleazy KTVs around the area. Currently residing at one of the apartments along Sophia Road and I am not at all impress with the vicinity.

1. Too many Churches around.
    2. KTV - 5 of them at Peace Mansions, many more at Parklane
    3. Double Parking Problem...I encountered times where a trailer got stuck trying to get through into Sophia Rd.

3. Double Parking Problem...I encountered times where a trailer got stuck trying to get through into Sophia Rd.
    Also land area is a bit small to build 3 blocks and there will be no view at all coz front and back are blocked by other apartments and are very near.

Thanks.
    What I scare most is having to drive through single lane narrow road to get to own house because such road are potential problems - getting stucked by some idiots illegally parking by side of road, or just a car breakdown will jam the whole road, easy to target for kidnapping / mugging also (if the person is rich and become easy target). Not safe for kids to walk along too.

A few comments on that area, other than the above stated.. it is also not as exclusive as other "prime" orchard areas like carinhill and paterson... the parc sophia area is also situated beside a hostel. I drove there once around 12midnight and have hostel students having around the main road something I would not like if I am staying there and besides there is also a school nearby which might cause noise distraction.
    If the mt sophia area now commands around ~1200psf, I would rather wait for gd deals in other prime D9 areas and besides the 2rm @ parc sophia is rather cramp if you look at the layout

Having said that it is also worth noting that the area is also undergoing changes woth new Wilkie Edge mall for example.. some pple might now like the fact that it is near little india though I am perfectly fine with it

Was in that area this evening. Some of the shops are starting to open at Wilkie Edge (Starbucks, 7 Storey hot pot, etc.). There is a Japanese food court (3rd storey at POMO building) nearby too. I was looking at the construction of the new School of Arts (SOTA) building nearby. Seems like there could be a possible new walkway down (or up) from Sophia/Adis Road to the Cathay besides the one that is now part of the Cathay residences and another walkway further down connecting Plaza Sing to Old School. If things continue to develop in that direction and the buzz sustained, it would be possible that picking up a property in that area could be a good idea. Now considering Parc Sophia since it is the more reasonably priced development compared the the others around that area.

Was in that area this evening. Some of the shops are starting to open at Wilkie Edge (Starbucks, 7 Storey hot pot, etc.). There is a Japanese food court (3rd storey at POMO building) nearby too. I was looking at the construction of the new School of Arts (SOTA) building nearby. Seems like there could be a possible new walkway down (or up) from Sophia/Adis Road to the Cathay besides the one that is now part of the Cathay residences and another walkway further down connecting Plaza Sing to Old School. If things continue to develop in that direction and the buzz sustained, it would be possible that picking up a property in that area could be a good idea. Now considering Parc Sophia since it is the more reasonably priced development compared the the others around that area.
    You forgot to mention that there are two Massage Parlour shops at Parklane just opened in Feb. I just got raided on the 17th March. So how can this be a prime area when there are so many vice operations around? Sophia 8 could hardly command decent rents when they are situated closer to Douby Ghaut MRT. There are better areas around and the reason I am renting at one of the residences is because its the cheapest compared to sunshine plaza. Paying 3k for a 2+1 1,000+sqft apartment.

Hmmmm... KTVs & massage parlours makes an interesting mix
    Anyway got it after thinking for the longest time (especially considering Fire's inputs & CDL's non-response for Wilkie Studio) coz i kinda like the area (not the KTVs and massage parlours) - that just a personal taste lah - no offence to those who dont. Thanks Fire for the honest opinion.
    Just jumped the gun & snapped one... oh well.. guess we will be bumping into each other. Went to sign the papers yesterday. Crossing my fingers that I made right decision. They said that they will close the showroom & start construction by this week. Only 1-2 units left. Anyone else here bought Parc Sophia?

What was the psf that you bought at? I like the area too. If it's inconvenient, you can pm me about it, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nusnam
    What was the psf that you bought at? I like the area too. If it's inconvenient, you can pm me about it, thanks.
    Hi nusnam, pm sent

Very simple.

Tanglin, Nassim, Ardmore, Boulevard and Cuscaden area (uptown) is the crown jewel of Orchard.

Go further down Orchard and you get Cairnhill, Oxley and Somerset, which can be considered second tier.

At the very end of Orchard Road, there is Dhoby Ghaut which is the asshole of Orchard.

You can see this hierarchy from the quality of shopping malls of Orchard as well.

Plaza Singapura at Dhoby Ghaut is infested with young hooligans and good for nothing poor heartland kids hanging around smoking, eating roti and drinking beer. They loiter there the whole night because the buses have stopped operating after 1am and they cannot afford the taxi ride back to Yishun or Woodlands or wherever.

The shops at Plaza Sing also damn low class, totally out of line with the other premium Orchard malls.

I thought so too as Ardmore, Nassim, Boulevard, and Cuscaden previously contain the most expensive apts in Singapore. However, I believe that the crown jewel location of Orchard (and hence Singapore) will soon be shifted to centre on Ion. Ion will contain the most upper-class shops in Singapore. Orchard Residences on top of Ion and The MarQ@Paterson (which is a short distance from Ion) have now broken previous records to contain some of the most expensive private apartments in Singapore. Anybody concur with this?

Very simple.

Tanglin, Nassim, Ardmore, Boulevard and Cuscaden area (uptown) is the crown jewel of Orchard.

Go further down Orchard and you get Cairnhill, Oxley and Somerset, which can be considered second tier.

At the very end of Orchard Road, there is Dhoby Ghaut which is the asshole of Orchard.

You can see this hierarchy from the quality of shopping malls of Orchard as well.

Plaza Singapura at Dhoby Ghaut is infested with young hooligans and good for nothing poor heartland kids hanging around smoking, eating roti and drinking beer. They loiter there the whole night because the buses have stopped operating after 1am and they cannot afford the taxi ride back to Yishun or Woodlands or wherever.

The shops at Plaza Sing also damn low class, totally out of line with the other premium Orchard malls.

I thought so too as Ardmore, Nassim, Boulevard, and Cuscaden previously contain the most expensive apts in Singapore. However, I believe that the crown jewel location of Orchard (and hence Singapore) will soon be shifted to centre on Ion. Ion will contain the most upper-class shops in Singapore. Orchard Residences on top of Ion and The MarQ@Paterson (which is a short distance from Ion) have now broken previous records to contain some of the most expensive private apartments in Singapore. Anybody concur with this?
    I believe the crown jewel in 10 years will be Marina bay. If you look at what is still to come both residential and commercial, and how it targets the high come sectors (banks/financial industry will recover, they always have). I also think because of the IR many upmarket brands will try and open up shops closer to the IR, as it will attract people who are willing to spend money (If the husbands gamble than the wife must get a new purse). It will be interesting to see. Orchard will always be important long term, but I think there is a real chance it might become second fiddle to Marina bay.

Very simple.

But then you have orchard towers, smacked right in Tanglin area and you know how many KTVs and such are there, many more and sleazier than those at Selegie.

Quote Originally Posted by kalumder
    I believe the crown jewel in 10 years will be Marina bay. If you look at what is still to come both residential and commercial, and how it targets the high come sectors (banks/financial industry will recover, they always have). I also think because of the IR many upmarket brands will try and open up shops closer to the IR, as it will attract people who are willing to spend money (If the husbands gamble than the wife must get a new purse). It will be interesting to see. Orchard will always be important long term, but I think there is a real chance it might become second fiddle to Marina bay.
    How about Tanjong Rhu? it's just opposite marina bay, and it's more family oriented than the Sail or Icon.
    Any comment on Tanjong Rhu? What's the reasonable price to buy those 99LH projects there?

Default Location

I have to admit the location is not good. As an owner, I will tell you my gripes:
    1) You have to pass 2 ERP to get back home Mon-Sat 9am - 8pm
    2) KTVs and Massage Palours - although it is frequented by Datuks from Malaysia, it makes the area sleazy.
    3) Proximity to Little India - as it is VERY close to Little India, you will get a lot of foreign workers. They congregate every Sunday at the bank and the Little India MRT. Get used to it!
    4) Narrow road - you HAVE to make a U turn just to get out as the road is one way with many vehicles parked on each side. I get tired just thinking abt it...

People who buy this location are being cheated by the mere fact that the govt designated it D9. It is at the edge, ppl!!! It is closer to Little India than Orchard. The pricing should reflect that.

But please go ahead and buy... there are a lot of people who will take your money...

Quote Originally Posted by oxboy99
    I have to admit the location is not good. As an owner, I will tell you my gripes:
    2) KTVs and Massage Palours - although it is frequented by Datuks from Malaysia, it makes the area sleazy.
    3) Proximity to Little India - as it is VERY close to Little India, you will get a lot of foreign workers. They congregate every Sunday at the bank and the Little India MRT. Get used to it!
    4) Narrow road - you HAVE to make a U turn just to get out as the road is one way with many vehicles parked on each side. I get tired just thinking abt it...

People who buy this location are being cheated by the mere fact that the govt designated it D9. It is at the edge, ppl!!! It is closer to Little India than Orchard. The pricing should reflect that.

But please go ahead and buy... there are a lot of people who will take your money...
    your point about it being closer to little india than to orchard ... and hence it should reflect a price closer to selegie's than to orchard ..

i kind of agree and like to agree to that ...

which is why i have been arguing with a friend ..who keeps recommending me One Jervios / Domain 21 ...saying cheap ...

yes compared to Holt / Nathan / RV it looks like good value ..

but isnt it end of river valley ... beginning of Delta/ Alexandra ? nearest MRT is Tiong Bahru ...

so it should be dist 3 price .. not dist 9/10

but your know agent will tell you differrently lah ...

on the same note .. novena is a NO NO to me .. dist 11 ? Sky@11 is toa payoh or Thomson ?? hahah

Not necessarily.. but at least 1 but then it's in town, what do you expect?
    Yes and no, depends on how you think. Orchard towers have many more and sleazier KTVs and venues, does that devalue Orchard Boulevard/Tanglin area?
    Little India MRT is nearby but still some walking distance away, you probably won't see them in mount sophia anyway, unless for those working OT.
    Yes that is the down side that it's a one-way.. no way around i guess unless the government decides to build another u-turn half way.

Yes i agree that it's far from Orchard but then it's much nearer to City Hall and Shenton Way, so it's not as bad as you've stated. And also, foreign students from indo/thai studying at NAFA, SOTA etc might be looking for rental in that area.