Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New condos within 1 km of Tao Nan

Newbie Guest

Default New condos within 1 km of Tao Nan

Hi We are newbies who are looking to buy our first private residential property in the East within 1 km of Tao Nan.

Hoping to look at only new condos, between 1200-1500 area and 3 or 4 bedrooms. Any recommendations?

Unregistered123 Guest

Don't bother about Tao Nan. It doesn't produce better results than neighbourhood schools and has no affiliation. It has the backing of the hokkien association, that's all. I don't recall any outstanding person coming from Tao Nan. If you insist on sending your child to a "elite" primary school go for the Nanyang Primary, ACS, RGPS, SCGS, MGS - those with affiliation. Otherwise, the rest are no different from neighbourhood schools. It's okay putting your child to a neighbourhood school. If he or she is good, he or she will do well and get into a good secondary school. If you have no faith in your child's ability, then try to get into one with strong affiliations. Tao Nan is not in that category - no different from neighbourhood schools. My humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie
    Hi We are newbies who are looking to buy our first private residential property in the East within 1 km of Tao Nan.

Hoping to look at only new condos, between 1200-1500 area and 3 or 4 bedrooms. Any recommendations?

Hi I would recommend Cote D azur and The Seaview, CDA is leasehold while TS is freehold, in my opinion they are the best condos in this part of Singapore, next to look our for will be Silversea, but it is not in the market as yet

Decosia is ok but like many others along Marine Parade Rd, they are small projects, not full condo facilities

MaryJane Guest

Agree. Forget about Tao Nan. It's not worth it and gets your child nowhere. just buy a place that you like and not be constrained by the primary school. I studied in a neighbourhood primary school, did well in my PSLE to end up in RGS and RJC. When I was in RGS, most of my schoolmates were from the good students from the various neighbourhood schools. I admit there is an "above average" representation from RGPS and Nanyang Primary but most were from neighbourhood schools. I don't even recall a single school mate from Tao Nan.

This proves the point that, if your child is bright. He will do well, even if he goes to a neighbourhood primary school. If you child is not bright, the best course of action is to send him to those top affiliated schools, because it is almost certain that your child will be able to get into the affiliated secondary school, as the cut-off point for affiliation is much lower. For instance, if you send your child to St Nicks, you can be sure that your child can get into St Nicks seconday because they accept almost everyone from their primary school. It's the same for ACS, SCGS etc. These are the top schools in Singapore. Tao Nan is not in the same league, and does not gurantee your child good PSLE results or the ability to enter a good secondary school.

In short, just buy a property that you like within your means. If you want to pay a premium to those affiliated schools - by all means if you think it gives your child a leg-up. But for Tao Nan? Too mediocre and not worth any premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered123
    Don't bother about Tao Nan. It doesn't produce better results than neighbourhood schools and has no affiliation. It has the backing of the hokkien association, that's all. I don't recall any outstanding person coming from Tao Nan. If you insist on sending your child to a "elite" primary school go for the Nanyang Primary, ACS, RGPS, SCGS, MGS - those with affiliation. Otherwise, the rest are no different from neighbourhood schools. It's okay putting your child to a neighbourhood school. If he or she is good, he or she will do well and get into a good secondary school. If you have no faith in your child's ability, then try to get into one with strong affiliations. Tao Nan is not in that category - no different from neighbourhood schools. My humble opinion.

Cote D Azur Lover Guest

Do anyone knows whether One Amber , silver sea, The Esta or the Amber residence within 1 km from Tao Nan?

kpo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered123
    why don't you just answer a simple question? no one asks you for opinion about tao nan, only what devts near tao nan.

KPO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cote D Azur Lover
    Do anyone knows whether One Amber , silver sea, The Esta or the Amber residence within 1 km from Tao Nan?

None within 1km of TNS.

Waste time Guest

just buy a home that you like and forget about being 1km to Tao Nan. There are no good developments with 1km of Tao Nan. If you're willing to pay $1500 psf to be near Tao Nan, there are many choices because the prices in the vicinity are not in the region. So it is a moot question - waste of people's time.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpo
    why don't you just answer a simple question? no one asks you for opinion about tao nan, only what devts near tao nan.

vested Guest

Ppl ask about condo and you ppl about school...

Anyway why slam any particular school? If it is not good enough, then keep that opinion to yourself.. did anyone asks for it?

Default New condos within 1 km of Tao Nan

A toad in the well !!

Are you sure RGS is the top school now? or even SCGS and St Nich? Both of these are not even in the TOP5. RGS is definitely not among the TOP 3.

Most of TNS students end up in TOP 3 , Dunman High, Hwa Chong and RI.

I think that is why you don't see TNS students in RGS because not TOP 3.

High IQ but no EQ. Any how slam people schools. So bitchy

weird lah you! Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smartinvest
    A toad in the well !!

Are you sure RGS is the top school now? or even SCGS and St Nich? Both of these are not even in the TOP5. RGS is definitely not among the TOP 3.

RGS not in the top 3??? are you from mars????

HC and RI can compare but how can you compare Dunman High to RGS? It is in a totally different league!

tao nan sucks Guest

Most TNS students end up in Dunman and other east side schools.

RGS girls were from all over, many from RGPS, Henry Park, St Nicks, and SCGS.

TNS = Tao Nan Sucks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tao nan sucks
    Most TNS students end up in Dunman and other east side schools.

RGS girls were from all over, many from RGPS, Henry Park, St Nicks, and SCGS.
    And of course, Nanyang Primary.

RGS sucks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TNS = Tao Nan Sucks
    And of course, Nanyang Primary.
    Breed snobs and bi****s.

Unregistered1 Guest

Total rubbish. RGS was #1. R1 2nd. But now they went "through train" already, so no more O-levels results for RGS and RI. Ever since through-train, the top schools become MGS, St Nicks and SCGS. But there is never any doubt that Raffles is still the top school in Singapore. For instance, the president scholars are still from Raffles, Hwa Chong and National JC, and not the rest. They're a cut above the rest.

A toad in the well !!

Unregistered1 Guest

She is not slamming people's school. She's just saying that it's perfectly alright sending your child to a neighbourhood primary school.

You must be the one from MARS! Those who got into RI, RGS, ACS don't have to take their old levels anymore and direct to A levels! The Raffles is a different league. Just look at where the president scholars come from. Many of them come from the Raffles, Hwa Chong, National JC, MGS, ACS family. I've never heard of a president scholar from Dunman. Just don't make people laugh. Dunman is in the same category as probably River Valley lah.

A toad in the well !!

All the bitchy parents, go to school forum to fight, tis is condosingapore forum !!

To Newbie Guest

Newbie is just an agent or someone vested lah. He wants to buy a condo within 1 km of Tao Nan at $1,500psf! Makes me laugh. The condos there (Joo Chiat?) are almost half the price. So desperate to talk up the property there. Let's all be genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by vested
    Ppl ask about condo and you ppl about school...

Anyway why slam any particular school? If it is not good enough, then keep that opinion to yourself.. did anyone asks for it?

Newbie Guest

Sorry just managed to log on to read the replies. Er no, when I said bet 1200-1500 area, I was talking about floor area. As in sqft. Not an agent.

Need to stay around East due to in-laws. Not sure what the good schools are around the East, but was told Tao Nan is the best bet in this area for boys.

tao nah is a popular school along marine parade

Unregistered678 Guest

The Sea View Blk 33 and Blk 31 is the only two blocks with in 1Km of Tao Nan.

007 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered1
    She is not slamming people's school. She's just saying that it's perfectly alright sending your child to a neighbourhood primary school.

You must be the one from MARS! Those who got into RI, RGS, ACS don't have to take their old levels anymore and direct to A levels! The Raffles is a different league. Just look at where the president scholars come from. Many of them come from the Raffles, Hwa Chong, National JC, MGS, ACS family. I've never heard of a president scholar from Dunman. Just don't make people laugh. Dunman is in the same category as probably River Valley lah.
    still, no one asks her for her opinion about schools, only devts.

No difference Guest

BTW, the "within 1 km" does not have priority anymore. Go check latest P1 registration. So you should be free to choose any condo you like - in or outside 1km. Also, try go for mission schools for obvious future benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered678
    The Sea View Blk 33 and Blk 31 is the only two blocks with in 1Km of Tao Nan.

quality of students Guest

it is quality of stdnts that matters most. I have come across many underachievers from rgs, henry park, acs and they can still fail despite all that expensive tuition n personal coachng. Many got into these schools coz (1) parents volunteer in grassroots or (2) rich parents donate generously. Ths has become sop for entry into gd schools so i lost my respect for these so called ivy leagues of singapore. I cant believe there r still parents buying houses just to be near these schools or waste time volunteering to help in schools like an utter idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicenice
    tao nah is a popular school along marine parade

Bugs Guest

Default FYI

Anyone still interested what to buy within the 1km marked, check out the link:

http://www.elite.com.sg/449761.page

Anyway, there are no big development to buy. All small small condos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    Anyone still interested what to buy within the 1km marked, check out the link:

http://www.elite.com.sg/449761.page

Anyway, there are no big development to buy. All small small condos.
    So for Seaview only blk 31 and 33 is within 1 km?

Bugs Guest

Call Tao Nan to be very very sure.

Address: 49, MARINE CRESCENT ( 449761 )
    Tel : 64428307 Fax : 64435973
    Email: [email protected]

No priority Guest

Go check with MOE. I km rule NO LONGER have priority for your primary one kids and you're in the SAME phase as everyone else. So don't bother about being 1km to schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe6816
    So for Seaview only blk 31 and 33 is within 1 km?

Priority is till stay la. Guest

Q18: What are the guidelines to be used for balloting when the number of applications exceed the number of vacancies from Phase 2A1 to Phase 2C(Supplementary)?

A18: Balloting will be conducted within the school premises and priority will be given in the following order:

children living within 1 kilometre of the school of choice.
    children living between 1-2 kilometres of the school of choice.
    children living outside 2 kilometres of the school of choice.
    If the number of children in category (1) is less than the number of vacancies, all these children should be allocated places without balloting. If after allocation of places to these children and places are still available, priority will be given to those in category (2). If places are still available after category (2) has been considered, children in category (3) will be considered.

If the number of children under the category being considered is more than the vacancies available, balloting will be conducted for them only.

No space. Guest

I don't know about Tao Nan since it is not exactly top choice for most, but for some very popular affilicated schools, no more places left after Phase 2A1 to Phase 2C. Within 1km as good as nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Priority is till stay la.
    Q18: What are the guidelines to be used for balloting when the number of applications exceed the number of vacancies from Phase 2A1 to Phase 2C(Supplementary)?

A18: Balloting will be conducted within the school premises and priority will be given in the following order:

children living within 1 kilometre of the school of choice.
    children living between 1-2 kilometres of the school of choice.
    children living outside 2 kilometres of the school of choice.
    If the number of children in category (1) is less than the number of vacancies, all these children should be allocated places without balloting. If after allocation of places to these children and places are still available, priority will be given to those in category (2). If places are still available after category (2) has been considered, children in category (3) will be considered.

If the number of children under the category being considered is more than the vacancies available, balloting will be conducted for them only.