Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newton Edge (D9, Freehold, Macly)

thanks for ur advice on layout, but when i went down to the site today, i am quite uncomfortable that an old project (Makeway View) is blocking Newton Edge. I somehow feel the other side of the canal where newton edge is appears like a poorer neighbourhood compared to the side where Rochelle, Miro and the entire cluster of condos including Lincoln Suites etc is. If you actually go down to the actual site, you can actually sense the difference in class between both sides. The side where newton edge is is priced at between 1500-1600psf whereas just across the canal is priced at 1800-1900psf. If you walk just a short way (just 5 minutes walk away) to newton road where trilight, L'Viv and Newton One are, you will find the prices there $2000psf and above for the new projects. I spoke to a Wing Tai Manager today and he told me L'Viv is priced historically high in that area compared to the other side (with Miro, Newton Edge etc) because of the address. All the condos that i have mentioned are just 5 minutes from one another. If you are talking about those condos within that same location, I think it is obvious which is the best buy. i have yet to do an analysis of the older projects in that cluster where Lincoln Rd is but I would think any one of them would be a better buy than the new ones sprouting up in the neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    I am not too familiar with the current prices at Newton. Newton Edge may have some upside when it TOP. Just be careful on choosing the right layout. Mostly not quite livable and looks smallish on flrplan oredi...u might get a shock when it TOP.

This 2+study layout still looks presentable. If below 1600psf for mid-high flr...looks not bad. Check it out..hope it helps..
    http://www.propertyguru.com.sg/listi...le-newton-edge

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    thanks for ur advice on layout, but when i went down to the site today, i am quite uncomfortable that an old project (Makeway View) is blocking Newton Edge. I somehow feel the other side of the canal where newton edge is appears like a poorer neighbourhood compared to the side where Rochelle, Miro and the entire cluster of condos including Lincoln Suites etc is. If you actually go down to the actual site, you can actually sense the difference in class between both sides. The side where newton edge is is priced at between 1500-1600psf whereas just across the canal is priced at 1800-1900psf. If you walk just a short way (just 5 minutes walk away) to newton road where trilight, L'Viv and Newton One are, you will find the prices there $2000psf and above for the new projects. I spoke to a Wing Tai Manager today and he told me L'Viv is priced historically high in that area compared to the other side (with Miro, Newton Edge etc) because of the address. All the condos that i have mentioned are just 5 minutes from one another. If you are talking about those condos within that same location, I think it is obvious which is the best buy. i have yet to do an analysis of the older projects in that cluster where Lincoln Rd is but I would think any one of them would be a better buy than the new ones sprouting up in the neighbourhood.
    Your instinct is right.

Newton Circus is like the Taoist Trigram "Bagua". The condos may be just 5 minutes from one another but they are very different.

Hi...

I am keen to consider purchasing one unit at Newton Edge.
    Understand that the prices are fast going up more than
    $1700 psf.

Any advise whether this would be a unit worth investing?

Cheers!

location of this project is good, but the planters and wasted space you are paying for will put you off buying, just take a look at the floorplan and u know what i am talking about

Quote Originally Posted by bunnipet
    Hi...

I am keen to consider purchasing one unit at Newton Edge.
    Understand that the prices are fast going up more than
    $1700 psf.

Any advise whether this would be a unit worth investing?

Cheers!

Thanks Regulator! Din realise that they have added quite a bit of planter and balcony!

Well it is more for an investment and one of my concern is whether the rent would be substantial or not as well. But following this thread, it does appear
    that there is some differentiation just across the canal!

newton area the rental differs greatly walking just a few steps. the side where L,Viv and One Newton is, the rental tends to be a bit higher. The side where Gloucester Mansion and the condos inside, the rental is lesser. across the canal to makeway and newton edge side, the rental will be even lesser i think.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnipet
    Thanks Regulator! Din realise that they have added quite a bit of planter and balcony!

Well it is more for an investment and one of my concern is whether the rent would be substantial or not as well. But following this thread, it does appear
    that there is some differentiation just across the canal!

At the Newton and Novena areas there are quite a lot of condos for rentals purpose which will TOP in 1-2 years' time. We don't have so many HQs or companies in these areas, so it is quite risky to get one to rent out at these psf. And we haven't considered those condos around River Valley which are closer to the business districts which will also TOP in the next few months...

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix
    At the Newton and Novena areas there are quite a lot of condos for rentals purpose which will TOP in 1-2 years' time. We don't have so many HQs or companies in these areas, so it is quite risky to get one to rent out at these psf. And we haven't considered those condos around River Valley which are closer to the business districts which will also TOP in the next few months...
    I am sure you can do better than such generic comments.

How many condos going to TOP ?

Off the cuff I can name the below : (either going to or just TOP with 6-9 mths)
    Lucida
    Zedge
    Soleil
    Mulberry
    Newton Edge
    Viva (maybe more than 6-9 mths)
    The Linc (??)
    Rochelle
    Montebleu (TOP-ed)

Other condos in River Valley

Trillium
    Tribeca (TOP 6 mths ago)
    Martin Place Residences
    Vivace
    Luma
    Martin 38
    Waterford (TOP-ed)

Other areas :
    Lumiere
    1 Shenton
    The Clift
    8 Napier
    parkview eclat
    The Marq
    and many more, please feel free to add onto the list ...

And the list goes on and on ... I estimate that within the past 6-9 mths and the next 6-9 mths there are at least 10,000 units TOP.

As u rightfully pointed out ... do we have so many expats flocking to our country ?

Anyone got expats moving into Sg statistics ?

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG

Lucida
    Zedge
    Soleil
    Mulberry
    Newton Edge
    The Linc (??)
    Rochelle
    Montebleu (TOP-ed)

Trillium
    Tribeca (TOP 6 mths ago)
    Martin Place Residences
    Vivace
    Luma
    Martin 38
    Waterford (TOP-ed)

Other areas :
    Lumiere
    1 Shenton
    The Clift
    8 Napier
    parkview eclat
    The Marq

And the list goes on and on ... I estimate that within the past 6-9 mths and the next 6-9 mths there are at least 10,000 units TOP.

As u rightfully pointed out ... do we have so many expats flocking to our country ?

I didn't realise there was a reply to my post. Thanks for pointing out that I left out the details but sometimes I'm too busy to post too long. I stay near RV and drive around RV, Newton, Novena almost daily, so I roughly know that the actual demand for these expensive new units are not that high.

I had already post my views on where the next potential areas will boom and the expats statistics elsewhere in this forum. The prices at these areas will hold steady or still continue to increase gradually despite yesterday's announced measures because their valuations are backed by rental demand from expats working in these areas

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

I own units in Newton/Novena area for investment (renting out). As far as I know, this place is very easy to rent out (my experience), and continue to be so at very good rental yield. Over the past years, so many new condos have TOP in this area and yet rental is still good and easy to rent out. There are many offices around Novena especially, and there are 3 shopping malls, 4 office blocks (many Japanese and Koreans expats here) + Novena Medical Centre and TTSH nearby. With Far East's hospital coming up and Parkway's Novena Hospital coming up in next year and the year after, demand for rental housing will sure increase.

Quote Originally Posted by DKSG

Lucida
    Zedge
    Soleil
    Mulberry
    Newton Edge
    The Linc (??)
    Rochelle
    Montebleu (TOP-ed)

Trillium
    Tribeca (TOP 6 mths ago)
    Martin Place Residences
    Vivace
    Luma
    Martin 38
    Waterford (TOP-ed)

Other areas :
    Lumiere
    1 Shenton
    The Clift
    8 Napier
    parkview eclat
    The Marq

Quote Originally Posted by hyenergix

I suppose you bought the units when prices were more reasonable than those that are going to TOP. If this is the case, then you have a good buffer and the yield will still be attractive. The risk is higher for those that are going to TOP as their upfront costs are very high.

how can rental yield in newton and novena be good if a person buys now? if you had bought in 2004/5, maybe your rental yield would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    I own units in Newton/Novena area for investment (renting out). As far as I know, this place is very easy to rent out (my experience), and continue to be so at very good rental yield. Over the past years, so many new condos have TOP in this area and yet rental is still good and easy to rent out. There are many offices around Novena especially, and there are 3 shopping malls, 4 office blocks (many Japanese and Koreans expats here) + Novena Medical Centre and TTSH nearby. With Far East's hospital coming up and Parkway's Novena Hospital coming up in next year and the year after, demand for rental housing will sure increase.

What rental yield do you consider to be good?

how can rental yield in newton and novena be good if a person buys now? if you had bought in 2004/5, maybe your rental yield would be good.

soleil so expensive - mm cost 900+k

Anything above 4.5% is good
    What rental yield do you consider to be good?

Even OCR also very few 4.5% rental yield, and those that have are old 99LH, and with no long-term capital gain potential. Just like stocks - those with high dividend yield has low price appreciation potential and vice versa.

Anything above 4.5% is good

so you foresee orchard residences hitting $6k psf from the current $4k + psf?

Even OCR also very few 4.5% rental yield, and those that have are old 99LH, and with no long-term capital gain potential. Just like stocks - those with high dividend yield has low price appreciation potential and vice versa.

Orchard Residences I don't know because don't like those private properties directly on top of MRT station and shopping malls. I predict MarQ @Paterson will hit $6k psf within 10 years.

Orchard Residences I don't know because don't like those private properties directly on top of MRT station and shopping malls. I predict MarQ @Paterson will hit $6k psf within 10 years.
    You are too pessimistic - it will hit 8K psf lah

Who knows? May be? I am just trying to be conservative as I have confident that $6k psf is easily reachable (that is IMHO, pls don't take as 100% sure as I am not "god" & I can't guarantee).

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix

Who knows? May be? I am just trying to be conservative as I have confident that $6k psf is easily reachable (that is IMHO, pls don't take as 100% sure as I am not "god" & I can't guarantee).
    paterson residence gd project? i quite like it...but no firesale now...LOL

I thought you only interested in OCR? Why you bio paterson residences?

paterson residence gd project? i quite like it...but no firesale now...LOL

I thought you only interested in OCR? Why you bio paterson residences?
    i adjust with the flow....i feel measures will impact the most in CCR....big quantums types...not those shoebox

pyschoed by u liao lor...haha

so how.....P R gd anot? i tink better den P S leh

PS & PR are on same league. So which is more bargain hah?
    The Paterson looks much lousier in comparison, not luxury enough, no concierge service, maintenance so-so.

i adjust with the flow....i feel measures will impact the most in CCR....big quantums types...not those shoebox

pyschoed by u liao lor...haha

so how.....P R gd anot? i tink better den P S leh

So which means using the using the ocr = 1/3 ccr, jurong can sell for more than 2k psf ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mantrix

So which means using the using the ocr = 1/3 ccr, jurong can sell for more than 2k psf ?
    paterson area barely hit 2.5kpsf nia....i am sure teddy wun consider O R even at 2.5kpsf

jus for discussion: nassim park R is the most ex project in SG now? i was stunned when i do a chk....can buy D10 GCBs wor

The problem with SG "luxury" property is the tenants don't see the value. At $6k psf, rental has to be $20psf (6k x 4.5% /12) per month to justify a meagre 4% yield. At today's rental, the highest is only $6.5psf? It is a far cry from the capital value and yields poors return. So as long as the tenants don't see the value, it would be tough to hit $6000 psf. So not attractive from an rational investors standpoint, but might be attractive from an owner-occupier standpoint who is looking for prestige or whatever. Maybe in the future, tenants might be prepared to pay more for "prestige" but as it stands today, there is a disconnect between the future cash flows and the capital value. In short, 6k psf not in the forseeable future. Paterson Edge is the worst of the lot. No land and beside a busy road and jump out of condo will hit main road.

I'm sure lots of opponents will disagree. Just my POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    The problem with SG "luxury" property is the tenants don't see the value. At $6k psf, rental has to be $20psf (6k x 4.5% /12) per month to justify a meagre 4% yield. At today's rental, the highest is only $6.5psf? It is a far cry from the capital value and yields poors return. So as long as the tenants don't see the value, it would be tough to hit $6000 psf. So not attractive from an rational investors standpoint, but might be attractive from an owner-occupier standpoint who is looking for prestige or whatever. Maybe in the future, tenants might be prepared to pay more for "prestige" but as it stands today, there is a disconnect between the future cash flows and the capital value. In short, 6k psf not in the forseeable future. Paterson Edge is the worst of the lot. No land and beside a busy road and jump out of condo will hit main road.

tats y i only mention paterson R and suites......

P edge....sounds like newton edge too....and sizes r also super luxuriously puny

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon

Not me. I fully agree that orchard road is dead meat. It doesn't have the same feel as 10 years ago. today it is just the play round for maids and construction workers.