Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 38131819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sea View (D15, Freehold, Wheelock Properties)

Hopefully this episode serves as a warning for all developers and contractors.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    Good estate yes, but the problem is serious. Poor waterproofing is just one of them, the other one is the poor design and/or build of the kitchen sewage pipes, resulting cummulating of "salt" water (Cantonese speak), which gives out foul smell through the floor traps. This one u can't even "rectify". U have to redo the vertical piping!

I really hope the developers, architect, and main cons be punished. It's been a long unspoken fact that u get whatever the contractor built for you, whatever problem is ur problem over the years such practices become the norm rather than exception. Unscrupulous players abuse this situation. Whereas good developers are being ignored for their efforts on ensuring the quality.
    what r the good developers ? jialat, i thought wheelock quite ok one..

Visited a friend at Seaview when it was just TOP. He told me his unit has water leaking from the toilet roof so was disappointed with WL's quality. I tot he is just the unlucky guy since WL is known for good quality. After this saga, I really doubt WL's quality. Seaview recently was also in the news due to car park dispute with the MC. Smell from kitchen piping !!! This can be unbearable. Seaview's reputation will be badly affected.

Wheelock Properties unit sued for S$14m for defects
    Ewen Boey | Yahoo! Newsroom – 23 hours ago

Residents of The Seaview, an upmarket condominium in the east, are seeking $14 million in compensation for defects that have been plaguing the estate for the last three years.

The developer, Mer Vue Developments, a subsidiary of Wheelock Properties, is being sued for what is believed to be one of the largest amounts ever in Singapore.

The main contractor Tiong Aik Construction, RSP Architects Planners & Engineers and engineering firm Squire Mech are also named in the suit, which was filed by the condo's management corporation (MC), The Straits Times reported on Saturday.

Complaints of shoddy workmanship and bad smells in their units abounded shortly after residents moved into the estate in mid-2008, which was billed originally as the "Ardmore Park of the east".

The estate's water bill once spiked to S$20,000 a month from S$4,000, before maintenance staff and experts hired by the MC found a leak in a pipe supplying water to the swimming pool. The leak has been tackled by temporarily installing valves.

In late 2009, building surveyors found at least 32 cases of defects in areas such as lift lobbies, the swimming pool, residential units and the basement car park.

In addition, the MC claimed that the contractors did not carry out waterproofing properly in areas such as the basement car park, causing damage and safety risks.

Residents said the same problem was occurring on the rooftops, which meant that higher-floor residents had problems of water seepage and water-stained ceilings and walls.

The problems did not end there, the condo's management claimed.

Experts hired by the MC discovered that floor traps and pipes in the kitchen were not installed properly, leading to food waste being stuck in the pipes, resulting in foul smells and flies in the units.

The residents were given more details of the case in the condo's newsletter last week. It stated that the joint inspections of the defects by the developer and MC in 2009 did not help to resolve the issues.

The MC said that it decided to sue Wheelock Properties after the firm's lawyer wrote to it last year, stating that they would no longer listen to complaints of defects.

In its claims, the MC said it was "reasonable to believe and expect" that Wheelock would construct the development in a "good workmanlike manner" and that the residents can seek recourse against defects.

Defence statements show all parties have denied responsibility for the defects and pointed the finger at the MC for failing to maintain the property.

Mer Vue Development and Tiong Aik Construction argued that competent and reputable contractors and sub-contractors were engaged respectively to carry out the works.

The latter also blamed the MC for their failure to maintain the property.

Wheelock is also behind other luxury projects such as Ardmore Park and The Cosmopolitan.

A High Court pre-trial conference is due to be held next month.

talk cock lol.. competent and reputable but no QC got wat use?

I see this as only a minor bump in Seaview's long term desirability. As they say in propertism, location is everything. Case will be fought and some sought of settlement will be reached either in court or out of. Rectifications will be said to be carried out and very soon people will forget about all this.....

Then in a few years time following the announcement of ERL, you will see Seaview chiong again to stratospheric levels.

Sounds damn f*** up, developer can't do a proper job. Just condemn then, see who dare to touch their development. Got this kind of bad publicity their balls sure shrink.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    I see this as only a minor bump in Seaview's long term desirability. As they say in propertism, location is everything. Case will be fought and some sought of settlement will be reached either in court or out of. Rectifications will be said to be carried out and very soon people will forget about all this.....

Then in a few years time following the announcement of ERL, you will see Seaview chiong again to stratospheric levels.
    Hahaha bro, u dare to buy ? Sea view with sewage smell n water view on the ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    Sounds damn f*** up, developer can't do a proper job. Just condemn then, see who dare to touch their development. Got this kind of bad publicity their balls sure shrink.
    That's also the purpose of a forum. Collective knowledge is archived.
    Yee ha! Did I tickle your funny bone?

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaSS
    Hahaha bro, u dare to buy ? Sea view with sewage smell n water view on the ceiling
    Hehe.... why not? for the right price of course.....

Negative publicity plus brewing economic turmoil... add on reports of oversupply and government intervention of property markets. Hmmm... I am sure this will weaken some potential sellers. Most of the original buyers are already in the money. It just making more or less.

Again in the long term, I think it is still going to be ok. Must wait for a while for this thing to cook though.....

After they resolve liao den buy lor....hehe

Can drop to 1kpsf anot?

There is a Status of Limitation of 6 years, so the claims by the MCST is still valid. In fact, they moved very fast with all the professional support, from QS, ME and lawyers as well. I believe the MC of The Seaview is very resourceful and with means for such action.

IMHO, the SPs are very bold to take action against the developer instead of suffer from slow death. Also, to expose the work of all these well reputed developer, ME and architect, main con etc to the eyes of public has done everyone good.

Just wonder, what is Wheelock and RSP going to do?

i remember one of wingtai's new orchard condo was also sued in 2009 over workmanship and defect issue.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate

Can drop to 1kpsf anot?
    resolve oredi then different price liao lor.... hehehe

Can drop to 1kpsf anot?
    drop to 1kpsf? haha wait long long. the price is already high with existing issues unresolved. Imagine the price of the place when the problems are fixed (either through repairs or compensation). Kudos to Seaview MCST for taking developers to task for jobs not done properly. So many other condos around have serious problems too but everyone seems to prefer complaining but not taking any actions at all. I suggest everyone open their eyes big big and observe the bad patchwork, discoloured tiles, faulty access gates, rain seepage into common areas, or smells around your condo. It is a matter of principle that developers should ensure that buildings here are built to high standards.

Reuteres the problem is, most SPs are worried the value of their property will be dragged down by any negative news, hence most do not take such bold actions. And developers knew that ! Really kudos to Seaview's SPs. If Singapore wants to differentiate himself from say HK, our court should set a precedent and make some sort of punitive judgment on this case !

August the wingtai case is the glass parapet dropping out from the balcony. If I remember correctly dropped down more than 10 floors ! Luckily no one injured. For that case wingtai faultd 100% on the contractor. Because by design, the glass sheet must be buried down by at least 1 ft. But the worker didn't do it as designed, resulting the glass sheet not secured. Because of this case a lot of new designs no longer erect glass this way. This case was somehow forgotten now, as u can see glass parapet are in vogue again.

The Seaview is in a very interest location, front, back, left, right are all surrounded by FEO...
    so how can the price drops...wait long long

Reuteres the problem is, most SPs are worried the value of their property will be dragged down by any negative news, hence most do not take such bold actions. And developers knew that ! Really kudos to Seaview's SPs. If Singapore wants to differentiate himself from say HK, our court should set a precedent and make some sort of punitive judgment on this case !

August the wingtai case is the glass parapet dropping out from the balcony. If I remember correctly dropped down more than 10 floors ! Luckily no one injured. For that case wingtai faultd 100% on the contractor. Because by design, the glass sheet must be buried down by at least 1 ft. But the worker didn't do it as designed, resulting the glass sheet not secured. Because of this case a lot of new designs no longer erect glass this way. This case was somehow forgotten now, as u can see glass parapet are in vogue again.
    I agree! My condo by wingtai has faulty access gate. You got to shut it gently and then rein it in to lock (or may not lock). Most of the patchwork is just cement with a brush of white paint to cover up. Years ago, windows also fell off and not to mention algae growing here and there. Most condos are too afraid to seek justice!

If you have a toddler, give glass parapets a miss.

this project has TOP-ed so many years ..

i read and hear only good things about it ..

and NOT ONCE have I (maybe us all) read any of whats reported HERE in this forum ..

guess those projects where NO owners dare comment on it .. must have something fishy going on ..

Viewed a few units there. Didn't notice the cracked cement in the carpark. Probably because I was too focused in the broad lift lobby and driveway.

The Seaview has a strong winning chance as I think the Judge will not send a wrong signal to the developers and destroy of the confidence of investors here.

The series of problems in Seaview can convince the Expert witness and Judge quite easily. The question is about compensation and who is liable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    The Seaview has a strong winning chance as I think the Judge will not send a wrong signal to the developers and destroy of the confidence of investors here.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    The series of problems in Seaview can convince the Expert witness and Judge quite easily. The question is about compensation and who is liable.
    expect them to play taichi liao

can drag for yrs?

Cannot be pumping water into swimming pool using water hose for so many years. MC should just seek a temporary solution and collate all these bills for the Developers, Architect, Engineers, and MC and charge them interest when they wiin the case. All these inconvenience will affect rental price.
    expect them to play taichi liao

can drag for yrs?

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    this project has TOP-ed so many years ..

i read and hear only good things about it ..

and NOT ONCE have I (maybe us all) read any of whats reported HERE in this forum ..

guess those projects where NO owners dare comment on it .. must have something fishy going on ..
    Quite right. After TOP all we heard was congratulations to/by seaview owners on how great it was, and how good the developer quality standards were.

Quote Originally Posted by masterkey
    Quite right. After TOP all we heard was congratulations to/by seaview owners on how great it was, and how good the developer quality standards were.
    Alot of ppl complain abt their units at one amber wat

And recently got one guy complain abt his soleil

Alot of ppl complain abt their units at one amber wat

And recently got one guy complain abt his soleil
    what complaints do they have about One Amber?

LOL, very soon, there will be many The Seaview followers.

There is a project where MCST just formed, is checking with me on how to engage QS alr

Do you mean Quantity Surveryor (QS)? Should be Building Surveyor..
    Quote Originally Posted by Laguna
    LOL, very soon, there will be many The Seaview followers.

There is a project where MCST just formed, is checking with me on how to engage QS alr

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    what complaints do they have about One Amber?
    Lots of defects upon receiving keys