75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bullish

38 50.67%
  • Bearish

37 49.33%
Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152025303540 ... LastLast

Thread: Property market sentiments?

Default S&P500 above 200 day MA

June 2 (Bloomberg) -- The rally in the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index above its 200-day moving average is sending a bullish signal after the measure traded below the level for the longest period since the 1930s.

The benchmark gauge for American equities added 2.6 percent to 942.87 yesterday, exceeding its mean price of 926.89 over the past 200 days on a closing basis, data compiled by Bloomberg show. The climb halted a 523-day stretch where the S&P 500 trailed the average, the second longest in history.

Harris Private Bank and Morgan Asset Management say the advance may indicate the bear market in U.S. equities that began in October 2007 is over, heralding more gains after a three- month, 39 percent increase. Analysts who base forecasts on price charts consider crossing above a moving average bullish because it shows stocks are rising faster than the long-term trend.

“That’s proven to be a fantastic signal,” said Jack Ablin, chief investment officer at Chicago-based Harris, which oversees $60 billion. “A lot of investors will view it as a bullish signal and will likely use that as a rationale to add exposure to the S&P 500.”

The S&P 500 rose 0.2 percent to 944.74 as a rally in health-care companies and optimism that the housing market is improving overshadowed concern share sales will dilute earnings at lenders seeking to pay back bailout funds.
    The gauge rallied an average 21 percent over 12 months the last five times it crossed the 200-day mean after falling below it for a year or more, data compiled by Bespoke Investment Group LLC and Bloomberg show.

‘True Bull Market’

The steepest advance occurred in 1982, as the U.S. economy emerged from a 16-month recession.
    After breaking a 374-day slump below its 200-day moving average on Aug. 23, 1982, the S&P 500 then added 40 percent over the following year, according to data compiled by Bespoke, the investment research firm based in Harrison, New York. Only once, when the S&P 500 rebounded above its 200-day average in January 2002, did stocks fall in the next 12 months, the data showed.

The S&P 500’s longest stretch below the 200-day average, an 838-day span between April 1930 and August 1932, was also followed by a 40 percent advance in the next 12 months.
    “If we can break through and stay above, that would substantiate that the worst is behind us,” said Walter “Bucky” Hellwig, who helps oversee $30 billion at Morgan Asset Management in Birmingham, Alabama. “That would not be a bear- market rally. It would be a true bull market.”

End of the Tunnel

The index’s gain since March has restored $2.8 trillion to U.S. equities as confidence increased that the first global recession since World War II is easing.

Stocks began to rise as the three biggest U.S. banks said they were profitable in the first quarter and S&P 500 companies beat analysts’ earnings estimates by a 2-to-1 ratio, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

Overnight borrowing costs between banks determined by the London interbank offered rate, or Libor, have plummeted more than 95 percent since September as the U.S. government and the Federal Reserve pledged at least $12.8 trillion to end the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

Still, investors who waited for the S&P 500’s moving average to flash a bullish signal before buying stocks missed the biggest rebound for U.S. equities in seven decades. After surging almost 40 percent, the S&P 500 may rise just 8 percent in the next 12 months, based on the combined share-weighted price projections of more than 1,700 securities analysts, data compiled by Bloomberg show.

Too Little, Too Late?

Earnings at S&P 500 companies, which have slipped for seven consecutive quarters, will decrease for two more before rebounding in the last three months of the year, according to analysts’ projections compiled by Bloomberg. That would be the longest streak of declines since the Great Depression.

Second-quarter profits may fall 35 percent, while third- quarter earnings may drop 23 percent, the estimates show.
    “The more cautious investors may be stepping into the market, so speculators may use that as an opportunity to sell,” said Peter Sorrentino, who helps manage $13.8 billion at Huntington Asset Management in Cincinnati. “To take the market to the next level, there’s got to be some sign that revenues are going to be increasing.”
    The S&P 500 tumbled 57 percent from its record of 1,565.15 on Oct. 9, 2007, to its March low as the collapse of the subprime-mortgage market froze credit markets, triggered global bank losses of $1.48 trillion and caused the worst U.S. recession in half a century.

False Positive

Harris’s Ablin said he’s waiting for the index to rise another 5 percent before boosting his investments in stocks as a “cushion” against a false buy signal.
    Investors using the indicator were misled in January 2002, when the S&P 500 rose past the 200-day average, ending a 463-day stretch below it, Bespoke data show. The index slumped 23 percent in the following year as investors speculated interest- rate cuts by the Fed wouldn’t be enough to revive profit growth. The S&P 500’s drop came after a 21 percent gain in 3 1/2 months.

David Heupel, who helps manage $60 billion at Thrivent Financial for Lutherans in Minneapolis, says he’s confident the S&P 500’s climb above the average is a reason to buy now.

“The question has been, ‘Was it a bear-market rally or the start of change?’” he said. “That was the start of a change. This market has more movement up.”

Default China's recovery

Business Times - 08 Jun 2009

China's recovery likely to be U-shaped: think-tank BEIJING - Chinese economy has bottomed out but will need two to three years to regain its rapid growth, a researcher with the country's top think-tank was quoted by state media as saying.
    'Although the economy has bottomed out, it is touching a flat bottom, instead of a V-shaped bottom,' Zhang Wenkui of the State Council's Development Research Centre was quoted by Xinhua as saying on Sunday.
    'The recovery will be very mild and unstable,' he added. 'It will not be stable, quick and sustained.'
    Although China's fixed asset investment jumped 30.5 per cent in the first four months, Mr Zhang said that mainly came from government-sponsored infrastructure projects.
    Another critical driver of the economy - exports, which fell 22.6 per cent in the first four months - is a drag on economic growth, he added.
    Mr Zhang said China's economy needed two or three years to grow quickly again, and suggested the automobile, housing and computer technology sectors would be the next driving forces.
    He also predicted that the government would roll out more stimulus measures in the third quarter to bolster the economy. -- REUTERS

Sorry if I had used the wrong thread to post this question. But this thread is capturing attention.
    Yesterday, Sunday Times reporter Lorna confused me when she wrote that the buyer has to cough up 4% or 9% to exercise an option for private treaty sale of pte property.

I always thought it's 9% after paying 1% to obtain the OTP.
    Does anyone know when is 4% applicable??

Thanks a million if someone cares to respond.

Default Coppock curve signals the start of new bull market

http://www.tradersnarrative.com/copp...rket-2622.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppock_curve

Coppock, the founder of Trendex Research in San Antonio, Texas, was an economist. He had been asked by the Episcopal Church to identify buying opportunities for long-term investors. He thought market downturns were like bereavements and required a period of mourning. He asked the church bishops how long that normally took for people, their answer was 11 to 14 months and so he used those periods in his calculation.

Market mourning period is over ?? June is an important month, in case both Coppock curve and 200d MA break are false signals.

I am not sure if I am correct, but my interpretation is when you buy from the resale/subsale market, you put 1% down. After 14 days, you pay 4% through your lawyer to exercise your option. Upon completion date, you pay the remaining 95%.

Quote Originally Posted by louisebrown
    Sorry if I had used the wrong thread to post this question. But this thread is capturing attention.
    Yesterday, Sunday Times reporter Lorna confused me when she wrote that the buyer has to cough up 4% or 9% to exercise an option for private treaty sale of pte property.

I always thought it's 9% after paying 1% to obtain the OTP.
    Does anyone know when is 4% applicable??

Thanks a million if someone cares to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    I am not sure if I am correct, but my interpretation is when you buy from the resale/subsale market, you put 1% down. After 14 days, you pay 4% through your lawyer to exercise your option. Upon completion date, you pay the remaining 95%.
    You're almost correct, the option is to be exercised "within" 14 days from the date of option letter. Upon exercising the option, the buyer is given 8-10 weeks to completion.

Hence the whole exercise will take between 10-12 weeks from the date buyer releases the option to purchase letter to the buyer. The remaining 95% can be paid out in portions of 15% (CPF) and 80% bank loan (subject to bank approval)

oh yeah, thanks for the correction. But now I become confused, why did the reporter say 9% then? hee

Quote Originally Posted by Begbie
    You're almost correct, the option is to be exercised "within" 14 days from the date of option letter. Upon exercising the option, the buyer is given 8-10 weeks to completion.

Hence the whole exercise will take between 10-12 weeks from the date buyer releases the option to purchase letter to the buyer. The remaining 95% can be paid out in portions of 15% (CPF) and 80% bank loan (subject to bank approval)

oh yeah, thanks for the correction. But now I become confused, why did the reporter say 9% then? hee
    Rookie reporter. Even minister had mistake doing head count in Parliament. Don't blame her ok.

so there is no 9%? or there are certain circumstances where you pay 4% and certain circumstances where you pay 9%?

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    Rookie reporter. Even minister had mistake doing head count in Parliament. Don't blame her ok.

so there is no 9%? or there are certain circumstances where you pay 4% and certain circumstances where you pay 9%?
    No reason for 9%. Even is buyer paid 9% or 4%, seller will only get the money when completion. Forgotten to mention the cash over valuation when you exercise your option. As a buyer be prepared for buying. Do your home work first before buying.

Normal transaction
    1% option fee
    2 weeks later, 4% plus stamp fee plus COV (I lazy to go twice)
    8 to 10 weeks completion.

but sometimes your option fee can be 2% or 5%

Thanks a million to 2 kind forumers who took the time to respond.
    I've juz checked the OCBC website and it referred to a 9% to exercise option. In early 2008, I demanded 9% from my resale pte condominium.

Really wonder if this rookie reporter has gotten it right or it could really be a case of 4% or 9% depending on circumstances.

For a new condo under construction, I know the Housing Developer's rules apply :
    (a) min 5% or max 10% to get option
    (b) exercise option by paying up 20% (including the booking fee in [a] above).

But in a private treaty resale of a completed condo, I suppose it's negotiable. But I really thought the industry practice is to ask for 9% option exercise fee and not 4%.
    Maybe it was a case of the super-hot period of 2007 and 1H2008

recent deals entered by my frens, all at 4% option fee.

when market hot, sellers have more bargaining power and ask for 9%. Now buyers have bargaining power, sellers can only ask for 4%?

anyway, for seller really no difference, all seller gets is 1% cheque. the rest of 99% of the money is held by the lawyers and gotten only upon completion anyway. for buyer, the loss is the interest for the "extra" 5% over the 8 or 10 weeks after exercise of option.

fully agree.

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Yap, so why should buyer pay 9% and nobody gains?

anyway, for seller really no difference, all seller gets is 1% cheque. the rest of 99% of the money is held by the lawyers and gotten only upon completion anyway. for buyer, the loss is the interest for the "extra" 5% over the 8 or 10 weeks after exercise of option.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Yap, so why should buyer pay 9% and nobody gains?
    I think this is usually subject to negotiation between buyer and seller. However, never paid more that 1% to the seller unless you want to take the risk due to certain benefits given by the seller. Meaning your 4% or 9%, must be paying to the lawyer.

I can think of the only posibility.

The buyer can only use 10% of his CPF, so he got to exercise with 9% cash.

Default Research Report from Bank of America

Focus moving to mid and high end projects

With the recent success of mass to mid market projects YTD, sentiments have
    turned positive for the overall Singapore property market. Riding on the initial wave
    of revived interest, we believe developers will be looking to move up the market and
    start launching their mid to high end projects which have previously been held off.
    Of the potential upcoming new launches, we estimate more than half will be in the
    mid to high end (Core Central Region) segment. This compares to less than 10% of
    the projects which were launched YTD in the Core Central Region.

New launches will support transaction volumes

We have seen strong new sales since February, holding up above the 1200 units
    level. Given the continued success of recent launches, we expect new sales to
    remain strong. With a boost in sentiments driven by the primary market, we are
    seeing transaction volumes in the secondary market also trending upwards. We
    forecast volumes in 2Q09 to be stronger QoQ and to sustain above the mean of
    4,200 units. In past cycles reversion above mean of transaction volumes is one of
    the key trends which precedes pricing growth.

Supply pressure in 2011 and 2012

We expect positive pricing growth in the near term supported by positive net
    absorption in 2010. However, we expect the market to decline or trend
    downwards post 2010 as “on hold” supply return to the system. Currently, we are
    expecting more than 12,000 and 14,000 units due for completion in 2011 and
    2012 respectively. Given the aggressive new launches by developers hoping to
    catch the rebound in the market, we believe that the issue of excess supply will
    limit further pricing upside post 2010.

Positive momentum for next 6-12 months

We are forecasting a sharp 20% recovery in the Singapore residential market from trough which we expect to occur in 3/4Q 2009 (PPI Index).

That means ppi = 168 by end of year, sure or not?!

Default Banks Opening Up Again

Quote from internet forum:

Latest received from OCBC Mortgage Officer....

"We are back in business. Latest news, we are financing offshore foreigners at 70% quantum. For onshore foreigners (i.e working in singapore) we are financing 75% loan. In addition, we have new SOR rate packages and also new fixed rate packages. Variable rate remains unchanged. Thank you!"

Quote Originally Posted by jitkiat
    Quote from internet forum:

Latest received from OCBC Mortgage Officer....

"We are back in business. Latest news, we are financing offshore foreigners at 70% quantum. For onshore foreigners (i.e working in singapore) we are financing 75% loan. In addition, we have new SOR rate packages and also new fixed rate packages. Variable rate remains unchanged. Thank you!"
    Thanks JitKiat for the information.
    This is very useful.

YFG

You are really one kind. Just yesterday Straits Times mentioned 3 main property index stock suffering sell-off lead by the banks and you don't fart a bit on it.

Only to bring in a bull from Bank of America to this thread with a reverse psychology tune of "That means ppi = 168 by end of year, sure or not?!", ACT as if a greater bull is coming down town to your disbelief.

Repeat: AS IF. (Why you so like dat?)

Quote Originally Posted by jitkiat
    Focus moving to mid and high end projects

With the recent success of mass to mid market projects YTD, sentiments have
    turned positive for the overall Singapore property market. Riding on the initial wave
    of revived interest, we believe developers will be looking to move up the market and
    start launching their mid to high end projects which have previously been held off.
    Of the potential upcoming new launches, we estimate more than half will be in the
    mid to high end (Core Central Region) segment. This compares to less than 10% of
    the projects which were launched YTD in the Core Central Region.

New launches will support transaction volumes

We have seen strong new sales since February, holding up above the 1200 units
    level. Given the continued success of recent launches, we expect new sales to
    remain strong. With a boost in sentiments driven by the primary market, we are
    seeing transaction volumes in the secondary market also trending upwards. We
    forecast volumes in 2Q09 to be stronger QoQ and to sustain above the mean of
    4,200 units. In past cycles reversion above mean of transaction volumes is one of
    the key trends which precedes pricing growth.

Supply pressure in 2011 and 2012

We expect positive pricing growth in the near term supported by positive net
    absorption in 2010. However, we expect the market to decline or trend
    downwards post 2010 as “on hold” supply return to the system. Currently, we are
    expecting more than 12,000 and 14,000 units due for completion in 2011 and
    2012 respectively. Given the aggressive new launches by developers hoping to
    catch the rebound in the market, we believe that the issue of excess supply will
    limit further pricing upside post 2010.

Positive momentum for next 6-12 months

We are forecasting a sharp 20% recovery in the Singapore residential market from trough which we expect to occur in 3/4Q 2009 (PPI Index).

That means ppi = 168 by end of year, sure or not?!

Asking prices of sellers may be back close to 2007 levels, however transaction volume on the resale market is extremely low. I dont have the data of resale volume during 2007, how ever the topped properties I am tracking currently on ura are not selling well despite being on the market for months. I believe the resale volume of topped properties during 2007 was a lot higher. So either resale picks up which I doubt as most condo´s offer bad value for money for either own stay or to rent out, or we will finally get the correction soon.

Quote Originally Posted by kalumder
    Asking prices of sellers may be back close to 2007 levels, however transaction volume on the resale market is extremely low. I dont have the data of resale volume during 2007, how ever the topped properties I am tracking currently on ura are not selling well despite being on the market for months. I believe the resale volume of topped properties during 2007 was a lot higher. So either resale picks up which I doubt as most condo´s offer bad value for money for either own stay or to rent out, or we will finally get the correction soon.
    yeah maybe ... think some analysts now saying W-shaped recovery ... for property?? Fwahh another alphabet coming out instead of L, U, V ....

ya lor...

MM lee said recovery is U
    analyst said V
    Now is W

so wat is wat....

tracking on URA is inaccurate, it will lag. There has been more resale transactions in May but caveats will be lodged later. Which TOP projects are you tracking?

Quote Originally Posted by kalumder

Quote Originally Posted by Acer
    ya lor...

MM lee said recovery is U
    analyst said V
    Now is W

so wat is wat....
    If you go around listening to all this bad news and tell yourself today is going to be bad cause papers headline all the job cuts, pay cuts and whatever w ir u shape letters can be. You will be depressed.

Things are not as bad as it looks. Be positive and happy. Have confident in yourself and our PAP.