Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 23456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Centro

Quote Originally Posted by Regulators
    hi daniel, it is not about having buyers to judge and decide the prices, coz that would be akin to property market manipulation. hypothetically, does it mean that if a rich Arab comes along and agrees to spend $2k psf buying up an few projects in jurong just because he likes jurong, jurong properties would be worth that much in future? Likewise if a goondu is going to pay $3kpsf for the Sail, does that put the sail, st regis and orchard scotts to be on par? i say not. Some condos like Seasons Park, Cairnhill Crest, Ardmore, St Regis, Orchard Scotts and many more are built for class and luxury living which is the reason why people pay that kinda price to live with people of the same strata and class at the very first instance. The Sail is a different animal. If it is being personified, it would be like a rags to riches story. At launch you get all kinds of hdb upgraders buying it and even aunties and uncles with hdb addresses get to queue up to buy the sail at cheap cheap prices. today, with that same mass market quality, it is being sold like a "luxury condo" just becoz it is near to the IR.
    I think valuators in banks have become irrational and bonkers when it comes to valuations coz they cannot differentiate between luxury and mass market condos....
    Why do you guys equate HDB address as poor people or low class people and Pte address as rich people and high class people?

I think those mass market condo pte address are the same as HDB.. and even if u live in luxury market address, it does not mean u got class, It just mean you are rich.

I think it's speaks volume of your class when you think you are above the HDB crowd.

Talking about Sail will interest me.

1) Sellers and buyers set the price. If not, who do you think will set the price? Government? Remember in 2008 and Q1 2009, buyers retreat so badly because economic crisis worsen? Seller lan lan have to sell to me.

2) That stupid Arab shouldn't be rich in the first place. Where got people so dumb to buy Jurong at 2k? You are talking about the impossible. Have you heard of anyone buying at 2k?

3) Now, Sail is the same price as St regis. SR win in quality but Sail win in location. So now PSF almost on par. SR transacted price is 2k to 2.5k. 1 year later, SR can only smell the smoke but see no light. Sail carpark facing = St Regis best facing, best floor.

4) I remember my dad bought a big big HDB flat in bukit merah 30 years ago. Cost him about 20k I think. After 10 years, he rent his flat out (that time, need to close one door). Then he bought Llyod court. A super old house nobody want to take a look now. Think he bought less than 50k. Beside old lee house there and we stay there for close to 20 years. When my dad bought that house, got a lot of poor people, HDB upgraders and all people from all walk of life buying. My dad was one of the poor people. Guess the value now? Whether it is luxury or not, does it matter? So old and you should take a look at the lift. My friends all say look like haunted house. But who cares.. Might not be as nice as st. regis but I am very very sure it is worth at least 2 million now. Do you still think valuators gone berserk? Should value my dad's HDB at 30k and the Llyod apartment at 75k? Lastly, should Icon be valued at 450k? The price I bought a unit in 2003 SARS period.

5) During Sail launch, orchard was selling at 1k psf. Sail also. It is one of the highest PSF at that time. When it reaches 1.7k psf for tower 2, it is setting new benchmark for Singapore. You must use 2004 to do comparison and not compare today price with 2004 prices. Like this how to compare? You have been in the forum for so long, you should know prices go up and down. Sometimes, prices go up more because there are better things coming up there, eg: MRT, shopping centre. Sometimes, prices go down more because got workers dorm like Serangoon garden. Sometimes, high rental yield like Icon will drive the prices crazy. Good location will be always good location. It doesn't change. Look at Llyod court.

I think you are more irrational to think that Sail is actually overpriced. Or you are simply jealous that you don't own a unit there and prices have moved beyond your ability?

hi daniel, it is not about having buyers to judge and decide the prices, coz that would be akin to property market manipulation. hypothetically, does it mean that if a rich Arab comes along and agrees to spend $2k psf buying up an few projects in jurong just because he likes jurong, jurong properties would be worth that much in future? Likewise if a goondu is going to pay $3kpsf for the Sail, does that put the sail, st regis and orchard scotts to be on par? i say not. Some condos like Seasons Park, Cairnhill Crest, Ardmore, St Regis, Orchard Scotts and many more are built for class and luxury living which is the reason why people pay that kinda price to live with people of the same strata and class at the very first instance. The Sail is a different animal. If it is being personified, it would be like a rags to riches story. At launch you get all kinds of hdb upgraders buying it and even aunties and uncles with hdb addresses get to queue up to buy the sail at cheap cheap prices. today, with that same mass market quality, it is being sold like a "luxury condo" just becoz it is near to the IR.
    I think valuators in banks have become irrational and bonkers when it comes to valuations coz they cannot differentiate between luxury and mass market condos....

no offense to hdb upgraders and i never say hdb dwellers are poor people. i am just trying to say you never get to see people living in hdbs queuing up to buy super luxury condos, more often finding them in mass market projects, The Sail having started off as that....

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    Why do you guys equate HDB address as poor people or low class people and Pte address as rich people and high class people?

I think those mass market condo pte address are the same as HDB.. and even if u live in luxury market address, it does not mean u got class, It just mean you are rich.

I think it's speaks volume of your class when you think you are above the HDB crowd.

I agree with you but let's be realistic here lah..

You go 1 showflat and write HDB address and another showflat write MBR. Do you think you will have different treatment?

Today was at the sail. Saw some phamplets hanging on the car door. Then I take a closer look see it is a free leather card holder. It is from RBS and asking them to join as preferred customer. Coincidentally, only BMW, Merz, Audi and those expensive cars got. Japan car don't have. Korean cars of course no. It is just human nature to judge. This is life.

Quote Originally Posted by focus

The Sail started off with psf close to Orchard condos... Now overtake most already.. 1 year later, as I mentioned earlier, smell smoke.

no offense to hdb upgraders and i never say hdb dwellers are poor people. i am just trying to say you never get to see people living in hdbs queuing up to buy super luxury condos, more often finding them in mass market projects, The Sail having started off as that....

St Regis was never launched at 1kpsf and the fact that The Sail could fluctuate so much speaks more of the mkt forces determining the prices rather than what it is worth. basing on ur argument about letting the market set the price, then the Arab who decides to buy into jurong at 2000psf would be setting the trend for such pricing in jurong as well, wouldnt it? You may say only an idiot would pay 2k psf for jurong, but what if that rich arab likes only the area and nowhere else in singapore so who are you to call him an idiot? A Prince who intends to settle in Singapore may even have to buy over hectares of land in Tuas, Sembawang or some ulu part of singapore to build his castle coz there isnt much land elsewhere with that kind of size in singapore. some foreigners would be calling those who pay $2k psf for any property a nut when commuting from east to west of singapore via PIE takes less than an hour.

btw nothing to get jealous about coz i have lived in much nicer places overlooking lakes and beautiful untainted natural surroundings in Edinburgh (Crammond) and as for singapore, I have been a neighbour to people of the Command House as my hilltop house overlooks it (you probably wouldnt even know what the name of the road is coz there are only 5 bungalows along that stretch of road). I dont like to brag, but i do not like people saying that i am jealous, get my point?

Quote Originally Posted by thomastansb

1) Sellers and buyers set the price. If not, who do you think will set the price? Government? Remember in 2008 and Q1 2009, buyers retreat so badly because economic crisis worsen? Seller lan lan have to sell to me.

2) That stupid Arab shouldn't be rich in the first place. Where got people so dumb to buy Jurong at 2k? You are talking about the impossible. Have you heard of anyone buying at 2k?

3) Now, Sail is the same price as St regis. SR win in quality but Sail win in location. So now PSF almost on par. SR transacted price is 2k to 2.5k. 1 year later, SR can only smell the smoke but see no light. Sail carpark facing = St Regis best facing, best floor.

4) I remember my dad bought a big big HDB flat in bukit merah 30 years ago. Cost him about 20k I think. After 10 years, he rent his flat out (that time, need to close one door). Then he bought Llyod court. A super old house nobody want to take a look now. Think he bought less than 50k. Beside old lee house there and we stay there for close to 20 years. When my dad bought that house, got a lot of poor people, HDB upgraders and all people from all walk of life buying. My dad was one of the poor people. Guess the value now? Whether it is luxury or not, does it matter? So old and you should take a look at the lift. My friends all say look like haunted house. But who cares.. Might not be as nice as st. regis but I am very very sure it is worth at least 2 million now. Do you still think valuators gone berserk? Should value my dad's HDB at 30k and the Llyod apartment at 75k? Lastly, should Icon be valued at 450k? The price I bought a unit in 2003 SARS period.

5) During Sail launch, orchard was selling at 1k psf. Sail also. It is one of the highest PSF at that time. When it reaches 1.7k psf for tower 2, it is setting new benchmark for Singapore. You must use 2004 to do comparison and not compare today price with 2004 prices. Like this how to compare? You have been in the forum for so long, you should know prices go up and down. Sometimes, prices go up more because there are better things coming up there, eg: MRT, shopping centre. Sometimes, prices go down more because got workers dorm like Serangoon garden. Sometimes, high rental yield like Icon will drive the prices crazy. Good location will be always good location. It doesn't change. Look at Llyod court.

I think you are more irrational to think that Sail is actually overpriced. Or you are simply jealous that you don't own a unit there and prices have moved beyond your ability?

Because SR wasn't launched in 2004. That is why. Might as well you compare with Llyod court in 1980s.

Actually, I feel tired explaining simple market theory to you. The Sail fluctuate so much because it is in a super prime, investment grade district. As you go further and further, the price doesn't fluctuate that much. MBR also goes up and down fast. So are Icon, Citylights, Clift etc but to a lesser extend. Of course, we won't see Livia up and down so fast because most are family occupied and doesn't attract many investors/flippers etc.

As for the Arab (I am getting tired), it is not going to happen. Your 'what if' is too ridiculous. Might as well you say what if suddenly Government say IR cannot commence then Sail drop to 30psf. So many 'what if', how do we go predicting all of them? I rather we see the fact, see the figures in URA, see the past trend and see some substantial thing, rather than what if here, what if there. The fact is that Sail is selling on average, 2000psf++. Go URA to see the hard figures. So are SR and most orchard properties. That is when Sail is still in a slum whereby Orchard is already fully developed. No doubt, Sail quality is no where near 6 stars but the common area like facilities, lobby, corridor is still acceptable to me. Only the unit interior is bad but spend some $ (maybe the same amount as the stamp duty), it will look great again. The curvy outlook is fantastic and I feel it has to be one of the best in Singapore.

Okok, I know you are really very rich and stay in a lot of good properties but you do sound like some sour grape hinting that sail price should drop back so that you can buy a couple of them and you sound like a kid with never-ending-ridiculous-never-happened-before what if here, what if there. The reality is - open today's straits time classified section and you get what I mean. Call any sail agent and ask them the psf for stack 1-6. Then you call SR agent and ask for the psf for the best stack, best floor.

St Regis was never launched at 1kpsf and the fact that The Sail could fluctuate so much speaks more of the mkt forces determining the prices rather than what it is worth. basing on ur argument about letting the market set the price, then the Arab who decides to buy into jurong at 2000psf would be setting the trend for such pricing in jurong as well, wouldnt it? You may say only an idiot would pay 2k psf for jurong, but what if that rich arab likes only the area and nowhere else in singapore so who are you to call him an idiot? A Prince who intends to settle in Singapore may even have to buy over hectares of land in Tuas, Sembawang or some ulu part of singapore to build his castle coz there isnt much land elsewhere with that kind of size in singapore. some foreigners would be calling those who pay $2k psf for any property a nut when commuting from east to west of singapore via PIE takes less than an hour.

btw nothing to get jealous about coz i have lived in much nicer places overlooking lakes and beautiful untainted natural surroundings in Edinburgh (Crammond) and as for singapore, I have been a neighbour to people of the Command House as my hilltop house overlooks it (you probably wouldnt even know what the name of the road is coz there are only 5 bungalows along that stretch of road). I dont like to brag, but i do not like people saying that i am jealous, get my point?

Agree. When my father brought a property before S'pore build the mrt. Price fluctuate up & down within certain low band width. After S'pore built the mrt, all the properties prices were upgraded to the medium band width (fluctuate up & down within this medium band) but never go back to the prices seen before mrt time. Now, with the remaking of S'pore (IR, all the different hubs, Garden by the bay, new orchard & etc), we will be moving towards the high band width, price fluctuation up & down within this high band width. Prices will never go back to the previous era. Just look at the recent drop in property prices, economic is the worst in S'pore history but prices never drop below the prices seen before the remaking of S'pore.

Clap clap .... well said!
    & can understand why u feeling tired ... seems like only arab buying jurong is not called crazy (but the others buying centris wld be considered as stupid)

*thumbs up*

Because SR wasn't launched in 2004. That is why. Might as well you compare with Llyod court in 1980s.

Actually, I feel tired explaining simple market theory to you. The Sail fluctuate so much because it is in a super prime, investment grade district. As you go further and further, the price doesn't fluctuate that much. MBR also goes up and down fast. So are Icon, Citylights, Clift etc but to a lesser extend. Of course, we won't see Livia up and down so fast because most are family occupied and doesn't attract many investors/flippers etc.

As for the Arab (I am getting tired), it is not going to happen. Your 'what if' is too ridiculous. Might as well you say what if suddenly Government say IR cannot commence then Sail drop to 30psf. So many 'what if', how do we go predicting all of them? I rather we see the fact, see the figures in URA, see the past trend and see some substantial thing, rather than what if here, what if there. The fact is that Sail is selling on average, 2000psf++. Go URA to see the hard figures. So are SR and most orchard properties. That is when Sail is still in a slum whereby Orchard is already fully developed. No doubt, Sail quality is no where near 6 stars but the common area like facilities, lobby, corridor is still acceptable to me. Only the unit interior is bad but spend some $ (maybe the same amount as the stamp duty), it will look great again. The curvy outlook is fantastic and I feel it has to be one of the best in Singapore.

Okok, I know you are really very rich and stay in a lot of good properties but you do sound like some sour grape hinting that sail price should drop back so that you can buy a couple of them and you sound like a kid with never-ending-ridiculous-never-happened-before what if here, what if there. The reality is - open today's straits time classified section and you get what I mean. Call any sail agent and ask them the psf for stack 1-6. Then you call SR agent and ask for the psf for the best stack, best floor.

Any investment grade instrument with high volatility, just let the market decide, it is like buying Apple stock in anticipation of launch of iPhone. When iPhone launched, if beyond expectation, will go up more. If meet expectation, could go down or go sideway. If cannot meet expectation, crash. The Sail's price is very much tied to success of IR. If IR not that successful, then naturally The Sail's price will crash. High risk high gain, no risk no gain.

I agree with you but let's be realistic here lah..

You go 1 showflat and write HDB address and another showflat write MBR. Do you think you will have different treatment?

Today was at the sail. Saw some phamplets hanging on the car door. Then I take a closer look see it is a free leather card holder. It is from RBS and asking them to join as preferred customer. Coincidentally, only BMW, Merz, Audi and those expensive cars got. Japan car don't have. Korean cars of course no. It is just human nature to judge. This is life.
    this is true, i drive a continental make & parked at the wheelock ura car park.. when i came back saw a piece of paper stuck to wiper.. wah piang! thot jialat liao tio summon... then see oh its a pamphlet for some newton pty preview, the other cars around (jap or korean make) dun have ~

the Arab example was just a hypothetical situation to illustrate ur flawed theory. Ur theory is mkt forces decide pxs so effectively u need just a few rich players to turn Jurong into a prime district by manipulatng the mkt in that area

Location good = Buyer willing to pay more = Seller want to sell higher = More money come in = Property up

Jurong = Suburban = Buyer willing to pay less = Seller knows the situation and likely to sell for lesser = Lesser money = Property up lesser

Let's use your Arab case then. Assumption = Got 10 stupid arabs looking at Jurong area. Let's say got ten properties sold at 3k psf in Jurong. You think can change anything? People still continue to buy < 1k psf because got a lot of Condos around willing to sell lesser because they know the location is not good and is far from prime areas. Although many sellers now know their property can fetch 3k psf, geniune sellers will still sell below 1k psf when they wait too long and no buyers.

For Sail, sellers know the location is good and are not willing to let it go cheap. Buyer also know the location is good and are willing to pay more. Buyers can look elsewhere but only got Sail and MBR now. Nearest will be Icon, clift, orchard etc. So slowly, prices will move up until 3k+ in 2007 and 2008.

Supply and demand logic.

the Arab example was just a hypothetical situation to illustrate ur flawed theory. Ur theory is mkt forces decide pxs so effectively u need just a few rich players to turn Jurong into a prime district by manipulatng the mkt in that area

Mkt forces is never perfect. Correct me if i am wrong, but luxury and top projects e.g. mbr, orchard (less for sail cos sail got 1000 units hehe) usually have agents operating in groups to corner or manipulate price. Owners also tend to own several units in the project too.. but this can work for owners in the sense that the high psf acts as an entry barrier, and their interests r protected. Even when mkt crashes the price still remains high enough out of reach of the masses. And when mkt booms & foreign funds flood in the owners hor say liao ~

anyway i think once u hit the prime segment league, the asset wealth more or less is protected to a large extent barring no unforeseen factors like war or natural disasters etc.

thomas, dun bother lah. 6 more months and we'll see lor.

meanwhile, am sitting by the window looking at the boats with their funny hello kitty balloons. gg go tahpow pasta fr da paolos in time for the 820pm fireworks.

eh when we having a beer at harrys?

Many things decide price. Aspiration is one of them. It is human nature to aspire to better things in the future, sometimes even when it doesn't make sense.

A young girl would aspire to own a bottega bag one day. A young man would aspire to own a veyron. Some aspire to be a lawyer. Such aspirations are rooted in history, tradition, and human nature is shallow. But society will always continue to perpetuate this.

Whether you like it or not, the sail is a present day icon. People aspire to stay at the sail, just as they aspire to stay at other icons like st regis, or ion orchard, are deemed representations of singapore's success, and is and will continue to pepper TV screens everytime the PAP shouts how wonderful we have become. There are reasons why these properties become icons, thomastansb and others have already given many.

no one aspires to stay at beacon heights bordered by expressways, longkangs in the heartlands, or centro or optima. Even taxi drivers will say 'har? simi lai eh?' a kid at marina bay watching ndp fireworks, sees the sail and mbr will say: 'one day i wanna become doctor, drive ferrari, stay there' he's not gonna dream of: 'doctor, ferrari, beacon heights'

so tune in the NDP live telecast next sunday and do enjoy the telecast - because ever so often, you will see the sail in the near distance, and probably reflections of the fireworks off the glass facade.

fk lah, seasons park is in yio chu kang lah. the orchard one is called four seasons park.... want to argue also get your facts right lah.

Quote Originally Posted by gfoo
    Many things decide price. Aspiration is one of them. It is human nature to aspire to better things in the future, sometimes even when it doesn't make sense.

A young girl would aspire to own a bottega bag one day. A young man would aspire to own a veyron. Some aspire to be a lawyer. Such aspirations are rooted in history, tradition, and human nature is shallow. But society will always continue to perpetuate this.

Whether you like it or not, the sail is a present day icon. People aspire to stay at the sail, just as they aspire to stay at other icons like st regis, or ion orchard, are deemed representations of singapore's success, and is and will continue to pepper TV screens everytime the PAP shouts how wonderful we have become. There are reasons why these properties become icons, thomastansb and others have already given many.

no one aspires to stay at beacon heights bordered by expressways, longkangs in the heartlands, or centro or optima. Even taxi drivers will say 'har? simi lai eh?' a kid at marina bay watching ndp fireworks, sees the sail and mbr will say: 'one day i wanna become doctor, drive ferrari, stay there' he's not gonna dream of: 'doctor, ferrari, beacon heights'

so tune in the NDP live telecast next sunday and do enjoy the telecast - because ever so often, you will see the sail in the near distance, and probably reflections of the fireworks off the glass facade.
    Guess you love Sail more then wifey.

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    Guess you love Sail more then wifey.
    no lah, pple cheesiow here so my kah chng also chior. me and wifey already agreed on profit tgt - once met sell, dun look back. then buy a houseboat at one15, morning wake up mari kita and empty into cove waterways, sing hallelujah to neighbours in the condos.

no lah, pple cheesiow here so my kah chng also chior. me and wifey already agreed on profit tgt - once met sell, dun look back. then buy a houseboat at one15, morning wake up mari kita and empty into cove waterways, sing hallelujah to neighbours in the condos.
    urs is tower 1 non bay view rite? how much now ah??

Quote Originally Posted by august
    urs is tower 1 non bay view rite? how much now ah??
    from living rm sofa, can see artscience museum to visitor cte. fr mini balcony, the full ndp floating platform. stick head out, see marina sq (luckily the sail architecture has a curvature). 2/3 fireworks from living room nia, but at the price i paid (same price as centro) i ain't complaining - although i sometime kick myself for being kiam kana - shdve gotten the twr 2 super high flr full bay view at 1.5k psf

dunno nvr chk, but i know twr 2 asking now 2.5k avg. mine maybe 1.7-2k?

from living rm sofa, can see artscience museum to visitor cte. fr mini balcony, the full ndp floating platform. stick head out, see marina sq (luckily the sail architecture has a curvature). 2/3 fireworks from living room nia, but at the price i paid (same price as centro) i ain't complaining - although i sometime kick myself for being kiam kana - shdve gotten the twr 2 super high flr full bay view at 1.5k psf

sounds like tower 2 leh.. which stack isit?

ya tower 1 bay view (stack 1 to 6) now 2.5k and above liao

Quote Originally Posted by august
    sounds like tower 2 leh.. which stack isit?

ya tower 1 bay view (stack 1 to 6) now 2.5k and above liao
    sorry i got it tobalek.

we are thinking of waiting to see how the whole locale turns out in 6 months before we start marketing for sale. kinda fun imagining ourselves in segways zip here zip there. see how lah, 6 more months nia, let mr market decide.

I see, know e stack already.
    Pal, who knows. If I had known the market now, would had bought those ardmore II @ 1700psf without thinking.

sorry i got it tobalek.

we are thinking of waiting to see how the whole locale turns out in 6 months before we start marketing for sale. kinda fun imagining ourselves in segways zip here zip there. see how lah, 6 more months nia, let mr market decide.
    6 mths? MBFC, gardens, retail belt etc not up yet leh. In 2 to 3 yrs when all is up then hor say liao ~

go back to your slum lah....i was talking about luxury condo here so only someone of ur class would associate the four seasons park i was talking about to the one in yio chu kang.

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    fk lah, seasons park is in yio chu kang lah. the orchard one is called four seasons park.... want to argue also get your facts right lah.

i can understand ur over-enthusiasm in staying at ur new place, but picture a tired working professional who works in a high-rise office in shenton way, faces concrete all day and can't wait to get out of that concrete jungle to go home to a quiet and exclusive place with plenty of greenery around, a short walk to the nature park or a short walk to the beach. Not everybody aspires to live in the place you deem people as aspiring to live. Unlike some guy you picture staring up at the "office building-like private apartment" salivating, I would rather return home to my balcony which overlooks a garden with a few rambutan trees and take a nice walk in my peaceful neighbourhood with lots of lush greenery and natural landscaping.

I don't stay at the sail but I understand there is a sea there, a bay, garden by the bay, another garden beside the sail. Shit man, should have bought a unit there. knn. Walk finish the garden, can walk across to marina south in future and continue walking the garden. Walk until leg want to break can go IR shop and eat a bit. Then come out and continue to walk along the bay and smell the breeze. After walking tired again, can go eat at lau pa sat or shop below the garden. But it is really therapeutic to watch the sea or bay.

i can understand ur over-enthusiasm in staying at ur new place, but picture a tired working professional who works in a high-rise office in shenton way, faces concrete all day and can't wait to get out of that concrete jungle to go home to a quiet and exclusive place with plenty of greenery around, a short walk to the nature park or a short walk to the beach. Not everybody aspires to live in the place you deem people as aspiring to live. Unlike some guy you picture staring up at the "office building-like private apartment" salivating, I would rather return home to my balcony which overlooks a garden with a few rambutan trees and take a nice walk in my peaceful neighbourhood with lots of lush greenery and natural landscaping.

why is the Sail a hot topic on almost every forum here?
    This is about Centro!

Anyway, visited the showroom. Agents told me that 2bedders are expected to rent out about $2.5k!
    what kind of yield is that when you are paying $1150psft.

yeah...i was trying to steer pple back to discuss centro to no avail in my earlier post a few days back hee. so how was the take-up rate in addition to the initial 80 units taken up?

Quote Originally Posted by cl0ver
    why is the Sail a hot topic on almost every forum here?
    This is about Centro!

Anyway, visited the showroom. Agents told me that 2bedders are expected to rent out about $2.5k!
    what kind of yield is that when you are paying $1150psft.