Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 123456781318232833 ... LastLast

Thread: The Estuary

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK
    the profiles of buyers for The Estuary will be different from those for Meadows. those who buy Meadows are looking for other factors, and generally do not mind that it's not near conveniences like MRT & shops. likewise those who buy The Estuary will look for such conveniences & will not look at the Meadows.
    Convenience is always a major factor in opting to buy a home for most buyers except for the top 5-10% ultra rich for whom it does not matter and rather go for a prestigious location. The buyers of Meadows@Pierce and the project itself do not fall in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by azeoprop
    Just wondering will those microwave satallite dishes turn direction to face the condo? Or are they fixed?
    Does it matter? The dishes are too far and if they had any impact I would be dead by now as my unit has a clear view of these dishes.

the profiles of buyers for The Estuary will be different from those for Meadows. those who buy Meadows are looking for other factors, and generally do not mind that it's not near conveniences like MRT & shops. likewise those who buy The Estuary will look for such conveniences & will not look at the Meadows.
    Convenience is always a major factor in opting to buy a home for most buyers except for the top 5-10% ultra rich for whom it does not matter and rather go for a prestigious location. The buyers of Meadows@Pierce and the project itself do not fall in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by nav14

so what category do they fall into?

Here's a scenic video taken from BLK816. 3.30pm weekday off peak traffic, judge the noise yourself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0xcbhmOHQ

Frankly, I love the view, but hate the traffic noise.

Hi All

I am a newbie here, i would like to share my thoughts and i have no hidden agenda(s).

During my NS days, i was an officer trained in air traffic controlling. After graduating from OCS, i was posted to Sembawang air base as a chopper air traffic controller and i also take care of Ops work. Thus, i know Sembawang and Yishun well. Complaints from residents about noise level coming from the airfield and the choppers are not uncommon. To verify, you could take a day off and visit the area to see if the noise level is tolerable. Then, try to see if you could stand this if you were to live there. Then, picture if you have a flat there, would buyers be willing to fork out a good price for your unit.

Coincidently, i also live near another airfield. My flat is along Hougang Ave 1, about 5km from Paya Lebar airbase. If i go on leave on a weekday, i find it tough to sleep beyond 9am. I hear the planes from Paya Lebar airbase clearly.

Do you guys know that Seletar airbase is being transformed into an airhub? Would this mean more planes will come to land and take off from there? Would there be planes coming to land or take off at night?
    Have you guys driven to the end of Yishun Ave 1 and notice that a new road has opened to Seletar airbase? Could this increase traffice to Yishun Ave 1 heavily?
    Have you taken the street directory to find out currently, where is the run way and have you gone down to observe the final flight path of private jets coming in? (though it is not that frequent now)

I have.

Dark Mage

Here's a scenic video taken from BLK816. 3.30pm weekday off peak traffic, judge the noise yourself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR0xcbhmOHQ

Frankly, I love the view, but hate the traffic noise.
    Nav 14, The above has proven that what I wrote was correct.
    Last edited by BB; 25-11-09 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mage
    Hi All

I am a newbie here, i would like to share my thoughts and i have no hidden agenda(s).

During my NS days, i was an officer trained in air traffic controlling. After graduating from OCS, i was posted to Sembawang air base as a chopper air traffic controller and i also take care of Ops work. Thus, i know Sembawang and Yishun well. Complaints from residents about noise level coming from the airfield and the choppers are not uncommon. To verify, you could take a day off and visit the area to see if the noise level is tolerable. Then, try to see if you could stand this if you were to live there. Then, picture if you have a flat there, would buyers be willing to fork out a good price for your unit.

Coincidently, i also live near another airfield. My flat is along Hougang Ave 1, about 5km from Paya Lebar airbase. If i go on leave on a weekday, i find it tough to sleep beyond 9am. I hear the planes from Paya Lebar airbase clearly.

Do you guys know that Seletar airbase is being transformed into an airhub? Would this mean more planes will come to land and take off from there? Would there be planes coming to land or take off at night?
    Have you guys driven to the end of Yishun Ave 1 and notice that a new road has opened to Seletar airbase? Could this increase traffice to Yishun Ave 1 heavily?
    Have you taken the street directory to find out currently, where is the run way and have you gone down to observe the final flight path of private jets coming in? (though it is not that frequent now)

I have.

Dark Mage
    Nav 14, Another person here has proven my point that noise is a major issue to be considered when buying this condo.

Quote Originally Posted by BB
    Nav 14, Another person here has proven my point that noise is a major issue to be considered when buying this condo.
    Sorry, but my views are completely different about the noise from air fields. I have not lived in Hougang or near Paya Lebar airbase, but I have lived in Yishun for 20 over years. I would like to stress that I have never been bothered by any of such noise from air planes or helicopters, or ever noted their existence. For road noise, as I have never lived near the stadium, this is something that I cannot comment.

Dear tboonk

i agree with you. It is a known fact that people get accustomed to noise and after a while, they might be oblivious to it. Often, residents living at a noisy place don't think much of it after staying there for a period of time but when they have visitors, these people find it too noisy.

Secondly, due to the layout of the airfield at Sembawang, thus the aerodrome, there are areas in Yishun that might not be as affected as others. I quote you an example, if you have time, sit at the void deck of a block at Chong Pang during a weekday. You will hear the choppers. Or, go have big breakfast at MacDonalds along Sembawang Road. You will hear the choppers.

Then, imagine how the airhub at Seletar might come into this picture when it is developed.

Dark Mage

Not all of yishun is affected by low level helicopter from sembawang, only those blocks near sembawang road are affected. N8 west of khatib MRT, some N1 and N7 blocks.

Same for the daily small planes flying circuits in seletar, only those N4 and along yishun ave 1 and 4 (some N6 and N8) can see and hear them.

The middle of yishun is like a no fly zone, the boundary between sembawang airbase and seletar airport haa haa. ( but of course they can fly high over yishun but no threat of noise).

Quote Originally Posted by tboonk
    Sorry, but my views are completely different about the noise from air fields. I have not lived in Hougang or near Paya Lebar airbase, but I have lived in Yishun for 20 over years. I would like to stress that I have never been bothered by any of such noise from air planes or helicopters, or ever noted their existence. For road noise, as I have never lived near the stadium, this is something that I cannot comment.

so what category do they fall into?
    They fall in the category of wannabes who think by buying a condo next to a old private estate without any HDB flats in the vicinity regardless of the inconvenience would make them one class higher than those staying in the middle of or adjoining HDB estates.

Quote Originally Posted by BB
    Nav 14, The above has proven that what I wrote was correct.
    This is what I wrote " Noise from Yishun Ave 2 – yes quite a bit".I later corrected it to Yishun Ave 1. Road noise from Yishun Ave 1 will be quite obvious for residents staying at The Estuary BUT NOT FROM OTHER SOURCES like the MRT, stadium, helicopters etc.

I am staying in a condo in that area facing the reservoir so I am well aware of where the noise comes from. I have got used to the noise from Yishun Ave 1 which is not obvious once the windows are closed.

No condo is perfect. For a perfect condo you will pay a perfect price. There are many more expensive condos in prime districts which face noisy roads and yet they are snapped up. It all depends on what you are willing to compromise on. This may not fancy you but for others the view will be a deciding factor.

Hi All

I have.

Dark Mage
    I have stayed in various parts of Sembawang / Yishun all my life since birth. Right now I am staying in a condo next to the new condo The Estuary and the last thing that has ever bothered me is helicopter or noise from planes. Maybe you should station yourself at Blk 816 and record like what azeoprop has done and post on youtube on what noise you can hear from that area.

While you will be looking at the negative aspect of a expanded Seletar Airbase (not like as if it is turning into a major airport with non stop flights), the buyers of The Estuary will be looking at the opening up of the new Rd linking Yishun Ave 1 to Seletar Airhub as an opportunity to get good rents from the 10,000 who will be working there soon.

Those buying will be looking at the positives while those not buying can only see the negatives.

They fall in the category of .....
    bro if I'm interested in both Estuary and Meadows, I will be in all of the above categories ?

each project has its own merits lah! no need to bash other projects. while I share ur view that the noise of this part of yishun area is not a big deal, I do not get why you have to bash up others like that to support your view.

This project has a nice view, gd convenience to MRT, should be able to command $850 at least. It's the "Yishun" stigma you need to fight more. For totally unknown reason to me, a lot of people just do not believe anything in Yishun can cost more that $700 psf

I have stayed in various parts of Sembawang / Yishun all my life since birth. Right now I am staying in a condo next to the new condo The Estuary and the last thing that has ever bothered me is helicopter or noise from planes. Maybe you should station yourself at Blk 816 and record like what azeoprop has done and post on youtube on what noise you can hear from that area.

While you will be looking at the negative aspect of a expanded Seletar Airbase (not like as if it is turning into a major airport with non stop flights), the buyers of The Estuary will be looking at the opening up of the new Rd linking Yishun Ave 1 to Seletar Airhub as an opportunity to get good rents from the 10,000 who will be working there soon.

Those buying will be looking at the positives while those not buying can only see the negatives.

Dear Nav14

I understand now why you have to defend arguments against this location after seeing your previous post. You actually live there.

My apologies, i have nothing against you.

Dark Mage

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    bro if I'm interested in both Estuary and Meadows, I will be in all of the above categories ?

each project has its own merits lah! no need to bash other projects. while I share ur view that the noise of this part of yishun area is not a big deal, I do not get why you have to bash up others like that to support your view.

This project has a nice view, gd convenience to MRT, should be able to command $850 at least. It's the "Yishun" stigma you need to fight more. For totally unknown reason to me, a lot of people just do not believe anything in Yishun can cost more that $700 psf
    Yah loh, when people hear "yishun or woodlands" then the first comment is eeee so ulu, very far away, not worth the money bla bla bla....and when u say cost 700psf, they will think u crazy.

This is what I wrote " Noise from Yishun Ave 2 – yes quite a bit".I later corrected it to Yishun Ave 1. Road noise from Yishun Ave 1 will be quite obvious for residents staying at The Estuary BUT NOT FROM OTHER SOURCES like the MRT, stadium, helicopters etc.

I am staying in a condo in that area facing the reservoir so I am well aware of where the noise comes from. I have got used to the noise from Yishun Ave 1 which is not obvious once the windows are closed.

No condo is perfect. For a perfect condo you will pay a perfect price. There are many more expensive condos in prime districts which face noisy roads and yet they are snapped up. It all depends on what you are willing to compromise on. This may not fancy you but for others the view will be a deciding factor.
    Orchid Park Condo that you are staying is in a much better location than The Estuary. Not beside MRT track, stadium & major junction. Many times better than The Estuary.

They fall in the category of wannabes who think by buying a condo next to a old private estate without any HDB flats in the vicinity regardless of the inconvenience would make them one class higher than those staying in the middle of or adjoining HDB estates.
    one man's meat is another man's poison. everyone have their own views, preferences & tastes. u do not have to bash other pp's opinions just to put forth your own.

Dear Nav14

I understand now why you have to defend arguments against this location after seeing your previous post. You actually live there.

Dark Mage
    No worries Dark Mage.. what you said is objective and not biased. What he said sounds more like a defensive position and maybe it is due to him staying there. Both can be right but not at the same time. I did by NS near Jalan Bahar and have friends staying around Jurong West... those planes flying around can really disturb you.. even in Jurong Junior Colleage.. So the conclusion is that homes near air bases are prone to such negative factors. Nothing more need to be said.

Personally, I find that the seletar air hub thingy shall benefit more of the punggol residence/seng kang side although all will benefit including Yishun. Just which more, which less.

one man's meat is another man's poison. everyone have their own views, preferences & tastes. u do not have to bash other pp's opinions just to put forth your own.
    Agree.... there are people who stays in 3 room flats who think that they are a class above the rest also... Even those who obviously cannot afford to stay in condo/Semi-D, Bungalow's etc put up appearance that they could... until foreclosures. You see that happening with some Car buyers also.

No need to take it to heart.

I think the guy is just sharing some facts he knows, you don't have to be so defensive. You live near airbase and yet cannot hear planes, how many people will believe this??

Quote Originally Posted by Condorich
    Agree.... there are people who stays in 3 room flats who think that they are a class above the rest also... Even those who obviously cannot afford to stay in condo/Semi-D, Bungalow's etc put up appearance that they could... until foreclosures. You see that happening with some Car buyers also.

No need to take it to heart.
    ha ha, no worries. there is no perfect property n even if u build one from scratch, u will still have your share of headaches from getting permits, the contractor, post-completion defects etc. most important is to be happy with what u have and be satisfied with what u have bought. no use comparing all over the place. there will always be another mountain higher than this mountain. if one keeps comparing, one will never be contented. as long as u can live with the shortcomings of the pty u have bought coz to u they seem minor, then so be it & live long & happy in the pty. like I said, one man's meat is another man's poison. what is unimportant to u may be earthshakingly important to another, and vice versa.

chill....

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka
    I think the guy is just sharing some facts he knows, you don't have to be so defensive. You live near airbase and yet cannot hear planes, how many people will believe this??
    different people have different powers of listening.....it's all very individual. like for eg, I can give instructions to my maid by speaking right into her ear & yet for some reason, she cannot "hear" it. it's the same problem with that guy, me tinks....

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Those are for broadcasting right? Probably omni-directional which means any direction equally bad. I would not want to live close to such satellite dishes. >2km is my rule of thumb in terms of safety but obviously further away is better. Some people will say that there is no scientific proof that these dishes are harmful. It is the same as saying that there are no scientific proof that people living under the transmission cables are harmful but anecdotal evidence and happenings that occur in US seems to indicate that the transmission cables are at fault. Same for use handphones for long period of time by putting the phone beside your ears. My advice for sales people who are always talking on the mobile phone is better use earphones.

Just wondering will those microwave satallite dishes turn direction to face the condo? Or are they fixed?

Dear Nav14

Dark Mage
    I have nothing against you as well. Just that I don't like people who exaggerate /claim to know what noise can be heard or negatives of a particualar location eventhough they have never spend too much time in that PARTICULAR location.

The complaints you used to hear from resdients while working at Sembawang Airbase were from residents from all parts of Yishun and Sembawang or only in certain areas? Just because you used to hear complaints you have assumed the same noise should be heard where The Estuary is located. As I have indicated earlier if one can hear regular helicopter noise at The Estuary then residents all over Singapore should be complaining unless you mean that helicopters don't fly beyond Sembawang/Yishun.

If you hear noise from jets at Paya Lebar Airport, it dones not mean one Staying at Yishun Ave can definitely hear noise from the small planes that use Seletar Airport.

Spend 1/2 day at The Estuary location and see for yourself what noise can be heard before you mislead people. As I admitted (which shows I am not being defensive for the sake of it or just because I am staying there) there is quite a bit of noise from traffic along Yishun Ave 1 but not from planes or helicopters .

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Those are for broadcasting right? Probably omni-directional which means any direction equally bad. I would not want to live close to such satellite dishes. >2km is my rule of thumb in terms of safety but obviously further away is better. Some people will say that there is no scientific proof that these dishes are harmful. It is the same as saying that there are no scientific proof that people living under the transmission cables are harmful but anecdotal evidence and happenings that occur in US seems to indicate that the transmission cables are at fault. Same for use handphones for long period of time by putting the phone beside your ears. My advice for sales people who are always talking on the mobile phone is better use earphones.
    That would mean the HDB blocks along Yishun Ave 1 that have been directly facing the satellite dishes (less than 2 km away) for more than 20 years should have more regular funeral wakes in their void decks. But not that I noticed it. So what can one conclude?

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka
    Same advice applies to you. Can't conclude that just because one is living near airbase means must hear plane noise regularly. What kind of planes (jet vs light planes) what is the flying route, etc must all be considered. Before you make a fool of yourself by insisting that someone staying near The Estuary can definitely hear regular plane noise, suggest you go down and spend some time there. Very easy to come to a forum and declaring something that is completely unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Condorich
    No worries Dark Mage.. what you said is objective and not biased. What he said sounds more like a defensive position and maybe it is due to him staying there. Both can be right but not at the same time. I did by NS near Jalan Bahar and have friends staying around Jurong West... those planes flying around can really disturb you.. even in Jurong Junior Colleage.. So the conclusion is that homes near air bases are prone to such negative factors. Nothing more need to be said.

Personally, I find that the seletar air hub thingy shall benefit more of the punggol residence/seng kang side although all will benefit including Yishun. Just which more, which less.
    YOu are another clown harping on the same point. Same advice. Go and spend some time at The Estuary and hear for yourself on how noisy the planes are from Seletar Airbase before you blindly support other clowns.. Are you guys even aware of what kind of planes fly to Seletar Airbase and its flying route. Why don't you clowns make a recording of the noise of planes supposedly flying above The Estuary and post it on youtube and we will see how truthful you guys are.