mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Private home rents picking up again

http://www.straitstimes.com/Invest/S...ry_524396.html

May 9, 2010

property

Private home rents picking up again

Demand rising in tandem with arrival of more expats

By Joyce Teo, Property Correspondent

Private home rents are finally on the way up, official data shows.

But there is some anecdotal evidence that the rental market has since slowed in some areas.

Data from the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) a fortnight ago shows private home rents rose by 4.7 per cent in the first quarter. This is a clear improvement on the 0.6 per cent rise in the previous quarter which followed five quarters of rental decline.

Leasing activities have picked up as more expatriates arrive, and this year could turn out to be as busy as 2007, said Mr Patrick Lai, director of corporate residential leasing at Savills Singapore.

Most of them are still from the biomedical, pharmaceutical and petrochemical industries, he said.

But Mr Lai added: 'We are seeing a lot of returnees from the financial services - and bankers are the ones with deep pockets.'

Agreeing, CBRE executive director, residential, Mr Joseph Tan said: 'The recovering Singapore economy has resulted in positive business sentiment and expansion plans, especially in finance and banking.

'Some top-level executives were known to have relocated from Britain to Singapore to enjoy some tax savings.'

Experts said rentals for good class bungalows and detached houses are up as their supply is limited.

Area-wise, the city centre is likely to do better than the city fringes or suburbs, said Mr Tan. URA data shows the median rents of some residential buildings in districts 9 and 10 such as The Claymore have grown by 1 to 27 per cent in the last six months.

The prime districts, and increasingly downtown Marina Bay and Sentosa Cove as well, are favourite locations for expatriates because of their amenities, network of foreigners, and accessibility to international schools, Mr Tan said.

As for the other areas, things are not as bright, though some parts are doing better. Rentals for both non-landed and landed homes in the Serangoon Gardens and Lorong Chuan areas, for instance, are heading up because of the presence of the Australian and French international schools there, said Mr Tan.

URA data shows that rents of non-landed homes in the city fringe areas and suburban spots rose by 4 per cent and 4.8 per cent respectively in the first quarter.

Rents of non-landed homes in the core city centre, or what URA calls the core central region, rose the most, at 5.3 per cent.

URA's second-quarter data will not be out until end-July but already, some agents are seeing more supply in certain parts of the market.

'The rental volume is there but lessees have more choices now. Quite a few projects were completed in the past few months and they will have created more competition in the market,' said ECG Property Group chief executive Eric Cheng.

The market did recover quite a bit earlier this year but things have slowed since then, with rentals staying mostly flat, said a seasoned agent who declined to be named.

In particular, the mid-tier rental segment - homes asking for about $3,500 to $8,000 a month - is expected to see even more supply than demand as more projects such as Sky @ Eleven and Southbank are completed, experts said.

An executive about to sign a lease for a three-bedroom apartment of some 1,500 sq ft in Upper Bukit Timah for $3,000 a month said the landlord had lowered the rent from $3,500 a month. 'Rents are very negotiable now,' she said.

Mr Tan said business prospects could remain favourable for the rest of the year, based on the Government's projection of gross domestic product growth of 7 per cent to 9 per cent this year.

'But the Greek financial crisis may put a dampener on the global markets,' he cautioned.

'Although companies may continue their expansion plans, they might not review their housing budget for expatriate staff. This is likely to check the rise in residential rents for the rest of the year.'

[email protected]

Rentals UP?

Really?

Reality often not reflected by mainstream media.

Why?

Reporters are paid to do their job, they cannot write as they like.

Reporter is offline F01 N54 Sheer Driving Pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by sfwoo, 11 May 2010 10.36 am
    Rentals UP?

Really?

Reality often not reflected by mainstream media.

Why?

Reporters are paid to do their job, they cannot write as they like.
    They are reporting the URA data.
    Do you mean the URA data is wrong?

certain area up nia...mainly CCR...when economy improves, tenants staying at OCR/RCR will move back to CCR mah

unless ur ppty at CCR...den smthing is wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Reporter
    They are reporting the URA data.
    Do you mean the URA data is wrong?
    HAHAHA!

DATA is DATA. DATA is not TRUTH. And TRUTH remains true, even if we dunno it.

Do you know URA only posts data if there a are ?more than 10 transactions for the development in the month?

So, you see data for some developments that got a lot of leasing activities.

For other condos, there may be many units lying empty for various reasons, or if only one or two units leased out in that month, will not reflect in the data.

Rentals going UP? REALLY???????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by mr funny
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Invest/S...ry_524396.html

May 9, 2010

property

Private home rents picking up again

Demand rising in tandem with arrival of more expats

By Joyce Teo, Property Correspondent

Private home rents are finally on the way up, official data shows.
    I've already said last December that home rents were increasing but nobody believed.

Instead, some people talked about hearsays from agents and hypothesized about why many TOP condos were left empty and why Hillcrest Villas could not be rented out.

I am on the ground and I do not hypothesize or theorize. In fact the Straits Times reporters are always behind me, like my observations of the price of landed properties here: http://forums.condosingapore.com/sho...7&postcount=25

I think the public will get more real-time information by reading my posts than the Straits Times.

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx on December 29th, 2009 in Pavilion 11 Owners thread
    Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    its not hear-says. i have worked with the agents i talk to for a long time so i know they are telling the truth about the reality out there.

you know that agents as a whole have an agenda to keep prices and rentals up because of the commissions they earn so how do you expect reports of the poor rental situation to be published at all?

anyway, its alright. you believe what you want to and i will do the same for my beliefs. afterall, you are the one who recently bought a district 9 property so good luck for your purchase.
    You think the reason I posted has got to do with:
    1. My recent purchase?
    2. They have different believe from me?

You may be narrow-minded. I am not.

Do you know why I never argue with their observation that rental is bad? Because there are figures readily available to support the claim. There is nothing misleading about the observation.

They made more claims after that. I am just wondering if these claims are misleading. I am waiting for them to provide the figures to support these claims.
    The rental has gone up again.

It is nothing fantastic, but it has gone up again.

I know because every now and then I have leases up for renewal.

In fact, due to the very low SIBOR rate of only 1+ %, the rentals are able to completely cover the mortgage, with extra few hundreds leftover per property per month.

But even if they do not cover, I am perfectly ok to come up with some of my own money to top up because, at the end of the day, I am going to own the property, not the tenant.

In fact, I feel a bit guilty that the tenants are helping me to pay for my properties. Sometimes I feel they must have owed me something in their previous lives.

Quote Originally Posted by sfwoo
    HAHAHA!

Do you know URA only posts data if there a are ?more than 10 transactions for the development in the month?

For other condos, there may be many units lying empty for various reasons, or if only one or two units leased out in that month, will not reflect in the data.

Its true, I have increased slightly my units at Ridgewood and Sommerville. Not much though (10% and 12%) as both units are old and 1 faces a construction site. Nevertheless its considered win-win for me and my tenant as I reduced it last year during the crisis. Difference is I secured a 2 year lease now.

You are also quite right that some developments, generally the older ones has empty units and if you look hard enough, sure can find cheap rental.

Quote Originally Posted by sfwoo, 11 May 2010 10.54 am
    HAHAHA!

You didn't say "Rental is down" in your post but can I assume you mean "Rental is down and URA is wrong"?

If you can assure us you are definitely right and URA are wrong, I am definitely interested to listen to the party that is right than the one that is wrong.

Are you really right? Really???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by sfwoo
    HAHAHA!

mabe ur ppty in bad condition??

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    mabe ur ppty in bad condition??
    Or is in some ULU corner!!!!

You didn't say "Rental is down" in your post but can I assume you mean "Rental is down and URA is wrong"?

If you can assure us you are definitely right and URA are wrong, I am definitely interested to listen to the party that is right than the one that is wrong.

Are you really right? Really???????????????
    Rental is up in some places, and down in some places.

URA is right, but cannot extrapolate to every, single rental transaction.
    Cos, overall...my feel is...rental is softening, and because these developments have very few leasing transactions, the drop in rental is not reflected in URA data.

Quote Originally Posted by sfwoo, 11 May 2010 11.31 am
    Rental is up in some places, and down in some places.

URA is right, but cannot extrapolate to every, single rental transaction.
    Cos, overall...my feel is...rental is softening, and because these developments have very few leasing transactions, the drop in rental is not reflected in URA data.
    So the overall average is still up as those small number of transactions have little influence on the average, right?

OK, I will stick to URA data then.

So the overall average is still up as those small number of transactions have little influence on the average, right?

OK, I will stick to URA data then.
    HAHAHA.
    You can stick to whatever you like.

Have a nice day.