Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scala - 99 years leasehold by Hong Leong Holdings

Quote Originally Posted by kane
    well that wasn't sold out in a day, this was! so why isn't centro sold out yet? they hoarding the bulk of their units? market's already caught up with the initial sales price.
    area wise centro is slightly less prestigious

the locality is great, but i get the sense that people are starting to lose some sense of proportion. LH next to MRT is now like 1200psf min for a 2 bedder.
    the funny thing is...nobody offer high high or even close to 1kpsf for my FH near MRT older ppty

Sometimes need to go with the flow

Most Singaporeans will have cars - but foreign "white collar" tenants, esp the entry level ones don't. So those condos near MRT stations will appeal to them and they don't mind paying higher rental to be near MRT. After all, cars are really expensive in Singapore. Also in Singapore, sometimes the wife doesn't drive and would insist staying near a MRT station.

Quiet and non-crowded areas and MRT station are not mutually exclusive. With the downtown line running up Bukit Timah and even Bedok reservior, these would become quiet and yet accessible area. And it doesn't look like an area where the residents will welcome with open arms a large cookie cutter mall like Jurong Point or Parkway Parade or Tampines Mall to disturb the peace..

So I would agree with your "contrarian" views other than the MRT part. MRT is definitely a plus point.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    i am a contrarian

people buy MM i buy big unit

people buy LH i buy FH

people buy condo i buy landed

people buy near MRT i buy those without

why ? i also practise a bit of propertism ..

in time to come :

big units will be a rarity
    FH will be a rarity
    landed will be a rarity
    quiet/non crowded areas will be a rarity ( no need MRT, cos my theory is every household will still have a car)

well that wasn't sold out in a day, this was! so why isn't centro sold out yet? they hoarding the bulk of their units? market's already caught up with the initial sales price.
    u r obviously not monitoring the market...i just received sms from FEO few days back promoting their Centro and state prices from 1.22mil for 2bedders

anyw, dun get the wrong idea tat i am saying scala is cheap...i only got tempted with tat ground flr mispriced unit...haha

now my waterbank looks cheaper?? similar psf....better layout and nearer to TOWN

What is the average PSF in this project?

Not talking down lah - just doesn't see the appeal to fetch that kind of price for a 99LH and sharing my views. Obviously, many people think otherwise, as can be seen by the sales performance . So many people think it's a worthy buy like yourself.

Sorry, never like this area after the worker's dormitory saga.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    u dun own any LH ppty now rite?

i have LH, FH, new, resale/old....but i cannot afford big big units FH in orchard, BIg big landed GCBs or even bungalows in sentosa...any of them cost 5mil+++ at least...me and my frens always say...SIAO AR.......spend 5mil...10mil(how to find a tenant to cover ur mthly installment)...OR 38mil for a 99LH bungalow in sentosa!!! CRAZY ARGH!!!

it seems tat ppl loves to use the HIGHEST PSF to tok down a project......den they tend to use LOWEST PSF to tok up another

Hong Leong may have used Centro as reference and priced below to sell quickly and not end up like FEO, still hittig fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    What is the average PSF in this project?

Not talking down lah - just doesn't see the appeal to fetch that kind of price for a 99LH and sharing my views. Obviously, many people think otherwise, as can be seen by the sales performance . So many people think it's a worthy buy like yourself.

Sorry, never like this area after the worker's dormitory saga.
    u can refer to my earlier post...i provided an update after my visit to the showflat in the afternoon jus now. lets not tok about studio's PSF as it is often very misleading....2bedder,850sqft(no baywindows, no planters box) from 10xx to 1100psf(such as from 2nd flr)....if i am not wrong, terrene 2bedder from 1200psf...opss...cant rmb!! getting old(only rmb tat PH i am eyeing at the Terrene which cost 1kpsf)

in fact, i am totally not interested in this project....only got tempted at the mispriced ground flr unit

u can say i am BIAS....a project like Scala priced from 1kpsf and can sell so well...I AM A VERY VERY HAPPY PPTY OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, just a little more update. I just left the showrm and counted 111 units left unsold. So 357 sold out of 468 which is about 76%. Pretty nice. I believe a few checks still coming in though. For the decent units left, should be looking at about 1.2x mil quantum for 3 bdrm high floor for just under 1200 psf. 2+1 high flr abt 960k.

Everytime i see something moving quickly like this, 368 and terrene, always makes me feel i'm missing out. hiaz hahah.

Quote Originally Posted by jencrs
    2+1 high flr abt 960k.

Everytime i see something moving quickly like this, 368 and terrene, always makes me feel i'm missing out. hiaz hahah.
    u mean 2+study high flr(such as above 10th flr) only 960k???? den how come i was quoted 97xk for 04-11 which is just a 2bedder, 850sqft!!! 03-02, 850sqft 2bedder was quoted 94xk too!!!!

anyway, i heard prices had gone up...or rather those bot yday(internal staff, VVIP or public individual who bot at least 3units) got some special discount...mid-high flr stack 2, 2bedder was sold 1130psf....but i was quoted 03-02(lowest flr) for 94xk which is 1105psf...assuming 5k per floor...10th flr shd add another 35k more which work out to be ard 980k=1150psf...so apparently discount of around 1-2%....not so bad
    Last edited by devilplate; 29-07-10 at 00:57.

Dun make me work so hard leh haha, ok lemme get the brochure....... ok quoted to me was #15-21 @ $961200 / 1063psf. Prob cuz of west sun and stack is right in front of the mrt entrance. The #15-22 was sold for $1.075M as a comparison.

Just to add some of my thoughts, this place dun really have walkable amenities nearby. MRT really near so that's great, but so what if NEX or J8 is 1 stop away? If i have to go into the mrt, 1 stop, 3 stops or even 5 stops not much difference la.
    Last edited by jencrs; 29-07-10 at 01:17.

we r toking about rentals/tenants.

if D9,10,11....FH is ur cup....perhaps u can make the D9,10,11 thread more active,....it is quite dead now

u will be happier to tok about ur CUP rather den spewing negativities over 99LH/MRT/HDB ?
    i am not spewing negativities leh

i am worried for the buyers , esp upgraders ..

to upgrade is to move to a better location or a bigger place ,

this is a lateral move ..

i am always worried for people who buy with the 'wind' .. will there be tenant forever ?

is there any condo in spore thats fully tenanted ?

for those who buy to stay .. seriously i dun know what is good at that location

i am not spewing negativities leh

i am worried for the buyers , esp upgraders ..

to upgrade is to move to a better location or a bigger place ,

this is a lateral move ..

i am always worried for people who buy with the 'wind' .. will there be tenant forever ?

is there any condo in spore thats fully tenanted ?

for those who buy to stay .. seriously i dun know what is good at that location
    i nvr stay at tat area too...also duno wat so good about it....i also nvr stay NY b4....nvr will too...SG my HOME

aiya, i am sure u been thru 1990-97 ppty bull run? (i am not )...but i am very sure during tat time,...market is at least 10X crazier or hotter den current situation

it is greed and fear....greed to make more $ via ppty investment....fear of losing out....u oredi own a few ppty...same here as well...but for those who owns none....i am sure they feel GANCHEONG....u nvr noe when is the next correction/crash....2011? 2012? or 2015? it is everyone's guess

imagine ppty prices were to go up for another 30-50% by 2015....how??

ppty if dun overleverage not too bad...equities is the killer....any stock can get delisted overnight....bonds??...high risk low gain(lehman bro best example)....FD?? high risk low gian as well if u believe any BANK can collaspe(lehman bro again).....where can we really invest our $$??? can u enlighten me as well???i may sound very bullish but in fact, i am holding quite a substantial % of my total portfolio in CASH now....inflation coupled with low deposit rates is really eating me alive everyday

teddybear is offline Global recession is coming....

Scala vs 368 Thomson, which is better?

Quote Originally Posted by jencrs
    Dun make me work so hard leh haha, ok lemme get the brochure....... ok quoted to me was #15-21 @ $961200 / 1063psf. Prob cuz of west sun and stack is right in front of the mrt entrance. The #15-22 was sold for $1.075M as a comparison.

Just to add some of my thoughts, this place dun really have walkable amenities nearby. MRT really near so that's great, but so what if NEX or J8 is 1 stop away? If i have to go into the mrt, 1 stop, 3 stops or even 5 stops not much difference la.

Quote Originally Posted by Komo
    Hong Leong may have used Centro as reference and priced below to sell quickly and not end up like FEO, still hittig fly.
    Centro at 1200psf +/- is a better buy than Scala. Unlike Scala it is located next to a MAIN MRT line and not a circle line. It is also located next to a shopping centre and not 1 station away.

Centro looks reasonbaly priced now.

Quote Originally Posted by nav14
    Centro at 1200psf +/- is a better buy than Scala. Unlike Scala it is located next to a MAIN MRT line and not a circle line. It is also located next to a shopping centre and not 1 station away.

Centro looks reasonbaly priced now.
    Scala being located near International schools, so more expats will rent it is an overrated factor. How many expats with kids who want to stay specifically in that area due to its proximity to international schools, would want to stay in a 1270 sq ft crammed unit with 4 rooms, which is the biggest size available. I bet not more than 5 families in the whole development.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    Scala vs 368 Thomson, which is better?
    Scala own stay and lease
    368 fh syndrome

There is no great view in this development so which ever floor will do. Lower floor for some stacks might be better as it may provide some shades in the afternoon sun.
    u mean 2+study high flr(such as above 10th flr) only 960k???? den how come i was quoted 97xk for 04-11 which is just a 2bedder, 850sqft!!! 03-02, 850sqft 2bedder was quoted 94xk too!!!!

anyway, i heard prices had gone up...or rather those bot yday(internal staff, VVIP or public individual who bot at least 3units) got some special discount...mid-high flr stack 2, 2bedder was sold 1130psf....but i was quoted 03-02(lowest flr) for 94xk which is 1105psf...assuming 5k per floor...10th flr shd add another 35k more which work out to be ard 980k=1150psf...so apparently discount of around 1-2%....not so bad

Scala own stay and lease
    368 fh syndrome
    Rental at scala will be competitive just like Dakota R and WaterBank.

Scala own stay and lease
    368 fh syndrome
    Choosing between Scala and 368 or any of the new freehold condos nearby like Arte going for the same price as Scala is a no brainer.

Makes 368, Arte look cheap now.

Scala being located near International schools, so more expats will rent it is an overrated factor. How many expats with kids who want to stay specifically in that area due to its proximity to international schools, would want to stay in a 1270 sq ft crammed unit with 4 rooms, which is the biggest size available. I bet not more than 5 families in the whole development.
    Good observation... lots of expats buying for their own use.. save on rental and yet enjoy capital gain. Even koven melody folks etc will shift there... being new.

Bad for the rental market of older condo around there.. but they will gain with higher resale prices brought upon by scared lah higher pricing.

FH is really crappy when it is really old. Govt can take it back anytime, just built a road on it, through it etc will do and give u $1. They will not do it for obviouse reasons but they could if they want it. Same with LH too.. so why pay more for the same RISK?

This project is mainly for families, who find it more peaceful to stay there than CENTRO... as with its pricing.. centro do seem attractive but the take up ratE?

This is launched at the peak of PPI... before any next new peak... any correction later... good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by cashrich
    Good observation... lots of expats buying for their own use.. save on rental and yet enjoy capital gain. Even koven melody folks etc will shift there... being new.

Bad for the rental market of older condo around there.. but they will gain with higher resale prices brought upon by scared lah higher pricing.

FH is really crappy when it is really old. Govt can take it back anytime, just built a road on it, through it etc will do and give u $1. They will not do it for obviouse reasons but they could if they want it. Same with LH too.. so why pay more for the same RISK?

This project is mainly for families, who find it more peaceful to stay there than CENTRO... as with its pricing.. centro do seem attractive but the take up ratE?

This is launched at the peak of PPI... before any next new peak... any correction later... good luck...
    I bet the take up rate for Centro will improve over the next few weeks after people realise it now looks reasonably priced when compared to Scale that sold like hot cakes.

If the expatriates can afford to send kids to the international school, they will want to stay at a better and larger place. One should do a survey of those condos near international school. The no. of buses and no. of private cars fetching kids can tell. In addition, may not be wise to be too close to international schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by cashrich

but looking only at psf and not quantum can also be a mistake.

looking only at Quantum and Not PSF is a big mistake ..

i made that mistake once in 2006 .. regret till today .. learned my lesson already

Actually this one by Hong Leong, so CDL does not come into the picture. Actually one question i have any idea how they decide which developer in the group develop which property (HL, CDL, TIDL {is it part of the grp}....? ).

Quote Originally Posted by august
    woohoo!!! congrats to CDL once again!

we are supposed to get healthiery stronger etc

my mom didnt really have a gynae ..

my dad didnt have a car until we were in primary school

MRT was unheard of

our house was in a kumpong ... had to walk 30 minutes to the nearest bus stop or main road to flag a cab ..

are men and particularly women getting weaker now ?
    tats very true!! what happen to the new generation? too pampered until become emotional & physically weak. what u said is true.....last time u can see a woman with a few kids taking bus to anywhere. now u seldom see this scene. or maybe singaporean are getting richer each day...........

i know the area, stay nearby at Ser Gdns, was down on sun with another friend - a neighbour who wanted to KPO. 5pm already, Agent say quickly give cheque b4 they close at 8pm, showflat not open for viewing. Deadline for cheque was 8pm so that can ballot on wed. Must give blank cheque.., sound really crazy. was quoted at ave. $1200 psf. Agent also don't know launch price on sun. 5mins after i drove off, Agent called my mobile asking me "how". Next morn, 7.30am, raining so heavy, so nice to sleep. Agent sms me, say he got approval to extend cheque deadline submission to 10am on monday. He say can come to my house to pick up. After considering, i replied, sorry, decided not to invest.

My reasons: ( personal - not to spoil pple who bought):

1. at $1150 ave - as stated in tis morn ST - very pricy for 99LH. Even have Aussie & American school, not many angmo will want to cramp into a 1-2 bedder. Most Angmo who already need to stay around the area are willing to get a big 3-4 bedder type or rent landed at ser gdns. My neighbr is Angmo with family. Hus & wife with 2 kids. I see many Angmo families now stay at ser gdns with kids.., some cycling to Aussie school. So for pple who think want to rent to Angmo...maybe possible but certainly not the 1-2 bedder type unless single Angmo - maybe teacher who come 1st before they families get here.

2. Have a cousin staying at " The Chuan" 2 bedder - last time bought at S$700psf, believe it is FH or 999 ..., confirm that although popular with angmo becos it is just beside the Aussie school, most Angmo with families won't cramp into a 2 bedder there. In the morning, Lor Chuan road is jammed...on the way to Braddell towards CTE.

3. Have an auntie - staying at Chuan Park, 99LH ...also 2 bedder...bought at $500k for 1173k sft apartment. Checked URA website, in June such unit transacted at S$900k, work out to be $700+psf.

Although old, but spacious, potential en-bloc type...30yrs already, Chuan Park condo is just beside MRT also, right at the junction. If want to invest and rent, believe Chuan Park give better yield.

4. Then you have FH condo Golden Hill Park Condo at Mei Hwan drive, actually it is just opposite Chuan Park Condo, years ago when launched i went to see, launch at S$700 psf. Check URA website in Jul 2010, transacted at S$1.068mil for 926 sft 2bedder, work out about $1154 psf. This one have side gate...just opposite MRT entrance at the traffic light junction. Convenient also. Just no covered linkway.

5. Therefore, give all the above thinking, i decided not to invest. For me, 99 yrs...in bullish market, best rental yield compared to FH, in term of crisis, 1st to plunge, be prepared to lose 30-40% and when mkt recover, flavour of investors changed already, may not recover to launch or pre-crisis price. This we have seen in 1997 crisis or last year.

For me, if have $1.5mil, instead of investing in a 4 bedder at Scala - only 99LH , 1270 sqft, i would rather scout of landed - 999 at Ser Gdns, just across the road, at lanes like Cardiff Grove, Colcester Drv, still have smaller units of land 1840sft type single story, build-in area of 1400sft...take $100k to do simple reno and enjoy. No need to pay parking lot or maintenance. Want facilities, join Serangoon Gardens country club (market is only abt $16k membership - now on wkend many angmo there as Term member), no need to pay condo maintenance.

Just some thoughts. For buyers who buy to stay, safer bet - UP or Down, no need to care so much. For Investors who want to rent, few condos next to Scala give better yields..., for investors who want to flip...- lock in fast when you see profits becos Singapore economy is good this year, am sure you can make some $$ before Dec...

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by scsc
    my July guess (include Scala sales in July) 1200 units
    With the high sales figures for Scala, I up my guess for July to 1250 units which is 47% higher than June. to the developers.

wow.... price not cheap but still selling like hot cakes...

New benchmark for tat area rite ?

Just look at all our primary schools building the sheltered courts so that they like the parents can give the students a sheltered life.

Quote Originally Posted by ay123
    tats very true!! what happen to the new generation? too pampered until become emotional & physically weak. what u said is true.....last time u can see a woman with a few kids taking bus to anywhere. now u seldom see this scene. or maybe singaporean are getting richer each day...........

I think so too. Cut me the crap that Serangoon Ave 3 is more "prestigious" than Ang Mo Kio. Look at the surroundings - HDB flats and more concrete. The condo design is so bland that in fact looks exactly like the HDB flats nearby. 10 stops to Raffles Place MRT station which is further from the city centre than Jurong (9 stops)? From the news, it appears than most buyers are HDB upgraders or "investors" - one expert even came out to say buy at $1150psf can immediately flip at $1250 psf. And for drivers, CTE jam is not for the faint-hearted - you probably reach the office much later than anyone else at other far ends of Singapore if you come out at the same time - that after paying $10 of ERP everyday.

I hope the govt won't come up with cooling measures after this. After all, many of the resale are not fetching that kind of prices

I bet the take up rate for Centro will improve over the next few weeks after people realise it now looks reasonably priced when compared to Scale that sold like hot cakes.
    Last edited by Wild Falcon; 29-07-10 at 10:23.