Thread: Singapore land swap to be finalised in 3 months

Default Singapore land swap to be finalised in 3 months

June 23rd, 2010 | Author: Your Correspondent
    By Adib Zalkapli from The Malaysian Insider

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong met Datuk Seri Najib Razak today and made his government’s official offer to the Malaysian government for a swap deal involving Keretapi Tanah Melayu Berhad (KTMB) land in Singapore.

“Both leaders had a productive meeting on the land swap offer and discussed some initial responses,” said a joint statement from Najib and Lee.

“Both leaders agreed to study the matter further and to meet again in three months’ time after Hari Raya Aidilfitri to finalise the land swap decision,” it added.

Speaking to reporters after the bilateral meeting which lasted almost one hour, Najib said Malaysia would first study the proposal before making a final decision in three months.

“I wish to thank him for the offer. I conveyed to him our position that we will look into it in great detail and we both agreed that the final land swap decision should be finalised within three months from today,” said Najib, adding that he would make another visit to the republic within the period.

“Our discussion today was very warm, very positive and I thank Prime Minister Lee for being very flexible with intention that there will be a final resolution to the POA,” he said at the joint press conference with Lee.

Lee described the final resolution to the Points of Agreement (POA) signed in 1990 as a major decision for Malaysia.

“I had a useful exchange with the PM today and we exchanged some preliminary perspective and views but this is a major decision so Malaysia will think it over further and Singapore will take back comments Malaysia has made and consider them,” he added.

Lee, however, sidestepped the question over disagreement to Singapore’s land swap offer.

“There are specifics which we have made because the overall concept is to swap the three plus three pieces of KTM land with parcels of land in Marina South and/or Ophir Rochor of equivalent value,” said Lee.

“So I have a proposal, laying out several variations for the PM to choose from,” he added.

The meeting today also saw the two leaders agreeing to reduce toll charges at the Second Link by 30 per cent with effect from August to increase use of the bridge.

Last month, the two countries agreed to relocate to Woodlands the 78-year-old Tanjong Pagar railway station operated by KTMB.

The relocation, to take place on July 1 next year, marks a major step in resolving a number of outstanding bilateral issues between the two countries.

Under the agreement last month, the three parcels of KTMB land in Tanjong Pagar, Kranji and Woodlands and three additional pieces of land in Bukit Timah will be vested in the jointly owned M-S Pte Ltd for joint development, which in turn, could be swapped, on the basis of equivalent value, for pieces of land in Marina South and/or Ophir Rochor. – The Malaysian Insider

What impact for prices near the area that get selected?

What happened to "Reporter"? Has he gone on strike?

Now everyone has to do Reporter's job.

"august" had to post the "Prime property prices set to rise" news in the Property market sentiments 2010 thread, which normally would have been posted by Reporter first thing in the morning.

Now even Property_Owner, the Lǎo Dà (Big Brother) in this forum, has to report this railway track news!

Quote Originally Posted by jlrx
    What happened to "Reporter"? Has he gone on strike?

Now everyone has to do Reporter's job.

"august" had to post the "Prime property prices set to rise" news in the Property market sentiments 2010 thread, which normally would have been posted by Reporter first thing in the morning.

Now even Property_Owner, the Lǎo Dà (Big Brother) in this forum, has to report this railway track news!
    no lah

you got it wrong

its always Funny who posts all news

Reporter only reports when a $$ is indicated

I suspect the Malaysians will swap for prime land in Rochor or Marina South. In short, those railway track land will likely to taken back - as to future developments - no one knows but various ideas have been discussed, e.g. cycling trail etc. But I think the impact for property near the tracks will be mostly positive as there will no longer be train noise(choo choo!) in the future bah. Also, the ability to "cut across" the track means increased accessibility for the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner

i am not sure but i was thinking, govt use such high cost to buy the track land back. surely they will build something on it to supposedly "add value"? sadly, cycling track etc seems too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    I suspect the Malaysians will swap for prime land in Rochor or Marina South. In short, those railway track land will likely to taken back - as to future developments - no one knows but various ideas have been discussed, e.g. cycling trail etc. But I think the impact for property near the tracks will be mostly positive as there will no longer be train noise(choo choo!) in the future bah. Also, the ability to "cut across" the track means increased accessibility for the area.

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    no lah

you got it wrong

its always Funny who posts all news

Reporter only reports when a $$ is indicated
    ya he wil rpt al the new highs psf in bright red

Quote Originally Posted by bargain hunter
    i am not sure but i was thinking, govt use such high cost to buy the track land back. surely they will build something on it to supposedly "add value"? sadly, cycling track etc seems too good to be true.
    I'm pretty sure that the further south the track is, the less likely it will be converted into a cycling/jogging track/naturewalk etc. But I'm hoping they will convert it for areas towards bukit timah nature reserve. But I'm biased towards that of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Falcon
    But I think the impact for property near the tracks will be mostly positive as there will no longer be train noise(choo choo!) in the future bah. Also, the ability to "cut across" the track means increased accessibility for the area.
    Funny thing I read on propertyguru, the train's proximity was used as one of the "must buy" reasons. An excerpt goes "Malaysian KTM railway track just metres away from development. Get to experience the too too train at close range!!!".

I believe that the whole area around Tanjong Pagar side will be redeveloped in conjuction with the redevelopment of the Port after its relocation when the contract end around 2027 (if I remember correctly)

Then, the whole stretch from the current station side, to the Port follow by the harbourfront side will be a complete complete piece.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    i think hor, rochor-marina area will be favoured, coz of southbeach... mega project, its an up and coming area.... so it will be a sort of a hub... if managed properly, shld be able to attract the crowd and increase the land value...

as for the rail way station, my proposal is to declare it as a conserved building, and allow developer to build 88 stories high condo just beside/behind the station, like in Hong Kong...

at the same time, it has potential to be turned into tourist attraction, refresh the track and link it to both the IRs.... so hor, when the gamblers wan to change luck, can just take the train, from 1 IR to another one, like play mahjong change place like that lar...

good idea? heee....

fc

even though i am not vested, i would like to see a cycling track etc and i definitely think it makes sense for the non central part. but i just feel that the cost of buying this land possibly means that's not going to happen. but i still wonder what other commercial stuff they can build on such a long and narrow track.

Quote Originally Posted by jencrs
    I'm pretty sure that the further south the track is, the less likely it will be converted into a cycling/jogging track/naturewalk etc. But I'm hoping they will convert it for areas towards bukit timah nature reserve. But I'm biased towards that of course.

but if the station is cleared out in next few years, surely they won't just let it rot for the next 15 years rite? perhaps some advance planning that will complement the port relocation.

Quote Originally Posted by kali-yuga
    I believe that the whole area around Tanjong Pagar side will be redeveloped in conjuction with the redevelopment of the Port after its relocation when the contract end around 2027 (if I remember correctly)

Then, the whole stretch from the current station side, to the Port follow by the harbourfront side will be a complete complete piece.

Just my 2 cents.