Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenancy ended

Default Tenancy ended

Tenancy ended, I went up to meet ex-tenants to collect keys and walk around the apartment...

They managed to break 3 of 5 lampshades(glass), impossible to replace as the lamp is 6 years old and replacement shades probably not made anymore. They drilled holes into the wall to hand LCD TV, pictures and told me they had no time to putty over and paint back for me. They noticed some water marks in the false ceiling in the bath room months ago, but ignored it, and when I looked...the false ceiling falling to bits with large hole already. They also managed to misplace one air cond remote, and replaced with another generic one, that does not work.

Looks like the rental deposit of one month's rent is not enough to cover.

And they have flown out of the country...

Quote Originally Posted by sfwoo
    Tenancy ended, I went up to meet ex-tenants to collect keys and walk around the apartment...

They managed to break 3 of 5 lampshades(glass), impossible to replace as the lamp is 6 years old and replacement shades probably not made anymore. They drilled holes into the wall to hand LCD TV, pictures and told me they had no time to putty over and paint back for me. They noticed some water marks in the false ceiling in the bath room months ago, but ignored it, and when I looked...the false ceiling falling to bits with large hole already. They also managed to misplace one air cond remote, and replaced with another generic one, that does not work.

Looks like the rental deposit of one month's rent is not enough to cover.

And they have flown out of the country...
    tats not so bad...i kana worse den tat....very very bad till i goto spend 30k to reno the whole hse(imagine tat keep cats!!!)....tats y i always demand 2mths deposit regardless 1 or 2 yrs tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by devilplate
    tats not so bad...i kana worse den tat....very very bad till i goto spend 30k to reno the whole hse(imagine tat keep cats!!!)....tats y i always demand 2mths deposit regardless 1 or 2 yrs tenure.
    Wah!
    $30K!
    2 months' deposit also cannot cover, unless rental was $15K pm?

shucks... that's terrible.

Shucks... sorry to hear about that. Maybe only to lease to companies next time?

my sympathies. some pple are terrible tenants. but actually really can't tell beforehand.

the worse part is to hack the aircon piping as it is concealed....tenants will on 24hrs and pipes will start to sweat and they nvr service the aircon for 2 whole damn yrs! imagine my poor walls and bathroom ceilings

anw, for tat unit i decide to do a full reno....kitchen, flooring, pipes and bathrms...tats y cost me 30k...

actually, 2 months rental really not enough especially when some of the cost of materials are going up. should make it like 4months security deposit.

the worse part is to hack the aircon piping as it is concealed....tenants will on 24hrs and pipes will start to sweat and they nvr service the aircon for 2 whole damn yrs! imagine my poor walls and bathroom ceilings

anw, for tat unit i decide to do a full reno....kitchen, flooring, pipes and bathrms...tats y cost me 30k...
    consider this .. i did it and worked ..

i mark up the rental a little more..and get the aricon service contract myself ..

that way i know the aircon is being serviced well ..

Have a tenant who switch air-conditioner 24/7 and complained of condensates from the air-conditioners. Ask them to service air-condition more frequently like once every 2 months instead of quarterly.

The Tenancy agreement should include a clause where the tenant after moving in for one month of to forward a copy of the air-con service contract to me. We can at least track from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Have a tenant who switch air-conditioner 24/7 and complained of condensates from the air-conditioners. Ask them to service air-condition more frequently like once every 2 months instead of quarterly.

The Tenancy agreement should include a clause where the tenant after moving in for one month of to forward a copy of the air-con service contract to me. We can at least track from time to time.
    one drawback is that ...they may have the contract but dont follow up ..

and aircon service company ..if tenant dont call ..they also dont care

Your house is your most treasured asset - make it a point to try to visit one in a while to check on it. If the tenants are around and not travelling, drop by on pretext of giving mooncakes etc etc. That's what public holidays are for! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    Your house is your most treasured asset - make it a point to try to visit one in a while to check on it. If the tenants are around and not travelling, drop by on pretext of giving mooncakes etc etc. That's what public holidays are for! LOL
    pros and cons ...

getting to close to tenant subject yourself to.."as friends, can do this do that for me"

i do agree that once in a while ..just drive by and take a look( landed) from outside

since i am oversea..i visited it once during home leave at lunar new year..
    guess what ?

tenant told me " i hope you are not moving back to singapore too soon..cos i am not planning to move out yet"

good that they like my house ...

i am quite blessed .. my tenants so far have been really good.

the current one even emailed me ..about the Opennet fibre optic installation .. and forwarded me all the forms etc ..so that they (tenant) can oversee the works..

meanwhile my friend's tenant ..couldnt be bothered and the free installation lapsed ... he now had to pay out of own pocket

Quote Originally Posted by proud owner
    one drawback is that ...they may have the contract but dont follow up ..

and aircon service company ..if tenant dont call ..they also dont care
    Can followup with the contractor.

It's really depending on the tenants. I had a really good polish tenant - she took care of the place even nicer than myself! Even while staying in it, the place is machiam showflat condition. Totally impressed.

Corporate lease is still better than personal lease.
    pros and cons ...

getting to close to tenant subject yourself to.."as friends, can do this do that for me"

i do agree that once in a while ..just drive by and take a look( landed) from outside

since i am oversea..i visited it once during home leave at lunar new year..
    guess what ?

tenant told me " i hope you are not moving back to singapore too soon..cos i am not planning to move out yet"

good that they like my house ...

i am quite blessed .. my tenants so far have been really good.

the current one even emailed me ..about the Opennet fibre optic installation .. and forwarded me all the forms etc ..so that they (tenant) can oversee the works..

meanwhile my friend's tenant ..couldnt be bothered and the free installation lapsed ... he now had to pay out of own pocket

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlxxvi
    It's really depending on the tenants. I had a really good polish tenant - she took care of the place even nicer than myself! Even while staying in it, the place is machiam showflat condition. Totally impressed.
    very true

my first tenant was a american ID .. they decorated my house damn nice ..
    i took pics
    i later used the pics to show my next foreign tenants who havent even arrived ..
    they rented my place based on the pic only

Next tenancy lined up is a corporate lease.

I don't know if it will work out better, as in tenants caring for the place a little bit.

But, better than leave it vacant.

very true

my first tenant was a american ID .. they decorated my house damn nice ..
    i took pics
    i later used the pics to show my next foreign tenants who havent even arrived ..
    they rented my place based on the pic only
    fantastic, you got an ID as a tenant.

In that line of argument, I should get a professional who works in cleaning services (or even cleaning ah ma) to rent mine... or someone who works with property developer.... or someone with OCD... hypochondriac...etc

you have to get those big boss ones, cos when they use your unit to entertain, they need to show by example. there's where you get the collateral benefits.

Pal, you also rent out Ardmore Park?

consider this .. i did it and worked ..

i mark up the rental a little more..and get the aricon service contract myself ..

that way i know the aircon is being serviced well ..

Agree lor, I'm doing this too. Air-con spoilt it's ok, just that for the trunking pipe will cost a bomb.

Hi All

Have u had tenants who don't take care of our rooms parquet flooring and leave deep stretched marks on it? OR it may be damaged by tenant's movers who stretched the floor while moving. Do u deduct from the deposit to get it varnished/restored or is this counted as "normal wear & tear"? Tks

Quote Originally Posted by jc
    Hi All

Have u had tenants who don't take care of our rooms parquet flooring and leave deep stretched marks on it? OR it may be damaged by tenant's movers who stretched the floor while moving. Do u deduct from the deposit to get it varnished/restored or is this counted as "normal wear & tear"? Tks
    vy common. mine caused by CATS scratching b4. but most of the time, tenant themselves use roller chairs tat destroy the parquet flooring. nowadays, i begin very naggy...will tell them to take care this and tat...like an oldman

slight scratches goto accept it as wear and tear. deep ones u can charge them. just hold back the deposit and get a contractor to quote. just grind and varnish will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Property_Owner
    Pal, you also rent out Ardmore Park?
    bo ardmore wor

all my rental below 10k pm

Quote Originally Posted by jc
    Hi All

the line is very fine .. between wear and tear , and carelessness

a lot to do with luck what kind of tenant u get ..

best Avoid China bird/duck ...damn terok .. when the leave ..they can take some small items you dont even know

my friend's tenant .. duplicate the key .. hand over that time ..check all ok ..

then tenant leave .. next week went back to unit .. the TV and ceiling lamp also kana stolen

no prove that its the tenant lah .. but who else got key ?? cant be agent right ?

the line is very fine .. between wear and tear , and carelessness

a lot to do with luck what kind of tenant u get ..

best Avoid China bird/duck ...damn terok .. when the leave ..they can take some small items you dont even know

my friend's tenant .. duplicate the key .. hand over that time ..check all ok ..

then tenant leave .. next week went back to unit .. the TV and ceiling lamp also kana stolen

no prove that its the tenant lah .. but who else got key ?? cant be agent right ?
    lol. scary

lol. scary

ahha seriously ..damn jialat ...

then again there are really nasty landlord..

my expat colleague rented a landed at holland area ..

the wife put sticker hook to hang drying clothe .. when they left ..the LL demanded that they remove the hooks( ?? )
    they did ..but left behind small amt of spongy white sticker .. like that also kana deposit deducted ..

also ..the rubbish truck reverse and hit the rubbish bin and cracked it ..
    LL also charged him

poor man kept the house so well .. in the end still kana penalised for ridiculous things

really down to luck the tenant you get.