Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rosewood or Northoaks?

My pleasure. But do make your fair assessment yourself. You should also view casablanca, rosewood suite and woodsvale to form a more complete picture of the condos at woodslands. My top picks are still rosewood and northoaks.

I like to look at properties in the north (and my relatives are there) so I analyse northern condos a fair bit. I feel comparing northoaks to rosewood is not comparing apple to apple. It is better to compare rosewood to casablanca and rosewood suites while comparing northoaks to woodsvale. Rosewood and northoaks are one mrt stations apart - do you compare district 15 to district 16 condos? (Not the best analogy but I think I've made my point)

Besides, choosing a condo is not about just proximity to mrt or layout of rooms - else HDBs are the best bet with good locations and layouts at a fraction of the price.

It is the 'feeling' or chemistry that you experience when you step in - hence I keep reiterating you should go down to view instead of trying to make a judgement based on reviews on the web.

Cheers and good luck

I went to view woodsvale, northoaks and casablanca the last weekend. I must say that I like casablaca the best. Very relax feeling, guess it is because it is new. But their asking price is about 788K - 820 K for a 3 bedder 712 psf which is out of my budget of 700K - 750K I think it is a bit ex for me. Between northoaks and woodsvale, i prefer northoaks, big pool etc.
    Still i prefer casablanca. Rosewood facilitlies seems not too bad. Will be viewing after agent arrange and see how it goes. I might just drop buying for now and wait if prices for both casa and rose wood are beyond my budget. Just dun know when it will drop. Perhaps a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by lindatlc
    I went to view woodsvale, northoaks and casablanca the last weekend. I must say that I like casablaca the best. Very relax feeling, guess it is because it is new. But their asking price is about 788K - 820 K for a 3 bedder 712 psf which is out of my budget of 700K - 750K I think it is a bit ex for me. Between northoaks and woodsvale, i prefer northoaks, big pool etc.
    Still i prefer casablanca. Rosewood facilitlies seems not too bad. Will be viewing after agent arrange and see how it goes. I might just drop buying for now and wait if prices for both casa and rose wood are beyond my budget. Just dun know when it will drop. Perhaps a few years?
    Instead of waiting for prices to drop, may be you should think in the mean time how to increase your budget to buy the dream unit at casablanca.

Although it is reasonable to expect property prices to correct eventually, nobody knows when and also by how much. It could happen that prices will keep on rising from now and when correction happens, the lower price may still be higher than what it is now. Also, if correction occurs, do you think there will be that many sellers putting their units on fire sale? Even if there are, do you think you will be one of those lucky dudes getting your hand on those super bargains?

I was quoted a 2-bedder at Floridian in early 2009 at less than $1,200 psf which I found it good but beyond my budget as my CPF OA investment was in very much in the red then. When the share market improves in early 2010 and with more savings on my part, I bought my unit at Cube 8 at around $1,300 psf which became affordable to me even though the price is a new high for that area. I recently came to know that newer releases (better viewing & bigger units) at Floridian in July is going from $1,600 psf.

Therefore, don't buy bcoz you think price is low enough but buy only if you like it and it is within your budget. When prices start to drop, people will worry/hope that it would continue to drop further and will not buy even if price is within their budget. That's just normal people mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by wesing
    Instead of waiting for prices to drop, may be you should think in the mean time how to increase your budget to buy the dream unit at casablanca.

Although it is reasonable to expect property prices to correct eventually, nobody knows when and also by how much. It could happen that prices will keep on rising from now and when correction happens, the lower price may still be higher than what it is now. Also, if correction occurs, do you think there will be that many sellers putting their units on fire sale? Even if there are, do you think you will be one of those lucky dudes getting your hand on those super bargains?

I was quoted a 2-bedder at Floridian in early 2009 at less than $1,200 psf which I found it good but beyond my budget as my CPF OA investment was in very much in the red then. When the share market improves in early 2010 and with more savings on my part, I bought my unit at Cube 8 at around $1,300 psf which became affordable to me even though the price is a new high for that area. I recently came to know that newer releases (better viewing & bigger units) at Floridian in July is going from $1,600 psf.

Therefore, don't buy bcoz you think price is low enough but buy only if you like it and it is within your budget. When prices start to drop, people will worry/hope that it would continue to drop further and will not buy even if price is within their budget. That's just normal people mindset.
    I agree. A friend once told me " if it's for self stay and you like it, then it's usually a good investment' - this is because you are investing in your residence-to-be, not trying to flip it off. Also, it's unlikely prices will drop - stabilize yes, but the far north market has been suppressed for too long. There are far too many new developments that will bring rise to the stagnant property prices.

I like Casablanca for it's resort-like ambience but give the unit a thorough glance first. This project was known to most developers to have many building faults largely thanks to FEO's scrimp-saving efforts back then so be sure to get more info.

I guess all of us look at developments differently. I do agree with you that casa does give a resort feel (much more than rosewood) with its nice pool area and it looks newer (though I believe both development are just one year apart) as Rosewood will only be repainting starting in Aug 2010. I chose rosewood then as I feel its internal quality is better, has basement carpark (which is a must for drivers) and it is nearer to amenities.

Good luck and do not let the asking price at Casa bother you. Just make an offer of $730-750k and you may be surprised that some may just let go. I believe you should still get a decent unit at $750k at rosewood though many owners will prefer for the development to be repainted before they make a fresh position to sell or to hold.

good luck!

you might want to find out the original owner's purchase price

how many transactions has been made since launched..

how much did they sell for...

then you will roughly know how long you have to hold and the selling price in future.

Thanks Tboonk and cashrich. Now waiting for agent to look for one around 730K-750K... else will go for northoaks

Thanks Tboonk and cashrich. Now waiting for agent to look for one around 730K-750K... else will go for northoaks
    Go to streetsine.com and check the caveats so you know roughly the average psf and also how mch the condo has appreciated over the years that should give you a better understanding of the market prices...

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    Go to streetsine.com and check the caveats so you know roughly the average psf and also how mch the condo has appreciated over the years that should give you a better understanding of the market prices...
    hahaha..... good attempt... just remember to add in how much it has appreciated as compared to other condo's which had appreciated more..

the whole island has appreciated generally... oxy moron.

Hi, it is true, I have called up HDB . My 5 years of occupancy is 01 Oct. I have asked the officer if I can appeal to buy earlier and the answer is no. Will be fine if they found out
    Upon further checking it emerged that the first plaintiff had no problems with respect to HDB’s minimum occupation period arising from his obtaining the Option, which is distinct from the exercise of an Option or the sale and purchase of the Property. The relevant statutory provision is section 49A of the Housing and Development Act (Cap 129, 2004 Rev Ed), which only prohibits a sale, and not the mere holding of an option which is not exercised.

Quote Originally Posted by mantrix
    Northoaks for me. I've viewed both - go in and see and you'll know. Also, traffic is better and you are not restricted to only causeway point - travel the other way and there's sunplaza + sembawang shopping centre. Rosewood is beside casablanca and with rosewood suites coming up the residential enclave is becoming more congested. Northoaks is beside a huge park and a school - it's Woodsvale that is closer to the HDBs.

Also on SAS - rosewood is not that close anyway. Better to buy woodgrove condo if you really want some proximity (from woodgrove condo it is still a good 10-15 min walk)

If sending kids to SAS, and you need 5 min to drive from rosewood to SAS and 8min from northoaks would u be willing to pay extra 100psf for the 3minutes u save driving?

You may not know this (insider info) but Northoaks is becoming fully privatised this october - prices expected to go up by 5% or more as I've heard many ang moh tenants waiting to offer (who work in the shipyard and their kids go to SAS)

Anyway this is my opinion - at the end of the day, both condos are still value for money cos Woodlands area is still way undervalued (along w yishun / sembawang) along with rest of the market so if it's for self-stay, it will be a good buy. For investment - you might need to wait a tad longer.
    You are right on, should view NorthOaks....... but have to emphasize not all units are equal.... some are really good. The price to value is attractive compared to the rest.