Thread: Cooling the property market, flexibly

mr funny is offline Any complaints please PM me

Default Cooling the property market, flexibly

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/sub/...02412,00.html?

Editorial

Published September 3, 2010

Cooling the property market, flexibly

THE Singapore government has acted swiftly and decisively in introducing new and tougher rules to dampen property speculation - the third time in a year that the authorities have moved to cool an overheating market.

Among the many changes announced earlier this week are a requirement for HDB resale flat buyers to sell off any existing private property they own - including property overseas - within six months of the flat purchase. Also, those who want to buy a second home while still paying for an existing mortgage must pay more upfront.

Many Singaporeans, especially those looking to buy their first HDB flat, cheered the new regulations. But with the economy now expected to slow down in the second half of this year after stellar growth in the first six months, a calibrated approach is required to ensure that the moves will help stabilise the private property market and prevent a bubble from forming. The priorities must be to weed out property speculators and provide as many deserving people as possible the opportunity to own an affordable home.

As with any blanket ruling, there will be some who will become victims of unintended consequences. For instance, permanent residents (PRs) who are looking to buy a resale flat will now have to sell their private property in their home countries.

How the government will enforce this effectively and impose the relevant penalties on offenders remains unclear, for it would be easy for someone to simply transfer deeds to family members who are not Singapore citizens or PRs. Another possible 'loophole' would be for the PR to buy the resale flat by proxy.

The new rules could also affect private property sellers, in particular those who sell within three years of the purchase as they must now fork out stamp duty of up to 3 per cent of the sale price. Previously, the seller's stamp duty applied only to resale within the first year after purchase.

Some would-be sellers might now think twice before putting their properties up for sale. But this would only be the case for sellers at the margin. So worries in some quarters that the ruling would contribute to a shortfall in private property supply and in the process induce an escalation in prices and defeat the very purpose of the new measures are largely unfounded.

While it's important to introduce measures to curb speculation and prevent a property bubble, there is also need for some flexibility to ensure that genuine home buyers - such as those who wish to purchase a second home for their elderly parents - are not denied the option to do so.

For a start, HDB should be for only citizen it is a priviege to be citizen..PR should be able to own HDB only once they are willing to convert to citizen... it is a choice given to them to show their commitment, loyalty and appreciation to the country that give them opportunity...but How to do it?

firstly, those PR who cannot decide to be citizen yet should be able to enjoy the current privileges(which can be further controlled if there is a need) but MINUS away the right to own a HDB, this is fair for them to be given a chance to try out whether they are able to adapt to the society here...only those PR who are able to commit and willing to be converted to citizenship would be allow to buy HDB...

this will weed out those foreign opportunist who just come here to earn a quick buck, compete with citizen for HDB opportunity and have no commitment to stay here n loyal to this beloved country I love. this is also to disallow citizen to be deprived of better chance due to this group of foreign opportunist who are here for short term and have no long term commitment(once you have long term commitment, who can stop you to be a citizen, so no excuse on that)

These foreign opportunist who dont want to have full commitment to this country can still work but add value to singapore by buying prviate property or pay rental(if they not able to buy private)...this is more fair to all singaporeans(citizens)...

I am looking forward to PR's buying now.

I'm also looking forward to see which type of PR will buy now.
    I suspect it'll be the type the govt wants the least - the less rich / talented ones with no homes back home. Or cheap homes that they can sell without thinking too hard about. The richer/talented ones with multiple homes overseas - I doubt if they'll want a HDB now. Desired effect?

Quote Originally Posted by gn108
    I'm also looking forward to see which type of PR will buy now.
    I suspect it'll be the type the govt wants the least - the less rich / talented ones with no homes back home. Or cheap homes that they can sell without thinking too hard about. The richer/talented ones with multiple homes overseas - I doubt if they'll want a HDB now. Desired effect?
    Isn't that is what govt want? HDB for poorer category and condo for richer group!