Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: FH condo Near Primary School. Need your advice

When you have your own kids and it is their turn, you will understand lah. Its a guilt trip that you just don't want to go through. let's say you have the ability, the means, the option to put your kid into a "named" school.

You choose not to, you put him in a no name neighbourhood school.

Fine, he could be happier (or not?). Maybe he will do really well in studies, after which by secondary, he will end up in a named school anyway.

But what if he doesn't do well? Then, for your whole life after that, you will be asking yourself "what if I had put him in that named school? maybe he would have done better." And you can't turn back the clock. You can't change his school anymore since his bad results won't get him into that school anymore. YOu will now have to live with that guilt forever.

Alternatively. You take the option. You can and you do send him to a named school. He does well, you are happy. You did your part as a parent. Maybe the school had absolutely nothing to do with it, but who cares, he is doing well.

Or, you take the option. He doesn't do well! But, at least you tried. You have done everything within your power as a parent to stack the odds in his favour. But he didn't take the advantages he had. So, at least you don't feel any guilt. You have honestly tried your best, but some thing ultimately still need the child himself to do. You can't sit for that exam for him.

So you see? When all has been said and done, if you have the means, the option, you will still take it. The people who are able to send their kids to a named school and purposely choose not to are a minority.

Quote Originally Posted by teddybear
    What failed? MOE failed mainly because they did not give enough priority to singapore citizens! They should change the system such that PRs are only eligible for phase 3 & foreigners phase 4! They should just scrap priority for Grassroots & PVs! Why should anybody affiliated to a political party have priority? Why should parents be treated like free labors for schools & MOE through PVs?

You like it or not, 99.999% of all kids have same mental capability, it is through nurturing that they become better. So people know where to hedge their bet if their kids are just average, & take advantage of the connections that come from the schools to make themselves successful in life when they grow up. I am just being frank here. Don't think many people want to reveal such inner secrets!
    99.999%? wow, teddy, you are sure good at taking a hare out a top hat.

humans come in all colors and different grades of mental sharpness. the top 20% scorers on IQ test are like day and night compared with the bottom 20% scorers.

MOE should look at you and say "the system has failed, as indicated by the style of debate exhibited by Teddy, all lies and no substance."

Talking

So. My parents did the right thing when he paid a security guard to stand in the queue to get me a place in a "named" school. My children can be there becos of me. The future generation also benefitted from their wise action then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldenfirefly
    When you have your own kids and it is their turn, you will understand lah. Its a guilt trip that you just don't want to go through. let's say you have the ability, the means, the option to put your kid into a "named" school.

Fine, he could be happier (or not?). Maybe he will do really well in studies, after which by secondary, he will end up in a named school anyway.

But what if he doesn't do well? Then, for your whole life after that, you will be asking yourself "what if I had put him in that named school? maybe he would have done better." And you can't turn back the clock. You can't change his school anymore since his bad results won't get him into that school anymore. YOu will now have to live with that guilt forever.

Alternatively. You take the option. You can and you do send him to a named school. He does well, you are happy. You did your part as a parent. Maybe the school had absolutely nothing to do with it, but who cares, he is doing well.

Or, you take the option. He doesn't do well! But, at least you tried. You have done everything within your power as a parent to stack the odds in his favour. But he didn't take the advantages he had. So, at least you don't feel any guilt. You have honestly tried your best, but some thing ultimately still need the child himself to do. You can't sit for that exam for him.

So you see? When all has been said and done, if you have the means, the option, you will still take it. The people who are able to send their kids to a named school and purposely choose not to are a minority.

don't try too hard. kids will do well where they go if they are bright.

if your kids are kind of mediocre, sending him to "good" schools will destroy him intellectually and spiritually.

trying hard in the world is not the same as making intelligent decisions.

Agreed! TOP grader does not equate to TOP earner. There are BOTTOM grader who employs TOP grader to make $ for them. BOTTOM grader has nothing to loose while TOP grader has a lot to lose when venturing outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    don't try too hard. kids will do well where they go if they are bright.

if your kids are kind of mediocre, sending him to "good" schools will destroy him intellectually and spiritually.

trying hard in the world is not the same as making intelligent decisions.

staling then why did you try to send ur kid to Nanhua ? since u dun believe in "named" schools ?

Quote Originally Posted by amk
    staling then why did you try to send ur kid to Nanhua ? since u dun believe in "named" schools ?
    we live nearby. What else can we do?

Quote Originally Posted by DC33_2008
    Agreed! TOP grader does not equate to TOP earner. There are BOTTOM grader who employs TOP grader to make $ for them. BOTTOM grader has nothing to loose while TOP grader has a lot to lose when venturing outside.
    True. So as a parent, cannot be too one track minded lor. For some kids, acadamic is just not their thing. But even so, a basic education is still important. If you can't read, write or do basic math properly, even if you want to start your own business next time, it will be tough.

I don't want to insist that my kids next time go out and must be doctor, or lawyer, etc. But I know that having a good education will increase their chances in life. As I said, the odds are stacked in their favour instead of against them.

I am sure we can find some examples of some school dropout that become big tow kay. Heck I heard Bill Gates was a school drop out! But then again, let's not forget, for that one single Bill Gates school drop out who suceeded, there are probably thousands more school drop outs who are in a dead end job just getting by...

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit
    Before I get misunderstood, let me state that I am not belittling parents who mean well for their child and want the best for them. I can empathise with that.
    ur post is fair. to be honest most parents know best school does not always mean best result. however, just as Eldenfirefly put it, parents feel responsible to do it. It's not a matter of what you ultimately believe. also trust me, most parents won't feel it's end of the world if they can't get in. so no need to console them when it happens S'poreans are just kiasu. No harm trying.

ur post is fair. to be honest most parents know best school does not mean best result. however, just as Eldenfirefly put it, parents feel responsible to do it. It's not a matter of what you ultimately believe. also trust me, most parents won't feel it's end of the world if they can't get in. so no need to console them when it happens S'poreans are just kiasu. No harm trying.
    that is right.

no harm trying, but no tears when stymied. that should be the attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by stalingrad
    we live nearby. What else can we do?
    u can try qifa right ? why u never try ?

I fully agree with you. We are providing more than basic education for our children in today's context. Like Stralingrad, get a FH property near the "named" school and get your children in there and enjoy the benefits in capital gain of property and do not have headache of future generation in getting a place in a "named" school. My parents did that too. Pity those children who have to wake up so early and travel long distance to make it to a "named" school.
    True. So as a parent, cannot be too one track minded lor. For some kids, acadamic is just not their thing. But even so, a basic education is still important. If you can't read, write or do basic math properly, even if you want to start your own business next time, it will be tough.

I don't want to insist that my kids next time go out and must be doctor, or lawyer, etc. But I know that having a good education will increase their chances in life. As I said, the odds are stacked in their favour instead of against them.

I am sure we can find some examples of some school dropout that become big tow kay. Heck I heard Bill Gates was a school drop out! But then again, let's not forget, for that one single Bill Gates school drop out who suceeded, there are probably thousands more school drop outs who are in a dead end job just getting by...

I fully agree with you. We are providing more than basic education for our children in today's context. Like Stralingrad, get a FH property near the "named" school and get your children in there and enjoy the benefits in capital gain of property and do not have headache of future generation in getting a place in a "named" school. My parents did that too. Pity those children who have to wake up so early and travel long distance to make it to a "named" school.
    I never think so far until future generation beyond my kids lar. Unless you only have one single child and plan to leave it to him, still ok. Otherwise, what if you have two or three kids? Then next time they end up in newspaper quarreling and going to court over that house laggi worse!

u can try qifa right ? why u never try ?
    We actually almost went to Qifa, and we were impressed with the principal. At least she spoke english better than the Nanhua principal.

we ended up going to Canadian School because we were moving back to Toronto in a few years, and the schedule is more convenient. at canadian school, school hours are 9am to 3pm. at Qifa, it is 6am to 1pm. It is tough for kids that sleep late and get up late.

The teachings and family bonding are therefore important. You can see those fighting over parents' properties are quite well to do people. Very sad. They could be from 'named' schools too! Otherwise, just get a few properties there.
    I never think so far until future generation beyond my kids lar. Unless you only have one single child and plan to leave it to him, still ok. Otherwise, what if you have two or three kids? Then next time they end up in newspaper quarreling and going to court over that house laggi worse!

The teachings and family bonding are therefore important. You can see those fighting over parents' properties are quite well to do people. Very sad. They could be from 'named' schools too! Otherwise, just get a few properties there.
    Got a saying "Money is the root of all evil." A bunglow now already a few million. 20 years later, how many more million will it be? When people are presented with the chance to get that kind of money, they can lui ching bu ren already. Even if father still alive also can happily go to court and fight it out.

If you have more than 1 child (say 2 or more), and you have wealth to leave behind. Then my advice. Spell it out very very clearly in a will. If you find yourself getting so old that you fear that mentally, you will no longer be capable of making decision. Then at that point, tell your lawyer you will not be signing any further documents because you doubt your mental capacity to do so. Then treat your affairs like you are dying, then make it clear to your kids and tell them you are not signing any future documents or will ever!

Family harmony more important than money. Don't give your kids the temptation. Sometimes, when they are married, then its not just them already. They also have a spouse who is telling them all sorts of things. Cannot assume that just because they are family means they won't be tempted with money. Even if they aren't, what if their spouse is? They may listen to you as a father, but they may listen to their spouse even more!

i think its good that parents do some research and some even visit schools to speak to the principal or get references from friends, relatives, etc before making a decision.
    It would be silly to just base on feedback from kiasuparents and see the top ranking list and then aim for those schools. that is really a failure on the parents part where they chose to follow the crowd...

we can't compare to our parents era. There was no internet so the research is only that much they could do from hearsay....
    today, we have so many tools, i mean look at the registration process, parents are well equipped with online data on vacancy status on schools under their radar to see how their options pan out.....
    some only register at the last minute to ensure greater success!

Duplicate. Delete

Fully agree that Money is the roots of all evil. Kids are very smart these days. In fact, they are so smarter than what we think. Fortunately, we know them very well from young in terms of character as we are their parents. You can hide other form of investments but not properties. Well, we just have to manage them. Anyone can have a will drafted by lawyer starting at 21 years old. I believe it has to be fair otherwise it will create friction amongs the siblings. Besides will, set-up a Trust to control the money left behind to them.
    Got a saying "Money is the root of all evil." A bunglow now already a few million. 20 years later, how many more million will it be? When people are presented with the chance to get that kind of money, they can lui ching bu ren already. Even if father still alive also can happily go to court and fight it out.

If you have more than 1 child (say 2 or more), and you have wealth to leave behind. Then my advice. Spell it out very very clearly in a will. If you find yourself getting so old that you fear that mentally, you will no longer be capable of making decision. Then at that point, tell your lawyer you will not be signing any further documents because you doubt your mental capacity to do so. Then treat your affairs like you are dying, then make it clear to your kids and tell them you are not signing any future documents or will ever!

Family harmony more important than money. Don't give your kids the temptation. Sometimes, when they are married, then its not just them already. They also have a spouse who is telling them all sorts of things. Cannot assume that just because they are family means they won't be tempted with money. Even if they aren't, what if their spouse is? They may listen to you as a father, but they may listen to their spouse even more!

Fully agree that Money is the roots of all evil. Kids are very smart these days. In fact, they are so smarter than what we think. Fortunately, we know them very well from young in terms of character as we are their parents. You can hide other form of investments but not properties. Well, we just have to manage them. Anyone can have a will drafted by lawyer starting at 21 years old. I believe it has to be fair otherwise it will create friction amongs the siblings. Besides will, set-up a Trust to control the money left behind to them.
    Good for you. I do not have so much cash to leave my kids or at least I don't expect to have so much. I'll travel till I drop in my golden years... hahaha! Nothing left except only 1 or 2 pieces of properties with no cash! No need trust!!!

1-2 properties in Singapore in the future should be worth millions....
    and kids normally fight over inheritance of your property, not your cash....
    ahhahahaha

but the key is to make them independant. i will only fund them up till university. after that they are on their own. would even encourage them to move out! dont understand why some children still live with their parents into their 30s....

Properties are better than cash as cash will devalue with time. Just like what my parents pay for a 10,000sqft FH land 50 years ago. It has gone up by more than 400 times in current price
    Quote Originally Posted by ysyap
    Good for you. I do not have so much cash to leave my kids or at least I don't expect to have so much. I'll travel till I drop in my golden years... hahaha! Nothing left except only 1 or 2 pieces of properties with no cash! No need trust!!!

If not properly addressed, even one single property also enough to cause people to go to court and air all the dirty laundry. Money can do strange things to people sometimes.

Properties are better than cash as cash will devalue with time. Just like what my parents pay for a 10,000sqft FH land 50 years ago. It has gone up by more than 400 times in current price
    Lucky u. What do you think if FH landed grow by average nett 5% YoY for 50years. Should be quite possible ?

10k sqft FH land
    1960: $25k
    2011: $10m
    2061: ?>$100m

Yep totally agreed. Should travel once the kids are independent. You never know when your health might take a turn for the worse. It seems to me that our generation is not as hardy as those in our parents' generation. I think we are subject to more stress and unhealthy life style factors than they were (eg junk food, pollution).

Can forget about Rosyth. Can't get in even if you stay across the road!!! Those guys pay good money for Terrasse for this school but can't even be sure if they can get in! I'd rather prefer to send my kids to the 'not so prime' schools but still reasonably competitive for 2 simple reasons.

1. Higher chance of getting in and so not wasted all the earlier efforts and money thrown in to buy that nearby home.
    2. Kids will not be subjected to those competitive environment. I'd rather they enjoy more in primary school than be so stressed up at such a tender age. (Some parents may disagree but this is purely a personal opinion).
    I want to stay near Rosyth because both my wife and me are from Rosyth.

Tiring for the kid if she has to travel far to go to school. I remember I got to get on my school bus at 6am to go to Rosyth Primary when young. Granted that the bus trip was pretty fun as we played lots of games, it is still a big waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by howgozit

Put your child in a primary school of your convenience. If his IQ belongs to the top 1-2% of his cohort, he will be in GEP where you can pick and choose the school you want. If he is not GEP material, all is not lost, with the right coaching and direction, he will still make it if he has the qualities.

Get him to right IP school, that's where it counts. If he is not IP material, than relax, your child is like the rest of the 90% of Singaporeans.

I am from Heng Ah Khe Bong primary from p1-3 and Rosyth from p4-6. I have been in a really BAD primary school and a really good primary school.

Seriously your peers does make a LOT of difference to your schooling life. It is not about the school or the teachers, but the classmates.

Quote Originally Posted by chiaberry
    Yep totally agreed. Should travel once the kids are independent. You never know when your health might take a turn for the worse. It seems to me that our generation is not as hardy as those in our parents' generation. I think we are subject to more stress and unhealthy life style factors than they were (eg junk food, pollution).
    why wait until your kid is independent? Can travel when your kid are small. Very fun actually.

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    I want to stay near Rosyth because both my wife and me are from Rosyth.

Tiring for the kid if she has to travel far to go to school. I remember I got to get on my school bus at 6am to go to Rosyth Primary when young. Granted that the bus trip was pretty fun as we played lots of games, it is still a big waste of time.
    If you don't qualify to buy HDB, then you can't stay across the road to your old school. Terrasse is calling out to you...